WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2020

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I went to my first beginner Spanish course when I was in my early 30s. I felt almost guilty that I was betraying my first love - French.
    In the class was a guy that looked like a Spanish gypsy and played a fantastic guitar. His Spanish was terrible and never improved. Another student, also very Spanish looking, was a wonderful flamenco dancer. His Spanish was pretty awful. Both were entirely working class English, but lived in Andalusia in their imagination.
    We can be in one world, but live in another.

Watched Great British Bake Off tonight. The theme was Japan. :D:o

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We have a beautiful sunshiney day today. It is a bit chilly outside despite the bright sunshine. DH & I marked our ballots for the upcoming state elections, local elections & national elections. I carried our ballots to the County Courthouse & put them in the outdoor ballot box for people to drive up or walk up. People can also vote by mail. We'll find out the outcome November 3. I hope to be happy with the outcomes. May this election be a win for our country & states. :star:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs, 23min, 31sec, 174elev, 2.33ap78ahr, 104mhr, 7mi= 690c
    Strava app- 848c
    Other- dust n vacuum- 56.49min, 75ahr= 260c

Total cal 950
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Question for you all - how long can you keep an open package of hot dogs in the fridge? Do hot dogs keep better than most food? I think I ought to toss these, but I need to be ready if Mom objects. I think I might have a chance to take over cooking when the time changes.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    :)We have voted by mail all the years we've lived in Washington. There are boxes for depositing ballots in two places in our small community. We voted last week and have high hopes for the success of the candidates we support. Jake has made financial contributions to several of them.

<3 Barbie
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK ❤️
  • Katla49
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Annie- Regarding hot dogs or other cured meats: when they aren't needed for several or more days, freeze. They thaw beautifully and shouldn't be a cause of gastric trouble. If they haven't been opened, look for the used by date on the package. Be sure to use or freeze before the freeze by date. :star:

Barbie- We also have a vote by mail option. I live close enough to the County Courthouse that it is easier to walk over there and put our ballots into the ballot box than to send them by mail. I dropped our ballots into that ballot box today. :bigsmile:
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Question for you all - how long can you keep an open package of hot dogs in the fridge? Do hot dogs keep better than most food? I think I ought to toss these, but I need to be ready if Mom objects. I think I might have a chance to take over cooking when the time changes.

Smell them and look at them. If they don't smell bad or have some funky goo on them, they're probably fine. Though, my rule is generally if I am wondering if it's bad, it probably is and I toss them.

Tina in CA
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,085 Member
    Options
    The drop off and postal ballots are such a good idea in these trying times.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options

http://www.eatbydate.com/proteins/meats/hot-dogs-shelf-life-expiration-date/

Apparently a week.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Such talented ladies on this thread ... sadly, I am craft-challenged. Edited: Except for glitter. I put that stuff on every project, costume, poster my kids had! Still finding it too...
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🧡💛💚💙💜❤️
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did a Body Pump video. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Denise Austin Quick Burn Carbs DVD

Got a loaf of Sourdough bread started to rise then went to exercise. Sanitized my Food Lion masks in the IP. The biggest problem I see is that when the masks come out of the IP, they are so hot you can’t wring them out. But at the end of the day, that’s not a big problem at all.

Does anyone use a walking app on their phone? If you use a pedometer, what are some of the features you look for? Which one is the best?

Rebecca – oh, Athena is so cute. Keep those pics coming

Jess called last night, she said something about her and Colby might get a 2 bedroom apartment. To be honest, I really don’t see why spend the extra money. They only need one bedroom. We go out there maybe once/year. But not my money!

Donation box: I keep a box in my closet. When it gets full, then it’s time for a donation.

I like to do crochet, diamond dotz, x-stitch, bake/cook, I’ve done plastic canvas but I’m not crazy about the way it looks, one thing I absolutely HATE is quilting, right now I’m working on a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle (that’s going to take time)

Exercised, then voted, then put out some of the Halloween decorations, cleaned part of the floor, now making more sugar cookies. It really took some doing for me to convince Vince that we needed to decorate for Halloween. Hence, not as much is going to get done this year. I’m hoping that this will spur him on to doing a lot of Christmas decorating. He said to me just now that he wanted to have dinner early so that he can go to Target. I hope that he wants to go for a tote to put the new Halloween inflatable that we have in. Maybe??????? Update: nope, he just wanted to look at their Christmas ornaments. Well, maybe he'll get more in the Christmas spirit

Fae – the start of this pandemic I thought I’d go out of my mind. Before this I was always the person on the go, being with people. To have to suddenly stop was a big change for me. But I’ve sort-of gotten used to it now. But at first? No way! Now it didn’t really bother Vince at all, he was always the homebody

Katla – do you think we’ll know the results of the election on Nov. 3? Don’t some states allow mail in votes as long as they are postmarked by election day even if they do not receive them until a few days later?

Annie – wish I could help you. I have no idea how long hot dogs last in the refrigerator. I always keep mine in the freezer.

