Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Good news for you Slimgirljo!!! Stay safe and get social :)

I have a question, these places with limited capacity, such as stores....I went to a store that had a sign up saying 'only 71 people allowed'. But how do they get that number and who counts them?? There is no one in there tapping patrons on the head going 'ok, you're # 59, cone on in'. So are the signs merely another governmental mandate that's being ignored like the no mask-no entry signs?

And another thing that makes no sense to me is we're not allowed to cross the state border 15 minutes away to shop in a different small town BUT we can travel 80 miles to shop in our state's biggest city where Covid has killed many. :( If I wanted to shop in that small town 15 minutes away, my dh would technically have to self-quarantine for 10-14 days.
    SMH

We have counters at the entry and exit of our stores...we are currently at 25% capacity or 75 people, whichever is smaller.

We also have a state wide mandate to quarantine if we travel out of state, but there's no way to really enforce that. My work also has that rule for either traveling out of state or having out of state visitors...I'm sure some people are doing it and just not telling anyone...but if we happen to get caught, there is disciplinary action up to and including termination.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I have a question, these places with limited capacity, such as stores....I went to a store that had a sign up saying 'only 71 people allowed'. But how do they get that number and who counts them?? There is no one in there tapping patrons on the head going 'ok, you're # 59, cone on in'. So are the signs merely another governmental mandate that's being ignored like the no mask-no entry signs?

And another thing that makes no sense to me is we're not allowed to cross the state border 15 minutes away to shop in a different small town BUT we can travel 80 miles to shop in our state's biggest city where Covid has killed many. :( If I wanted to shop in that small town 15 minutes away, my dh would technically have to self-quarantine for 10-14 days.
    SMH

Bigger stores here do have a person counting those coming in and out. Really small stores don't need that, since it's obvious (this is true for most of the little places in my neighborhood shopping district), and they often have their max numbers posted on the door. Some other places seem to have other means -- initially my local supermarket was trying to do it by requiring everyone to take a cart (and only one person per party), and having limited carts and someone handing them out and wiping off the handles, but this was a flop.

State borders aren't enforced from what I can see (not at all, and I don't think it's possible in the US), but if they were (and from the beginning) like in Australia, I think we'd be better off, so I don't consider that necessarily unreasonable as an idea. Your state has certain rules but if people come and go from states that are more lax (my state/area is near states that are more lax, which is part of why we have had a new spike where I am, IMO, even though we have the unenforceable quarantine rules), it does little good. It's true that in some cases traveling throughout a state can do the same thing, but it's even less possible to limit that (or require quarantine for going to another county). Some places outside of the US have recommended limiting travel to quite close around your house, but I don't think anywhere in the US has tried that (maybe NY?).

Yeah most states have literally hundreds of roads connecting with neighboring states. Impossible to patrol all of them.

Not only is it difficult or impossible to enforce because of logistics, but a legal argument can be made because the U.S. Constitution allows us to "travel unmolested amongst the several states" (something like that... I didn't look it up, just going from memory). How well that legal argument stands up in court, though, I can't opine.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

SMH

You are in NH, yes? Looks like visits to Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island are currently excluded from needing to quarantine.

https://www.covidguidance.nh.gov/out-state-visitors

I'm in Vt. But it's a requirement at my dh's place of employment. :( I usually do loads of shopping in N.H., for the holidays but dh told me if I went there, he'd have to quarantine for 2 weeks. IDK some of the rules boggle my mind while others I thoroughly agree with.
    Schools and some employers are asking students and workers if they spent Thanksgiving outside their home, with multi person gatherings, etc. If so, they're required to quarantine for 2 weeks and do remote learning.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

SMH

Bigger stores here do have a person counting those coming in and out. Really small stores don't need that, since it's obvious (this is true for most of the little places in my neighborhood shopping district), and they often have their max numbers posted on the door. Some other places seem to have other means -- initially my local supermarket was trying to do it by requiring everyone to take a cart (and only one person per party), and having limited carts and someone handing them out and wiping off the handles, but this was a flop.

