Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    https://www.wkdzradio.com/2020/10/25/sunday-kentucky-covid-19-update/

From the news it sounds like Covid-19 number of cases are setting records in USA and Europe. The USA had some hot spots 6 months ago but now is wide spread with more nursing home involvement than ever in our region. Hope the talk of turning the corner in 2022 turns out to be correct.

i am so hoping you meant to type 2021.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Well, the son in San Diego (the one who had tons of friends not social distancing and some were actual science deniers) has caught it. He's been sick for a week. Had a hard time breathing for several days. We're talking a kid that got D1 offers for both wrestling and soccer and he stays in great shape. He's feeling better now, but just what we were concerned about for Thanksgiving proved accurate.

I suppose if there's good news he'll now be coming for Thanksgiving. We also find out this week if my wife is showing signs of early type II Diabetes. We're both in a much better place about that now. We've already changed about the only thing we hadn't cut out -- sugar and alcohol. I've read two books on diabetes and aside from that, we were already doing everything right. Just concerns me more about her potentially getting Covid-19, with that being a higher risk group.

Hope your son continues to recover well.

After six years of eating for health I keep finding areas that I need to tweak. The added sugar thing still catches me off guard. After years I have gotten off of Half and Half because it causes sinus drainage and ran out of my Almond milk and grabbed some Coconut milk that was in the frig and I will be if it did not contain added sugar.
  • SModa61
    edited October 2020
    Well, the son in San Diego (the one who had tons of friends not social distancing and some were actual science deniers) has caught it. He's been sick for a week. Had a hard time breathing for several days. We're talking a kid that got D1 offers for both wrestling and soccer and he stays in great shape. He's feeling better now, but just what we were concerned about for Thanksgiving proved accurate.

I suppose if there's good news he'll now be coming for Thanksgiving. We also find out this week if my wife is showing signs of early type II Diabetes. We're both in a much better place about that now. We've already changed about the only thing we hadn't cut out -- sugar and alcohol. I've read two books on diabetes and aside from that, we were already doing everything right. Just concerns me more about her potentially getting Covid-19, with that being a higher risk group.

Within your son a speedy recovery, and happy for you that you now get a family Thanksgiving. Mine is shrinking by the day.

As for diabetes and COVID, my father who is a solidly overweight diabetic with multiple other comorbidities, claims that if other preexisting conditions are "controlled" (like his diabetes via medication) they are no longer an added risk. Makes no sense to me, but I know you @MikePfirrman are better at researching things than I so there is a topic for you to look at, and if my father is right, it might bring you some peace regarding your wife.
  • GaleHawkins
    @MikePfirrman I just finished reading Lifespan (2019) by David A Sinclair. Per it I have made a lot of right changes but as more research comes out there are more concerns that pops up on my radar. Pomegranate products have my attention currently as I doing some n=1 stuff for gut microbiome health concerns. Consuming a gallon a week rules out being in ketosis for sure but those are not empty carbs.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    @MikePfirrman Showing signs, what did she notice first. Was she really tired, falling asleep at the drop of a hat. Did she notice any skin changes, on the sides of her feet, things like that? You're a good husband.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 wrote: »
    https://www.wkdzradio.com/2020/10/25/sunday-kentucky-covid-19-update/

From the news it sounds like Covid-19 number of cases are setting records in USA and Europe. The USA had some hot spots 6 months ago but now is wide spread with more nursing home involvement than ever in our region. Hope the talk of turning the corner in 2022 turns out to be correct.

i am so hoping you meant to type 2021.

I wish that was the case but from the science side of things 2021 is expected to see more cases than in 2020 since herd immunity seems to be a pipe dream. The good news is death rates are way down but Covid-19 is expected to be around for decades like many other viruses that can not be well managed with vaccine attempts because they are moving targets. I have family and friends that swear Covid-19 will be over by 4 Nov 2020 in the USA but if they are not careful they may wind up being "dead" wrong and taking others with them.

There was no crying face to click. :'(
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member

After six years of eating for health I keep finding areas that I need to tweak. The added sugar thing still catches me off guard. After years I have gotten off of Half and Half because it causes sinus drainage and ran out of my Almond milk and grabbed some Coconut milk that was in the frig and I will be if it did not contain added sugar.

Coffee was the first area we addressed. She was using non dairy creamers with lots of added sugar, then turning around and having a vegan protein drink with non-dairy milk with added sugar. We eat pretty healthy for dinner, but she found these non-dairy ice cream bars at night she was eating a lot of as well. Add to that alcoholic drinks and it was a lot more added sugar than anyone should have.

