WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

2ioam65vtau0.jpg

ud5efg21m842.jpg

:) A new month is beginning with the opportunity to make a fresh start on plans and resolutions. I hope you will all join me for our continuing journey to health and fitness.

:) It helps me to work on a new adventure with the support and encouragement of others and I like doing the same in return.

:) If you are new, we welcome you. If you are returning, we are delighted to see you again.

:) Be sure to bookmark this thread so you can find it again.

:) It helps us all if you sign your post with a name or nickname and a location (specific or general) to make it easier to address each other.

:smiley: I am continuing my challenge of keeping the weight off while my husband entertains me with food cooked in his Ninja Foodi.

<3 Barbie from NW WA

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Thanks Barbie!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,744 Member
    Thank you Barbie for the new thread!

Trick or Treating is about over here ... not a single child came to the door. I only had a little bit of candy on hand and the guys will eat that.

You all have been talking about cold temps. We had snow flurries all day yesterday and this morning there was a hard frost. Monday we may see some snow land ... we'll see.

My younger son has made the decision to not renew his lease in Nashville, but move home to look for work. He spent all of yesterday showing me photos of beautiful chocolate lab puppies. It was tough, but I stuck to my guns ... no more dogs right now.

Beth near Buffalo
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Did Karen Voit’s Pilates for Abs and Back DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do some Wii Training games.

Vince decided not to put up any of the inflatables. It was raining yesterday and is supposed to rain later today. At least he is decorating for Christmas. I’m sad that there aren’t any decorations for the kids. But there’s nothing I can do about it.

KJ – what beautiful kiddos

Vince never did get around to trimming the bushes. I didn’t think he would

Well, trick or treating is about over here, too. We had about 40% of the kiddos we usually have

Michele NC
    who for some reason is feeling "down"
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    B)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🍁🎃💀🧡👻☠️🥸
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,023 Member
    edited November 2020
    Barbie: Thanks for the new thread.

We had no callers this Halloween. Not really surprised as we haven't had any for the last 2 years. I had an active rest day today, and ate more candy than I should have, so now I can't get to sleep 😂 I did manage to get out for a walk late morning, between the rather wet and stormy weather we are having.

Loved all the Halloween pictures in October thread.

Our lockdown isn't quite as severe as that being imposed in England, although that could easily change. Not that it will affect us as, like Heather, we never stopped our voluntary lockdown. Strictly Come Dancing Live was a welcome relief from all the repeats and sport that is on the box at the moment. This afternoon I watched several streamed episodes of 800 Words on BBC iPlayer. There are lots of sets to choose from. Also started watching Sony Christmas Movies. Ahhhh!!!!

Machka: Once again, Congratulations. I'm sure you are pleased to have got your degree and graduation confirmed. I'm sure you will enjoy the luxury of not having imposed deadlines. It somehow feels better when you can chose your own pace of work.

I will update my goals some time tomorrow.

🕊 Pax vobiscum 🕊

☘️ Terri
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Thanks Barbie.
    Goodbye October and hello November.

Betsy in NW Washington
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,807 Member
    <3
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Thanks for starting us off yet again Barbie!
    Well, October 31 started off a bit rough for me! I have a clock radio (yes, I'm still one of those people! not yet tied to my phone for everything!) Anyway, our power was off for a few hours yesterday morning, but my clock radio has battery back up, so when I went to bed and it told me the time, I didn't question it, even tho it seemed to be later than I thought it should be, just figured I spend too much time catching up with you all. So this morning I roll over and look at it, it says 6:30, I snuggle down for anther half hour. Get up at 7, get washed and dressed, head downstairs, go to put my frozen berries in the microwave and notice that the clock there says 6:45. My poor brain is confused. I look at several more clocks and then my phone and they all say 6:45, which is 15 min earlier than when I thought I got up! Apparently my clocks battery is not charging properly, so the clock is just thinking of a time and going with it. I'm going to be going to the recycler's with it! lol On the bright side, I got my kitchen cleaned up and spent a few minutes farting around on the computer, so not a total waste of time. sigh.
    So nice to see all the pics of the littles in their "finery"!
    Not much to say and too tired to say it anyway. Work was crazy busy, end of the month, so.... And of course I missed out on some sleep so need to pack it up for the night.
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Oh and a really quick way to convert celsius to farenheit is to double it and add 30. So, 20C would be 70 (double 20 = 40, plus 30 = 70). Easy to reverse from farenheit to celsius to, subtract 30 and divide by 2. This of course, is a rough calculation, but gets you close enough to get a good idea.
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island who had no trick or treaters, but also had the blinds closed and lights off!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2020
    Barbie- Thank you for the new month. It is filled with the gift of friendship and community. ❤️
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,481 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, STAS challenge Day 2, watched Day 3 video, delivered ballot, post office, reconciled bank card statement & paid.
    Bonus: BiMart, Grocery Outlet, started STAS diary, one load laundry
    Get to do: livestream church, STAS challenge catchup, firehouse best practices survey, submit grant pics and receipts, take pics of car, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup. figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, Wednesday: call Progressive adjustor, shop for part D, vote, firehall for postings and minutes to history. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    Self Care November
    1: list new things you want to do this month: learn new line dances (blame it on my beating heart, homesick, all night (I got the fuse…) ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford, Sleeping with the Devil, Nothing but You), new/old BB&B, TC,
    October Summary and November Plan
    Ended October only 0.2 lbs lighter than it was begun at 143.3, but vastly improved the important percentages (dogs, Joe, CICO.)

