October 2020 Monthly Running Challange

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Trails yesterday, 5 miles running plus 5k hiking. We went off the usual path trying to find out where the local kids go along the Wolf river bank when we see lights strung back in the woods at night - I have been told there’s a sandy beach back there. We didn’t find the right beach I don’t think, unless the kids around there are VERY conscientious - no trash at all - but we did find A beach. We ended up following a deer trail into chiggerville, tons of long grass tramped down. We flushed a sleepy doe out of the grass and she looked very surprised.

The run itself was hot and slow - almost 80 - but otherwise nice. I checked out my Strava flybys when done and found the well fit young couple who passed us right as we arrived were a newly married couple having their first married run together! Many happy returns to them! And the older dude slogging by was in the middle of an 11 miler, good for him. I love looking at my flybys, it’s a unexpected window into all sorts of stories. Like, the nice lady who said hi to us as she passed us a couple weeks ago is a running coach, and although she was running about our pace that day, her best mile is 4 minutes and something and her best marathon time is under three hours! And one of the tiny handful of people who run behind my grocery store is the dude who won the St Jude Marathon last year!
    r47r4hdu8u41.jpeg
    Does anyone know what these are? We thought they were some sort of nut, but when punctured they are full of blood red juice.
    pbow05omv80z.jpeg
    Deer field on the banks of the river.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo thank you for the recommendations! Also! I did see some Asics on sale!!!! Like $60! I can't remember where, but it is definitely happening!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,007 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo You are doing great on your approach to recovery and being patient, even with the setbacks. Hope the shoes work out!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,007 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Sounds like you had a nice run/hike. Wonder what the strava flybys say about you? I have no idea what those are? Could it be an insects cocoon?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo thank you for the recommendations! Also! I did see some Asics on sale!!!! Like $60! I can't remember where, but it is definitely happening!

OMG even with international postage that's a bargain!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    10/01/20 :::: 2.1 :::: 2.1
    10/02/20 :::: 1.8 :::: 3.9
    10/03/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 8.9
    10/04/20 :::: 3.6 :::: 12.4
    10/05/20 :::: 1.9 :::: 14.3
    10/06/20 :::: 1.5 :::: 15.9
    10/07/20 :::: 2.7 :::: 18.5
    10/08/20 :::: 2.0 :::: 20.6
    10/09/20 :::: 4.2 :::: 24.7
    10/10/20 :::: 3.0 :::: 27.8
    10/11/20 :::: 3.5 :::: 31.2
    10/12/20 :::: 2.4 :::: 33.6

I did yoga this morning, even though I thought I was too busy to take the time, and I was glad I did it. But I didn't get a run in before or after that, so had to do it after work. I chose a short trail loop so that I knew it wouldn't take too long and I wouldn't be watching my watch to see when I could turn around the whole time. I felt like I was going faster than usual for this route but Garmin says no and gave me the blue/green rating for most of it. So hard to please!

Thanks all for the encouragement on the contact wearing. I had better success today. I definitely did not have one in my left eye yesterday and I could tell right away that I saw better this morning when I put two in. With a little struggle still, but better. And I got them out easily at the end of the day. I'm having some trouble with distance vision though which I don't really need much correction for but I know the doctor was telling me it was a balance to correct the near and not make the distance worse. We'll see how it goes. I did like not wearing my glasses all day.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I wore glasses as a kid and then contacts for about 20 years. Until I got Lasik. That has been amazing. It's unreal to me still that people can just SEE when they wake up!!

I've worn glasses ever since I was 8 - this makes me want to get Lasik.

@Avidkeo Glad you didn't give into the temptations. You're doing good, and there is no such thing as being too careful when it comes to recovery!

@rheddmobile That's so interesting! Too bad nobody around where I live uses Strava.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    If any of you are Amazon Prime members, they are having some good deals on Garmins right now. I had been wanting a new watch to replace my Forerunner 245, and I was able to order a Vivoactive 4s for $199 - they are usually $350.

Pump last night, but no run. Things are busy busy.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    If any of you are Amazon Prime members, they are having some good deals on Garmins right now. I had been wanting a new watch to replace my Forerunner 245, and I was able to order a Vivoactive 4s for $199 - they are usually $350.

Pump last night, but no run. Things are busy busy.

That's a steal!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    10-1 7k easy
    10-2 7k slow
    10-3 7k slow
    10-4 7k easy
    10-5 rest
    10-6 7k easy
    10-7 7k easy
    10-8 7k easy
    10-9 7k easy
    10-10 7k easy
    10-11 7k easy
    10-12 rest
    10-13 7k easy
    10-14 7k easy

October Total: 84k
    October Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k
    July Total: 180k
    August Total: 172k
    September Total: 176k

2020 Total through September: 1584k / 176k per month

Clear, mid 40s F, and no wind this morning. Nice running weather.
    Hard to believe October's nearly half over....