She's great about adjusting quickly and not complaining. I am as well, so I think we'll be pretty solid soon and I might just lose that last 10 pounds again that has alluded me since I hit my goal weight around 8 or 9 years ago!

We're gathering up all of our boxed, canned stuff with sugar and donating it this week to the food shelter down the road.

If she likes non-dairy/vegan milks and protein drinks, she can still have them. There are plenty of low and no added sugar versions. The stuff I use is all very low sugar. My protein powder has 1 gram of sugar. My nut milk has 2 grams. ⭐
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    jenilla1 wrote: »

Coffee was the first area we addressed. She was using non dairy creamers with lots of added sugar, then turning around and having a vegan protein drink with non-dairy milk with added sugar. We eat pretty healthy for dinner, but she found these non-dairy ice cream bars at night she was eating a lot of as well. Add to that alcoholic drinks and it was a lot more added sugar than anyone should have.

She's great about adjusting quickly and not complaining. I am as well, so I think we'll be pretty solid soon and I might just lose that last 10 pounds again that has alluded me since I hit my goal weight around 8 or 9 years ago!

We're gathering up all of our boxed, canned stuff with sugar and donating it this week to the food shelter down the road.

If she likes non-dairy/vegan milks and protein drinks, she can still have them. There are plenty of low and no added sugar versions. The stuff I use is all very low sugar. My protein powder has 1 gram of sugar. My nut milk has 2 grams. ⭐

Thanks Jenilla. We found a few of them she likes already. Her Protein Drink was great, it was the Chocolate DF milk she was using (and the bananas in it). All her milks and creamers now are free of added sugar. There will be some adjustments for sure!
  • SModa61
    As for diabetes and COVID, my father who is a solidly overweight diabetic with multiple other comorbidities, claims that if other preexisting conditions are "controlled" (like his diabetes via medication) they are no longer an added risk.

I would say he is half right.

Being diabetic, even if well controlled, is still a risk factor - however well controlled diabetes is much less of a risk than poorly controlled diabetes.

obviously, really - but if that is what he meant, then fair enough

@paperpudding I think I agree with your assessment. Controlled is better than not controlled. But controlled is not better than no diabetes.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Every underlying condition that is controlled with the proper medication is good, but not a sure thing. Doctors have been finding blot clots (DVTs) in many individuals infected by the virus, even when they were on blood thinners.

This is one of the reasons why I am concerned about my husband, besides his age. He is a Afib patient on blood thinners. I really don't want him catching the virus, so I am very protective of him and is condition.

@MikePfirrman: I wish you and your wife good luck and hope that her condition, if it is the beginning of TP2D, gets treated accordingly. It seems that both of you are working on that already.

Few years ago my husband A1C got close to 6, and I decided to scare the living lights out of him (doctor helped a lot). One of the things that I suggested to eliminate from his diet were bananas and OJ. Both high in sugar, and also to lose some extra wt. It worked like a charm. In the next 6 months his A1c value came down to normal levels. Sometimes we don’t realize where the sugar is hidden and how it can affect a person. He now drinks low sodium V8 to supplement the potassium, besides what he gets in his food. Little changes sometimes bring big improvements!

Has your wife tried Therawork spray with Mg. Sulfate? It is excellent for the relief of cramps and also to avoid getting cramps. Just spray it on her calves before going to bed and rub it to get full absorption in the skin. It is and OTC relief treatment and it was recommended by the doctor. I use it sometimes myself. My cramps are due to knee problems.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    As for diabetes and COVID, my father who is a solidly overweight diabetic with multiple other comorbidities, claims that if other preexisting conditions are "controlled" (like his diabetes via medication) they are no longer an added risk.

I would say he is half right.

Being diabetic, even if well controlled, is still a risk factor - however well controlled diabetes is much less of a risk than poorly controlled diabetes.

obviously, really - but if that is what he meant, then fair enough

@paperpudding I think I agree with your assessment. Controlled is better than not controlled. But controlled is not better than no diabetes.

Yes that is same as what I said.
  • GaleHawkins
    You are assuming that this virus was controllable. Viruses like sharks have been around longer than man and both seem to control the responses of man more than the other way around. It has been said from the get go this coming winter was going to be very hard but hopefully the experts are wrong. You are correct often the second and third waves are worse.

Out of the UK last week we heard Covid-19 may be with us for years to come. Keep in mind most of what we have heard since March 2020 has been filtered by non medical people.

We now understand the lack good health practices invites pandemics historically speaking.