Oct 1: 143.5 vs Oct 1:143.5 keep bouncing around
    daily: steps= 61%/29%, vits= 100%/97% log=100%/100% CI<CO= 97%/74% CI<250<CO= 71%48% Tumble 5/10= 113%/106% mfp=100%/100% AF= 65%/55% outside= 97%/87%, up hill=94%/94% cleaning 100%/35%
    wkly: BBBorTC x3= 0%/0%, dance x2=11%/0% walk with Tracie and the dogs instead of pack walk x2=25%/25%, rx=100%/100% review progress on 20 for 20: bupkes/. monthly: board mtg=100%/100% grant= 1bupkes.
    November resolve-maintain October’s most important (Joe, dogs, CICO) levels, improve the self-care (BB&B/TC/dance practice).
    Daily: sit next to Joe for at least a little while, weigh, more steps than June average, vits, log, CI<CO, CI <250 CO, 5 mins training or grooming Tumble or Shadow, check in mfp, get outside, walk up hill.
    Weekly cleaning 2x half hour, TC or BB&B x 3, dance x 2, Rx and review 20 for 20.
    Monthly: board and council meetings, grant progress.
    Bonus: AF: , play: , sew something: .

Barbie, thanks so much for starting us off fresh as always, and especially for starting us off with the “worrying…stops you from enjoying the good”.

Joe must be feeling better, he’s been active again, completely setting up his man cave, changing the van over to studded tires, reorganizing the garage. While I’m relieved he’s feeling better, I’m a little apprehensive, as these bursts of activity always result in more work for me…

Heather “…best thing ever about the virus” what an experience having half a public pool to yourselves! :love: Bea’s enjoyment face.
    Allie, Beth, Fae, Katla, Lanente, Machka, Margaret all you cold tolerant gals :noway: Joe and I are delicate flowers, the thermostat stays between 68-72, and moved to the coast to get away from Idaho’s winters.
    Tracey, what you said about wood heat. We fire up the stove when it rains, as the heat seems to feel warmer and dry us all out better, but the base line is our electric central heating.
    Kelly :love: the kiddos!
    Julie you are so right about the virus hitting the less fortunate harder. As Machka implied so has it always been :cry:.
    Machka brilliant idea to have students write/create/document their experience of this historic time. What a perspective to give them. I never realized when I was living through historic times (JFK assassination, Summer of Love, Vietnam War and protests) that I was… “…lest we forget” Amen.
    Michele hope you find the wii games fun, they always lift my spirits, especially the penguin balance board and flying chicken. :laugh:
    Evelyn you are not alone, Joe and I both have plug-in alarm clocks, even though neither of us has to get up for work any more ;)
    Katla what you said about this community’s gift of friendship.

Puppies. October’s picture on our Skye Terrier calendar looks like what Scooter would have looked like as a puppy. Joe’s commented on it two or three times, with what seems to be like longing. Me too. But three dogs with Joe’s wellbeing so uncertain, it’s just not the right time. Doesn’t mean I might weaken if a litter came up with a black male…

Time to snoooozzzzzzzzzzze.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    November: better than October.
    daily: sit with Joe: 31, weigh: 20, steps>5491=5630 vits=31 log=31 CI<CO=30 CI<250<CO=22 Tumble & Shadow 5=35 mfp=31 outside=30 up hill=29
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3= rx=4 dance=1 clean 30 mins=8.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=
    bonus: AF=20 play= sew=0
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,023 Member
    edited November 2020
    For the benefit of any new members.

Back story:
    I’m Terri, from Northern Ireland (☘️ Terri)
    Married over 54 years. We have 2 daughters, 3 adult grandchildren
    Interests: Family🔹Mindful Living🔹Self Improvement 🔹Art🔹Literature🔹Crafts🔹
    Health and Fitness🔹Gardening🔹Writing🔹Travel🔹Lifelong Learning🔹Ecology🔹
    Heritage🔹Environment/🔹Nature🔹
    Dec 2001: Early Retirement from teaching
    Dec 2006: Retirement from all paid employment
    Volunteer group leader for lifelong learning charity (currently suspended by Covid)

Weight loss project:
    March 2014: 227 lbs
    August 2020: 149.8
    October 2020: 146.4
    Maintaining since Nov 2019 using CI/CO and extra calories from exercise.
    Focus for 2020: Maitenance; improve stamina, strength, and flexibility.

