WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I also have certain medical difficulties (a genetic disorder) which is much better if I take my supplements. I need folic acid, B-vitamins, and magnesium. And because I cannot use hormone replacement to help me through the menopause process, I am trying some others. For example, a doctor recommended Evening Primrose Oil to me. I also take calcium because I don't consume a lot of dairy products.

I get bloodwork done at least once a year that checks my vitamin and mineral levels and they're all right in the middle of "normal", with the exception of iron which is usually just a bit high. So my doctors don't have any problems with what I'm doing.

M in Oz

My mister has very high iron. He takes turmeric supplements which are supposed to help block absorption. He hasn't been re-tested since he started those, but he is/was borderline hemochromatosis and cannot donate blood. I also limit how much vitamin C he gets, but not providing those foods, as Vitamin C helps with absorption of iron. Next time he sees his doctor, he will ask for the blood draw to find out if this is working. He also takes supplements for high cholesterol and blood pressure (these seem to be working), because his doc wants to put him on prescription meds and he doesn't want to go that route.

I am currently on prescribed iron supplements because of anemia, but I hope to stop those soon. The only lingering effects now are some shortness of breath and my heart rate is still a bit too high...but it's going down.

I take multivitamins too. I just don't eat enough calories in a day to get all the nutrients I need from food.

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Isolated cabin - Give it to me now. I know I should be embracing having so much time with the mister right now (though it's not really quality time), but I'm going through a lot and would love some alone time. I have a lot of issues I need to work out in my head and I am better at that when I'm alone. I'm actually perusing AirBnB for somewhere to stay for several days soon to try to work through things, pending my health situation.

Allie - I feel you with the small veins. I have bruises all up and down both arms from the recent blood draws and the procedure I had last week. They couldn't find my vein for the IV, so had to keep poking me until they succeeded. They finally got it to work in one hand. The bruises are taking forever to heal. I'm sending good thoughts your way for what you're going through.

We did another hike yesterday. It ended up being 4 miles, very slow going. We were both exhausted beyond what we thought we should have felt afterward. Maybe too much sun. Maybe 8+ miles hiking in a weekend is too much for us right now. We don't know.

I do know I'm losing tone in my legs and I am eager to start working on that again. I may do some basic exercises today, without weights. I am not supposed to lift heavy for another week.

We got a new scale and I don't like it. It accuses me of being 3 pounds heavier than I think I should be.

Hugs to those who need them. We all have different struggles and we all deserve to feel how we need to feel to get through them.

Tina in CA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Barbie: I have no idea when we will be able to get our vaccinations. Our local pharmacy has had NO information, and they’re the ones who will be giving the inoculations. I’ve been pleased with our governor for a while, but what she’s set out for vaccinations is NOT okay. DH particularly should be at the top of the list. He has diabetes and MS. :grumble:

Viv: You are right. The fall could have been much worse. My left wrist is still sore, but I took the compression bandage off of it and it is not swollen. I think it is healing okay. :flowerforyou:

Barbara: You may have already noticed my frustration with Oregon’s lack of vaccination roll out. Our local Safeway pharmacy is supposed to be the place to get vaccinated, but they have no information about when vaccine will be available. :grumble:

M in OZ: No MRI so far; there are no facilities nearby. I don’t think I’ll need one. I am not plagued with confusion or headaches. Thank goodness. :star: The waterfall is gorgeous!

Allie: Good news that your surgery is scheduled. I hope all goes very well. :flowerforyou:

Lanette: Nice to see your smile: :smiley:

KJ: I agree that the refrigerator/freezer is vital for keeping food safe. :star:

Pip: I love the dog photos. :bigsmile:

(((Rory))): You are in my thoughts and prayers. :heart:

I’ve been getting along without my glasses since I broke them in a fall. I can hardly wait for the new lenses so that seeing will be easier than the past little while. Small type has not been my friend. My distance vision is wonderful, but close up is not great. Tiny type fonts are particularly horrid for this avid reader. :noway:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    wizzywig wrote: »

