Coronavirus prep

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    edited November 2020
    kushiel1 wrote: »
    I literally had someone on Facebook tell me that I'm the reason that we have to have these restrictions and that I'm selfish and generally terrible for suggesting that I'm not going to let fear of Covid change my Thanksgiving plans. Even when told about my sister he still doubled down insisting that the only acceptable way of celebrating is to not do so. This was a person I know in "real life" and had considered a friend for 2 decades now...the judgment is just mindboggling to me and I don't really understand why in general we can't just practice a little love and tolerance for each other.

I will also add that even just limiting to "immediate" family we are not a small group. My younger sister who lives out of town was supposed to come in (as she'd like to spend as much time as possible with our older sister as possible just in case) but my grandmother who lives with her hasn't been feeling well lately and doesn't want to drive 8 hours here and then 8 hours back on such a tight turn around. Hopefully they will be able to come for Christmas as the timeframe can be a little longer. But even without that group of 5 we are still 10+ people. I've never really understood the thought that 9 people would be ok but 11 would not. We should just ask people to use their best judgment and hope for the best, while keeping in mind that we are never guaranteed tomorrow.
    I feel like this post is a little ingenuous.

Your friend might be more sympathetic towards your desire to balance enriching your sister’s remaining time with keeping everyone safe from Covid if you didn’t have a lengthy history of publicly minimizing the seriousness of Covid and belittling attempts to protect people from it.

I also strongly disagree that “hoping for the best” is a good approach in this situation, when there are significant safeguards you can put into place to protect yourselves and others who might encounter your family on their travels. We are never guaranteed tomorrow, but that doesn’t mean people shouldn’t look both ways before crossing a busy street.

Going back to the comment about the Facebook conversation (and taking the report as literal/face value), it seems like people could be making somewhat more nuanced responses, rather than leading with (in effect) "you're irresponsible and doing it wrong".

Maybe it's just me (and that's fine), but in PP's scenario with a relatively late-stage relative . . . well, that's relevant, IMO. I'm wondering if things could've played out differently if the person who told her on FB that she was making a bad call had said something more like "that would really feel risky to me, so I'm wondering what your thought process is" vs. just insisting on isolated holidays as an absolute. I really think people behave differently on social media, relying on their assumptions/interpretations and responding on the assumption that those are TrueTrueTRUE, when in person things tend to be a little softer.
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    If we can't get back to "life as usual" then what is the point of taking the vaccine? A vaccine that can have serious side effects at that. There's going to be a TON of pushback on this if true...I mean that's not what's been being told to us here in the US, until very recently, and there's going to be many who refuse to do so if we can't leave the masks and social distancing behind.

OMG!! I am not going to even respond or comment to that statement because I would be quarantined by MFP for a very long time. But if you have to ask that question, you really need to learn more about COVID-19. Happy Thanksgiving.

If you feel strongly about the vaccine then great! Take it! But we've been being told that a vaccine is our way back to normal and now the bar is being shifted again. If taking the vaccine means that we can leave the Covid restrictions behind that's awesome, but if not then yes there's going to be an issue with convincing the general public that they should take it - especially if it results in serious side effects.

I know plenty about Covid, my brother had it back in April and I work in the health field. I get Covid can be really bad for some people (though it's totally not a big deal for others, just like most diseases). How exactly do we convince people to take a vaccine that will give them side effects and not result in being able to get back to our "normal" lives? In that case we should just continue on as we have been...or at least that's how many will see it.

May just may be me, but the question in my mind is "how/does the vaccine materially improve the situation, at a reasonable cost/risk"? Holding it to a standard that says "it's not worth it if it doesn't return us to 'normal'" (whatever the heck 'normal' is) seems very black and white, and extreme.

That's a reasonable way to see it, but I guess the question is...how does it materially improve the situation? If I take it, get side effects and then still have to socially distance and wear a mask I don't see an improvement. Maybe there is some that I'm not seeing as of yet, but let's face it - in general here in the US this has become a really hot topic and people on both sides of the restrictions are pretty entrenched on what they think. And with the new info coming out about a vaccine that we are supposed to get that doesn't deliver what we were promised (a return to normalcy) and tempers are sure to flare on both sides.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited November 2020
    Back to shopping, I've had no issues getting paper products, but 2 stores in a row failed to have butternut squash. These were both delivery, so I wondered if the shopper just didn't find it, but perhaps there is a Thanksgiving-related run on it. I got kabocha as a substitute from the second place, so that's just as good for my purposes anyway.