The middle agers group. (Upper 30s,40s & 50ish folks)

Options

Replies

• kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Great day for a paddle!

9oc07nztvuk4.jpg
    ctsekjmb10kp.jpg

Looks llike a great day for canoeing. It is snowing here so no so good for canoeing :(.
  • Spartacus888
    Spartacus888 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, 33 here feel free to add me. Looking forward to take training seriously from here on out. 10 years of manual labor has made me feel like an old man. Trying my best to bounce back.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »
    Here is a video from my dive a few days ago. I am the diver top left. I forgot to clip off my canister torch - I must have been distracted!

https://youtu.be/fGP_1_j16gI

Douglas Adams was right about dolphins.

Danny, the dolphin in this video, died last week after a boat strike. RIP Danny.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    So my plan today was the clear out the gardens, go for a walk....then it snowed! Hey @forestfreek did you get snow last night or was this maybe lake effect?
  • forestfreek
    forestfreek Posts: 5,770 Member
    Options
    @AliNouveau - yeah it snowed here too. Although I’m surrounded by water (Georgian Bay) so it could be lake effect. It’s supposed to go back up to 12 by Wednesday so don’t put the runners away too soon....lol.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    @AliNouveau - yeah it snowed here too. Although I’m surrounded by water (Georgian Bay) so it could be lake effect. It’s supposed to go back up to 12 by Wednesday so don’t put the runners away too soon....lol.

I saw that. What a crazy forecast. The snow looks pretty at least. My son was very excited
  • forestfreek
    Options
    I’m a winter fan so I agree with you. Looks pretty out there this morning😊💕
  • coffee_n_weights
    coffee_n_weights Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Good morning and happy Monday peeps! No white stuff here yet (PA) but crazy winds.
    @forestfreek - fall fan here but I am feeling ready for the transition this year. Maybe it's because it's been such a crazy year and I want the "normalcy" of the holidays (although they won't be normal?). Or - I could just be craving comfort foods too, which is real possibility!
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @annliz23 I'll do dry until Thanksgiving with you!!
  • forestfreek
    Options
    @coffee_n_weights - i feel the exact same. I’m eager for the holidays to come just to be able to have all the lights and the Christmas tree up. But definitely am not going to do well with forgoing all of the treats and beverages 😂😂😂
  • forestfreek
    Options
    @cgrout78 - when is your Thanksgiving?
    I could try to do it for that long possibly 😬😂
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Helloooo middle agers! Hope you're Monday is not too awful.
    Been lashing here all morning but sun's starting to creep out now. Very cold though. No show thankfully.

@mtaratoot I went kayaking a few months ago with husband and the girls, it was our wedding anniversary outing. We couldn't really do much else as restaurants/pubs have been mostly closed since March.
    We had a great time though, did a guided tour on the Blessington lakes which is about 30 mins from our house. I absolutely love kayaking, it's just so peaceful, floating on the water. I do get blisters at my thumbs though, so not sure if the fast paddling would be suitable for me.
    I'm just thinking, paddling, canoeing, kayaking, it's all the same/similar right?
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Oh @AliNouveau I almost didn't recognise you with your new 'do!

And welcome @Missmass4 and @Spartacus888 :)
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    @cgrout78 - when is your Thanksgiving?
    I could try to do it for that long possibly 😬😂

Uhmmmm November 26th I think?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Helloooo middle agers! Hope you're Monday is not too awful.
    Been lashing here all morning but sun's starting to creep out now. Very cold though. No show thankfully.

@mtaratoot I went kayaking a few months ago with husband and the girls, it was our wedding anniversary outing. We couldn't really do much else as restaurants/pubs have been mostly closed since March.
    We had a great time though, did a guided tour on the Blessington lakes which is about 30 mins from our house. I absolutely love kayaking, it's just so peaceful, floating on the water. I do get blisters at my thumbs though, so not sure if the fast paddling would be suitable for me.
    I'm just thinking, paddling, canoeing, kayaking, it's all the same/similar right?

Similar for sure. I do both, and I also row a raft. I paddle both sea kayaks and whitewater kayaks, and I paddle both flatwater and whitewater canoes. All the boats are different as are the experiences. I really enjoy the new fast ultralight canoe. It's so graceful. I'm working on getting my paddle length dialed in. The people I paddle with are really fast, almost to the point where it's no longer enjoyable, but it's a good workout. Maybe I'll get more efficient with my stroke over the next decade or two.

As you do more paddling, you'll get callouses on the wear areas. I started wearing rowing gloves for a while to help reduce the friction until I rebuilt mine for flatwater canoeing. It's a different animal for sure.

All else being equal, canoeing is probably more challenging, especially in whitewater. One primary reason is that in a kayak, you have a deck and spray skirt. In a canoe, even if you have splash covers, there's a hole in the top through which water may enter. I have never learned to successfully roll a canoe, so if I flip, I swim. In a kayak, I can roll up. In a canoe, you only have one blade on your paddle, so you take about half as many strokes. Then again, each stroke is about 30% more powerful, so it can even out. In whitewater canoeing, you only paddle on one side and use correction strokes. In flatwater sit-and-switch paddling, you alternate sides every two to six strokes so you don't lose momentum with correction strokes. Soon it will be raining, and the rivers will run again. I'm kind of looking forward to getting back in some whitewater. One of these days I'll row the raft again - that's a whole OTHER animal!
  • NorthStar77
    NorthStar77 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    It will be 15°F this week. It was already -20 °F one night. What happens in Canada doesn't stay in Canada. I went to the West Edmonton Mall around Thanksgiving one year. I was in a small plane and there was icing on the wings. It was so bad we left that plane there, rented a van and drove all of the way home. One of the longest rides of my lifetime. It was so brutally cold and I always wonder, why doesn't the weather channel talk about what's really going with the weather for all of the peoples across Canada. I think about your weather of the time.

Canadians have true grit. Why don't we hear about you on the weather channel. :)
  • forestfreek
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    It will be 15°F this week. It was already -20 °F one night. What happens in Canada doesn't stay in Canada. I went to the West Edmonton Mall around Thanksgiving one year. I was in a small plane and there was icing on the wings. It was so bad we left that plane there, rented a van and drove all of the way home. One of the longest rides of my lifetime. It was so brutally cold and I always wonder, why doesn't the weather channel talk about what's really going with the weather for all of the peoples across Canada. I think about your weather of the time.

Canadians have true grit. Why don't we hear about you on the weather channel. :)

Canada is a very large country. The weather they get Northern and Westernly Canada isn’t the same as we get here in Ontario and Quebec. Our weather here is no worse than many of the northern states of the U.S.