B)
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    :D
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Julie - I think cute is the correct word, I also find it touching that her roommate is obviously a caring person towards my Mom.

My Mom has the kindest heart, she never sees bad in anyone and trusts everyone. She could be take in advantage of very easily and she would not complain about anything. Her previous roommate moaned and hollered almost continuously, I heard her several times on calls with Mom and don’t know how she could stand it, but Mom tells me “oh she just sings to me”.

Lisa - I agree, I also wonder at what point do you just want her to enjoy life. I don’t know if I’m getting a bit jaded from working in a nursing home or what, no matter how well they are treated, no matter what we do to make their days brighter, most really aren’t happy and would rather go quickly than linger on not being at 100%. The flip side, of course, is some other health issues that could be much worse than she has now and still living a long life but suffering physically on top of the Alzheimer’s.

Machka - I think it would be interesting to be a beekeeper but my husband is deadly allergic so not a good mix.

I think if you begged me to get up in front of people and speak I could probably give a 40 minute presentation on what family means to me.

Pip- Happy Birthday to Yogi.

Katla - I need to study up on those signs for stroke and heart attack.

Flea - I think I would love hearing your topics.

Allie - I’m sorry to hear this. Hugs to you.

Michele - Mom’s sneaking around didn’t bother me at all! I thought it was funny and cute. My brother was not happy with my reaction when I laughed as he told me.

Heather - the commitment of a dog is what keeps holding me back. Nelly sure is cute.

Terri - maybe I need to have one of those in depth years. I have a lot of unfinished projects.

Beth - I love small town police logs. I miss my small hometown’s police force. They don’t even exist now, just the RCMP and not such funny little incidents more serious crimes. My cousin’s hardware store was broken into last night, they drilled the deadbolt out. Thousands stolen.

I left work at 1230 today, I just couldn’t handle the back pain anymore. I had a little nap and will soon go take a hot bath.

I am hoping that a day of rest tomorrow, on top of today, I’ll be better on Sunday.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Tracey - so sorry to hear what happened to your cousin.

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    <3<3Allie sending many gentle hugs your way <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Tracey: I hope you’re feeling better by now and have had good rest. :star::star::star:

Dr Katie: I am a retired 8th grade Social Studies teacher. I taught US History, from the Revolutionary War through the Civil War and a bit more. We also did an economics unit. Luckily for me, I had a teaching colleague who helped me through the transition from elementary school to eighth grade social studies. I am still grateful to her for all of her help. :flowerforyou:

Kelly: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thank you!!!

Allie: It is good to hear that you are walking a couple of times a day. Sending good thoughts. I hope your doctors are able to help you return to good health and a happy life. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🟣💜
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Good morning again
    Well got the news that they will have to do open heart surgery again so theres that

My goodness Allie! Hang in there and stay strong! You'll be a newer stronger version soon! Hugs and good thoughts.

Cheri
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Caught up, but now it's too late to do any commenting!
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island where we saw sunshine today!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Saturday

We had a little bit of an adventure today. :)

We drove up to Mt Field National Park, 90 km away - nearly a 2-hour drive on Tasmanian roads.
    https://parks.tas.gov.au/explore-our-parks/mount-field-national-park

We parked, unloaded the bicycles and cycled up to the next town up the road, 13 and a bit km away. UP to the next town and into the wind. It was a struggle for out of shape legs. When we got to the town, we headed to the grocery store hoping for a cold drink and ice cream bar, but it was closed. Oh well. Fortunately the return trip was more or less downhill and we got back to the visitor's centre in time to get that cold drink and ice cream bar!

And then we did a walk up to one of the attractions ... a pretty waterfall. :)

uc6eb451zuha.png

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, called DDS, inventoried faucet parts, called Moen + texted Home Depot for missing deckplate, called roofer about new stain on ceiling, 30 mins Leslie Sansone.
    Bonus: stroll with Joe and the dogs, zoom with T, emailed plumber to schedule faucet install.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, type hymns, fire call data into state system, follow up call roofer, call S, find HRM, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 20, submit grant pics and receipts, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Saturday movie date with Joe, Garbo’s Anna Karenina
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments, Happier January:
    8: Say (only) positive things to the people you meet today: mostly ;}

Joe invited me to join him and the dogs on a Crissey Field wetlands stroll, and I leapt at the chance. Sky was a stunning, sunny blue, but to the north the storm clouds were dark, heavy and Joe pointed out what looked like a tornado or waterspout? Awesome walk.

