WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Katla - no taxis? !!!! I've just checked on Uber and at this moment there are eight cabs circling our road. Plus the local cab firms a phone call away. We also have buses every few minutes at the end of the road. I haven't used either since March. :'( My world is now the house, the seafront and the shops around the corner.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

My home town in the middle of the U.S. does not have taxis, Uber, Lyft, or buses. One positive for people who can't or don't want to drive, with this pandemic is that delivery services from the city (45 miles away) will deliver some things to town (items from Costco), but it does cost a lot more. The local Walmart will do drive up service.

I enjoy the grocery delivery service for the mundane routine trips. I like to shop for specialty items. I have saved a lot of money using delivery. It does cost per year, but I don't impulse buy or browse and buy. I order what I need and nothing else. Plus, a lot less food spoils. The downside is that I can't get everything for every recipe or everything I want. However, for the most part, the shoppers get me excellent produce and meats and when I put a note in to get green bananas or unripened avocados, they do.

Uber will become very expensive soon, so I am now looking for a car. I haven't had my own car since 2016, but it looks like it will be more cost effective to get a plug in hybrid even for short trips than to take Uber. I really don't want a car, but because of some stupid legislation involving gig workers, it looks like it's a better option.

If any of you have a PHEV, please let me know which one and how you like it. I'm open to ideas. I want something on the smaller side. It'll fit better in the garage. :smile:

Tina in CA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Heather: We live in a small city in a rural area. It is the county seat. Most residents drive their cars to shopping and other places. There are no taxi’s other than the yellow cab seen in the Halloween Town movie that was filmed here years ago. The owner has displayed it in local classic car rallies and it is also seen during the Halloween Town celebration every October. I have experienced Uber when travelling to and from an airport a few years ago. I was not very comfortable with the experience, but it was okay. We haven’t been on a flight in more than a year. :noway: Our county has a bus service that takes commuters to Portland and also transports some local people who live here to shop or attend to other personal business. :bigsmile:

Steph in SE Idaho: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Lisa- glad there is a diagnosis and my dad had that for quite awhile. And my cousin has it also.you know how she found out something was wrong? Her apple watch.. can you believe it?
    Tracy did fine in at 9:30 out at 12:30 ,she can go to work tomorrow but told her not to go home and start doing all sorts of stuff,minor surgery but surgery just the same,they told her on the ultrasound she only had one polyp,but they found a few but got everything out..i threw a load of laundry in for her andeent and picked up Taliah at school and and i came home and put the laundry in dryer.. i told her to lay low today and just rest so we shall see..but she thanked me for taking her.
    Im invited up to Susans house for dinner and will come home and make it an early night..
    I have to pick Dan up.in the morning and drop him off here he works 9-3 and i work 8-4 so he will just walk to my place and ill take him home.. since I had to take today off to take Tracy I will work this Saterday..
    And like Lisa i hope they can get down to the bottom of whats going on with me...i said if they had to do a stress test on the treadmill i would fail miserably. Honestly i cant do stairs at all i had to walk up about 10 and thank goodness there was an elevator to get to second floor to sign Tracy out....i would never have made it otherwise..
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    mrsbfe wrote: »
    Whoops! If I would have read down a bit I would have seen the answer!
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    ...online class on dressing your shape.

That's so interesting, and looks great! Where did you find that class?

Sheri in OH

I stumbled across it on Facebook. I watched a lot of the free videos, which got me interested in the class. I watch a lot of that kind of thing on dressing with style, decluttering, eating healthy, etc. Every now and then one will interest me enough to actually shell out money, but not often. It’s what I do instead of watching tv a lot of the time. This one is called Adore Your Wardrobe.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :) Fae, I post on this thread and Senior Golden Sneakers (it's a group) because I want to be with people who are supportive and encouraging. Life is too short to spend with people who are argumentative. We don't always agree (like whether to shop or have groceries delivered) but we are not critical or disagreeable with each other. Even when someone accidentally makes a divisive remark (like on election day, for example), all they get is a gentle reminder to steer clear of a particular subject.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    mrsbfe wrote: »
    Whoops! If I would have read down a bit I would have seen the answer!
    ...online class on dressing your shape.

That's so interesting, and looks great! Where did you find that class?

Sheri in OH

I stumbled across it on Facebook. I watched a lot of the free videos, which got me interested in the class. I watch a lot of that kind of thing on dressing with style, decluttering, eating healthy, etc. Every now and then one will interest me enough to actually shell out money, but not often. It’s what I do instead of watching tv a lot of the time. This one is called Adore Your Wardrobe.

A great alternative to watching TV. Your posts about what you are learning and putting into practice are inspirational.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    stephtra49 wrote: »
    I can only blame my weight gain on ME. I can get cravings for a sweet & then just eat & eat & eat. I know that I can't stop at only one, so its just easier to stay away from any sweets. I've been doing pretty good so far with tracking, planning & my cravings. I just really want to get back down to my goal weight. I just keep reminding myself that I want to get into shape for a 1/2 marathon & if I'm over weight, it wont help me any.
    I know the COVID thing is affecting a lot of people. As a nurse I have decided that I need to go about my life as usual because if I don't, I will sit & frett about it & gain more weight. I have come to the conclusion that its not if I get it it is when I get it. I have some of the best years ahead of me & i'm not going to waste them staying home. Its not worth it to me. I've beat breast cancer, pneumonia, depression & lots more! I am going to LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST!
    Sorry just had to get a little venting off my chest. :#

Steph in SE ID

I agree! Not living your life as close to normal as possible is a death sentence for so many during this mild (4% death rate) pandemic. My doctor encouraged me to make as few changes as possible from the get go.

Fae in North Central Or.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 38min 20sec, 81ahr, 102mhr, 2.93ap, 5.13mi= 418c
    Strava app = 621c
    Walk to store- 21.56min, .93mi= 88c
    Strava app = 113c

Total cal 508
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,101 Member
    Options
    Our town is large and there are many options for shopping, including several large malls near where we live. We have delivery available from most shops around here, but I like to select my own food. Fortunately we have early bird seniors shopping in lots of places. I bought new sandals in May, but otherwise have mostly stuck to grocery shopping, although we have made a few trips to the garden centre.

I had a lovely day today. Walked on the beach before lunch with DH, DYD and her dogs, met several friends we haven’t seen for ages and chatted at a distance. Tomorrow’s forecast is for rain, so will be indoors.

COVID cases are rising in our province, and it’s affecting treatment of other issues. Most of our hospitals are at full capacity. Our current lockdown was due to end tomorrow, but is being extended for an extra week, so I will miss my hair appt on Monday. IMHO they shouldn’t relax the restrictions until there is considerable improvement.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    Barbie - Waitrose make very occasional substitutions if what you have ordered isn't available. You can say if you don't want them to substitute for any particular item, or for all. If you don't like the substitute they just take it back at the door and refund you. They email you before hand with the list and the substitutions they have made at the top. Today they are going to replace my Pie d'Anglois runny, stinky cheese with Epoisses. I am happy about this because the latter is even more runny and stinky, a larger size and much more expensive. They are only charging the former one's price. :D Delivery is free.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Woolworths occasionally makes substitutions as well but when I order things, I can make a comment about what I would or would not like for a substitution. I've done that with a few items.

Also, when they do have to make a substitution, they send me an email in advance to let me know ... most of the time. ... and they choose an item of equal or greater value.

Delivery charges depend on how much we order. Last time it was free. Often it's about $3.

While we were on holiday, we actually went into a grocery store to pick up a few items ... felt a bit odd to do that in person!! :open_mouth:

M in Oz
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Had a nice long phone chat with my elder sister. She liked her flip book I sent her.:-) Since I don't flip thru my tablet anymore, watching TV and reading the guide used to be a problem, but it isn't anymore. Remember ladies to take many breaks during computer screen usage, and focus your eyes out the window. <3
    Today was a cheese and turkey sandwich in an onion bun. Then some coleslaw, and two of my yam bits in the syrup, with some oatmeal thrown in for measure. Oh and some marshmallows.

Nothing else today. It's cooold outside! My mind is making soup for tomorrows meal.....
    Tomorrow is shopping and we don't need to buy much.
    <3 Rebecca
    Whidbey freeeezing
    Washington
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,949 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Grocery delivery I might do it for standard items but not for meat and veggies unless it is frozen. Fresh items like lettuce and other greens I need to choose. Just my thing. DH loves grocery shopping but impulse buys a lot. Costs me too much when he goes with me.

