Coronavirus prep

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Can someone please help me figure this out because I am very confused. I was tested on Nov. 16th, any symptoms I might've been having then were vague. My results came back the 19th as positive and I'd been feeling tired for a couple days. Aside from the tiredness, one of my glands was a little sore for a day but that was it. When the health dept. called they based the quarantine time on when my symptoms started(according to them they said the 18th but It was probably more like the 17th) and added 10 days onto that. So, technically am I safe going out tomorrow, the 28th or should I err on the side of caution and wait until Sunday? The problem is I've already promised someone I could be there for them tomorrow. :( I have felt fine for the past few days. To me, the fact that I feel absolutely fine and the onset f my symptoms were vague to begin with, plus they're even thinking or decreasing the amount of quarantine time.....dh says no, I say I'm fine. :( And the person I promised to be there for really needs me. :(
    So, what say you everybody?? I feel I've done my time and will still play by the rules, being even more vigilant if that's possible.

Yes, go. Wear your mask, wash your hands, and continue to practice social/physical distancing.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    I remember when this thread was toilet paper and eating cat food 😂😜

And I still can't understand the toilet paper issue. Was never a problem where I live.

People were just buying up all the TP as soon as it got to stores, so many of us never could find any because others bought it before we had a chance.

Fortunately, I have a ton of leftovwr turkey because I got an almost 20 lb. turkey for Thanksgiving and live alone. Granted, I don't eat plants, but this is several days worth of food by itself.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,854 Member

And I still can't understand the toilet paper issue. Was never a problem where I live.

People were just buying up all the TP as soon as it got to stores, so many of us never could find any because others bought it before we had a chance.

Fortunately, I have a ton of leftovwr turkey because I got an almost 20 lb. turkey for Thanksgiving and live alone. Granted, I don't eat plants, but this is several days worth of food by itself.

Stop and Shop actually had a normal SALE on toilet paper this week starting today. A miracle to not have to pay $15 for a package of TP. Were allowed to buy 2 - 12 packs. Did not need 2, but I bought them. If my family needs TP, I will happily share with them. :)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Some nationwide Black Friday news, which I found encouraging:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/27/black-friday-2020-traffic-looks-bleak-at-stores-malls.html

Black Friday 2020 looks bleak at stores, malls, as shoppers stick to couch surfing during the pandemic

Hope the delivery guys wear masks and are well protected when they take these online purchases to the houses.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member

While TP is still on the shelves at our Walmart currently this past summer it was overflowing and we restocked well so we'll be fine since we just replace as we use it.

As a kid in the 50's I remember dad going to town in the old Pickup and load it up with can goods, sugar, flour, 25 pound tin of hog lard and TP for the winter. Still today we only buy mainly 24-48 roll packs.

I think the mindset in rural America is still impacted by Great Depression and 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic because we heard those stories from our parents and grandparents. We don't hoard but we do stock up for potential hard times.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    At a Costco in a major city today. 1 pack limit on toilet paper.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    I'm at the laundromat and am the only person here in compliance with the county mask mandate. To be fair, half the people here can't figure out how to wear pants. Maybe masks are truly too much to ask.

Sounds like Tennessee alright! :joy:
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    baconslave wrote: »

While TP is still on the shelves at our Walmart currently this past summer it was overflowing and we restocked well so we'll be fine since we just replace as we use it.

As a kid in the 50's I remember dad going to town in the old Pickup and load it up with can goods, sugar, flour, 25 pound tin of hog lard and TP for the winter. Still today we only buy mainly 24-48 roll packs.

I think the mindset in rural America is still impacted by Great Depression and 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic because we heard those stories from our parents and grandparents. We don't hoard but we do stock up for potential hard times.

This is a good point. My grandparents were depression-era kids and they keep and hoard absolutely everything from magazines to plastic containers (and glass, of course). In fact, I have seen them rinse and re-use paper cups from fast food for days on end. My grandpa died in April and my grandma is in a nursing home now. I've not been in the house they lived in for decades, but I don't think either of them have been there for a long time either. It's in such poor condition, in part due to their hoarding, that it hasn't been livable for years. As they got old and couldn't climb over all their stuff, they became more and more restricted about what part of the house they could even go to. I know they haven't gone upstairs for years... and it is probably a good thing because last time I was there (2011), there was so much stuff in the 2nd floor that the ceiling on the main floor was visibly bowing.

Of course, not everyone in their generation is at that level of hoarding. Nonetheless, there is definitely a habit within older American generations to obtain items that could be useful and keep anything that might have some purpose at some point.

Can confirm. My grandmother was an Oakie who traveled from Oklahoma to Cali during the Depression and ended up helping pick strawberries in fields to help support her family. Her pantries were always full to bursting and her garage was full. She hoarded everything and even though Grandfather ended up doing well financially, they even hoarded their wealth and lived thriftily day-to-day.

Similarly, Hubby and I grew up poor in Appalachia. As soon as we clawed our way into middle class, Hubs learned the lessons of his Depression era grandparents, whom he was close to, and his experience being below the poverty level and began to systematically build up a nice stockpile and freezer and kept it up over the years. We were sitting very well during the TP and the food shortages in the spring. Not always what we wanted to eat (especially for me since I'm lowish carb), but good wholesome stuff to keep growing kids healthy and obnoxious.

I do think the stories and mindset have been passed down for sure. Every time there's a snow forecast, everybody goes bonkers! :unamused: It's really not that much snow, people. Buying up all the bread and milk and such....Lord!

There's something else at play here too though. Unfortunately for rural folk, so many of us are still struggling and living paycheck to paycheck so they can't afford to build up a pantry, and they were having to do without often. We already had a bustling food bank for this population in the Before Times. There are summer food delivery programs to fed a lot of kids when they weren't getting food from school. There's even an on-going charity that sends kids home care-packages of food for the weekends. Food insecurity is a huge issue here and has been. Then the exact people who didn't need to be losing their work got hit by the shutdown. I think that's a legit reason to feel quite a bit of panic for some folk when they already were barely making it.

Not just rural folks. There is food insecurity in the cities too. And panic buying as a result.

Right! The convo may have been about us rural weirdos, but this is def a huge "All-American" issue everywhere.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    This seemed like a good pretty-short summary of what we know about Covid immunity, reinfection, whether immunity lasts, whether vaccine immunity and post-disease immunity behave in the same way - lots of questions I've seen along the way in this thread. (Twelve minutes of audio, or there's a transcript.)

https://www.sciencefriday.com/segments/covid-reinfection/