What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Don't bother with whole wheat pasta.

I prefer it, as long as it's a good brand. (Favorite: Bionaturae).

so long as you enjoy it! in my experience, whole wheat penne or rotini isn't bad, but ww spaghettis and linguine doesn't do it for me

I like whole wheat pasta (which I prefer depends on the sauce), but I also just realized I generally don't prefer long skinny pastas like spaghetti or linguine or angel hair. Prefer others like penne, rotini, farfalle, etc.

Ohhh, the pasta shape is a CONSTANT battle in my house. My husband prefers long skinny pasta, and I prefer shapes.

We have both had to compromise. I vetoed angel hair and he vetoed penne/mostaccioli/anything tube-like.

So, we alternate between spaghetti (which I tolerate), and rotini or farfalle (which he tolerates).

He gets excited when I say I'm making pasta for dinner, but looks crestfallen when he sees that it's "shapes" night.

He's got a gluten intolerance, so we get gluten-free pasta and I can't taste the difference at all.

I prefer shapes as well. can’t stand angel hair! My favorite are bow ties and wagon wells ahah

Yes! Wagon wheels were my favorite! I don't eat pasta except Shirataki now though. lol

wagon wheel with parmesan... childhood!

Any pasta with butter and parmesean...adulthood!

Top ramen...adulthood!

😀

ramen! Thanks for the reminder... now I have to mkae my ramen, cashew and cherry salad

As a noncook, I miss top ramen. It's one of those things I had to give up because one serving will ALWAYS be two bricks for me. :)

thought I was the only one haha. Haven't had in ages though!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,534 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Don't bother with whole wheat pasta.

I prefer it, as long as it's a good brand. (Favorite: Bionaturae).

so long as you enjoy it! in my experience, whole wheat penne or rotini isn't bad, but ww spaghettis and linguine doesn't do it for me

I like whole wheat pasta (which I prefer depends on the sauce), but I also just realized I generally don't prefer long skinny pastas like spaghetti or linguine or angel hair. Prefer others like penne, rotini, farfalle, etc.

Ohhh, the pasta shape is a CONSTANT battle in my house. My husband prefers long skinny pasta, and I prefer shapes.

We have both had to compromise. I vetoed angel hair and he vetoed penne/mostaccioli/anything tube-like.

So, we alternate between spaghetti (which I tolerate), and rotini or farfalle (which he tolerates).

He gets excited when I say I'm making pasta for dinner, but looks crestfallen when he sees that it's "shapes" night.

He's got a gluten intolerance, so we get gluten-free pasta and I can't taste the difference at all.

I prefer shapes as well. can’t stand angel hair! My favorite are bow ties and wagon wells ahah

Yes! Wagon wheels were my favorite! I don't eat pasta except Shirataki now though. lol

wagon wheel with parmesan... childhood!

Any pasta with butter and parmesean...adulthood!

Top ramen...adulthood!

😀

LOL, I hated sauce when I was younger, Spaghetti Factory browned butter mazithra was my favorite but usually had butter and parmesan .
  • mhumprey72
    mhumprey72 Posts: 5 Member
    I don't like snails, oyster, any raw meat or mince meat pie!!!
  • pancakerunner
    Generally speaking, wild flavored products are excessive (i.e. flavored chips, yogurts, most packaged foods, etc.) plain is usually better... plain crackers + cheese, plain yogurt, etc.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Generally speaking, wild flavored products are excessive (i.e. flavored chips, yogurts, most packaged foods, etc.) plain is usually better... plain crackers + cheese, plain yogurt, etc.

Generally agree with this: I like it plain and then add my own, to my own weird specifications.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

Haha, I am the complete opposite! I HATE unflavored things.

Plain crackers? No thanks I would much rather have honey mustard, BBQ, herb, or buffalo flavored.

Plain potato chips are gross and boring. I only like salt n vinegar, BBQ, sour cream and onion, buffalo ranch, etc.