Positive Intentions for October: Update
    🔹Focus ~ strength/stamina: ✅
    Very happy with the results of my efforts since the middle of June.
    Weight stabilised below 150. All my stats are in the normal range for my age/height.
    🔹Weight maintained below 150 ✅
    1 August 2019: 171.1
    1 August 2020: 149.8
    1 Sept: : 149.4
    1 Oct: 149.2
    1 Nov: 146.8
    🔹Reduce Fat%:✅ 29.3 -> 23.9
    🔹Increase Muscle%: ✅ 28.7 -> 30.9
    🔹Calories in the green ✅
    🔹Steps > 7500 ✅
    🔹Intentional exercise > 50 mins daily ✅
    (Dancing/Gardening/walking/HIIT/Yoga/Pilates/TaiChi/Circuits)
    🔹Active hours > 6 daily ✅
    Some of the Activities I got to do
    Meditation✅ HIIT ✅ TaiChi/Yoga/Pilates ✅ Dancing ✅ walk/jog ✅ Gardening ✅
    Skype with family ✅ art/crafts ✅ watch TV ✅ Puzzles ✅
    Watercolour painting ✅ Writing ✅ Catalogue poetry ✅ Paperwork ✅
    Household chores l✅ shopping (with social distancing) ✅ Decluttering ✅
    Sew masks ✅

Positive Intentions for November (similar to October)
    🔹Focus ~ strength/stamina:
    🔹Maintain weight < 150
    1 August 2019: 171.1
    1 August 2020: 149.8
    1 Sept: : 149.4
    1 Oct: 149.2
    1 Nov: 146.8
    🔹Reduce Fat%:✅ 29.3 -> 23.9
    🔹Increase Muscle%: ✅ 28.7 -> 30.9
    🔹Calories in the green
    🔹Steps > 7500
    🔹Intentional exercise > 50 mins daily
    (Dancing/Gardening/walking/HIIT/Yoga/Pilates/TaiChi/Circuits)
    🔹Active hours > 6 daily
    Some of the Activities I may get to do
    Meditation🔹 HIIT 🔹 TaiChi/Yoga/Pilates 🔹 Dancing 🔹 walk/jog 🔹 Gardening
    Skype with family 🔹 art/crafts 🔹 watch TV 🔹 Puzzles
    Watercolour painting 🔹 Writing 🔹 Catalogue poetry 🔹Paperwork
    Household chores 🔹 shopping (with social distancing) 🔹 Decluttering
    Sew masks 🔹

☘️ Terri

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    MACHKA and BARBARA so agree about living through historic events, DH and I were only talking about that the other day. We watch quite a lot of stuff about WW1 and 2 and Korea, Vietnam etc we were young and in love when Vietnam was happening and saw a lot of footage on TV and loved all the protest songs. I suppose because UK was kept out of the conflict it didn’t really impact on us. Only now do we realise how momentous these events were. Apologies, don’t mean to be political just ruminating on the fact that all our lives we are living history.
    This is all a bit philosophical for Sunday morning

Love the kiddie photos

We start full lockdown again next Thu, not sure it will work but it will get the numbers down for now, getting political again ( feel free to slap me ( there should be an emoji for that) 😀😀

Hoping to join a Zoom session later today, it has been set up as a community resource. The first is a general get together quiz, chat etc Then there are various sessions during the week, I’ve booked a place on the Knit-n-natter session. We’ll see how it goes

Stay safe everyone

Kate UK ❤️
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited November 2020
    Thank you, Barbie, you are such a rock for all of us.

Re: October goals - While I "accomplished" the goals I set, it was not through active attention, as they were all pushed to the side. So, on the balance sheet of time, October was pretty much a write-off. Such is life.

For November, I'll try this again:
    • Be healthier
    • Be lighter

That's enough and more for now.

For our North American folks, don't forget turning the clocks back! My husband I both spaced it last night, so my watch and computer were totally off from the wall clocks this morning. Need to go reset them, but I have a kitty on my lap purring. Good excuse as any!

Happy November, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Sunday --

Slept in. Relaxed. And then we went out for a bicycle ride. It was a gorgeous day with sunshine, temps in the high teens and fairly light winds. The scenery around here is gorgeous because we've had more rain than usual and everything is bright green and blossoming. It was almost all countryside - rolling hills, pastures, mountains in the distance, and farm animals. Wonderful!

But I got lost. The ride was supposed to be 35 km only I had looked at the map briefly before we left and didn't check the route when we were on it. I took a wrong turn and some time later realised we were on a longer ride than intended. Oh well. It was a lovely day.

However, 50 km is the longest distance we have cycled since Christmas and I've wanted to do a ride like that since then!!

I am a bit out of shape. There was a time I could cycle 50 km and not feel it ... just a casual after-work ride. This time, by about 45 km, my legs were starting to complain. I told them to keep moving or they wouldn't get dinner.

Distance: 50.20km
    Elevation: 321m
    Moving Time: 2:52:33
    Elapsed Time: 2:56:45
    Speed: Avg: 17.5km/h | Max: 51.5km/h
    Calories 721

And then we walked to the local pub for dinner and back. That was about 1 km.

I had a delicious pasta with pumpkin sauce, spinach, pine nuts and feta. :) So my legs got their dinner. :)

M in Oz
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Thanks Barbie for bringing us to Happy November! :)

Carol in GA