WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,225 Member
    Options
    Katla - Food delivery is a huge thing in the UK. You see delivery vans out on the streets all the time. It's the new normal. When our first lockdown happened it was very difficult to find a slot. You could only bag a rare one if you were online in the middle of the night! I applied for Priority Delivery because of our ages and got it. That means I can book longer ahead. I book a slot every two weeks which is perfect for us.
    Tonight's dinner will be the delivery 's charcoal grilled veggies, with my homemade pesto, added frozen broadband, peas and artichokes, frozen King prawns and the delivery's pappardelle.
    Yum! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Michele It is called PBA Bowling app is all I know. It is on Google I pad apps I think. A friend set it up for me and I am still learning as I am not good with apps. I know the basics and that is about it. I finally made it into League Final play where I can build points to buy better balls. I am keeping my average at 184. It is becoming addictive. I had 7 strikes in a row before I blew it. My friend has been playing for months and has two 300 games.

Katla Doesn't your Safeway have the online shopper app where you pick out what you want and then someone shops for you and delivers it to your door? It has fees and you are expected to tip. I think it is called Instant Cart. We also have several enterprising young ladies that do shopping for you. It is sort of like Uber. They are great but their fees are 20% of the total. They wear masks and gloves and will carry it in for you. Real sweeties, but I still try to do all my Safeway shopping myself. I think even Wal Mart has a delivery service. I never tried it but I have neighbors using it. I do Costco that is delivered by UPS for many items, but they don't always have my favorite items. I have two young ladies that always call me when they are going to Costco which is great but I have to have the cash to pay them.

Updated Fae Morning Workout Routine with new bra-buster discipline for lung strength and pneumonia fighting.
    Fae Sas She workout

3 AM - Full 15 minutes of Fae She
    Slow precise moves based on
    martial arts disciplines

3:15 - Full pilate/yoga style workout
    As listed below

Down on all four.
    60 reps of the Downward Sprawled Frog scissor cross for abs. Alternate legs each rep. Keep abs tight.
    30 reps each side of the Side Flying Eagle with wrist and arm-twist and feet pointed to release tunnel syndromes. Alternate sides each rep. Hold each rep 3 seconds.
    30 reps each side before switching sides of the Dipping Waist Twisted Iguana to help align the spine and build abs while reducing waist fat roll.
    60 reps alternating leg each rep of the Kicking Frog for leg strength and aerobic benefit.

Up on feet.
    30 reps Working Girl Kitchen Counter Pushups to build chest and arm muscles and keep biceps toned.
    60 reps Defiant Girl High Steps with super hip action.
    30 reps of the Fae Sas for waist flexibility. 1 rep is
    a 15-foot slow walk on the ball of the foot as if wearing
    heels with exaggerated hip action to each side (sashay).
    15 reps of the Bra Buster which is taking a deep breath and then extending the chest out to the max while wearing a tight compression sports bra. Hold each breath with max chest expansion for 3 seconds.

Some time between dawn and noon - 3-5 mile walk with at least one-mile abs sucked in and sashay hip action.

Fae expanding spandex in the hills above the river

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Shopping services- I have a friend who got her house paid off a couple of years ago, she still needed to work, but decided she didn't want to work full time at her government job, anymore. SO...she works a handful of part time jobs. She was (pre covid) an on call roadie; setting up for concerts at the local arena, she is a bartender/server at the local bowling alley a couple of nights a week, and her biggest/highest paying gig is as a Shipt Shopper. She especially likes the Shipt job, because she can pick and choose which orders to pick up and decide how busy she wants to be. She is a happy camper, now. Katla, I bet you have Shipt shoppers or something like it, in your area. If you have a neighborhood facebook page, you could probably advertise on there for the need for shopping help. A lot of people in my area are doing things like this, just to help people out or to make a bit of $.
  • mrsbfe
    mrsbfe Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Sheri no need to respond to everyone. I just keep a word document and type as I read. It’s an OCD character flaw, a compulsion to reply almost all the time to everyone. Don’t do as I do… ;)

OMG yes! This is my problem as well.
  • Faetta
    edited November 2020
    Options
    mrsbfe wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Sheri no need to respond to everyone. I just keep a word document and type as I read. It’s an OCD character flaw, a compulsion to reply almost all the time to everyone. Don’t do as I do… ;)

OMG yes! This is my problem as well.

Loving all these OCD confessions. You girls will have to work hard to dethrone me as the OCD queen. I have had serious OCD since age 4. My OCD has kept me single for 50 years. I must try the word document thing. I try to answer one page at a time since the switching page deletes any unposted responses. I go back and edit, but by the time I do all this, another page has completed and I look like an old ditz.

