Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    I saw that too @MikePfirrman
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I wanted to come on and wish everyone (at least in the US) a Happy Thanksgiving.

Please be understanding. I likened this whole thing, early on, to the stages of grief. Many emotionally aren't capable of getting beyond shock, denial and anger (the first 3 stages of Grief). Most on here are already to Acceptance (the final stage). This sucks for everyone. Some much more than others.

Two bits of bad news today in terms of the fighting Coronavirus. One was AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine. Some of their protocol coming out are extremely concerning and going to come under a lot more scrutiny. The other one was SCOTUS ruling in a 5-4 decision that NY State could not limit the number of people gathering in churches. Working mostly in NYC as a consultant, I can tell you that this is seriously contentious in NYC. The orthodox Jewish community there has been gathering in church, maskless, with as many as 7K people under one roof -- all signing and such. Just a superspreader event on steroids. Culturally, they aren't going to follow guidelines. NY State tried to limit the spread and make that type of activity illegal. SCOTUS shut that down and said that's not within states' rights, which I'm having a real hard time understanding. These are the types of decisions (more by the community in NYC) that are just mind blowing to me.

Oh, and Phoenix (I'm in Tucson) is hosting a gigantic soccer tourny with 500 teams. I was a soccer parent for 15 years. I get how important that is for kids. But it's also HUGE money to local economies. This is more about the coaches, directors (who get paid up to six figures) and local communities to get a huge influx of needed cash. But it's also one of those things you say, well, this isn't going to go well.

This is so sad to me. God is everywhere isn't he? Well he is to me so I can't understand the maskless spreading of this with large numbers of people involved. I wish they'd stop. I'm busting to go to Israel. Guess it's the same there as NY??? I hope not.
  • mockchoc
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Just turned on the TV and the NY Macy's Thanksgiving day parade is on. Only saw one float before going to ad and writing this. But, for that float with handlers walking shoulder to shoulder and only a few feet apart, no one had on a mask. How is this permitted? Don't say testing, because in any other situation, testing would not be deemed adaquate. So tired of the do as I say........

No different to the Christmas tree delivery to you know where. Masks off. Pics are UBER important more than lives apparently. Got to get in the fake smiles.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Disagree with me all you want, still does not change the fact that well over 10000 deaths were elders and only about 170 are general population. I have proved my claim.

ds6anxk89sy6.png

You have argued for arguments sake with anectdotal stories, not facts. Weak.

In many hospitals it it the protocols making the staff work harder not the actual illness.

My stats are confirmed by health Canada. Wondering where are you are getting your info from?

Its not conspiracy theorist, all those are no longer theories. It's now BS analyzer. And you are eating it up.. There is something wrong and if you don't see it... I wish you good luck!

I'm sorry, I must have missed your link proving that hospitals are empty. Interesting that policies have us working so hard when we have no patients. :frowning:

I guess all your patients are imaginary---there's a conspiracy....shhh..... We are in it too, here in Italy they're begging doctors that are retired to come back and help out with all the imaginary patients. Very few have answered the call, you see, so many of our medical staff are dead (pictures of them were posted, it took pages of the newspaper). I don't know why retired docs would refuse to go and get paid for doing nothing at a hospital that's empty? Makes you wonder.

Oh.. massive hugs. This is just so terrible honestly. How the F can't people see it's real??? Guess when they get it or lose family they'll notice. This is no joke.

That’s exactly what happened with my husband’s boss. His athlete college son and his roommate got it. His mother in law and, his wife’s mother got it. Now he believes. So darn sad. There’ll be a lot of folks joining the believers after Thanksgiving 🥲

Very sad people that won't listen have to learn the hard way. I just can't even imagine how it'll be after thanksgiving. Please people think twice about what you are doing to spread it. Doesn't take much.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    The other one was SCOTUS ruling in a 5-4 decision that NY State could not limit the number of people gathering in churches.

Just to clarify a bit, this blocks the NY executive order temporarily, as the case works its way up to the 2nd Cir and likely the SC again. And the issue is lack of neutrality: "The court explained that Cuomo’s order does not appear to be neutral, but instead “singles out houses of worship for especially harsh treatment.” For example, although a synagogue or a church in a red zone is limited to 10 people at a service, there are no limits on how many people a nearby “essential” business – which can include acupuncture or a camp ground – can admit."

It also suggests less restrictive rules, like a number based on the size of the church/synagogue building, would be okay.

That means the issues with the EO from the SC's perspective seem to be fixable, if Cuomo wants to fix it.

Good analysis, from which I took the quote: https://www.scotusblog.com/2020/11/justices-lift-new-yorks-covid-related-attendance-limits-on-worship-services/#more-297905

That is good to know. Perhaps he could come up with guidelines for capacity limits based on building size and setup. Or just keep it simple and require masks and 6 ft. of distance for those not in the same household. Then each house of worship would need to figure out how to space seating appropriately to comply.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    edited November 2020
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Just turned on the TV and the NY Macy's Thanksgiving day parade is on. Only saw one float before going to ad and writing this. But, for that float with handlers walking shoulder to shoulder and only a few feet apart, no one had on a mask. How is this permitted? Don't say testing, because in any other situation, testing would not be deemed adaquate. So tired of the do as I say........

From what I understand... there are no handlers this year... all the floats are being driven by one person in a car. No one is there in a crowd at all.

ETA- https://www.macys.com/social/parade/