What do your meals look like (show me pictures)....

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    Homemade Chinese takeaway. Di San Xian and chicken with asparagus. Sticky rice.
    gdrahfvptv8u.jpg
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    One of the hardest things to deal with is the health of a parent, my mom is bordering on becoming diet and we're doing our research to prolong the effects but we are thinking about taking this.

https://bit.ly/3m5Z1Nt

Just advertising guys--don't bother.
  • snowflake954
    Basmati rice w sauce of black beans, tomato, EVOO, red pepper, black pepper, paprika, chopped onion and garlic, and a laurel leaf. This was really good.6dvfqhnmp137.jpg
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Ok, @acpgee, you piqued my interest. All it took was a mention of kid's comfort food.

Erm, I changed a few things, as I'm liable to always do: used garlic and leeks, roasted the tomatoes first, used shiritaki instead of rice and then added furikake.

Next attempt: this needs MORE tomatoes (and perhaps tomato paste), along with some chili pepper flakes for heat.

But it was so good and the mouth feel was interesting seeing as I'm not usually a fan of scrambled egg. I can see why it's a beloved dish. Thanks for sharing it earlier today!

iktbr1c74e3n.jpg

Back at it again for Attempt #2 (this time on toast for my breakfast)...

3 whole eggs
    4 tomatoes roasted to the high heavens
    2 cloves of local garlic
    chili pepper flakes
    sugar

The sugar (only 0.5 tsp) may have offset the salt?! It would have been bland if not for the heat of the chili pepper flakes.

Next attempt: go back to omitting sugar. Reduce to 2 eggs with 4 tomatoes (I think this may be the perfect ratio). Lay on a mound of seasoned black rice.

zhjo8ry1cb9a.jpg
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Hey!

Tried smelt for the first time. It was really good! Baked smelt w/almond flour, a side of tomato bisque dip and cilantro lingonberry vinaigrette. (The vinaigrette really made the crispy smelt pop.)

🐟

srgv4iqqbzdh.jpeg
  • snowflake954
    senalay788 wrote: »
    cpr9ortim24d.jpg

The famous protein cheesecake I presume?
  • acpgee
    Caribbean seafood boil is a takeaway that generates more cleanup than most. There are 10 huge prawns and a couple of potatos leftover for lunch tomorrow.
    0bbtu8wviw28.jpeg

• acpgee
    Ok, @acpgee, you piqued my interest. All it took was a mention of kid's comfort food.

Erm, I changed a few things, as I'm liable to always do: used garlic and leeks, roasted the tomatoes first, used shiritaki instead of rice and then added furikake.

Next attempt: this needs MORE tomatoes (and perhaps tomato paste), along with some chili pepper flakes for heat.

But it was so good and the mouth feel was interesting seeing as I'm not usually a fan of scrambled egg. I can see why it's a beloved dish. Thanks for sharing it earlier today!

iktbr1c74e3n.jpg

Back at it again for Attempt #2 (this time on toast for my breakfast)...

3 whole eggs
    4 tomatoes roasted to the high heavens
    2 cloves of local garlic
    chili pepper flakes
    sugar

The sugar (only 0.5 tsp) may have offset the salt?! It would have been bland if not for the heat of the chili pepper flakes.

Next attempt: go back to omitting sugar. Reduce to 2 eggs with 4 tomatoes (I think this may be the perfect ratio). Lay on a mound of seasoned black rice.

zhjo8ry1cb9a.jpg

The way my mom used to do this was to brown a large quantity of garlic, then stir in chopped fresh tomatoes (skin, seeds and all), a large pinch of sugar and soy to taste. Tomato would be cooked down for a while to a stew like consistency. Then she would turn down the temperature and stir in beaten eggs. Her version was essentially a sweet/sour/salty/garlicky tomato sauce thickened with egg to eat on noodles. Garnish with finely slivered green onions to add a fresh note.

