WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Started on the puzzle for Pete and Denise for next year.

We’re going to make the pierogi today. Vince promised. He’s just glad that Jess is here (child labor…lol). She and Colby came last night Update: we didn't get to it. Spent most of the day outside decorating.

Barbara – love your compromise. Joe’s comment is something I’d hear from Vince.

Allie – it’s a good thing that nurse was there! Then again, you’re monitored constantly but still…..

Ginny – I WISH that hook was in a couch. I know the last time I had it was in my “table topper” pouch (where I keep all the required items like the awl, the small crochet hook, the regular hook, etc) when we went to Iowa. Well, the way I’m going to look at is that someone will find it and they need it more than I do. But it still hurts.

Will not make the cookies just yet because I’m afraid that I’ll eat them. Update: I just realized that it's 2 weeks before we have Christmas. Better get started.

We’re putting out Christmas decorations. Got the ferris wheel, the bumper car, swing up, some lights. Inside right now for lunch then Vince thinks we’ll start on the extension cords

Talked to Denise today. PJ had his pictures at the daycare taken and she was excited about them since she really likes them. I asked her if she’d gotten the presents, but the rocking horse and dancing Elmo haven’t arrived yet and the paint is in her mailbox. At first she was concerned when I said “paint” but they she was really happy that it was bathtub paint. Well, better go outside now.

Oh, she wants us to buy her a new computer. Vince told her that he thinks that’s something she’d want Pete to get her (really, we don’t feel we should get her one). She wants Vince to since he’s the “techie” one. Really, the last time we got her a computer, all she said was “it’s pink”. No “thank you”. To me, if the people at work who supposedly said “are you sure you want to go that distance with such a young baby” convinced her not to come here last year, let them buy her a new computer. I know that’s mean of me, but I can’t help it. I wouldn’t say that to her, but that’s my feeling

RV Rita – I didn’t know there was a self-test for a UTI!

Allie - (((BIG HUG)))

Rori – oh, please don’t tell me that it’s taking a long time for your foot to heal. I just don’t have (or want to have) that kind of time…. How I wish I could give you a real extra big hug. But a cyber one will have to do. You are one in a million

Jess and Colby helped put the popcorn on the main tree tonight. Vince decorated the top. I just can’t go up and down the ladder. I admit, after a while I do get tired. Probably from lifting the foot with this stupid boot on. I can’t wait for it to come off.

Michele NC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    I can no longer edit in my phone and the pictures came in different order than I selected.

Sorry folks
    Tracey
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Lisa - I need the bright light too. We have lots of Windows and natural light but it gets dark so early here in Winter.

Tracey in Edmonton

I'm a 'light' person too. In our current house we've got 4 huge windows in the front room ... like this.

bfnlluwjhdzt.png

I look at other houses from time to time, but unless they've got something similar, I'm not interested. I don't like the house feeling dark and closed in.

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We have our outdoor lights set up & have the living room almost done. I plan to start bringing in our Christmas tree tomorrow or the next day. It will spend a day or so in the garage getting used to the warmer inside temperature before it is brought inside. I can hardly wait to decorate it. 🎄
  • charsuzy
    charsuzy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, livestream church,16 mins Leslie Sansome fast.
    Bonus: chocolate and spice rum balls, meeting reminder email, follow up text to B
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call CD, call R, email info to grantwriter, watch STAS Day 18 (go sniff), submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Monday: call auto body shop, plumber.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments.
    Do Good December
    6: Support a charity, cause or campaign you really care about: donate to KHSU and KCIW.

