Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,828 Member
    @GaleHawkins Can you tell me why a second and third wave can be worse than the first? Curious what factors lead to this. TIA
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,828 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    @GaleHawkins Can you tell me why a second and third wave can be worse than the first? Curious what factors lead to this. TIA

Probably not the scientific reason nut would thint virus fatigue would come into play. People tired of masks, social distancing etc.

That was what was coming to my mind. Curious if there are biological components as well?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    You are assuming that this virus was controllable. Viruses like sharks have been around longer than man and both seem to control the responses of man more than the other way around. It has been said from the get go this coming winter was going to be very hard but hopefully the experts are wrong. You are correct often the second and third waves are worse.

Out of the UK last week we heard Covid-19 may be with us for years to come. Keep in mind most of what we have heard since March 2020 has been filtered by non medical people.

We now understand the lack good health practices invites pandemics historically speaking.

It was. Several countries have done it/are doing it. But as the person above you said, it's too late for those that didn't get control of it early. The horse has well and truly bolted.

Will you please share the current Covid-19 stats for 3 of the several countries that you claim have done it/are doing it?

China has claimed the virus behind Covid-19 was the work of the USA and that may have some merit but most nations are pointing fingers towards mainland China. Assuming the virus did come from China once it was exported by plane directly to the USA west coast and to the east coast way of Italy medically speaking Covid-19 was not controllable in the USA or other countries period.

Today in the USA alone we are certain millions are walking around spreading the virus with no outward symptoms. A killer virus that can hide undetected by outward signs in infected humans is NOT controllable period. It can be Managed but not Controlled.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

Arizona during the heat of our Summer had the highest per capita on the planet.

Probably not. The early outbreaks were way undercounted due to a severe shortage of testing. Just look at the death rates in the early states (esp NY/NJ).
    My strong belief is that when they opened up gyms, bars and restaurants it spread quickly indoors. While our numbers are slightly up again, nothing like they were in the Summer. I felt, even with a high amount of universities, that cooling temps would help and it seems like it has.

Contrast that with the Midwest and the Northeast. Schools and universities back in session, flu season and everyone indoors. Add to it the Holiday gatherings and the numbers from Spring will be dwarfed. The only good news is that Coronavirus has mutated to be less deadly, but also more contagious.

I think they will be up vs the summer, because of the weather, as you say, but I would be shocked if the areas that got very hard hit in the spring (the NE, parts of the midwest like Chicago, perhaps Michigan) actually got hit harder than in the spring. Then, we had had lots of unchecked spreading with no precautions at all before the outbreak started to hit. Even with the uptick, NY's numbers (such as positivity rate) is still extremely good, and absolutely nothing compared with the spring. Chicago's uptick and deaths still leave us looking much better off than in the spring and early summer.

Knock on wood and all that.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I know they're calling it the 2nd or 3rd wave, but frankly, I don't think the US even dealt with the first wave. Numerous states started opening everything up in May/June and have continued now into the fall with schools and Universities also being open. Basically, there are a whole lot of people and states out there running around as if we are in a pre-COVID environment.

Two agree with you.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/anthony-fauci-cdc-covid19-pandemic-first-wave-case-numbers-b1349492.html
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    @Gisel2015 - Yes, she does magnesium "oil" (magnesium dissolved in purified water) often. It's a trick we learned when she had severe fibromyalgia. It has helped some but until she got her blood sugar down, little was helping.

I can relate to what you went through with the OJ. She made chili last night and was talking about loading it up with saltines. I'm like, we don't need the saltines. It has beans in it already and we don't need a lot of crackers in it. I think she believes me about it but I can't wait till the doctor appointment and possibly to sit down with a Dietician. It won't be too hard for us, she quickly gave up a lot when she had Fibromyalgia to get out of pain but she held on to her sugar, just not realizing how much she was taking in.

I'm sorry @snowflake954 to hear about Italy again. So many places are like that in the US now, except I can't see us locking down again. We just have to decide what's worth it and protect ourselves. I wish masks were obligatory here. I just heard Russia made them mandatory yesterday as well. People would riot here if you make masks mandatory. Such emotional immaturity here.

Oh man, I would not eat saltines if you paid me! Different people are different obviously but I was shocked at how much they spiked my bg.

One thing I wish someone had told me when I first got my type 2 diagnosis - a lot of the time doctors won’t give you a meter if you’re type 2. Get one if you have to use your own money, and use it often until you learn your own tolerances! Funny how those saltines seem so little when they cross your mouth but not so little when you’re looking at 160 bg an hour later. And some of the canned goods which look bad on paper because of the added sugar turn out to be just fine because the added fat makes them hit your bloodstream more slowly. Every diabetic is different! Of course still crossing my fingers your wife doesn’t have it, but...

Honestly if she does have it, a lot of the symptoms of uncontrolled bg for me were similar to fibromyalgia. My hands and feet used to hurt a lot but it was just the glucose. And getting it under control feels so much better.

We're gluten free, because I'm Celiac, which is worse, believe it or not. GF products are loaded with rice and corn starch instead of wheat. I'm going to likely lean a bit on your insight. Been reading through the Diabetic support group. Thanks!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Some more information that came out today and a link abotu the Oxford vaccine.

Oxford vaccine:
    https://ca.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN27B0L7

The US has seen almost half a million new coronavirus cases in one week as the dreaded fall surge continues to grow, and some places could be close to what former FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb called “an exponential spread.” That’s not the only bad news: A new British study has shown a decline in coronavirus antibodies over three months -- a sign that immunity to Covid-19 wanes. This aligns with other studies that showed people who tested positive but had no symptoms are likely to lose antibodies faster than people with more severe symptoms. The American Academy of Pediatrics says it's seen a 14% increase in child Covid-19 cases over the last two weeks, and pediatric cases now make up more than 10% of all US cases.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I know they're calling it the 2nd or 3rd wave, but frankly, I don't think the US even dealt with the first wave. Numerous states started opening everything up in May/June and have continued now into the fall with schools and Universities also being open. Basically, there are a whole lot of people and states out there running around as if we are in a pre-COVID environment.

I saw a headline earlier today where Dr. Fauci is saying this is still first wave.