Zoom believe it or not , I’ve never done a zoom meeting. I’ve done others when working like “Go To Meeting”. At home i use Face Time, or Messenger video. Just never tried Zoom.
    crowns I had one once to hold a bridge in but the root rotted and ended having to get it pulled and put on my bridge. Dentist saying most of my teeth have cracks in them from nighttime clenching and grinding but I won’t agree to it. First off too expensive, second; I already have a partial plate that I’ve had since I was 18 (the bridge didn’t last long enough for me to get another). Started with 2 teeth now have 6 on it so when I need ir, I’ll have the others pulled as needed and added to existing plate. Once and done!

Slowly recovering from colitis/allergy attack this weekend but still not 100%. About 75% back to normal.

This is getting long so see ya laters ladies!

RV Rita

My husband is the shopper too- I always say the same thing you do- I spend so much more when he is with me(which is almost every time- I rarely go anywhere by myself)
    And he doesn't pick healthy stuff at all.
    Debbie
    Napa Valley Ca
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    kevrit wrote: »
    Grocery delivery I might do it for standard items but not for meat and veggies unless it is frozen. Fresh items like lettuce and other greens I need to choose. Just my thing. DH loves grocery shopping but impulse buys a lot. Costs me too much when he goes with me.

Zoom believe it or not , I’ve never done a zoom meeting. I’ve done others when working like “Go To Meeting”. At home i use Face Time, or Messenger video. Just never tried Zoom.
    crowns I had one once to hold a bridge in but the root rotted and ended having to get it pulled and put on my bridge. Dentist saying most of my teeth have cracks in them from nighttime clenching and grinding but I won’t agree to it. First off too expensive, second; I already have a partial plate that I’ve had since I was 18 (the bridge didn’t last long enough for me to get another). Started with 2 teeth now have 6 on it so when I need ir, I’ll have the others pulled as needed and added to existing plate. Once and done!

Slowly recovering from colitis/allergy attack this weekend but still not 100%. About 75% back to normal.

This is getting long so see ya laters ladies!

RV Rita

My husband is the shopper too- I always say the same thing you do- I spend so much more when he is with me(which is almost every time- I rarely go anywhere by myself)
    And he doesn't pick healthy stuff at all.
    Debbie
    Napa Valley Ca

When husband and I go shopping we have list. I have estimated cost, and anything that he throws into the cart I ask him was price. No surprises!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    Teeth:

I have had issues with my teeth since my 30s.

When I was in my late teens, an over-enthusiastic dentist took a look at my molars and announced that they all had "deep grooves" which would likely develop issues and need fillings. So, despite the fact that they were all fine, he filled every one of them.

The fillings have stood the test of time!! They are rock solid. Unfortunately, my teeth have moved and shifted over time and when they did, they cracked because they weren't as solid as the fillings.

Also, I've been a long distance cyclist since my early 30s and I have a theory that when doing exercise like long distance cycling, we sweat out or use up calcium. It is, after all, one of the electrolytes. Because I am lactose intolerant, I haven't got much calcium from dairy products, and until about my mid-30s, I didn't take calcium supplements.

I also grind my teeth at night, have TMJ, and have ultra-long roots.

Anyway, my teeth have been crumbling for years and dentists do their best to try to shore them up.

The same tooth as the one I'm currently having difficulty with, but on the right side, is gone. It crumbled, was filled, crumbled, was filled, crumbled, had a botched root canal, was "fixed" but not well, and finally I had it pulled in the worst dental experience of my entire life. You know it's bad when the dental assistant breaks down into tears and has to leave the room!!

This tooth, with the new crown has gone through a similar process without the root canal (yet). It broke off at gum level so she had to build it up, and then when she installed the crown, she had to peel back my gums and slot it in. It didn't go particularly well.

However, it's OK. Not brilliant but OK, but then few of my teeth are in great shape so I'll leave it as it is. I'm trying to hang onto as many of my teeth as I can for as long as I can. I'm only in my early 50s ... I don't want to lose too many yet!

M in Oz