Going to stay up at least until midnight because tickets for On Golden Pond go on sale for Season ticket holders at midnight. Since they are only selling 100 tickets, I suspect they’ll go fast and I work tomorrow so I wouldn’t be able to purchase them until at least noontime.

Michele NC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Still catching up from yesterday, about 1/2 an hour into work yesterday I had the starts of a headache. I tried to avoid a lot of screen time last evening in hopes of getting rid of the headache and managed to be feeling well when I went to bed. At 5 this morning though I had a full blown migraine happening. By 730 I had been sick 3 times from it. Needless to say I did not go to work today. I didn’t even get up 330 this afternoon for any real length of time.
    I had to call and do an assessment before I could return to work. I was on hold for 50 minutes before I got to speak to the nurse. What a pain that is when you don’t feel good.

Kate - I had to comment on your knitting skills. Beautiful socks.

Rebecca - love the family photos! Are Bailey’s chips what I think they are? My husband might enjoy them, I’m not a fan.

Barbara - I’m glad you deleted the “only” getting rid of anything is an accomplishment.

Katla - we pay a bottle deposit here in Alberta as well. I know New Brunswick does as well. New Brunswick had it even when I was a kid.
    We can choose to keep the money ourselves or donate it as well.

Annie - I have had hotdogs in the fridge for a long time at least a month. I always leave things in the package when I can so I can see the best before date. I just put them in air right containers. My Son in Law works at a dairy and told me that best before dates are mandated and you usually have a few days past those dates before dairy turns bad. He refuses to throw out unless it looks or smells bad. I have started following his lead for some things.

Michele - my iPhone has a health app that tracks my steps. I lose a lot of counting though as I don’t carry my phone with me all the time. If I am going outside for a walk I use Map my Walk.
    As a young married couple we had a 1 bedroom and we regretted signing a one year lease. We went to a 2 bedroom so we had a space to get away from each other when we needed it. With all of the working from home right now I could see needing an extra room.
    We currently have a 2 bedroom and I would do anything for a 3 bedroom. It would be so much easier to bring the Grands over.
    I keep a bag in the closet for things to donate and in the spare/craft room I have a box. I took a bunch a few weeks ago so don’t have anything currently to donate.

Well I have read and caught up over the last 40 minutes and feel my headache returning. Time to put the phone down again.

Tracey in Edmonton
    I’ll update with crafting pictures later.
  • Katla49
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I have started walking with a friend again- haven't done it in a very long time. We have been meeting at the park and walked an hour each time. Three times last week and two so far this week. Today I went half hour early so got in a little extra in. It really feels good to be moving again.
    As for crafts- I LOVE most I have tried. My favorites are sewing, making ornaments, beading. My biggest sewing project was my wedding dress for wedding #2. At only 5', buying a dress and not having to alter it is pretty much impossible. I got exactly what I wanted and spent less for it than my parents paid for alterations on my first wedding's dress. I want to do some quilting- I just got a quilt that my mom had a friend finish the back/quilting part for the quilt top my great grandmother made. It is a crazy quilt. I have so much fabric after making masks so want something fun to work on. After the holidays I will try one. Sewing fleece slippers and making the Christmas tree wall hanging for former mother in law first. I also love cooking- just wish it was appreciated a little more. Next month I will go up to my parents and spend a weekend making holiday treats. Many batches of different fudge combination(last year I think we had 12-14 ones), caramel corn, cracker toffee and ??? It is a great weekend together and everyone gets to enjoy the treats.
    Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Dropped our ballots off this afternoon. Oregon is a 100% vote by mail state, so no waiting in line for us. Well, actually, I did have to wait in line to drop off our ballots -- I was the third car in line, but not quite the same thing as I'm seeing on the news. I am very encouraged. The drop box nearest my house has had a fairly steady stream of cars with people voting.

Take care.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    This week is half term holiday for schools. The weather has been atrocious so we haven't been able to meet up with the grandkids. Although we are allowed to by the government, we are not meeting people indoors at all.
    Feel a bit sad about that.
    The other grandparents are visiting today as they are not social distancing from the family. I feel very envious, but want to keep our 'isolation' going, especially as the numbers are rising very fast around here.
    So I have organised a Zoom with the kids for Friday at 3.30 pm. It will be the usual chaos, but better than nothing. The first sunny day we can see them IRL.
    I might suggest that my son pays for an antibody test to see if he is immune. I would even pay for it. In retrospect he thinks they might have had it back in April.
    ;):*:/

I'm going to have an AF day today.
    I only did 300 calories of rowing yesterday so need to get back to it today. Nor did I write. Neither of those things is good for my mood.( I did talk to two friends). I feel so much better when I keep to my routines. I can feel an extra roll creeping round my middle and I don't like it. Back to it!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,085 Member
    Options
    Morning all. Off out early to do weekly shop. Will pop back on later.

☘️ Terri