I never eat plain yogurt, I add my own flavorings.

Plain coffee is gross, I only drink flavored coffee and I add tons of stevia, almond milk and salted caramel SF syrup.

Plain nuts? Not as good as honey roasted, salted, or flavored ones! I am not a fan of plain roasted almonds but LOVE dill pickle, salt n vinegar, cinnamon sugar, or honey roasted ones. Same with cashews and peanuts. I love the flavored ones.

• Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    I don't understand how people can eat eggs without bread. Except maybe hardboiled eggs, MAYBE...

Don't you need something to "soak up" the heaviness?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    I don't understand how people can eat eggs without bread. Except maybe hardboiled eggs, MAYBE...

I never eat bread with eggs (except for a rare egg salad sandwich or with shakshuka or the very rare eggs benedict at a brunch place). I don't find an omelet (veg omelet with a little feta is my preferred egg style) to be heavy at all, and although I need something to help absorb the runny yolk in my over easy eggs, I usually eat them with some veg like broccoli, which does the trick.

For me, bread adds cals without adding to my enjoyment and without adding to my satiety, so it feels like a waste of cals. If I add carbs to breakfast, it's usually fruit, or, much less often and only if I'm doing a big weekend brunch that replaces lunch, potatoes.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Fudge is not good.
    Even homemade or from cutesy specialty shops.
    Tastes like something that someone forgot to bake, but not in a good way.

Agreed. I do recall enjoying it on Mackinac Island, but that was likely a setting-specific aberration.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    Fudge is not good.

Agreed. I do recall enjoying it on Mackinac Island, but that was likely a setting-specific aberration.

Send it tome I would happily take care of it for you! 😂
  • pancakerunner
    Fudge is not good.

I kind of agree. It kind of tastes like burnt brownie batter??? I would rather have a spoon ful of brownie batter or cookie dough :)
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    edited October 2020
    Slacker16 wrote: »

I never eat bread with eggs (except for a rare egg salad sandwich or with shakshuka or the very rare eggs benedict at a brunch place). I don't find an omelet (veg omelet with a little feta is my preferred egg style) to be heavy at all, and although I need something to help absorb the runny yolk in my over easy eggs, I usually eat them with some veg like broccoli, which does the trick.

For me, bread adds cals without adding to my enjoyment and without adding to my satiety, so it feels like a waste of cals. If I add carbs to breakfast, it's usually fruit, or, much less often and only if I'm doing a big weekend brunch that replaces lunch, potatoes.

And see, I don't worry about my underdone eggs because, as with most proteins, I like my eggs "cooked": sunny side up with crispy whites; no liquid in my scrambles; toasty gold omelets.

Our half-Spanish family loves a tortilla espanol, which is an omelet with potato and onion; you need a little daring to make it because it calls for cooking one side, then using a plate and an overturned cooking pan to flip the omelet and return it to the flame. Our father was a proud expert in this skill. Even here, we go against the grain, liking some color on our potato and onion.

That said, I have no quarrel with an omelet between a couple of slices of bread.

All of which makes me think of a funny scene from the 1950 movie "Harvey", during which, in the midst of a comic crisis, lonely woman Myrtle Mae and groundskeeper Wilson take time out to introduce themselves to each other, and Myrtle crowns the event by offering to make Wilson and egg and onion sandwich.
  • pancakerunner
    Quinoa is overrated

yep! I think wheat berries > quinoa
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    I can't abide smoothies or shakes. Its the texture. Its just so grim.
  • pancakerunner
    xtineart wrote: »
    I can't abide smoothies or shakes. Its the texture. Its just so grim.

See, I can do smoothies and shakes made with ice cream, but just water-based smoothies. nope
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    @pancakerunner - Your post regarding 'loving' whipped butter on pancakes made me comment here on my distain with it. 🤣 It's just very disgusting to my palate...too funny