State borders aren't enforced from what I can see (not at all, and I don't think it's possible in the US), but if they were (and from the beginning) like in Australia, I think we'd be better off, so I don't consider that necessarily unreasonable as an idea. Your state has certain rules but if people come and go from states that are more lax (my state/area is near states that are more lax, which is part of why we have had a new spike where I am, IMO, even though we have the unenforceable quarantine rules), it does little good. It's true that in some cases traveling throughout a state can do the same thing, but it's even less possible to limit that (or require quarantine for going to another county). Some places outside of the US have recommended limiting travel to quite close around your house, but I don't think anywhere in the US has tried that (maybe NY?).

Yeah most states have literally hundreds of roads connecting with neighboring states. Impossible to patrol all of them.

Not only is it difficult or impossible to enforce because of logistics, but a legal argument can be made because the U.S. Constitution allows us to "travel unmolested amongst the several states" (something like that... I didn't look it up, just going from memory). How well that legal argument stands up in court, though, I can't opine.

I also think that's an interesting question, two questions actually -- how much restriction of normal freedom (travel, gathering, masks) during a pandemic (1) makes sense, and (2) is lawful to enforce. The US does have martial law provisions that don't (?) have a precedent for a public health emergency, but you could argue a pandemic is an emergency. Also, is martial law military enforcement of existing civil law vs. enforcement of new temporary measures?

ETA: realized after posting that this could be deemed political. Didn't intend it this way -- pure public health for my part.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I just read that Scotland is going to start giving vaccines to priority groups from next week.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

SMH

You are in NH, yes? Looks like visits to Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island are currently excluded from needing to quarantine.

I'm in Vt. But it's a requirement at my dh's place of employment. :( I usually do loads of shopping in N.H., for the holidays but dh told me if I went there, he'd have to quarantine for 2 weeks. IDK some of the rules boggle my mind while others I thoroughly agree with.
    Schools and some employers are asking students and workers if they spent Thanksgiving outside their home, with multi person gatherings, etc. If so, they're required to quarantine for 2 weeks and do remote learning.

Ah, I see.

Can you do your holiday shopping online? That's been my preferred method for a really long time.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

SMH

I don't think any court has yet held that expecting people from specific areas to quarantine once they arrive in the state is a violation of the ability to "travel unmolested." Of course, that could change. But I don't think any states have actually barred anyone or even tried to do that.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

SMH

Ah, I see.

Can you do your holiday shopping online? That's been my preferred method for a really long time.

I've been trying to get onto the walmart site for 2 days; either my computer is messed up(although everything else seems to work fine?) or walmart's messed up. :( Personally, it's just shopping for 2 little girls that I want to do because we've cut way down with all our shopping for everybody else this year. I'll either come up with different ideas or break down and shop locally which has close to zero options. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options

SMH

The Constitution just says: "The citizens of each state shall be entitled to all privileges and immunities of citizens in the several states," although various cases have interpreted this to include a freedom of movement between states (and some have just found that to be an inherent right, which can be found from a combination of provisions/the 14th Amendment). I think an argument against a quarantine would be pretty tough, as people aren't being treated differently based on what state they reside in, but based on whether they've been to a place with an outbreak -- if I go to Indiana, I'm treated the same for quarantine purposes as someone from Indiana. But of course enforcing these is not being done and not really possible anyhow, at least not by the states. It's honor system.

I can't cite a specific instance ATM (I'm not as tuned in as you to the legal environment!), but it seems like in some of the court rulings I've been hearing about recently, the courts are slightly more willing to consider some (not all) freedom/rights limitations as being acceptable in the pandemic - things that would pretty clearly not be acceptable if there were no public health emergency.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    today I was on a call for work with a supplier and they mentioned delays due to Chinese New Year. My response was "I hope that CNY in 2021 is NOT LIKE the one in 2020 ......"

I don't know about everyone else but it seems like we have been waiting for CNY to end since March..... :#

This post feels like a meme to me. It's a meme without a picture...
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    They should have kept our Aussie boarders closed till we have the vaccine, that is my view. Just waiting for Covid to start here in Queensland now we opened up. It was so nice not having to worry about it too much but now almost all states can come it's only a matter of time to have it here I guess.

I kinda thought maybe with the sports events up there might be more cases pop up soon. Stay safe Sue.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    today I was on a call for work with a supplier and they mentioned delays due to Chinese New Year. My response was "I hope that CNY in 2021 is NOT LIKE the one in 2020 ......"

I don't know about everyone else but it seems like we have been waiting for CNY to end since March..... :#

HA! I'm sure the product development manager at my former work would agree with you...