What's on your mind?

Replies

• AvaEBerry
    AvaEBerry Posts: 161 Member
    In the Welcome to Atlanta remix, was Diddy really the best available rapper to rep NYC? I'm still bitter about that.
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    CacoEther wrote: »
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Robbers must be underwhelmed by organized minimalists. There's so little to rummage through and what little there is would be in curated and labeled fabric boxes 🤷🏿‍♀️

Im somewhat cynical of those claiming to be minimalists.

How so?

Because i dont think most have a clue what its really like to live with minimal creature comforts, and or space.

I’d agree with you there. But what is minimalism to you? I don’t see it as the act of striving to have as little as possible just for the sake of having as little as possible
  • Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 1,010 Member
    Robbers must be underwhelmed by organized minimalists. There's so little to rummage through and what little there is would be in curated and labeled fabric boxes 🤷🏿‍♀️

How so?

Because i dont think most have a clue what its really like to live with minimal creature comforts, and or space.

I’d agree with you there. But what is minimalism to you? I don’t see it as the act of striving to have as little as possible just for the sake of having as little as possible

Then what would it be? If you claim to be a minimalist i would think the very definition would be one that strives to have the minimum. Otherwise i dont think the title of minimalist woud apply.

Well, as is the case with many things, it’s subjective. I’m a minimalist. I have been my whole life. It doesn’t have all that much to do with the number of items I own. It has to do with how I relate to it. And in short, I don’t want it unless it’s useful or makes me happy. Stuff, especially in excess, greatly impacts my anxiety levels. Therefore, having less of it makes me a happier person

Subjective? So you may very well be a minimalist....but with your line of thinking could a very wealthy person have the same mindset of only acquiring things that made them happy like Rolls Royce cars and helicopters? If they could own dozens of each but only chose one of each, are they minimalist? Does a minimalist like yourself relate to someone that could own 10 multi million dollar mansions only owning one?
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member

How so?

Then what would it be? If you claim to be a minimalist i would think the very definition would be one that strives to have the minimum. Otherwise i dont think the title of minimalist woud apply.

Well, as is the case with many things, it’s subjective. I’m a minimalist. I have been my whole life. It doesn’t have all that much to do with the number of items I own. It has to do with how I relate to it. And in short, I don’t want it unless it’s useful or makes me happy. Stuff, especially in excess, greatly impacts my anxiety levels. Therefore, having less of it makes me a happier person

Subjective? So you may very well be a minimalist....but with your line of thinking could a very wealthy person have the same mindset of only acquiring things that made them happy like Rolls Royce cars and helicopters? If they could own dozens of each but only chose one of each, are they minimalist? Does a minimalist like yourself relate to someone that could own 10 multi million dollar mansions only owning one?

Sure. It’s a mindset. You don’t default to being a minimalist based on what you can afford. It’s not about restricting yourself either, imo. You can be a minimalist but still have hobbies or interests for which you accumulate things.

This is a completely unrelated example that I hope will illustrate my point: people have varying definitions of being content. Each person defines it their own way. If someone says they’re content, who’s to argue with them? I mean what would be the point?

I get what you’re saying. It seems a little brazen to call oneself a minimalist without knowing what it’s like to be unable to own much. But that’s like someone who can’t have kids being cynical that someone could claim to be content who doesn’t have kids or want kids.

Anyway, I was just interested to hear your take. Please don’t take any of this in a combative tone. I enjoy hearing your thoughts on things
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    There aren't as many peanuts in Snickers bars nowadays.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Looking forward to meeting my new baby niece born last night.

Congratulations uncle :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

How so?

I don't have a bathroom right now. Does that count?
  • The_Canadian_Apex
    The_Canadian_Apex Posts: 572 Member

Congratulations uncle :)

Thank you 😊
  • The_Canadian_Apex
    The_Canadian_Apex Posts: 572 Member

Congratulations M

Thanks Raych 😊
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,702 Member
    Oh lord, I really need to clean and do laundry and grocery shop. And I hate it.

I need my kids to help, but I still need to harass them to get it done. And I don't like that.

Why can't someone else be the adult in this home? 😂😭

Keep harassing teaching them. They and everyone else in their future lives will be better off. One person shouldn't do it all when others benefit.
  • Yoshiboobs
    Yoshiboobs Posts: 1,090 Member
    Cool. Pop ups. 👍🏻
  • Chocolate, beer, green smoothies 😀
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,511 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Oh lord, I really need to clean and do laundry and grocery shop. And I hate it.

I need my kids to help, but I still need to harass them to get it done. And I don't like that.

Why can't someone else be the adult in this home? 😂😭

Keep harassing teaching them. They and everyone else in their future lives will be better off. One person shouldn't do it all when others benefit.

Yes, it's a never ending task. They've been pretty good, in general. But they still would much rather game and chat their friends than work. (can't blame them! Haha)
  • CacoEther wrote: »

How so?

Sure. It’s a mindset. You don’t default to being a minimalist based on what you can afford. It’s not about restricting yourself either, imo. You can be a minimalist but still have hobbies or interests for which you accumulate things.

This is a completely unrelated example that I hope will illustrate my point: people have varying definitions of being content. Each person defines it their own way. If someone says they’re content, who’s to argue with them? I mean what would be the point?

I get what you’re saying. It seems a little brazen to call oneself a minimalist without knowing what it’s like to be unable to own much. But that’s like someone who can’t have kids being cynical that someone could claim to be content who doesn’t have kids or want kids.

Anyway, I was just interested to hear your take. Please don’t take any of this in a combative tone. I enjoy hearing your thoughts on things

I will also say, i do not think as many things are subjective as we like to think.

I know this about you already because we have had a discussion about it before 😉

I, on the other hand, believe most everything to be subjective. (Emphasis on believe)

For example (and this is what we discussed before), what’s the tallest mountain on the earth? Seems like a straightforward question, but my answer would be.. it depends on your parameters. Define ‘tallest’. Above sea level? Height from base to tip? Including or excluding underwater? From the center of the earth? (Because a mountain at the equator will be further from the center of the earth than one at the poles due to the earth not being a perfect sphere)

I adore my parents but they raised me to see everything in black and white terms and I don’t know if it backfired or I rebelled but I have literally never been able to take things at face value. I’m constantly made aware of how things could be viewed differently depending on the viewpoint. I’m the world’s WORST to watch a movie with or tell a joke to because I need to consider all possible scenarios. I frequently wrote page-long essays on test questions explaining why the question could be interpreted in a couple of different ways and I needed to address them all.

It’s hard to explain but to talk to me at length about something/anything is to hear me repeatedly ask for clarification so we’re on the same page, because nothing seems like a given. It’s extremely annoying actually. I don’t know why it’s so hard to simply understand what people mean

That’s pretty hot