Alas, then I couldn’t refuse his offer to stop at Burger King for French Toast Sticks, bacon and Coke. :sick: Came to my senses and threw ¾ of the Coke away but the damage was done.

Opened the faucet box to inventory before scheduling plumber. Good thing. The “included deckplate” wasn’t. Moen customer service will call me back in 2 hrs. Missed their call, texted Home Depot, frustrating delays. Meanwhile asked Joe to double check me and look for the deck plate in the box. He lifted up the OTHER end of the packing material and found it. Relieved and embarrassed.

Julie inspired by your accomplishments the other day, bit the bullet and called the DDS. Got estimate for Joe’s two fillings (USD265), my filling (USD253), and if during filling, my bridge fails (~USD4300!!!). Gulp. That would mean monthly payments of over USD350 for a year. Good thing the car’s paid off. And IF the tooth fails and has to be extracted, they WILL refer me to an oral surgeon. That’s what I want. Had such horrible extraction experience at 17 that I swore a mighty oath that never again without anesthesia/oral surgeon. But that’s also what I don’t want. Expect it to be ex$$$$pensive. Appointment toward the end of the month.
    Heather :love: Nelly :love:
    Machka like Julie I’d prefer at least some prep time. In a pinch could do 40 min presentations, either “Welcome to the women in the 50+ thread,” or “How to line dance for fun and friendship.”
    KJ I couldn’t catch all the nuances, as the burr is so strong, but by the end I was laughing out loud, helplessly. Thanks, I needed that!
    Pip Happy Birthday to the other good looking guy in your life. :love:
    Tina thanks for the Bill Bryson audio books recommendation
    Flea I’d :love: to hear your History of the English Language presentation. I’ve got a roll of nickels ;)
    Lisa I’d also :love: to hear your grant writing presentation.
    Katla didn’t realize your DH had a stroke years past. Sometimes fast action can make a difference, sometimes, it can’t. :cry: :Loved: Barbara Wodehouse and her “walkies” When I actually do Absolute Dogs “Sexier Than A Squirrel” training games it has a magical effect.
    Allie (hugs) sad to hear you need more surgery, thankful you are at such an excellent facility and proud of your positive attitude. Prayers and ((hugs))).
    Penny I’d :love: to see your “How not to present” presentation. Reminds me of a video conference training at work where the gals did all the “don’ts”. It was hilarious and really made an impression, easy to remember. Love laughing at translations gone awry.
    Beth when we lived in Boise, there was a zoo fundraiser called “Feast for the Beast” where high dollar donors were feted, then allowed in after hours near feeding time. Hmm. What could possibly go wrong? Well, the policeman who was firing warning shots to get the tiger off her, accidentally shot her in the leg…
    Couldn't find the Statesman's blotter record of it, but this comes close: http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0008/18/tod.11.html
    Tracey hoping you can get some relief from your back pain. Can you get in to see a Dr or PT?

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    January: leaner/stronger/kinder than December.
    daily: sit with Joe: 8, weigh/wii: 8/10, steps>5592=6411 vits=8 log=8 CI<CO=8 CI<250<CO=7 Tumble 5=7 Shadow 5=8 mfp=8 outside=8 up hill=6
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3 =2 rx=1 dance=4 clean 60 mins=2 packwalk=1
    mnthly: board mtg= , grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=5 play=7 sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    @bananasandoranges - I feel you! This too shall pass, we just have to hang on. Human touch is so important to us. I wish I was there to hug you. A "sun" light might help some. I know I am like a cat and seek out that sunspot whenever it comes out. A year trapped, lacking human interaction, and shorter daylight hours sucks! ((HUGS)) We are all here for you! Self care is so important right now. YOU are WORTHY! YOU are BEAUTIFUL! YOU are IMPORTANT! YOU are LOVED!