Katiebug One of the main reasons I subscribed to the decluttering course was the fact that it was on offer. I do like their videos and how they interact with each other, but I also follow Dawn (the minimal mom) and she covers most of the course in her free Youtube videos too. So not sure if there is actually much value in the course, but I haven't watch all the course content yet. Dana is the only one new to me, I haven't seen any of her videos, although I am looking back and finding them.
    Viv UK <3

I love me some Dana K White but most of her YouTube videos are long and boring - just a head's up! I really don't have time to watch an hour of her helping someone declutter using her method - one of those is enough! Her newest one, though, isn't bad. Where she shines is blog posts, podcasts, and her books. And her honesty - she said right on her podcast not to buy the Take Your House Back course if you couldn't afford it - that you could get the info free another way. She also warned "her people" that the Facebook group might overwhelm them and they might do better to stay far, far away from it. She even tells you that everything in her books is free on her blog - the only advantage to getting the book is that it is organized and she doesn't ramble like she does in her podcasts. I subscribe to her podcast and listen to it while I clean or walk.

I'm back on plan trying to log honestly and consistently. That, coupled with truth journaling, is the only thing that works for me. It has served me well to keep off the 50 lbs I've lost, but it's time to kick it up a notch.

I made COVID vaccination appointments for my mother and father for tomorrow. Dave and I are on a pre-registration list for our county. I was able to go online and schedule appointments for Mama and Daddy, but that isn't available yet in the county where I live.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Had brunch ,roast beef on sandwich thin and then did another 4 laps....they had to do that nasty bloodwork again this morning.. they got the best PCA and bless her soul she got me first time and took one of every color tube so in case they need something already taken..
    Thats the way to do things...
    Must be busy because i havent seen the nurse or PCA since before 9
    My 3rd roomate going home today.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Options
    B)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Decided not to go out for my bonus walk. The weather wasn't inviting. :# I haven't been outside at all for three days now. However, I managed 30 mins on the rower and 30 mins on the recumbent bike. 400 calories, so 1,000 in all today. I wasvery happy because I was able to watch the new series of THE GREAT POTTERY THROW DOWN. Very upcheering. :D
    As I want to try my hand at throwing pots when we come out of lockdown, I love learning from the programme. Ceramics are my 'thing'.
    Of course, wanting to watch the programme may have had something to do with deciding not to go out for a walk. >:)

Had gorgeous Hairy Bikers Chicken and Chorizo for dinner.

I spent quite a few minutes this afternoon trying to amend my Waitrose order. The website was clearly under pressure and kept crashing. Persistence got it done, but I was cursing away! It's coming on Thursday.

TV quiz night tonight. Keeps DH happy. :D

Last night I was a bit bewildered as to why my elder son has not replied recently to my WhatsApp messages. I've sent him quite a few photos, including the new Nelly. He hadn't even looked at them. I texted him to ask if he had stopped using the app, and he replied straight away to say, ooops, he hadn't registered it on his new phone! Relief! I was beginning to think he didn't like me any more. ;)

Love to all. Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Rr
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Pip- are you testing me? lol Let's see...On the left in the red shirt Bullwinkle, Yogi in the middle, and Floyd on the right. ???
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Monday -- Hot summer day! The temperature reached a delightful and glorious 36C (96.8F).

So of course I had to go out and walk, walk, walk! In total, I covered 9.1 km between my commute walk, lunch walk and after work beach walk. I also climbed 6 flights of 20 steps.

Sadly, here in Tasmania, we get one day like that then it returns to the previously scheduled cool summer temps. :neutral: It's raining now and tomorrow should only get to 21C.

Still struggling with too much to do and not enough time to do it. Since the uni blinders came off, I see 1001 things that need tending to. However, first I really need to study something for work. I've been dabbling at it and everything else. I've got to get down to business! One thing at a time.

M in Oz
    I didn't know that your summers were so moderate/mild in Tasmania. I wouldn't like to walk when it's 36°! but I guess it depends on shade and humidity! not enough time to do it...(I feel you!)
    Morning ladies
    Had a pretty decent sleep for a hospital, and got up and did my laps this morning and they are coming to stick me for blood in a bit,after yesterday im very leary
    Dr came in and told me surgery will be friday morning,so im sure a covid test will be on the horizon..
    I do like a mid to late morning meal and then dinner skipping one is no biggie.havent lost much weight as im a hospital setting

You are a champ doing all those laps. It reminds me of one (or some) layover(s) in an airport. We spent a good part of the 2h layover in a long travel day going from terminal to terminal to terminal in a big loop. kind of quirky but useful to keep some balance.

