What foods are just not worth the # of calories?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Sweet potato casserole is actually good (as a dessert)

oops. wrong thread lol
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Most restaurant food. They just throw in extra fat and sugar (and salt, but that doesn't add calories) to make it taste "better". I actually prefer the versions I make at home with way more veggies and way less fat.

Alcohol (which I can't have now due to GERD), but when I could, I almost always would pick spending those calories on chocolate instead.
  • pancakerunner
    Also not worth the calories for me is cheese on sandwiches and burgers.

I like cheese in certain applications, but a slice on a sandwich/burger does nothing for me. Before counting calories, if I was served a sandwich with cheese, I'd just eat it. Now, I pick it off and save the calories for a cookie or something.

It depends on the cheese. If it adds to the complexity of the burger or sandwich it's worth it... i.e. bacon blue cheese burger... but just plain, flavorless cheese slices? No thanks
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    edited October 2020
    Nothing.

Well, the dairy-free ice cream in my freezer, because if I eat it it and it is not even good for me it better taste good! That horrible boysenberry-strawberry-sugar abomination is going to be thrown away.
  • summery79
    summery79 Posts: 116 Member
    I think others covered most of mine already...

Soda and other sugar-sweetened beverages
    Juice
    Most baked goods (cakes, muffins, cookies, pie, quick breads, etc)
    A lot of restaurant entrees (not all)
    Chocolate candy (still have trouble even keeping this in the house, especially English toffee)
    Fries, chips, tater tots
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    Also not worth the calories for me is cheese on sandwiches and burgers.

I like cheese in certain applications, but a slice on a sandwich/burger does nothing for me. Before counting calories, if I was served a sandwich with cheese, I'd just eat it. Now, I pick it off and save the calories for a cookie or something.

I've been giving this one some thought lately. I looooove cheese and always put it on my turkey or chicken sandwiches, but the other day I was asking myself "can I really even taste it?" It's like I've been putting cheese on sandwiches just out of habit so I'm definitely going to have to try one without and see if/how much I miss it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited October 2020
    Alcohol and soda. Most juice too.
    But mostly because I don't like them generally. And because they often don't like me back!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Cinnamon doughnuts and anything from MacDonalds.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Juices, full calorie soda
    high calorie breads when there are so many others to pick from
    cheap chocolate candy like Palmers, yuck

I wish I could say donuts, cookies, cake, ice cream and pie but my sweet tooth would argue that point.
  • pancakerunner
    acpgee wrote: »

I find most cinnamon flavored things undesirable.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    acpgee wrote: »

I kinda wanna say cinnamon donuts, too, but let's face it. Any donut goes in my mouth.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Avoid chick fila sauce - 140 cals
    Avoid most salad dressing (keep to 30 cals or less per 2 tablespoons) Olive Garden lite, Kraft balsamic lite ok
    Avoid most Cheese products, about 100 cals an ounce

I do endorse full fat cottage cheese for breakfast. 2oz with a couple of chopped almonds on top. It keeps me satisfied with eating very little (first thing).

Sugar drinks are mostly wasted cals including juice, licorice is ridiculously high, ribs are ridiculously high, you have to be really careful with pasta portion, a plate of spaghetti could be your entire cals for the day.

Chocolate dark is ok...but small portion. Very small.

Avoid syrups, sugar.

Avoid all cooking oils, instead steam/saute food with broth and water. Use seasonings for flavor. Also I use a lot of lemon and lime for flavor.

Burger is ok but don’t eat the top bun, remember each fry is 10 cals. Never eat more than 10-20.

Just don’t eat pizza....unless it is a very very special occasion. They taste so good but each slice is 250-450 depending on crust, cheese and greasy toppings.

Bagels are too dense and not worth it.

• Juice
    Soda pop
    Cookies catered at work (a thing I had to remind myself of often... Back when working in person was a thing). Or other mediocre desserts. Although it's not always easy to tell before taking one.
    Little Debbie or other grocery store desserts

Most other things are worth it to me :D
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Although I like it, I'd have to say pasta. It's just not satiating unless I can have a huge bowl, but I always find I'm hungry a few hours later. But that penne a la vodka, though. I do miss that! But, yeah, traditional spaghetti I can do without.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    edited October 2020
    What's really funny here is that a lot of what people have posted are available to many other countries and they eat them, but DON'T have the same weight issues as Americans. Americans are pretty smug when it comes to food consumption. Like many things in America, bigger is better and keeping up with the Jones is so important.
    So the focus is on work, money and social media and forgetting about health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png