Coronavirus prep

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited July 2020
    I had a 20 year old educate me on the COVID-19 parties last week. It seems they put money in a pool and the first one that tests positive wins the money in the pool. Ethically a researcher could not do that so this group is giving some feed back to COVID-19 ad hoc research. Yesterday we had to drive 50 miles to the Lowe's in Paducah KY to get two identical full height pantry kitchen cabinets and face mask usage was very high especially in the 60+ age group. Yesterday I read based on known testing results it is estimated there are 100,000 new cases daily currently in the USA so that is a million more new cases every 10 days.

The mental health side of COVID-19 may long term be worse the actually getting the disease. I see Columbus had his head removed and tossed into the harbor in Boston.

https://msn.com/en-us/news/us/masks-are-putting-people-at-each-others-throats-especially-in-palm-beach-county/ar-BB16jsXh

Some this mask no mask logic is over the top in my view. I made sure I had a mask to go out of town yesterday but when I put it own I found make-up inside of it but others could not see the make-up.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    meanwhile in the US I shudder as I see all the facebook posts of big family get togethers for the holiday..... just scrolling right by but it's hard to see. :(

Yes, the gatherings this weekend are going to result in more cases for sure. Where I live, most of the normal fireworks shows were cancelled. But then the county rescue squad decided to have a fireworks display for the first time since nobody else was doing one. They just suggested social distancing - didn't even mention a mask. I almost wonder if they are trying to get themselves more business.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited July 2020
    I just went to 7-11 to get tea. Only me, one clerk at the cash register with mask on, one clerk with no mask, no gloves, wiping counters beside the tea, in the store.
    The clerk wiping counters was talking on her phone. She said something like, “I don’t have a temperature and I don’t feel sick at all. And I’m not around her much at all. I was over there for a while yesterday.”
    That’s all I heard as I was backing away from her and getting the h—- out of there.
    At 7-11.
    How many customers during her shift?

How many were more than 15 minutes of exposure? The CDC says brief exposure is unlikely to cause transmission. Their criteria for risk/testing is 15 minutes.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/public-health-recommendations.html
    Data are insufficient to precisely define the duration of time that constitutes a prolonged exposure. Recommendations vary on the length of time of exposure, but 15 minutes of close exposure can be used as an operational definition. Brief interactions are less likely to result in transmission; however, symptoms and the type of interaction (e.g., did the infected person cough directly into the face of the exposed individual) remain important.

So an asymptomatic person with 30 seconds to 2 minutes of contact 4+ feet away (across the counter) is not putting anyone at extreme risk. If she didn't cough, sneeze, or talk to them (just wiped down the counter breathing) I wouldn't worry at all.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html

Just want to remind you, this says "Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks." - Not breathes. To follow up on my posts from before.

Asymptomatic spread is RARE. From the WHO (not an official position, but a quote that was followed up on with support)

https://time.com/5850256/who-asymptomatic-spread/

There is a lot of fear about this virus. There is a lot of overreaction. I'm getting my links from the CDC and the WHO, who in my opinion are being abundantly cautious.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I just went to 7-11 to get tea. Only me, one clerk at the cash register with mask on, one clerk with no mask, no gloves, wiping counters beside the tea, in the store.
    The clerk wiping counters was talking on her phone. She said something like, “I don’t have a temperature and I don’t feel sick at all. And I’m not around her much at all. I was over there for a while yesterday.”
    That’s all I heard as I was backing away from her and getting the h—- out of there.
    At 7-11.
    How many customers during her shift?

How many were more than 15 minutes of exposure? The CDC says brief exposure is unlikely to cause transmission. Their criteria for risk/testing is 15 minutes.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/php/public-health-recommendations.html
    Data are insufficient to precisely define the duration of time that constitutes a prolonged exposure. Recommendations vary on the length of time of exposure, but 15 minutes of close exposure can be used as an operational definition. Brief interactions are less likely to result in transmission; however, symptoms and the type of interaction (e.g., did the infected person cough directly into the face of the exposed individual) remain important.

So an asymptomatic person with 30 seconds to 2 minutes of contact 4+ feet away (across the counter) is not putting anyone at extreme risk. If she didn't cough, sneeze, or talk to them (just wiped down the counter breathing) I wouldn't worry at all.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/how-covid-spreads.html

Just want to remind you, this says "Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks." - Not breathes. To follow up on my posts from before.

Asymptomatic spread is RARE. From the WHO (not an official position, but a quote that was followed up on with support)

https://time.com/5850256/who-asymptomatic-spread/

There is a lot of fear about this virus. There is a lot of overreaction. I'm getting my links from the CDC and the WHO, who in my opinion are being abundantly cautious.

The Time article linked does not support the position you are trying to claim it does; in fact, the point of the article is the opposite, while explaining how the misconception that asymptomatic spread is rare got started. In fact multiple studies have suggested that people are most infectious a day or two before they develop symptoms.

It is also untrue that breathing does not spread the virus. There are multiple documented super-spreader cases of spread through breath, most notably in exercise classes.

And the very quote you just gave does not say that it requires 15 minutes. It says that shorter exposures are less likely than long ones to result in transmission. It doesn’t say that it doesn’t happen, that it happens rarely, or anything else, just that it’s less likely to get an infectious dose with a short exposure than a long one.

How did this happen? Are you not reading your own sources?

Okay, first - breathing during exercise classes is not the same as breathing while standing or walking. Fight me on that.

So "less likely" that the CDC doesn't think it's worth testing if you've been exposed less than 15 minutes.

From the first linked study: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S235208172030057X?via=ihub
    sneezing, loud conversation and heavy breathing

This study says POSSIBLY, and WE DON'T know - this just shows breathing spreads droplets, not whether or not it spreads covid. We don't know if covid spreads in those microdroplets or not. So it just shows that breathing (while talking or HEAVY breathing, not regular, standing there breathing) releases microdroplets - not COVID.

I still say this doesn't support me simply existing and breathing puts people at risk.

The TIMES article said the WHO took one position and Scripps Research published a completely different estimate. I don't think the article proved either one was correct.

This just shows that different researchers can come to completely opposite conclusions, not that one is right and the other isn't.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Coronavirus Is Airborne, Say Scientists, Ask WHO To Revise Rules: Report
    https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/coronavirus-is-airborne-say-scientists-ask-world-health-organisation-to-revise-rules-report-2257626
    In an open letter to the agency, which the researchers plan to publish in a scientific journal next week, 239 scientists in 32 countries are outlined the evidence showing smaller particles can infect people, the NYT said.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,194 MFP Moderator
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Saw a fisrt today. Woman gets out of her car at Walmart opens the trunk gets a full coverage motorcycle helmet complete with full face shield out puts it on her head and walks in.

I've seen folks wearing full plastic face-masks to shop... and my husband has threatened to wear his welding mask... But I hadn't yet seen someone shopping in a motorcycle helmet.