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles - Completed 10-11
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020
    Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders -- Completed 9-29

2020 races:

9-8 to 9-13 "Virtual Boston with Vincent" Time goal 5:15:00; actual time 4:47:01
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    October Goal: 100 Miles

10/1: 6.24 miles
    10/4: 11.02 miles
    10/6: 6.22 miles
    10/7: 6.22 miles
    10/8: 6.23 miles
    10/11: 11.04 miles
    10/13: 6.02 miles
    10/14: 6.22 miles

59.21/100 miles completed for October

1119.15/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

It was another really pretty morning. The sky was clear and there were tons of stars and a pretty crescent moon. It was about 20 degrees warmer at 65°F instead of the 45°F we had yesterday. But that was ok with me. The humidity was low and it was really nice out. I ran 6.2 miles so made it a 10K. It wasn't my fastest run, but wasn't my slowest either. Nothing eventful happened. I just enjoyed being out there and running.

exercise.png

2020 races:
    11/7/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    And @polskagirl01 if you get hit by a beet truck I will seriously be so pissed. Please don't. I have never even gotten to hug you!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Afternoon, everybody! Let me just rant for one whole sentence:

The healthcare system in the US is so effed up, like real bad. it's worse when your company is self-insured. I spent $168 today out of my HSA so that I could let the ob/gyn tell me that my vagina and boobs are awesome and that the endometriosis is under control - for now. I don't think even hookers make that much money. $168 for twenty minutes! And! I HAVE TO go so he'll keep refilling my endo meds! It's not optional! AND I don't want to switch doctors because he actually is the best. BUT I DID NOT FEEL VERY INCENTIVIZED TO COME TO WORK TODAY AFTER THAT, LET ALONE GIVE THEM ANY EFFORT. Yep, there are starving kids. Yep, we have a solid, bad homeless problem. There are people without jobs at all. There are people that do not know peace. There are people who have kids with cancer. I am SO grateful for my life. But........................ addressing the problem of our healthcare system is not the same thing as being ungrateful. Right?

That was more than one sentence. Also in regard to massage @Avidkeo my coach said I need to get a massage every two weeks. I had planned to use my HSA for that. I also need to get new running shoes and I am going to wait a couple of weeks on that because I want to build my HSA back up.

@Tramboman, I can't even describe on screen with words the face I made when you said it was beautiful running weather this morning. Blech! Yesterday was 45 for me at 4am and I HATE being cold and I HATE drowning in cold air and suffocating (asthma). But then for my second run yesterday, it was 73 and sunny and i had MUCH faster pace. I am better at everything when I've had coffee and food. My pace was like FOUR MINUTES faster in the evening than in the morning! From 14 to 10 something!

Today was day 2 of 4am. It was easier to get out of bed and get going. I had one cup of coffee, which I did not think would be too much - but after the full sixty minutes of running, I HAD to get home. I almost didn't make it to the bathroom. It was bad. Like real bad. I'm going to need to make sure all the necessary constitutions are had before I leave the house. I seriously thought about going in someone's yard, it was that bad. But you know, now everybody has security cameras and I am not going to jail for that. Also. Yes, I realize that would be incredibly rude, rotfl.

Yesterday was the full Day 1 with the coach, running and lifting. The structure is good. My core is more sore than I expected. I thought it would be my quads. I am really happy with how this is going, so far. He said I really only need to lift two days a week, but then I think, well actually Sally McRae lifts six days a week, so.... I know, I am not Sally McRae (but I wanna be).

@kgirlhart we have similar weather, I think. It was 52 here for me this morning and quite enjoyable.

@martaindale Doubles aren't the worst thing.

@Avidkeo I never thought I'd be a morning runner but now it's so necessary. To do what i am trying to do (the 100 miler in December), I have to be really ready, physically. And that crazy plan cannot take away from my kids. So 4am, it is!

@noblsheep @katharmonic I have always needed glasses too. Again with the contacts - I have them - but they annoy me. And lately I really haven't been as consistent with my glasses as I should be. I don't know why. Maybe I'm letting myself go, lmao. Or maybe I just couldn't find them and I did find them today (hahahahhaha). I am petrified of Lasik. Because my sister had it done and she told me you can see the thingy coming down toward your eye. No *kitten* thank you. I will punch somebody! I can't do it. Glasses or contacts. But not THAT!

So no lifting today. Probably stretching and foam rolling. Dinner plans got cancelled too, so I think what we'll do at my house is move the coffee table away from the front of the couch and make a pallet so we can all lay with the dog and a spread of snacks and watch something scary. I'm looking forward to just the cuddles with the kids and the dog. Down time is so important.

This post is so long. I'm sorry. :neutral:

Do you not recall that beauty is in the eye of the beholder???????
    There was a time (and not all that long ago) that I would have thought 45 degrees F was pretty cold running weather. But a little sunshine trumps temperature, precipitation, and wind.