Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Unrealistic" body goals

In the last few days I've seen a girl in her 20s be told that wanting a flat belly is unrealistic and a guy be told that sub 10% bf was largely genetics.

When I started my journey, I was obese and from Day 1 I had a "unrealistic" goal physique. It took me over a decade but I achieved that goal and so have hundreds of thousands of other people so why call it unrealistic? It's only so if you believe it.

Instead of discouraging someone looking to achieve something remarkable, why not just say "go for it!"?

Thoughts?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I agree that no one should be discouraged from their goals, as long as they are safe and healthy.

But, there is a difference between "unrealistic" and "impossible".

Using yourself as an example, you said it took you over a decade to reach your goal. You proved that it was not impossible! But, many people (I would guess a majority), don't have the patience or dedication to stick with it for so long. People get frustrated after a while, and may end up settling for something less than their ultimate goal.

I think that, for trainers and other people in the fitness business, it's important to be honest with their clients. Saying something like, "That's a great goal, but it's going to be a long process and a lot of hard work to get there. Are you up for it?"

That's kind of my point; they're projecting their own limitations or lack of commitment onto someone else, after that person has already identified their goal. They act as if it's almost humanly impossible when hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people have already proved it possible. Maybe its insecurity?

It also depends on who is making the "unrealistic" comment. If it's the person's trainer, then the trainer is also trying to cover their own butt and tamp down expectations.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    I agree that no one should be discouraged from their goals, as long as they are safe and healthy.

But, there is a difference between "unrealistic" and "impossible".

Using yourself as an example, you said it took you over a decade to reach your goal. You proved that it was not impossible! But, many people (I would guess a majority), don't have the patience or dedication to stick with it for so long. People get frustrated after a while, and may end up settling for something less than their ultimate goal.

I think that, for trainers and other people in the fitness business, it's important to be honest with their clients. Saying something like, "That's a great goal, but it's going to be a long process and a lot of hard work to get there. Are you up for it?"

That's kind of my point; they're projecting their own limitations or lack of commitment onto someone else, after that person has already identified their goal. They act as if it's almost humanly impossible when hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people have already proved it possible. Maybe its insecurity?

It also depends on who is making the "unrealistic" comment. If it's the person's trainer, then the trainer is also trying to cover their own butt and tamp down expectations.

Ahh, I could see that. But that's a trainer that should get fired.
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Wow...I think is a great one. I agree with @cwolfman13 , what is unrealistic is NOT impossible. I am living proof of that. I actually have been as low as sub 9% per dexa, probably lower because I dropped another 8 lbs after getting it, and was 6.1 bod pod and 6 % via trained calipers. I had feathered shoulders and would have had ripped abs if it were not for all my loose skin. Would I have ever though that this was possible after being grossly obese for years? Hell no. So, it was not impossible, but realistically maintainable? Well, kept it for almost 2 years. Worst 2 years of my life though. Like being a living anorexic. Actually was diagnosed as anorexic by a therapist. Worth it. **Kitten** no! So, realistic for me is probably in the mid 20's bf and being closer to 225lbs. I tell peoplr who want to lose weight to find a goal, and be happy with half of it. If you are 40% bf, shoot for the moon, but be happy with 20%. JMHO....

Love this, so much truth. Good job, man!