WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• mrsbfe
    mrsbfe Posts: 52 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Whoops! If I would have read down a bit I would have seen the answer!
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    ...online class on dressing your shape.

That's so interesting, and looks great! Where did you find that class?

Sheri in OH
  • CurvyCalorie
    CurvyCalorie Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    @mrsbfe I feel the same way. I try. Haha
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,611 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1 hr 48min 37sec, 2.86ap, 91ahr, 136mhr, 120elev, 8.18mi= 771c
    Strava app = 991c
    Zwift bike trainer - 26.59min, 22.4amph, 177elev, 142ahr, 160mhr, 10.07mi= 268c
    Strava app= 265c

Total cal 1039
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,010 Member
    Options
    My diet has gone downhill again. Yesterday my mom agreed that I would make pork, and we thawed it. Next thing I know she made lamb chops early, and I ate them. Over calories and outside my window, And it's encouraging her. She went shopping this morning before I got up and bought meat that won't fit in any of the freezers.

It's so frustrating. Even when we make a meal plan she claims she doesn't remember it. I was doing okay for a week eating my stuff at four and cooking for Dad at five. But then we had Mom's birthday cake.

I know there are a lot of worse problems out there. And I know Mom will get worse. I just can't seem to stay on my own program when she is determined to feed me fried meat every night.

Annie in Delaware

Do you write the meal plan down and post it on the fridge or somewhere visible?

And why is the meat fried? There are other ways to cook meat. Personally, I don't like meat so I would just eat a very small portion or say "no thank you".

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. We had fried pork chops tonight. I was able to help cook but not eat any, so much better. I don't know why my mom fries everything. She eats a high fat diet so she probably just likes it better.
    Next up is a problem with a prescription drug price. There is always something!
    Annie in Delaware
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,749 Member
    Options
    Annie can you try the Good RX app or Single Care
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,226 Member
    Options
    ☘️ Terri
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,762 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Got "crowned" yesterday.
    Is it normal for a tooth crown to feel slightly too high?
    Will it compress down eventually?

Got taxes done today.

For the past 6 years, I have been working full time and attending university part-time. At first I was taking one course in each of 2 semesters so I had my summers off, but then in January 2018, I decided that was too slow, and started taking summer courses so I was just getting 2 or 3 weeks off university between courses now and then but was, of course, still working full time. Those 2 or 3 weeks was just enough time to get the very most urgent thing or two done before I started my next course.

At last, I have finished university!! My graduation is on December 18.

So now, I'm slowly but surely working my way through the long, long list of things I've shoved to the back burner over the past 6 years and especially over the past 3 years.

This dental work and my taxes are two things on that list.

I'm on that list too.

During my first 3 years in university, I lost weight and got fit. When I turned 50 I was in the best shape I had been in years!! Maybe having summers off helped - I could focus on me for at least 1/3 of the year.

During the past 3 years, I've gain weight and lost fitness. Work + university assisted with that but so did the fact that my husband had a workplace accident in March 2018 which resulted in a severe brain injury. So for the past 3 years I've been doing work + university + carer. I've left my own health and fitness etc. on the back burner.

So I'm working on getting fit again with walking and cycling. I'm also easing into climbing stairs and running again.

M in Oz

In my experience, no that’s not normal and it will not compress. It’s not been set right and you should return to the dentist. When you leave your mouth should feel “normal “ not like you have a new tooth.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I've been to the dentist this morning, and had the tooth shaved down. Apparently it was kind of sitting at an angle - not quite as flat as it should have been. I still don't think it is 100% perfect, but it is a lot better. I was able to eat something earlier today and use my teeth more or less properly. And this is a lot easier to ignore than how it was before.

M in Oz

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,367 Member
    Options
    Worked this morning. Then did 30 Minutes to Fitness Cardio Blast DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do one segment of the Dressed Up Drills DVD. After this, I’ve done all the different workouts.

Barbara
    – I have to go for the fasting blood work on Friday. No fun fasting. I’ll take a muffin in the car with me to chow down on right after they take the blood

Talking about leaving pocketbooks in the cart. This morning I had a customer who needed to get her order to $50 and she needed about $3 more. So she went back into the store to get a few more items but she left her pocketbook in the cart. I kept my eye on it. Nothing happened, but you never know

Barbara – even when I’m loading groceries into the trunk, I have my pocketbook on my shoulder. One time I put it down in the trunk and closed the trunk. The car was locked so Vince had to come to open the car. He wasn’t a happy camper

Tina CA – Vince and I are like you and your hubby, only backwards. Vince is the homebody so that “stay at home” didn’t affect him at all. Now I am the person who was always on the go, being with people etc. I thought I’d go out of my mind having to stay at home. I’m sort-of getting used to it. You would not believe the crafts that I’ve done. I laugh and say that I am running out of friends to give things to.

Speaking of crafts: I have been suggesting to Vince that we go to Michael’s and get the frame and maybe a mat if we need it for the jigsaw puzzle I did. Update: we got the things to make your own frame from Hobby Lobby and I've ordered the glass from this glass place.

Rained REALLY hard here. I was going to go out and get the carts, but the manager told me to wait until the rain eased up and she’d help me. I think she wanted to get out of the store. They did a deep clean of the floors yesterday so this morning everything had to be put back. She mentioned that she was going to get a headache from the smell. They did put the fans on. Actually, another gal came and went and got the carts. She didn’t have an umbrella (said she didn’t have one) and she told me that she doesn’t have a washer or dryer and that her bf doesn’t have a job. Guess money is tight for her.

The gal called me yesterday to ask if I wanted to work today. It’s not that I WANTED to but I suspect that maybe people don’t like having to be there at 7am. To me it’s not a big problem at all.

I don’t know how many many times something comes up and I’ve thought of someone on this thread, that they’d be interested in it, or how does it affect them?

Fae – which app again is it? I downloaded a few yesterday because I couldn’t figure out how to start the next game and it kept taking me to this poker app. If I know the one you use, I can ask you questions about things that I maybe can’t figure out….lol

Stephanie in Idaho
    – Come in and sit a spell. Put up your feet and take a sip of water. Jump in when something interests you

Had a pretty bad (for me) hot flash last night. I’m thinking that if I don’t have a decent diet (I did have a few of those cookies I made for Vince) before going to bed, I have a hot flash. I do know that exercising makes the hot flashes not as bad for me. Guess we shall see if the donut this lady brought to Newcomer bowling tonight affects me.

M
    – I’m not going to show Vince your catio. He’ll want one. Did you build that yourself? Wouldn’t surprise me if Anne’s mom fed her fried meat because that’s what the mom likes and grew up on.

Newcomer bowling tonight

Katla
    – I usually shop the store, too. Aldi sometimes has special buys that wouldn’t be on the website. WalMart has a minimum amount you need for the order and I prefer to pick out my own meats and produce.

Bailtruck
    – welcome. Boy, you’ve certainly come to the place where we can all relate to how you feel. Come back often for support, ideas (maybe), even just someone to commiserate with.

Michele NC
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, fasted for blood work, returned adjustor’s call, post office, eye doctor about VSP/invoice, massage, iphone to shop, meeting prep, board meeting,
    Bonus:
    Get to do: MD appt, coffee/stroll with Barb, minutes, watch STAS Day 15, car to body shop, submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Sleeping with the Devil, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs. Next Wednesday minutes to history. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    New Ways November
    11: Be curious, learn about a new topic or an inspiring idea: keep slogging through The Obesity Code, watch the next STAS video, listen to an STAS podcast

Heather your rug, floors, room, décor, stained glass, fireplace are all lovely. I especially like the pink vase, the shape of that mirror and the view into the next room. I don’t like any of those alternatives, what is the fourth choice? SMH at a phone chat with the MD, should at least be FaceTime or Zoom. The doctor needs to be able to see you and you to read his reactions too.
    Tracey Neither receptionist 1 nor receptionist 2 ever called back with new appointment or explanation of the uncalled for test. Assistant #1 called to perform pre-appointment COVID-19 screening. When I explained my doubts, she assured me that the courier left at 2pm and the results would be in before my 10:30 appointment. We shall see. :devil:
    Annie what a tough spot you are in! Would she accept “No, thanks, doctor’s orders!” ? You might have to say it every doggoned day. :cry:
    Welcome @stephtra49 Stephanie in SE Idaho. Con VERY grats on being almost halfway to your goal, that was quick!
    Debbie nope sorry, don’t remember the candle factory per se, but remember when the Yountville shopping village was a cool and new destination to us, was that it?
    Welcome @BailTuck would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale? It is so frustrating that our husbands can burn off amazing quantities of food while we cannot. Hope you ease back into walking safely with no return of tendonitis.
    Allie good luck with the video appointment. Getting a second opinion (soon as you get the first that is :laugh: ) is only wise. You go girl!
    Sheri no need to respond to everyone. I just keep a word document and type as I read. It’s an OCD character flaw, a compulsion to reply almost all the time to everyone. Don’t do as I do… ;)
    Michele “…and I prefer to pick out my own meats and produce” Amen, sister AMEN!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    November: better than October.
    daily: sit with Joe: 11, weigh: 11, steps>5491=5708 vits=11 log=11 CI<CO=10 CI<250<CO=6 Tumble & Shadow 5=12 mfp=11 outside=10 up hill=10
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=0 rx=2 dance=1 clean 30 mins=3.75
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=0 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=7 play=0 sew=0
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,992 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, fasted for blood work, returned adjustor’s call, post office, eye doctor about VSP/invoice, massage, iphone to shop, meeting prep, board meeting,
    Bonus:
    Get to do: MD appt, coffee/stroll with Barb, minutes, watch STAS Day 15, car to body shop, submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Sleeping with the Devil, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; weed drive again, finish weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs. Next Wednesday minutes to history. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments
    New Ways November
    11: Be curious, learn about a new topic or an inspiring idea: keep slogging through The Obesity Code, watch the next STAS video, listen to an STAS podcast

Heather your rug, floors, room, décor, stained glass, fireplace are all lovely. I especially like the pink vase, the shape of that mirror and the view into the next room. I don’t like any of those alternatives, what is the fourth choice? SMH at a phone chat with the MD, should at least be FaceTime or Zoom. The doctor needs to be able to see you and you to read his reactions too.
    Tracey Neither receptionist 1 nor receptionist 2 ever called back with new appointment or explanation of the uncalled for test. Assistant #1 called to perform pre-appointment COVID-19 screening. When I explained my doubts, she assured me that the courier left at 2pm and the results would be in before my 10:30 appointment. We shall see. :devil:
    Annie what a tough spot you are in! Would she accept “No, thanks, doctor’s orders!” ? You might have to say it every doggoned day. :cry:
    Welcome @stephtra49 Stephanie in SE Idaho. Con VERY grats on being almost halfway to your goal, that was quick!
    Debbie nope sorry, don’t remember the candle factory per se, but remember when the Yountville shopping village was a cool and new destination to us, was that it?
    Welcome @BailTuck would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale? It is so frustrating that our husbands can burn off amazing quantities of food while we cannot. Hope you ease back into walking safely with no return of tendonitis.
    Allie good luck with the video appointment. Getting a second opinion (soon as you get the first that is :laugh: ) is only wise. You go girl!
    Sheri no need to respond to everyone. I just keep a word document and type as I read. It’s an OCD character flaw, a compulsion to reply almost all the time to everyone. Don’t do as I do… ;)
    Michele “…and I prefer to pick out my own meats and produce” Amen, sister AMEN!

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    November: better than October.
    daily: sit with Joe: 11, weigh: 11, steps>5491=5708 vits=11 log=11 CI<CO=10 CI<250<CO=6 Tumble & Shadow 5=12 mfp=11 outside=10 up hill=10
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=0 rx=2 dance=1 clean 30 mins=3.75
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=0 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=7 play=0 sew=0

