Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    "I'm scared for my dad too.. and no matter the risk be it .0000001% from whatever I will be doing all I can to keep him safe."

You're dad is lucky you have him around Jo. I'm so far away from mine and I'm really not sure how careful they are being. I try to inform them how to be careful but they are not too worried and are going to go do their thing whatever I say on the phone. Pretty sure they are fairly careful just hard to know for sure if they listen :(

I hope they stay safe Sue. My dad was pretty blasè at first but takes it far more seriously now. He has a number of health problems that makes him higher risk.

This Victorian explosion of cases is such a worry, I'm wondering how many will flock into NSW before the border shuts between NSW and Victoria. Im so glad at least something is being done and borders shut. I do feel sorry for the Victorians though... poor buggers I hope they succeed in getting on top of this.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    "I'm scared for my dad too.. and no matter the risk be it .0000001% from whatever I will be doing all I can to keep him safe."

You're dad is lucky you have him around Jo. I'm so far away from mine and I'm really not sure how careful they are being. I try to inform them how to be careful but they are not too worried and are going to go do their thing whatever I say on the phone. Pretty sure they are fairly careful just hard to know for sure if they listen :(

I hope they stay safe Sue. My dad was pretty blasè at first but takes it far more seriously now. He has a number of health problems that makes him higher risk.

This Victorian explosion of cases is such a worry, I'm wondering how many will flock into NSW before the border shuts between NSW and Victoria. Im so glad at least something is being done and borders shut. I do feel sorry for the Victorians though... poor buggers I hope they succeed in getting on top of this.

This is all too hard really eh? Bunker down. Husband keeps saying we should trip on down to NSW to see the parents in our spring but I guess it's better to not think too far ahead for now. Gahhhh!
  • Hanibanani2020
    Hanibanani2020 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Borders close again tomorrow. Thankfully but hopefully not too late.

You probably should mention which boarders since people from all over the world are on here and won't know or remember perhaps where you are. New South Wales are closing boarders to Victoria in Australia :) Good it is for sure for the rest of the country. Not sure how safe it is to open up all other than Vic. to each other yet like NSW premier mentioned. Hope they take it slow and see what is the best way forward, too soon right now but maybe a few weeks we'll know better.
    I’ve mentioned a few times in this thread where I’m from already 😊. Horse-gate-bolted imho for borders closing.
  • CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Nick Cordero lost his battle yesterday. :( Before Covid I'd never heard his name. I've been following his struggles for the past couple months. His wife has been keeping the public updated through IG. Her support and love knew no bounds. This makes me sad. :(

Same. His wife had so much hope, I couldn't help but feel her optimism. It's heartbreaking.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Nick Cordero lost his battle yesterday. :( Before Covid I'd never heard his name. I've been following his struggles for the past couple months. His wife has been keeping the public updated through IG. Her support and love knew no bounds. This makes me sad. :(

What he went through was horrendous. Complication after complication. Covid is a dreadful thing. 😔
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/07/week-america-lost-control-pandemic/613831/

Nick Cordero's story should be a wake up call in the USA especially in light of the above article.

It is hard to understand why we have maxed out being even able to test for COVID-19 or free ICU beds just as we see the 2020 Pandemic impact the southern states coast to coast for the first time in these numbers.

Yes the USA has many wrongs that need to be righted but if we put them in front of meaningful addressing our COVID-19 runaway pandemic for two more months we are going to double wrong many people in the USA perhaps for the last time.

So many are trying to work in a vacation this month since it is the last chance before schools open next month.

Corona virus prep is more important today than since the beginning of this current 2020 pandemic. As the hurricane season normal peak is coming up in the August-Oct time window medical attention, food and housing may not happen for some in the southern states with run away positive COVID-19 cases today.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    It is hard to understand why we have maxed out being even able to test for COVID-19 or free ICU beds just as we see the 2020 Pandemic impact the southern states coast to coast for the first time in these numbers.

Yes the USA has many wrongs that need to be righted but if we put them in front of meaningful addressing our COVID-19 runaway pandemic for two more months we are going to double wrong many people in the USA perhaps for the last time.

I don't disagree that dealing with the pandemic is crucially important, but I'm not sure why it has -- in your view -- only become so now, vs. in months past.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    danae16 wrote: »
    My mom (64 with diabetes) and my dad (65 with COPD) contracted covid. My dad was able to recover on his own. My mom was sick for about a week and then got very bad. She went to the hospital and was immediately transfered to a large hospital by ambulance. At first she was on a high flow of oxygen, but eventually she was put on a ventilator. After about 6 days she was able to come off the ventilator and go back to oxygen support. She is still in the hospital after 2 weeks and will likely be in another week. She recieved all of the experimental treatments available and nearly lost her life. It has been incredibly hard to have her so sick and not be there. This is a horrible virus and I pray that more effective treatments or a vaccine is developed. The cost to the US in hospital bills will be enormous. My parents have insurance and will be ok.

For anyone interested, my dad went to a small bar/grill in a town of about 200. It is a farming area and I think that they thought they would be safer because it was so rural. One of the staff tested positive shortly after he and a friend had lunch. The staff did not wear masks. Both he and his friend came down with it and my mom got sick a few days later.

So sorry, and I hope your mom continues to recover and can be home soon.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Ran into a friend I hadn't seen for a couple months at the store. He said he was one month out from a heart attack and a stent put in. He said he was going to cardiac rehab. Asked me if I had been in out gym yet, he was planning on going back (I assume with his doctor's okay) and doing some spin classes.

It's tough to decided what is okay/an acceptable risk in this environment.

He’s so lucky he got into a hospital and got it taken care of. Wish him the best. Around here he may not have been admitted to a hospital.