Fae channeling her super OCD into higher efficiency
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,931 Member
    Options
    :) It is important to me to do my own shopping at the grocery store so I can make my own decisions about substitutions if what I want is not available. When I wanted to buy a turkey, roasting bag, and stuffing mix and they didn't have the brands I wanted, I decided that cooking a turkey wasn't necessary. At Costco when they didn't have the t.p. brand we wanted, Jake chose the stuff made with bamboo as a substitute.

:) About being OCD, I remember once being on the phone with a friend when I was in my classroom and she said something to me about wondering if I was OCD, and as I said, I wasn't, I noticed three books that were upside down on the bookshelf and went immediately to put them right.

:) We are very intentional about where we go and what we buy. Thus we go somewhere only a few times a month and shop online rather than searching for things in a store. There are several stores in my town where mask requirements seem somewhat optional or loosely monitored so we don't go into those stores.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • Faetta
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Dental crowns and restorations In the past I had 11 crowns and had my teeth completely rebuilt once. There is no excuse for a crown not being right before you leave the dentist's office. The dentist should insert a material between the teeth and have you do the tap tap tap thing so they can see high spots. They should grind and work until the teeth seat perfectly. When they get it right by their impression insert, you will know it.

I have argued with dentists and switched dentists many times in the past over this very thing. If you have used your TIME ALLOCATION and they still have work to do on that new crown, then it isn't your fault they are running behind. It is convenient for them to have you come back, but can create problems for you. The final test should be done with you sitting UP and the teeth should feel like they mesh perfectly.

High spots can cause jaw problems, especially in women. I always took great care of my teeth, but my high acid saliva and jaw joint damage and high stress of many years along with dentists that valued their time frame over doing a good job, and then topped off with hereditary gum disease, I finally had my remaining teeth pulled and went to premium dentures which suck bilge water, even with implants to hold the lowers. I wish I could afford to get 4 implants to hold top dentures, because gluing in the tops and still fighting gagging when I bite wrong and loosen them, finds me not wearing them except when going out to eat.

Sometimes I don't even wear them to go out and eat. I just say, "I will have whatever that baby is eating over there." It always tastes better than it looks. I don't like dining dates, because I always come off as a cheap date. $3.95 for baby food is very impressive to a tight-fisted old fart, however, such extravagance doesn't even earn the old wanker a weak Covid style side hug, let alone a good night kiss on his weathered whiskered cheek.

Never accept poor dental work. I would never have a root canal anywhere except at an endodontist. Very few regular dentists are skilled enough to do it right. When my teeth were pulled my NEW dentist showed me where several teeth had been drilled through the sides and filled when a root canal was done by a dentist that didn't have the skills or patience to do a proper job. They also showed me how the crowns weren't smoothed at the bottom so flossing could be done smoothly. If you can't keep that tooth clean, then it will probably be a problem.

All this info I learned the hard way does me no good, but I hope it helps someone to get better dental care. I have had it all done, fillings, root canals, crowns, implants, jaw surgery, wisdom teeth out, teeth pulled, gum surgery, deep cleaning, bite guards, braces (at age 38) TMJ therapy, gum grafts, dentures, and probably something I have forgotten about.

Fae with calloused gums singing the dental blues

• cityjaneLondon
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Barbie - Waitrose make very occasional substitutions if what you have ordered isn't available. You can say if you don't want them to substitute for any particular item, or for all. If you don't like the substitute they just take it back at the door and refund you. They email you before hand with the list and the substitutions they have made at the top. Today they are going to replace my Pie d'Anglois runny, stinky cheese with Epoisses. I am happy about this because the latter is even more runny and stinky, a larger size and much more expensive. They are only charging the former one's price. :D Delivery is free.

Went out for my 5k run because the weather was glorious and is going to change tomorrow. Rain over the weekend. The tide was right out and the waves were running in lines. Fabulous noise. Blue sky. Kite surfers. My little piece of heaven.
    My hip doesn't bother me when I run. ;)

Barbara - Glad you like my room. I spent a lot of thought getting it right. I have to drag DH along with me, so it's a slow process. Plus I find it hard to choose. I also love my pink glass vase, which I bought last year to celebrate our Crystal wedding anniversary, 15 years. The mirror took some searching for.
    I am very happy that the rug is coming out of its squished, packaging look and is developing a lovely velvety pile that shows feet tread in a very attractive way. I'm loving that. It was hand made to order in India,so a bit of a risk! Not cheap. I'm beginning to fall in love with it and its brushed velvet look. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Faetta
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    493apb0hel00.png

Meanwhile ...

Slowly adjusting to post-uni life.