No, it was called Hurd's Beeswax Candle Factory I think- it was right on Hwy 29 between Calistoga and St. Helena-
    I have only stopped at the shopping village in Yountville once or twice. Have been to the Vet's home many many times- I used to go there with my grandma for poppy making or other events with the vets.
    Debbie
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Barbara, thanks, no, "creepy bucky" has not tainted my enjoyment of the game. As I said, there are a few "regulars" that I play against and they don't feel the need to chat either, so life is good!
    Heather, I'm glad your rug arrived and that you are happy with it.
    Our son, daughter in law and the grands came over for dinner tonite. Always so nice to see them. Our grandson didn't want to hug when they left, his parents were sort of getting annoyed with him, but I said no, I'm not going to force him. I don't want him thinking that he has to do something because an adult tells him to, even if it means not getting a hug from him. Last time he did that, he ran back as they were leaving and gave me a big hug, but not this time. I did get a few quick cuddles with him while they were here, and our granddaughter cuddled for awhile with her bottle, so it's all good.
    That's all I got for tonite, it's getting late and I have to work tomorrow, so I must head into the shower and then bed. Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies! Please don't feel that you must comment on every post! We are a chatty bunch! What I sometimes do is open MFP twice, split the screen, read on one, and write comments in the other. That way, when I'm all caught up, I haven't forgotten anything. I can only do that on my desktop, don't think I can do it on my phone and it would be so small I wouldn't be able to read it anyway!
    Evelyn on chilly Vancouver Island
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,283 Member
    Options
    I get nearly all my meat from the butcher round the corner and nearly all my veggies fresh from the deli next to that. They are fresh, local and organic and not wrapped in plastic. The bread is artisan from the deli or a baker. My fish comes from a fish market on the harbour. But there are still loads of standard items that I need every two weeks! Paper goods, cleaning, frozen, condiments, AF wine and beer, tinned items, jarred, cheeses, and Waitrose do especially good custard tarts for DH, and charcoal grilled artichokes for me. Olives, Pimientos de Padron - that I can't get anywhere else. Prince Charles does very good eggs. They are an organic range called Duchy. I manage to spend around €140 on the delivery. More sometimes.
    We haven't been to a proper supermarket since March. The small shops we go to only have one or two people at a time inside, masked of course. I haven't had a visitor indoors, or been to anyone's house since March. I haven't been anywhere indoors at all. We are isolating. At the butcher I can stand outside and they bring it to me.
    I haven't been further than I can walk since December. I have been in a car once for a mile. I collect my normal fresh shopping in a wheeled trolley. We buy in bulk things like toilet paper, tea, coffee, kitchen towel, condiments, rice, they are stored in the garage and utility room.
    I would love to go to a shop. I haven't been in a non essential shop since March. We are in lockdown again, but I haven't been into town since March.
    The deliveries are a huge help to us. Many things are not available within walking distance. I know their range extremely well and things like the charcoal grilled artichokes and the cheeses are heaven. Their sun dried tomatoes are the best.
    Yum! Making myself hungry!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Heather: I shop for groceries often. I don’t know of any service that delivers food to your home in our town, other than meals on wheels from the senior center. One of the pizza places may also deliver. I’m not sure about that because we no longer eat pizza. DH can't eat anything with gluten. The gluten free pizza we tried was not very good. Several restaurants will bring meals to your car. The grocery stores will deliver your grocery order to your car, too. We have used that service and the food they brought to our car was exceptionally nice.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Groceries:
    We've had them delivered since July 2018. About once a week or two, I place an order online and a day or two later, it arrives.
    We rarely eat meat so about all I get in the grocery order might be chicken mince and deli meats.
    We grow quite a lot of fresh veg and otherwise get frozen veggies and sweet potatoes through the online/delivery method.
    I'll order a bit of fruit through the online/delivery but most of the time I go to a fresh fruit and veg market for my fruit.

Restaurants:
    We go to restaurants and cafes now. They're open although the tables are spaced out a bit more which suits me. However, if we wanted to eat restaurant food at home, we'd use Uber Eats or some other delivery service.

Going out:
    It's business as usual here. We haven't had a case of C19 in at least 90 days and we're open to most of the rest of the mainland. I suspect that we'll start seeing cases again by Dec 11, but we'll deal with it when it happens.

I take the bus to work, I work in the office, I visit the shops at lunch, we go to the hardware store or other places on weekends, we visit cafes/restaurants, we exercise outside or in our home gym, and we travel around Tasmania.

I think it's good to take advantage of opportunities to see and do different things when we can ... even if it is just a drive to a hiking trail or quiet country road somewhere to be active and enjoy the outdoors away from other people.

I do, however, use the hand sanitiser and try as much as possible to keep my distance from other people. Now that we've been introduced to those possibilities, I like them and want to keep them! I like having hand sanitiser available in each store entry and I like staying 1.5 metres (or more!) away from other people.

I have hugged no one but my husband since March ... or actually, since well before that. :) I can't remember the last time I hugged someone other than my husband. I don't hug people. I've long suspected I fit within autism spectrum disorder.

M in Oz
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Caught up today sorry if I don’t comment but can’t always remember what I’ve read🤣
    Welcome all new ladies
    HEATHER love the rug it fits in very well
    ALLIE hope you sort the Dr surgery problem
    Had my knit-n-natter Zoom session yesterday, lovely group of ladies. 2 hours and time flies by makes a nice break in the middle of the day. Have another this afternoon, it’s just a chat with other ladies over 60, last week there were only 3 of us but we had a little quiz, which prompted laughs, memories and diverse conversations. So hoping today is just as good. These sessions have been organised by 3 ladies who wanted to help with mental health and isolation. They have only just started but have organised these sessions until Christmas but will carry on after hopefully. There are 2 sessions every day ranging from yoga, cooking, new mums, bingo and quiz, singing. In theory could take part in all of them, might give the bingo and quiz a go next week.
    End of 1st week of lockdown but here we’d already had 3 weeks of restrictions. Numbers are coming down 😀

Stay safe
    Kate UK ❤️