Literally the first meal my single mom taught me to cook for myself at age 12 in case she didn't get home on time from work. Apparently popular with Chinese college students. I mean it is cheap, quick, balanced, and made with stuff people typically have in the store cupboard.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    *snip* The way my mom used to do this was to brown a large quantity of garlic, then stir in chopped fresh tomatoes (skin, seeds and all), a large pinch of sugar and soy to taste. Tomato would be cooked down for a while to a stew like consistency. Then she would turn down the temperature and stir in beaten eggs. Her version was essentially a sweet/sour/salty/garlicky tomato sauce thickened with egg to eat on noodles. Garnish with finely slivered green onions to add a fresh note.

Literally the first meal my single mom taught me to cook for myself at age 12 in case she didn't get home on time from work. Apparently popular with Chinese college students. I mean it is cheap, quick, balanced, and made with stuff people typically have in the store cupboard.

😋 Mmmk, scratch that: stewing the tomatoes then tempering in the egg may be Attempt #3 then!

And thank you for your mom's insights. I love meals with few ingredients that still manage to taste deluxe. This is that!
  • kcmcbee
    kcmcbee Posts: 177 Member
    cpr9ortim24d.jpg

OMG! How fantastic that looks! Congrats! Mine will be made for Christmas so we shall see.
  • acpgee
    Trying to create some space in the freezer. One of the gratin dauphinoise I made a few weekends ago with a lamb cutlet and greek salad.
    zktf22vuceq3.jpeg
  • acpgee
    Lunch was leftovers from last night's seafood boil.
    z1fdos55y1l8.jpeg
  • Safari_Gal_
    edited November 2020
    Putanesca.

ycf1objq30fp.jpg

☺️ My significant other from Rome 🇮🇹 calls puttanesca the “bad girl sauce” lol

Looks tasty!! 😋
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member
    wkk0q3rn2r78.jpeg
    8an4btji7pjv.jpeg

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dinner:
    Marinated, pan-seared venison backstrap
    Roasted brussles sprouts with butter/dijon/brown sugar sauce
    Classic mashed potatoes
    Gravy of red wine and venison stock
    Hawaiian rolls and butter

Dessert:
    Homemade Rice Krispy treats
    Gingerbread sandwich cookies from Trader Joes
  • snowflake954
    Putanesca.

ycf1objq30fp.jpg

Looks tasty!! 😋

Well--that's because "puttana" in Italian means "lady of the streets".
  • Safari_Gal_
    Putanesca.

ycf1objq30fp.jpg

Looks tasty!! 😋

Well--that's because "puttana" in Italian means "lady of the streets".

😉 si

• acpgee
    When I read the Sandro Petti story I remember "Facci una puttanata qualsiasi" being translated as "Throw together some crap". When he put it on the menu he didn't want to use crap=puttanata so used puttanesca instead. I would need an Italian speaker to tell me whether this could be correct.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Ahh puttanesca sauce. Perché questo nome? (Why this name?)

I had to consult with my mother in law - born and raised Roman - who was highly amused to be asked. Lol.

She doesn’t know of the correct origin - but the legend is that Puttanesca sauce has a great scent... And the etymology is “puttana” .... so you could smell the heavy cologne in the streets at night - ergo — this highly scented sauce.

Correct or no? I dunno... but that’s the word on the street.. (pun?? ☺️)

Re: 💩: puttanata - there is a phrase “non dire puttanate / don’t talk rubbish or BS”

I have also read the story from a chef in the 50s / whose friends came over and said “Facci una puttanata qualsiasi” (Make any kind of crap...)

Not sure if the correct origin will ever be agreed upon..

*But - I have to add - I hope everyone is using anchovies and capers in their puttanesca sauce or the crime is real... capisci?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Side note: it’s now been 10ish months since we have been back to Italy. The longest my spouse has been away since birth. My garden is overgrown and the house has been shuttered.
    I’ll have to get a big plate of Puttanesca upon return and take a photo as soon as we land. 🙌🏻