I'm finding that my current deadlines are not as strict as my uni deadlines. 🙂
    I can actually stop working on something and go to bed instead of staying up till 3 am to finish. 🙂

M in Oz

It will no doubt be the best day in 2020. I am looking forward to it!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,558 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Machka: Congratulations on all your hard work and success! :flowerforyou:

Michele: I am betting that you keeping an eye on that cart is the main reason it wasn’t stolen. WTG!!! Add me to the group of people who prefer to pick out our own produce. :star:

Barbara: I also keep a word document open and type as I read. (Great minds think alike.) :wink:

M in OZ: I’m not a hugger, either, except for my immediate family. At this time, that is DH. Our adult children & our grandchildren live far away. :ohwell:

Kate UK: Your zoom sessions seem like a wonderful chance to socialize. WTG! :smiley:

Heather & Faetta: We live in a small town and none of our grocery stores are offering home delivery, as far as I know. They are offering curbside or parking lot pick-up after you call in your order. This includes Safeway, IGA, & Fred Meyer in the next town over. :star: I have never seen a taxi in our town, other than the one that was a prop in the Halloween Town movie. That taxi is locally owned and paraded here and there but it is not a taxi service. :noway:

Barbie: I agree with this, “It is important to me to do my own shopping at the grocery store so I can make my own decisions about substitutions if what I want is not available. When I wanted to buy a turkey, roasting bag, and stuffing mix and they didn't have the brands I wanted, I decided that cooking a turkey wasn't necessary. At Costco when they didn't have the t.p. brand we wanted, Jake chose the stuff made with bamboo as a substitute."

The nearest Costco to us is in Hillsboro, and that area has much higher CoVID cases that we have in our county, so we won’t be going there any time soon.

Faetta: I’m hoping that Friday the 13th is lucky for us all. :star:

Katla in Beautifully moist NW Oregon :wink:
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,745 Member
    Options
    The local supermarkets here still have a small town feel even though we are technically in a city. Only Walmart has curbside pick up where you can order online and have them brought out to the car. There are no delivery services except a local one that is very expensive and only has huge bulk style items. (Think Costco) The times available have been about a 2-3 week wait since March. I just go and get what I need wearing a mask and making sure I sanitize my hands.

Kate - I think your zoom sessions are a wonderful idea! I love the name Knit-n-Natter. It reminds me of crafting days and evenings I used to enjoy.

I was born on a Friday the 13th so quite enjoy them myself. I had a Great Uncle that would not visit with me on my birthday, he would the day before or after though. He was quite superstitious.

I am at work and it is gearing up to be a busy day, I best get at it.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,858 Member
    Options
    Grocery delivery I might do it for standard items but not for meat and veggies unless it is frozen. Fresh items like lettuce and other greens I need to choose. Just my thing. DH loves grocery shopping but impulse buys a lot. Costs me too much when he goes with me.

Zoom believe it or not , I’ve never done a zoom meeting. I’ve done others when working like “Go To Meeting”. At home i use Face Time, or Messenger video. Just never tried Zoom.
    crowns I had one once to hold a bridge in but the root rotted and ended having to get it pulled and put on my bridge. Dentist saying most of my teeth have cracks in them from nighttime clenching and grinding but I won’t agree to it. First off too expensive, second; I already have a partial plate that I’ve had since I was 18 (the bridge didn’t last long enough for me to get another). Started with 2 teeth now have 6 on it so when I need ir, I’ll have the others pulled as needed and added to existing plate. Once and done!

Slowly recovering from colitis/allergy attack this weekend but still not 100%. About 75% back to normal.

This is getting long so see ya laters ladies!

RV Rita
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,753 Member
    Options
    My county in Western New York has seen a surge of covid and is considered a "hot spot" in the state. We are on "yellow alert" ... which doesn't seem much different than what it's been. However, I'm fairly certain this is the precursor to "orange" and then a full "red" lockdown. My husband's employer, a utility provider, has already issued a letter stating that workers who can work from home will do so until ... get this ... July 2021!! As my husband is still slated to retire 2/1/2021, this won't really affect us. Our church (my employer) is preparing in the event we need to close our doors again. Sigh.

We have multiple shopping options in my area. Like many of you, I always preferred to pick out my own produce and meats. I decided to try the shoppers and I have to say I received some of the nicest look items I've ever seen and that includes from both Walmart and Aldi's. The more expensive stores in town ... meh ... not as nice! I've been doing my own shopping in recent months, but may very well go back to shopping/delivery services if things don't improve.

Beth near Buffalo

• cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Katla - no taxis? !!!! I've just checked on Uber and at this moment there are eight cabs circling our road. Plus the local cab firms a phone call away. We also have buses every few minutes at the end of the road. I haven't used either since March. :'( My world is now the house, the seafront and the shops around the corner.

Today was a lovely day. I fell in love with my rug, I had a wonderful run, I did some of my memoir and I had a terrific food delivery. Dinner was yummy. AF. If I get my exercise in, do my writing, each day then life is pretty good. I really only get a couple of hours in the afternoon that isn't occupied. Usually I do my languages then. I count myself very lucky, but I'm still missing my grandchildren. That does get to me. :s

My thoughts go out to those who are struggling right now. <3 So many.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx