WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,366 Member
    Lisa - .You are right, but it's not the dog itself that I'm not fond of. I think they require a huge amount of commitment and very much curtail your life. Plus I am not fond of the way most owners treat their dogs. A good dog is a well trained dog and I don't approve of the over indulgence most people give their pets. I admire a good working dog and I am not fond of barkers. :# Having said all that, I will have to grit my teeth around Nelly, not interfere, and I will probably fall in love with her. :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

And in a nutshell, that is why we don't, at the moment, have a dog. A) my husband doesn't want to traumatize Egg, as he seriously adores that cat--I'm aware that dogs and cats CAN get along, but you haven't met Egg; B) the time commitments - training in particular, as I have the same standards, but dogs also simply need more time than cats do; C) Being anchored to one space. I've done enough traveling with animals to know that's not something I prefer, so taking them with me is simply not an option. Egg is fine on her own for a day or two. When I get a dog, I will be committing to simply staying home--and that's not yet. I don't really have a social network here where I could ask someone to stop in to take care of animals, so it's a serious commitment.

Kate - UK -

I used to LOVE watching the Woodhouse Way on BBC in 1980. If you haven't seen him yet, Cesar Millan is an amazing trainer... I used some of his methods on Daisy when we lived at the ranch, and she was wonderfully well-behaved. When we moved into town and left her there with the cowboys, I decided I was never going to get another animal that I couldn't commit to for life. Loved that dog, but she hated being in town so much--she was a ranch dog, and it was all she'd ever known.

Nothing planned for the weekend, but I'm sure we'll end up stuck into one project or another. For now, a little laundry, a lot of coffee and enjoying my time with Corey.

Later y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    Morning ladies
    You would be proud i already made 3 laps around cardiology wing..im not much of a breakfast person but will order an early lunch...
    Slept pretty well but chest hurts (incision) from coughing.
    Oh well. They are going to double up on antibiotics...
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    <3 I am here! Slept in a bit; and now have to jump in the shower before I get the shopping done! Will chat when I get back and while I get the yogurt going! Love and hugs to all! See you in a bit! KJ
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,830 Member
    Regarding dogs ... around here we've got a lot of greyhounds who have been rescued. From what I've seen, they're great. Very well behaved.

And then we've got a bunch of others. One of whom has barked on and off all evening ... it's 12:30 am, I'm going to bed, and this dog is still barking for a bit, going quiet, barking for a bit, etc. From past experience, I'll probably get up to use the toilet at about 2:30 am, and the dog will be barking.

The neighbours behind us had one that barked all day long after they left to go to work, and then periodically through the night when this other dog would set it off. Drove us crazy! But then they had a kid and the dog is quiet. I don't know if they're home more, or if they realised that their barking dog was upsetting their baby.

One of the reasons we like to travel is to go places where the dogs don't bark all night long.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,830 Member
    Morning ladies
    You would be proud i already made 3 laps around cardiology wing..im not much of a breakfast person but will order an early lunch...

I am glad you're in the cardiology ward getting help!

M in Oz
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Morning ladies

I am glad you're in the cardiology ward getting help!

M in Oz

When we were in Romania a couple of years ago, we stayed in a very lovely hotel in Transylvania. The dogs in the neighborhood barked all night long. When one stopped for a split second, another would take over. There was not a minute of sleep that night.

Fortunately, the scenery is beautiful there so we were able to enjoy the next day, but we would not have stayed another night in that hotel. The dogs in our neighborhood bark for an hour or two around dusk. Then they're pretty quiet all night.

I don't dislike dogs. I just wish people put more effort into training and making them stop when they do act up.

Tina
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,044 Member
    Because Drew is part Italian Greyhound she rarely barks. I have to admit I find this one of her endearing traits. I also like having a small dog. When we walk and hit a sidewalk over salted I can just pick her up to avoid the salted sidewalk. The owners of the sidewalk missed the video on salting a sidewalk. You just sprinkle a small amount down the middle. If there is excess after a day or two you have used to much and unfortunately that gets into out water system.

For me I listen to the barking dogs. When they bark because they are neglected and are not getting enough of what they need that is what bothers me.

I do think the pit bull behind me at son's house is gone. I have not seen her in a long time. I wish it had not come to this with her. Safety does come first.

Now that I have Drew I am even more stingy with the salt. I try whenever possible to use Kitty liter that has nothing extra in it. We do have a couple of spots I do have to use salt or risk ice and falling.

I am still reading books on microbes. I am finding it fascinating and how much we really do not know about this world and how much it influences us.

I continue to eat as much variety of fruits and veggies that I can and when possible organic. I need to feed the microbes that will help me stay healthy.

I have also done a lot of research what to feed Drew. When she came to us she was underweight. When I look at the charts she is just right now. I do have to be careful not to overfeed her. She like me does not have a good stop button. She is only twelve pounds so it is takes very little to over feed her.

:heart: Margaret
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    :)
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Julie inspired by your accomplishments the other day, bit the bullet and called the DDS. Got estimate for Joe’s two fillings (USD265), my filling (USD253), and if during filling, my bridge fails (~USD4300!!!). Gulp. That would mean monthly payments of over USD350 for a year. Good thing the car’s paid off. And IF the tooth fails and has to be extracted, they WILL refer me to an oral surgeon. That’s what I want. Had such horrible extraction experience at 17 that I swore a mighty oath that never again without anesthesia/oral surgeon. But that’s also what I don’t want. Expect it to be ex$$$$pensive. Appointment toward the end of the month.
    @auntiebk I'm right there with you.

@kymarai thank you!
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    Got pillows and kitchen stuff delivered from Ikea.

Could knit you some

Kate UK

@Kate, awww that is so sweet...
  • bananasandoranges
    my husband doesn't want to traumatize Egg, as he seriously adores that cat--I'm aware that dogs and cats CAN get along, but you haven't met Egg;
    Lisa in AR
    We always had dogs and cats. I've found dogs are overall more able to adapt to new company, than cats. Most cats (with some exception) over a certain age don't even welcome other cats...and sometimes not even other people..
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,075 Member
    ❤️❤️
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,323 Member
    :)
  • bananasandoranges
    got through the day.
    good things done
    -15 min cleaning/uncluttering kitchen shelves
    -made a big light chicken soup with 1 left over chicken thigh and wing
    -good call and exchange with colleague

grateful
    -the 3 colleagues I exchanged with today
    - the national union people seeing if they can help me out w something
    - warm and sturdy socks that arrived, and datebook that arrived
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,728 Member
    Katla - my upper back pain has settled some, now if my lower back and hips would settle I would be happy.

Barbara - I think the time with Joe and the invitation is worth the calories. It would be for me anyway. Happy that you had a nice walk with him.

Julie - I can’t imagine doing this alone. Here in AB, people that live alone are allowed two designated visitors, not at the same time and cannot be changed. I think they did it wrong though, I think the person that lives alone should be able to go visit. I don’t want to leave my husband alone in the evening or on weekends to go visit my friend after he has been alone all week while I’m at work. My friend started driving Uber Eats so she gets some human interaction. Her full time job is a work from home and has been for about 10 years.

On dogs- my daughter is alone with her puppy a lot as her husband works out of town and is only home one or two days a week. She has been doing all of her training and they are doing very well. Ember sits when someone comes to the door and waits for people to get their coat and boots off before greeting them, she also is good with meeting other dogs on there twice daily walks. She has learned to sit, stay, and they were working on bowing the last I saw them. I think Ember has been a Godsend for her during this pandemic. I would love to have a dog, but the financial commitment is what scares me. I would feel terrible if something serious were to happen and I couldn’t afford a vet bill.

I was hoping to take at our craftroom and get it in order this weekend but I don’t want to aggravate my back. I am sitting with my Dr. Ho and the heating pad. My concoction of pain pills seems to be helping. I don’t want to cry from the pain today so it’s getting better.

I am just relaxing and watching tv today I think.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    In the UK you can contact the local authorities over persistently barking dogs. It is a noise nuisance. I would also report it to the RSPCA. They would visit and give advice. Other than that I would try poison. :*
    I don't think neighbours round here would tolerate noisy dogs for long! I consider it an assault on mental health.

I'm hoping to Zoom the grandchildren tomorrow after lunch and say hello to Nelly. I googled the cost of an Australian Labradoodle. Oh my Gosh! :#:o
    My son has three rescued greyhounds and I don't think they make any noise at all. They were free.

Quiet day today. Had a nap. Did 1,000 calories burn. :D Having yesterday's leftovers for dinner with peas and carrot and rutabaga mash.

Watched THE TRUTH ABOUT THE IMMUNE SYSTEM while I was rowing. Basically, eat a lot of fibre - fruits and veg, lentils, whole grains, don't overdo the alcohol, exercise regularly, take vitamin D and basically that's it. If you want a temporary boost you can try a cold shower or a massage. Vitamins and supplements are basically just expensive pee. :D
    Well, we know all that, don't we. Easy. :D

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    B)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    Afternoon ladies
    Hey US ladies way back in the day there was a british series ,All creatures great and small..based on the books by Vet James Herriot...loved all the books about a new yorkshire vet in the 40s i think,so many laughs
    9 pm on your local PBS Sunday night they have a remake..cant wait...
    Did my second round of laps around the cardiology wing,had my lunch and sitting in the chair..dont want to be slouch..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    Allie - The remake isn't bad. Quite enjoyed it. The books are a great read.

When I was very young I wanted to be a vet. I wasn't so keen when my mother told me I would have to cut dogs' tails off and put them to sleep.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • judefit1
    judefit1 Posts: 504 Member
    Afternoon ladies
    Hey US ladies way back in the day there was a british series ,All creatures great and small..based on the books by Vet James Herriot...loved all the books about a new yorkshire vet in the 40s i think,so many laughs
    9 pm on your local PBS Sunday night they have a remake..cant wait...
    Did my second round of laps around the cardiology wing,had my lunch and sitting in the chair..dont want to be slouch..

@ grandmallie: I loved those books- lovely, funny and made me laugh out loud! The show was also good! I will look for the remake, thank you! I'm a newbie here :smile:
    From your post is sounds like you are in the hospital- I hope you are doing OK!