Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• ElioraFR
    ElioraFR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ElioraFR wrote: »

I too can’t understand why the US would not block all incoming flights from the UK immediately. Would it ruin a political relationship or something? If eu countries are doing so to slow down Cov19 what can be the problem with the US doing so?

Dr. Fauci was interviewed last night on, The News Hour, on PBS. This question came up. He said the vaccine will respond to the mutated forms of the virus. He said that it’s possible, that the mutated form in the UK may already be here, and that they will be checking the tests to see whether it is here already.

Well, yep, come to think of it prolly went to UK from the US anyhow so why worry about it? 🤷🏼‍♀️😆 just kidding.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

I too can’t understand why the US would not block all incoming flights from the UK immediately. Would it ruin a political relationship or something? If eu countries are doing so to slow down Cov19 what can be the problem with the US doing so?

Dr. Fauci was interviewed last night on, The News Hour, on PBS. This question came up. He said the vaccine will respond to the mutated forms of the virus. He said that it’s possible, that the mutated form in the UK may already be here, and that they will be checking the tests to see whether it is here already.

Well, yep, come to think of it prolly went to UK from the US anyhow so why worry about it? 🤷🏼‍♀️😆 just kidding.

I kind of was thinking that myself, I’m not kidding, and I am worried.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    The new variant is also known to have been found in Australia, Denmark and the Netherlands and it was first discovered in September, so unfortunately it's likely it's already in many countries.

Edited for typo

Yes--you are correct. Let's just say that it's presence is now "official" in several areas. More to come.......
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

I see others have already covered the Dr. Fauci, September, and lame duck administration aspects of the answer to this question so I will add something new. I couldn't find how many flights from the UK land in New York, but I imagine it is a high percentage. Here's what the Governor of NY is doing (although as Snowflake said, you can get on a plane with a negative test yet still be positive.)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/12/21/new-covid-strain-us-health-officials-say-no-need-uk-flight-ban/3993897001/

..."That variant is getting on a plane and landing in JFK, and all it takes is one person," New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said in a statement Sunday. He called on the Trump administration to ban flights from the U.K. or, failing that, for airlines to test passengers before they fly from the U.K. to New York.

Cuomo said Monday that British Airways had agreed to require passengers on flights from the U.K. to New York to produce a negative coronavirus test before departure. In a tweet, he said New York was working with two other air carriers, Delta and Virgin Atlantic, to do the same.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    We live at the intersection of 3 states, and an easy drive to a 4th - it is CRAZY the differences from state to state, even in the relatively same area!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    It's odd that PA has numbers that are so high. We've had a mask mandate almost since the beginning. There was a total shut down for months. Indoor dining in restaurants is closed as are gyms. Schools are mostly virtual. And yet . . .

A lot of people do resist the restrictions. Masks are worn badly, and some don't wear them at all. It seems that the tighter the restrictions, the more people rebel. Still, the number of infections is ridiculously high. The news never explains what is happening. In the beginning it was the warehouse jobs and food processing plants. Now, who knows?