Kylia
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    HEATHER she’s gorgeous (presume a girl) I love her already tell them I would like lots of pics and tales of her antics

Need to go back and read pages I’ve missed

Kate UK

Sorry realise I hadn’t missed any just so excited by your pic 🤣
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Saturday

We had a little bit of an adventure today. :)

We drove up to Mt Field National Park, 90 km away - nearly a 2-hour drive on Tasmanian roads.
    https://parks.tas.gov.au/explore-our-parks/mount-field-national-park

We parked, unloaded the bicycles and cycled up to the next town up the road, 13 and a bit km away. UP to the next town and into the wind. It was a struggle for out of shape legs. When we got to the town, we headed to the grocery store hoping for a cold drink and ice cream bar, but it was closed. Oh well. Fortunately the return trip was more or less downhill and we got back to the visitor's centre in time to get that cold drink and ice cream bar!

And then we did a walk up to one of the attractions ... a pretty waterfall. :)

uc6eb451zuha.png

M in Oz

26.26 km with 340 metres of climbing.
    kplgbfz5ecgu.png

And the walk ...
    cvq47jg2qw7g.png

M in Oz
  • spikeyhair
    Options
    Got pillows and kitchen stuff delivered from Ikea.

Also got wool hat delivered.
    I also ordered silk undergloves (that's enough for here in Paris at around 32°/0° for a little walk, and otherwise good for under the scooter gloves if I ever leave home again). and a pair of wool kneesocks. it's not SO easy to find good wool women's knee socks here. ...

Could knit you some

Kate UK
  • Machka9
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Another Getting to Know You question ...

What could you give a 40-minute presentation on with absolutely no preparation?

On what topic?

Machka in Oz

One of the things I did years ago when I was looking my first "professional" position was to join Toastmasters. One of the little exercises we did at Toastmasters was the impromptu speech. Someone was the impromptu speech master and chose 3 topics. That person stood up and introduced the first topic, and handed over to someone in the "audience".

That person had to talk on that topic for about 3 minutes with an opening, body and conclusion ... and addressing the topic in some way.

I loved that position - springing topics on my fellow toastmasters, but I also enjoyed doing it. And I found that it was really helpful in my interviews. The interviewer would ask a question and I'd respond in about 1 minute with an opening, body and conclusion.

I was with Toastmasters for 2 years, and to my surprise, I participated in two different speech competitions ... Inspirational Speech and Humorous Speech. I won at club level with the first and came in second at the next level. But to my complete and utter surprise, I won several levels with the Humorous Speech and ended up delivering it in front of an audience of about 300 people. At that level, I placed second and didn't carry on ... kind of to my relief.

Before Toastmasters, I thought I hated speaking in public, but found I actually don't mind and sometimes I enjoy it.

Throughout my recent degree, I was almost always the one in my many group work activities to present the assignment because the other students were often quite fearful of standing in front of the class and doing a presentation.

40 minutes is long, and for that, I'd need to talk about cycling. But for something shorter - 10 or 20 minutes - I could probably manage to talk on any number of subjects.

It has been interesting to see what some of you would talk about - the subjects you know best. :)

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Pleased with myself for ringing an old uni friend. I'd said I would last week, so I did. Nice chat.
    She said she was longing for it all to be over so they could come and stay and eat my delicious cooking.
    My heart sank, and I realised I didn't want that AT ALL :o I have realised how much I enjoy not having social obligations, especially having to create five star meals! I'm going to do a Barbie and say, nice to see you , but not staying, and wouldn't it be nice to go out for a meal. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    Options
    KATLA we trained our first dog with Barbara Woodhouse method (no internet then only tv) she was a mixed breed and was the most well behaved loveable dog you could meet. We then got another after much begging and cajoling from the kids. She was a collie cross, The Woodhouse method had no effect on her she was completely mad, went her own way for all the 11 years we had her.

ALLIE so sorry to hear your news, hugs and good thoughts

Kate UK ❤️