October 2020 Monthly Running Challange

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    After 3 beautiful mornings in a row, this morning was kind of gross. It was humid and foggy just not my favorite weather so I was glad it was a rest day.

@skippygirlsmom It is definitely hard to think about starting a new job after so many years. I wouldn't have done it if I didn't have to but I am starting to get excited about it. But not only was this my first job interview in over 20 years, it will be the first time I will have a boss who is younger than me. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm just glad that both the CFO and the Controller are older than my kids.

@quilteryoyo I knew some people who had a pet skunk when I was a kid and I think they are kind of cute. But I definitely don't want to startle one. So when I see them in the mornings I try to give them plenty of space. I'm glad your dad's appointments went well and that they are getting the ball rolling on your surgery. I'll be praying for you Monday that the heart cath goes smoothly. I'm glad you have lots of support from your family and friends.

@Avidkeo Yay for a pain free run!

@katharmonic Your vending machine story is hilarious!

@ContraryMaryMary Nice bling! And this is the year that virtual races definitely count.

@tracydvt Welcome to the group!

@noblsheep Hooray for sleeping in. You do not want to become a jogger!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,095 Member
    Options
    @WandaVaughn OH NO! Happened to my dog last year. It's hard to get it all off. Hope your remedies worked. I think I just used my doggie shampoo....and put some baking soda on her and left it a while, then rinsed it off. Also, for the stink in the garage, I got a couple of those really cheap air fresheners - the kind that you lift up the plastic "lid" to reveal the freshener, and set them in the garage. Believe it or not, it really helped.
  • annshandle
    annshandle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    @WandaVaughn I used to have a dog that got skunked a lot; it seems he couldn't resist them! I echo the use of baking soda, but it may take a couple of baths.

I envy all you morning runners. It doesn't work for me, I am just not a morning person. I've learned to be happy with my afternoon runs.

26.84/60 for the month so far.
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    @WandaVaughn I've had dogs get skunked before. It is not fun. I actually used tomato juice once and my regular doggie shampoo. It worked pretty well. Of course it took a lot of washing to get the red out of my white dog. We get skunks a lot in our neighborhood and I am really cautious about letting my dogs outside when it is dark.

@skippygirlsmom So glad she made it and y'all got to run your HM. Great job on running the whole thing!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit frustrated with Hal right now.

1) He puts 7.5 mile and 8 mile runs on weekdays. There is no way I can fit those in. There's no way to adjust that in the settings.
    2) He won't let me swap out days. I need to switch Tues/Wed next week because work. But there is no way to do that. I can put a blackout date on Wednesday but then I don't have enough runs/miles for the week.

Overall I like the Run with Hal app. I mean I did end up paying for the year. These are just two things I'd love to see changed. I'd love to be like Hal, I can run 5 miles on weekdays, maybe 6 but that's my limit. I have a job, and other responsibilities. And then to be able to swap dates.

So the positive of paper plans is you can switch them easily. But they don't adapt and give you times for your workouts based on your performance. There's always pros and cons with everything!
  • quilteryoyo
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Yeah for the HM race and getting to run it with Skip. She must have had a lot to tell you. I love that you have such a great relationship!

@Camaramandy648 WOW! That is awesome! I thought I had seen where someone was willing to pay the shipping costs, which was awesome in itself. But to also pay for the medal! Incredible. THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES OVER to whomever the generous person is! I will get you my address here in a few minutes.

@RunsOnEspresso That is frustrating. Maybe they will change the app. Have you made the suggestion?

Scott6255 wrote: »
    There are truly unbelievably awesome people on this thread ❣️
    Totally agree .
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic oh vending machines! I always hold my breath when I use one cause I'm worried it won't work. But I remember once getting a free pack of chips when the chocolate bar I wanted was above a pack that got stuck! Ji was lucky and got both! But to lose the two goodies, and get a salad, I think the universe has a warped sense of humour.

@Faebert I wouldn't call me brave! Just stubborn haha. Though that's probably half my problem to start with.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Avidkeo That is not selfish at all. He would have wanted you to follow doctor's orders and heal. Maybe you can pick another week, after you get back into running, and run it for him.

• kgirlhart
    Options
    This really is a wonderful group of people. Thank you to the anonymous donor.

@hamsterwheel6 I'm sorry you are feeling overwhelmed right now. I hope things get better soon.

@RunsOnEspresso 6 miles is my limit on workdays too. That's a lot of the reason I just stick with the paper plans.

@Faebert I hope you get to feeling better soon.

@Avidkeo Glad your recovery is on track. You are setting a good example for all us ctazy runners.
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    @Avidkeo That is not selfish at all. He would have wanted you to follow doctor's orders and heal. Maybe you can pick another week, after you get back into running, and run it for him.

I agree.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    @avidkeo, you can have my medal for Pastor Vincent’s run if you like. I knew you were gutted you couldn’t run for him and I’m not that sentimental about medals and will often give them to kindy for the kids to play with.