• Katla49
    Options
    Meg: It is wonderful to see you posting here again. I am sorry about the loss of your kitty. :flowerforyou:

(((Debbie))): I am so sorry about the loss of your dad and also that your son & his girlfriend got it, too, along with you. I hope the three of you are getting better. :star:

I got two positive calls today. My daughter has received the covid vaccine and so has my son. Daughter’s husband and children have not been vaccinated. DDIL, like us, has also not been vaccinated yet. We have no idea how long it will be before we are able to get vaccinated, ourselves.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Isolated cabin - Give it to me now. I know I should be embracing having so much time with the mister right now (though it's not really quality time), but I'm going through a lot and would love some alone time. I have a lot of issues I need to work out in my head and I am better at that when I'm alone. I'm actually perusing AirBnB for somewhere to stay for several days soon to try to work through things, pending my health situation....Hugs to those who need them. We all have different struggles and we all deserve to feel how we need to feel to get through them.

Tina in CA
    The airbnb sounds nice.
    However, I managed 30 mins on the rower and 30 mins on the recumbent bike. 400 calories, so 1,000 in all today.

Last night I was a bit bewildered as to why my elder son has not replied recently to my WhatsApp messages. I've sent him quite a few photos, including the new Nelly. He hadn't even looked at them. I texted him to ask if he had stopped using the app, and he replied straight away to say, ooops, he hadn't registered it on his new phone! Relief! I was beginning to think he didn't like me any more. ;)

Love to all. Heather UK xxxxxxxx
    @cityjaneLondon you're such an inspiration with regular WO! and that allows you to keep being able to eat fun meals too. it's funny how often misunderstandings can come from tech glitches.
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Finally back online and checking in. To say it has been a rough few weeks would be an understatement.
    Just after midnight on 12/30 I got the worst call ever. My dad suddenly passed away. Mom and him had gone down to be tested for Covid on the 29th and a few hours after he passed they were confirmed positive. We were all up there Christmas and yep, not only did my son and his girlfriend get it but I am 99% sure I did too.I was way too weak to drive the 30 min to get tested. I spent almost a full week in bed up there at mom's. She has been tired but not to many other symptoms.
    I was finally able to get up energy to drive the hour home on Saturday. That was it until today. Today was the first time to turn my computer on in almost two weeks.
    I will try and read all the posts and see what all I have missed.
    Really have missed reading about everyone's days.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
    Debbie I am so so sorry. All my deepest condolences. Don't worry about reading all the posts. 2 weeks of posts is massive. You have other concerns. You can catch up as you go along. Thinking about you. I hope you and the rest of your family recover well and as quickly as possible.

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Finally back online and checking in. To say it has been a rough few weeks would be an understatement.
    Just after midnight on 12/30 I got the worst call ever. My dad suddenly passed away. Mom and him had gone down to be tested for Covid on the 29th and a few hours after he passed they were confirmed positive. We were all up there Christmas and yep, not only did my son and his girlfriend get it but I am 99% sure I did too.I was way too weak to drive the 30 min to get tested. I spent almost a full week in bed up there at mom's. She has been tired but not to many other symptoms.
    I was finally able to get up energy to drive the hour home on Saturday. That was it until today. Today was the first time to turn my computer on in almost two weeks.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Oh, Debbie. I am so sorry.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    megblair1 wrote: »
    Hi friends. I am still here. I'm hoping to make some healthier choices this year! I started Noom and like the articles so far. We lost a cat Friday. He had cancer and was getting chemotherapy, but it was very aggressive and he went fast. I plan to be back regularly ! Take care, Meg

Glad to see you back, Meg!

Flea
  • Katla49
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,392 Member
    Options

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

Debbie - I am so sorry... hope your family is holding up, and that the rest of you are recuperating. Many healing thoughts coming your way.

Lisa
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Debbie and Meg- many hugs from Ohio.