Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,868 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    So Hubby and I are traveling Thanksgiving weekend, but not for Thanksgiving. We need to squeeze in a trip to deal with all the construction repairs going on at our Florida Key condo which purchased a year and a half ago. Squeeze is to place it between Thanksgiving and Christmas. In each case, we wanted a quarantine period before the holiday so that the few people we might see are least at risk (ie out 2 adult children, SIL and grandson). Wondering if the timing is dumb. Will be traveling with every precaution we can take and utilizing the free Massachusetts Stop the Spread testing to assist as well.

I guess it depends a lot on your mode of travel. In an RV that you cook, sleep, and eliminate bodily waste in? Pretty much like starting home.

Driving, staying in hotels/motels, relying on food you packed or carryout, minimizing public restroom use, maximizing good hygiene practices? Low to moderate risk.

Flying? Here the problem is not just flying and the potential for idiots who take their masks off in-flight, but all the crowded lines and waiting areas you have to spend time in. I'm not ready to do that yet.

I get what you are saying. It's bit of a quandary.

edit: just saw your next post. Thanks for the well wishes. I do wish that for myself, but also I have no wish to spread it to someone else.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Well, son of a biscuit, dh just got a call back from his dr. and he tested positive. :( I think he was as surprised as I was. I'm hoping and praying the viral load he received during exposure was very little. So far, he's had a low grade fever 2 days, and a cough that hasn't been too bad. He started with symptoms last Tuesday night so keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't progress into anything worse.
    So now I'm waiting for a call from my dr. so I can schedule a test.

I think the worse news that dh got was he cannot return to work until after the 25th and he has to have 3 days of being symptom free. He's going completely nutso being home and being with me.

I'm hoping he gets better soon. I'm reading more about CBD Oil as a potential therapeutic agent for the lungs. I always have some here because of my wife's fibromyalgia, but there are several indications it can mitigate lung damage from Covid-19. Plus, it's cheap and readily available.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-10-cbd-lung-covid-peptide.html#:~:text=Synthetic agonists that increase apelin levels exist and,be a natural apelin agonist, the researchers say.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    So Hubby and I are traveling Thanksgiving weekend, but not for Thanksgiving. We need to squeeze in a trip to deal with all the construction repairs going on at our Florida Key condo which purchased a year and a half ago. Squeeze is to place it between Thanksgiving and Christmas. In each case, we wanted a quarantine period before the holiday so that the few people we might see are least at risk (ie out 2 adult children, SIL and grandson). Wondering if the timing is dumb. Will be traveling with every precaution we can take and utilizing the free Massachusetts Stop the Spread testing to assist as well.

The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is the heaviest travel day of the year, and I imagine that weekend is close second. It will probably be much less heavy this year, but still, if you could push it back a week that would probably have much less traffic.

Are you driving or flying? If flying, what carrier are you taking?

It will be flying, and if we push back then we cannot have 2 week quarantine before xmas upon our return, and unfortunately it is important we get down to examine the mess.

We are flying JetBlue, which still has the middle seats blocked out until January 9th. I am purchasing some "safety style" glasses and just purchased filter inserts to drop inside our double layer fabric masks. My sister, seattle doctor who is very concerned about COVID, actually feels that flying is not a concern because of all the precautions taken by the airlines combined with the plane's filtration system.

I saw on the news yesterday that airlines are predicting Thanksgiving week to be the most heavily traveled since March and thought of you :(

Living in MA now and having lived in FL I'm interested in hearing how people complied with mask usage in line at the airports in the different states.

I'm very sensitive to air quality and in the past have noticed a big improvement when in flight vs sitting on the tarmac and hope airlines have changed that practice these days to create more air flow when waiting to take off.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    So I'm watching Season 1 of "Counterpart" from 2017 and the PSA about mask wearing was really freaky to watch...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    OK, this was pretty interesting:

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/11/16/covid-19-immunocompromised-kids

All those folks trying to "boost their immune systems" to prevent severe Covid . . . might want to stop? (<= that sentence is a joke, folks. The report is not a joke, though it is somewhat preliminary/speculative.)

ETA: Audio's not posted there yet, will be soon. I needed to post this, before I forget: Apologies.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

All those folks trying to "boost their immune systems" to prevent severe Covid . . . might want to stop? (<= that sentence is a joke, folks. The report is not a joke, though it is somewhat preliminary/speculative.)

I guess it makes sense. If you're immunocompromised, presumably you're not going to have the cytokine storm immune response, so that's one serious problem off the table.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

ETA: Audio's not posted there yet, will be soon. I needed to post this, before I forget: Apologies.

Audio up now :)

For those who don't like long audio, it's only 5:49 minutes.