Lisa “more of an optimist… thinks things will just fix themselves…” I’m laughing in recognition. Joe, the retired mechanic’s response to my notification of strange car noises? “Turn the radio up.” [sigh] Thanks for the clue to toast oats first, knew about the nuts and coconut but not the oats.
    Machka, Lisa and KJ I’m exhausted hearing about all your weekend activities! Two batches of spiced nuts, two of rum balls and an experimental ooey gooey chewy flourless chocolate cookie and I’m bushed. Haven’t made the fudge yet as I discovered NO chocolate chips in the stash, only white chocolate, butterscotch, caramel and cinnamon ?!?
    KJ would you share your cinnamon and wintergreen rock candy and buttermint recipes?
    Ginny when I get that cold only two things will warm be back down to the bone, soaking in a hot tub, or sitting next to a woodstove. Hope the chill has passed.
    Tracey leaky roof :noway: oh noo! Is there a temporary repair that can tide you over til the spring? Our guest tub needs replacing, actually both bathrooms and kitchen could do with a complete remodel, but between lacking the $$ and Joe being unwilling to cope with the disruption, it won’t be happening. :love: Ember the snow pup and that you have a friend with such a great wit!
    Katla your cobalt blue drinking glasses sound lovely. Pic please?
    Thyme, poor Joe, every time I ask him to fix something plumbing related, it breaks and we have to call in the professionals. Last time it was the toilet, it got cracked when Joe tried to unbolt it. Big mess.
    Allie (((hugs))) Thankful for that nurse! When are you scheduled to get the defibrillator? (((hugs)))
    Rebecca addressed all your Chrismas cards last summer? I am in awe of you!
    Charsuzy congratulations on discarding those inches.
    Rori thanks for sharing your card, so good to see your smiling face! ((hugs))
    Welcome back @Robin_Bin! Would you remind us what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Michele “Just realized it’s 2 weeks before we have Christmas” Yikes!?! How the heck did that happen?

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    December: better than November.
    daily: sit with Joe: 5, weigh: 6, steps>5505=5518 vits=6 log=6 CI<CO=6 CI<250<CO=5 Tumble & Shadow 5=6 mfp=6 outside=6 up hill=6
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3 =0 rx= dance= clean 30 mins=1.5
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=3 play=0 sew=0
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Tracey- That headboard is fantastic! You and your dh did a great job on that! Do you mind if I share the pic with one of my daycare parents? She has a boy that would love something like this.
    Machka- Way to go for the successful event! I hear you on feeling like you need to take a day off after things like that. Our bodies sure don't bounce back like they used to. So...what is the star project you are working on?
    Rori- ((( <3 )))
    Barbara- For the rock candy (candy glass) I use this recipe. Instead of pouring the candy out onto foil, I pour mine out onto a thick layer of powdered sugar. The sugar then get's absorbed into the candy. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cinnamon-rock-candy/
    For the buttercreme mints: This is the recipe that I am using. I think it is the same as the one my mom used. lol All of her recipes got divvied up by my siblings and some of them lost some recipes. The only recipe of hers that I took was a recipe for pie crust. lol https://www.momontimeout.com/best-cream-cheese-mints/
    Ladies- Don't be too impressed with everything that I got done this weekend. Yesterday, I didn't get my cards done or any of the baking that I wanted to do. I just watched a couple of movies, cleaned house and ate pot roast and bean soup! lol

Kids arriving. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I bought a collection of these wood stars: https://www.kaisercraft.com.au/collections/craft-wood/products/w014

I'm painting half gold and half green and then I'll decorate them with gold or green glitter glue. I started with the glitter glue on a couple, but it wasn't providing the coverage I wanted, so I decided to paint first.

My husband put tiny holes in one point of each and I've got green thread ... and they'll be ornaments! :) My husband it talking about hanging them on a wire across a window like a garland.

I have not been very crafty or creative in years, so this is kind of an experiment.

This is "before" ...
    cljdol8e1djm.png

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Good Monday morning ladies!

Nice weekend here. Got nearly all Christmas cards addressed yesterday, will mail them today.

Decided to do a teensy bit of outside Christmas decorations. Picked up some shiny garland at the dollar store last week, so wrapped it around the wooden mailbox post and around the wire wreath frame to hang by the front door. Found a box of twinkly solar lights so threw them on the bare little maple beside our sidewalk. It's not much compared to some of the neighbors. I need to bring in some greens for a table centerpiece and a Christmas candle lit - love the smells of Christmas.

Lisa - so glad to hear you are feeling better and getting back to your contented busy self. That mask pattern is nifty, by the way. I might drag out my sewing machine, give it a spruce up and try one.

