Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Went to Costco yesterday... NYC. No paper towels or baby wipes. Plenty of toilet paper. Out of pecans but I suspect that's for the holidays. I had to get Praline pecans as a substitute.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2020
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kushiel1 wrote: »
    I literally had someone on Facebook tell me that I'm the reason that we have to have these restrictions and that I'm selfish and generally terrible for suggesting that I'm not going to let fear of Covid change my Thanksgiving plans. Even when told about my sister he still doubled down insisting that the only acceptable way of celebrating is to not do so. This was a person I know in "real life" and had considered a friend for 2 decades now...the judgment is just mindboggling to me and I don't really understand why in general we can't just practice a little love and tolerance for each other.

I will also add that even just limiting to "immediate" family we are not a small group. My younger sister who lives out of town was supposed to come in (as she'd like to spend as much time as possible with our older sister as possible just in case) but my grandmother who lives with her hasn't been feeling well lately and doesn't want to drive 8 hours here and then 8 hours back on such a tight turn around. Hopefully they will be able to come for Christmas as the timeframe can be a little longer. But even without that group of 5 we are still 10+ people. I've never really understood the thought that 9 people would be ok but 11 would not. We should just ask people to use their best judgment and hope for the best, while keeping in mind that we are never guaranteed tomorrow.

That's terrible, the thing you report on Facebook. It's so easy for people to react in a kneejerk way on FB (or the like), in ways they might not in person, and it's hurtful. Every situation is different, and extreme reactions (especially when people don't know the nuances) are not a good reflex.

I don't do FB (I have a profile that hasn't been updated in years and almost never go on), but from what people I know have reported, the judgment comes from all sides and it's generally terrible, not specifically about covid, but covid is not helping. A friend has a close relative who is super anti-mask conspiracy theory and constantly judging others for being (as someone else noted) weak or "sheeple" to the point she sees him differently than she did before and had to mute it. I know many others who report similar stuff.

My own experience with this has been NextDoor, although currently I read it only for coyote and deer sighting posts and photos (I live in a city, and although we've always had coyotes they've taken over the site like crazy lately; the deer pretty much live in cemeteries). Ever since March, however, it's been endless fights and judgy-ness (on both sides) about masks to the extent that it was making me upset and paranoid. (I am pro mask, but I also find it difficult to run in a mask and tend to choose times when few are out and I can easily social distance, and I do actively change direction, cross the street, move into the street as needed, but apparently some have had such bad experiences with runners not doing that that they are inclined to judge all, or to proclaim such things are not sufficient. I still think the anti maskers and those being incredibly irresponsible (as with the huge house parties) are worse -- and yes, now I'm judging too -- but I get the feeling that one is being judged no matter what and that some are enjoying that, even.)

For whatever reason, NextDoor asked me to be a moderator locally. I have no idea why. I'm not particularly cool headed or reasonable at times. I have pleaded with people to be nicer. Not working. They are at each others throats. For every two level headed people, there are two extremes. Sad really.

One lady this morning was calling out a particular clerk at the local Post Office. I'm thinking, do we really need to do that?? Yes, someone at the post office should be wearing a mask, but to call them out on NextDoor by name? And when someone points out that NextDoor is about neighbors and after all the division we are still all neighbors, heaven forbid. Then the thread deteriorates to the extreme. I'm trying to figure out how not to be a moderator any longer.

NextDoor is toxic. A couple of years ago, I signed up to find the owner of a lost dog that wandered into my yard. It worked perfectly and the owner was located in just a couple of hours. I thought wow this is great! I can really keep up with what's going on around here.

Sadly, over time I noticed civility breaking down. It got so bad that I started having not so nice feelings about my neighbors and neighborhood. So I quit the site well over a year ago.

I can only imagine how crazed it's gotten on NextDoor with the election and Covid going on. I don't even want to know. I prefer to think the best of the people around me. I don't need to see their dark sides. Especially now.

IMO, that site is more harmful to communities than it is helpful.

I know, I mostly stay off of it, but I advertise on it. I have a side business of being a solar broker. That's the main reason (I suspect) they asked me to be a moderator. And I'm likely less opinionated and more PC on there than on here, at times. I sometimes get a kick out of it. There's one moderator -- if you've ever seen the one Geico commercial, "I see you've met Cynthia" with the overzealous HOA committee lady -- I think I've met her. She flags like 10 things a day. I just picture her combing through the threads looking for anything to try to flag. Then the rest of us have to vote on whether to remove. I read these flags and I'm like, "she flagged that???".
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    kushiel1 wrote: »
    If we can't get back to "life as usual" then what is the point of taking the vaccine? A vaccine that can have serious side effects at that. There's going to be a TON of pushback on this if true...I mean that's not what's been being told to us here in the US, until very recently, and there's going to be many who refuse to do so if we can't leave the masks and social distancing behind.

The "point" would be that an effective vaccine would result in fewer people dying, which seems like a great outcome even if we do have to wear a mask in some situations.

But we already have far fewer people dying without a vaccine. They have learned to treat it, what to do and what not to do and several medicines have been shown to help already. Overall the death toll was pretty low - wasn't it .03%? And now fewer people are dying, fewer vents are being utilized (at 1 of the large hospital chains in my state current vent usage is 37% and that's for everyone, not just Covid patients), and there are overall better outcomes. If life will stay the same whether we get the vaccine or not I think you'll find it hard to convince the majority to get a vaccine, especially one where we can't know it's long term effects and that gives side effects but doesn't result in a return to normal (which is what has been being sold to the average American, that we need a vaccine to get back to normal).
  • ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    With the vaccination distribution priorities in the EU I think Covid 19 disease won’t be enough of a problem for me to bother about by the time I’m in line for it. 😄
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    Mask wearing is uncomfortable at best for the majority of people - how people who have to wear one all the time because they work outside the house do it I have no idea - especially those who have physical jobs. We do it, but I doubt anyone loves it or really wants to continue to do so indefinitely. Not to mention that it's not just mask wearing that we will have to continue to do - it's social distance as well. Apparently social distancing isn't going to go anywhere for awhile as well. Let's look at this holiday season - we are being told to social distance and avoid large crowds (though I don't personally see 10+ as a crowd that's the limit in alot of places, 25 in others, and it can vary) so that we can gather next year. Except no one is pointing out that if in a year we are STILL social distancing then we can hardly gather for those weddings, festivals, birthdays, graduations, funerals, and holidays that we are supposed to be skipping for the greater good can we? If a vaccine isn't the go back to life as usual that it was sold as in the first place (there certainly has not been any talk about having to maintain masks and social distancing after a vaccine until this week here in the US or at least the state I'm in) then yes people won't want to get it. You can hate that all you want, but for a large percentage of the population the constantly changing recommendations and restrictions coupled with the fact that this is a disease with a VERY high survival rate have made this an issue with a large divide between the sides.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Hubby just texted me about how he snagged the last bag of pecans at the local grocery store! Thanksgiving is saved! :laugh: Sometimes it's the little things that help get through so much tough.

When I want pecans, nothing else will do. I'm glad he could save the holiday!