Allie - sorry you are still in the ICU but as others have said, it's the place to be. If the A-fib is still troublesome, what's the solution now? Meds? Pacemaker? I don't know that much about it. Bet you are very anxious to get home and be with Alfie again.

Michele - hope that your "boot" is doing the trick to help your foot heal. I'll be due for a new orthotic this spring and think I'll switch podiatrists. I see their website recommends "Vionic" shoes so want to find out more about them. Eventually my Hoka's will need to be replaced, I need to find a comfortable shoe to wear in the house. Have a pair of New Balance that are OK but they won't last forever.

Katiebug - glad your hand surgery is over. Is this your dominant hand? I remember my wrist surgery about ten years ago, of course my right dominant hand. At least my thumb and forefinger weren't numb anymore.

Katla - I love the way you decorate your little trees every year. How is your pup doing?

Rori - what a neat card, the "Happy Everything" thought is perfect. Hope the Medicaid program isn't too complicated.

Barbara - please send the plumber north when he's done fixing your faucets. I have a couple doing the "spray" thing, I replaced the little screens in them a while back which was only a temporary fix. One of these days we just need to bite the bullet and get both the plumber and electrician out here. Our "wired in" smoke alarm went kaput and the over the range microwave keeps tripping the circuit breaker. I'm ready to live in a tin roof shack somewhere, lol.

Tracey - sorry to hear about your roof. The joys of home ownership, not. Love your kitchen counter lights and awesome headboard! Rodger is so talented - yes people would pay big money for them.

Machka - thanks for sharing your summer bike activities. We are in for a week of gray rainy days.

Karen - so glad you popped in. Bet you are busy and hope everyone is doing well in your world.

Heather - good to hear your DS came through with the Christmas list for the grands, plus doing some of the shopping. Score! Interesting that John's pulse rate goes so low when he sleeps. Did you say he has an appointment with a GP to get it figured out? Glad your blood tests don't show anything out of whack.

Barbie - I dreamed we had a QFC in our county last night, lol. I always loved shopping there when we lived in a more civilized town, lol. Neat that they have a grocery pickup that works for you. I love hearing about your nightly walks and seeing the decorations. Our little road doesn't have streetlights so I don't venture out too far to see the neighbor's displays but the ones I can see are awesome.

News flash - my DH actually asked me to make a kind of shepherd's pie he used to love to eat. So I whipped one up yesterday and he ate 2 servings! Browned ground beef topped with mashed potatoes topped with a can of creamed corn. Some protein and fiber. Wish I could have gotten some green vegetable in there but anything other than his normal supper diet of Ore-Ida french fries and Tyson's chicken nuggets is a win. I think his body must be craving beef = iron.

Kelly - do you still take the kidlets out on walks around the neighborhood? My mouth is watering at the buttercream mint recipe.

Running out of time here. Welcome newbies and returnees!

Make it a great week, ladies!

Lanette B)
    Chilly & cloudy SW WA State

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :)Lanette, Yes, I am eternally grateful for my neighborhood and my QFC. Your spontaneous decorations sound great.

<3 Barbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    Options
    Machka - I've just bought the wooden hearts to use as present labels for the grandchildren. I've also used them as place settings. Ordinary felt tip pens can make them look really nice, they are always hugely appreciated. One year my DDIL kept them hanging from her cabinets for ages. :D<3 Mine have holes already in them.

We woke up to light frost, but it soon turned to rain. The geranium is still blooming!
    After lunch I did DH's hair with the trimmer ( he has a no 3) and had a go at his ears and eyebrows. Nice and tidy now.

Then I popped out to the shops in the rain and posted the first completed Christmas cards. Still got some to do, but won't have to write as much, as we talk anyway. DH has Australian ones to post, so I took those as well.

Having fish soup for dinner, nice and easy. Not feeling like cooking.

Oh well, must do 30 minutes rowing for my bonus calories. Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
    Grandmallie - thinking of u
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    It's coming up on the last minute for shipping Christmas presents. I have no ideas this year. It shouldn't be such a chore but it is.
  • WThyme
    WThyme Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Tracey - That headboard is amazing!

All of these crafting posts are inspiring me! :)
    Thyme in Georgia