WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,101 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Finally back online and checking in. To say it has been a rough few weeks would be an understatement.
    Just after midnight on 12/30 I got the worst call ever. My dad suddenly passed away. Mom and him had gone down to be tested for Covid on the 29th and a few hours after he passed they were confirmed positive. We were all up there Christmas and yep, not only did my son and his girlfriend get it but I am 99% sure I did too.I was way too weak to drive the 30 min to get tested. I spent almost a full week in bed up there at mom's. She has been tired but not to many other symptoms.
    I was finally able to get up energy to drive the hour home on Saturday. That was it until today. Today was the first time to turn my computer on in almost two weeks.
    I will try and read all the posts and see what all I have missed.
    Really have missed reading about everyone's days.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA

So sorry about your dad. I hope that you and the rest of the family recover quickly. (((Hugs)))

Meg: Good to see you posting again.

Allie, continued prayers for your healing.

Back is definitely much better today. We even managed a walk in our nearby park.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    "Some states don't have any restrictions. Others do, but it's really hard to enforce them. Since each state is sovereign, it's difficult to get them all to do the same thing, especially as divided as we are right now.

Tina"

Tina is absolutely correct. We are the United States of America, and each of the 50 states is sovereign, with it's own State Constitution, laws and rules. Each state border is open to people from other states, no passport necessary.

Katla
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,877 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    "Some states don't have any restrictions. Others do, but it's really hard to enforce them. Since each state is sovereign, it's difficult to get them all to do the same thing, especially as divided as we are right now.

Tina"

Tina is absolutely correct. We are the United States of America, and each of the 50 states is sovereign, with it's own State Constitution, laws and rules. Each state border is open to people from other states, no passport necessary.

Katla

Australia is also a collection of states with their own state constitutions, laws, rules, and area which they govern. Each state border is (usually) open to people from other states, no passport necessary.

However, if one state, like say New South Wales, has a sudden surge of cases ... maybe 20 or 30 of them ... Victoria and Queensland will likely close their borders to New South Wales. Other states and territories may as well. When NSW's cases drop back to 0, the borders will reopen.

Our borders are opening and closing all the time these days. If we travel, we run the risk of being stuck in another state, not able to leave that state and/or not able to return to your home state. Or we may have to quarantine for 14 days in the place we travel to or home on our return.

So it's risky to travel.

Here are the coronavirus border closure rules across all states and territories in Australia
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-11/qld-nsw-tas-sa-act-nt-wa-vic-border-closures-hotspots-explained/13047690

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    ve91ehp9mlrq.png

:):):)

I do appreciate both my parents for encouraging me to play outside, to ride bicycle, to walk and run and generally be active in the great outdoors.

M in Oz
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Tina"

Katla

Australia is also a collection of states with their own state constitutions, laws, rules, and area which they govern. Each state border is (usually) open to people from other states, no passport necessary.

However, if one state, like say New South Wales, has a sudden surge of cases ... maybe 20 or 30 of them ... Victoria and Queensland will likely close their borders to New South Wales. Other states and territories may as well. When NSW's cases drop back to 0, the borders will reopen.

Our borders are opening and closing all the time these days. If we travel, we run the risk of being stuck in another state, not able to leave that state and/or not able to return to your home state. Or we may have to quarantine for 14 days in the place we travel to or home on our return.

So it's risky to travel.

Here are the coronavirus border closure rules across all states and territories in Australia
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-11/qld-nsw-tas-sa-act-nt-wa-vic-border-closures-hotspots-explained/13047690

M in Oz

It's the same more or less here, but it's impossible to enforce. California tried closing all hotels to out of state visitors unless they stay for 14 days, but the hotels aren't going to watch to see if they leave their rooms.

It's just impossible.

Tina
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💜❤️💙💚💛
  • Machka9
    edited January 2021
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »

Tina"

Katla

So it's risky to travel.

M in Oz

It's the same more or less here, but it's impossible to enforce. California tried closing all hotels to out of state visitors unless they stay for 14 days, but the hotels aren't going to watch to see if they leave their rooms.

It's just impossible.

Tina

We brought in the army - there are military guards outside the quarantine hotels here.

If you're a visitor, and if you come here from a medium or high-risk area, you pay to go into a quarantine hotel for 2 weeks.
    "All people undertaking quarantine in a government-designated accommodation facility are required to pay $2,800 per person."
    https://coronavirus.tas.gov.au/travellers-and-visitors/quarantine

People do try to escape, but they get caught and are charged hefty fines.

"Quarantine is very important to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in Tasmania. If you have been told to quarantine at home, you must do so. Breaching the quarantine process may incur a penalty of up to $16,800 or face the possibility of up to six months jail time."
    https://coronavirus.tas.gov.au/travellers-and-visitors/quarantine

So basically, we have to be very careful about where we travel.

In our case, my husband and I can't leave the state anyway, and it would be super stressful if we were stuck somewhere, so we continue to explore Tasmania. As I've said before ... thank goodness it is pretty! :)

M in Oz

(To whoever disagreed, I've provided the link so you can read it yourself and see what I've said is true).
  • Machka9
    Options
    Wednesday -- Beautiful, sunny 26C (79F)

68bm80oabrgr.png

I'm up to 37 km of walking so far this month ... and this year! I'm in a challenge to walk 100 km this month. I don't think I'll do that, but you never know! That would be 3.5 km/day.

Machka in Oz

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Michele - if Rodger would go to the doctor they might be able to the bottom of it.

Lisa - I must be a princess too. I absolutely despise getting my hands dirty or sweating. I kept many a wood fire though and I don’t know if I would do it on my own anymore or not.

Katla - maybe call your local public health office. Here in Canada only public health will be administering the vaccine. You would get a good solid answer at least and maybe they would move you up the line.

Flea - I’m glad you are able to stay with your Mom longer if she asks. I wouldn’t be able to.

Machka - I swear I am taking a vacation with the sole purpose to be catch the Northern Lights. They show up long after I’m in bed most nights.

I don’t have a lot to contribute tonight. Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka - I swear I am taking a vacation with the sole purpose to be catch the Northern Lights. They show up long after I’m in bed most nights.

Tracey in Edmonton

For 11 years, I lived north of Grande Prairie ... the Northern Lights would usually show up in March and sometimes in autumn, if I recall correctly. And I seem to remember seeing them around 11 pm or midnight or so. :)

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    <3
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    n5w6pi0tfirr.jpeg
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear of your father's passing and of illness passing thru your family.
    Allie, thinking good thoughts for you! Sure hope your sundowning roomie doesn't disturb you too much! If she does, make sure you call in medical staff to settle her, that's their job, not yours, you are supposed to be resting too.
    Heather and KJ, great photos of the grands!
    Covid vaccinations: sounds like we will be lucky to get them by the fall, kind of a slow rollout here in Canada. Frontline workers and vulnerable folks are getting it first, hubby and I are really neither. He is an asthmatic with a heart condition, but he's not in a care facility, so his chances of getting sick are lessened. That plus the fact that he doesn't go anywhere..... good thing he's a homebody! lol And I am careful when I'm out, masked and distancing!
    I must get up at the crack of dawn tomorrow so I'm am off to bed!
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Over the years, I've had to readjust my priorities. Right now my priorities are staying safe and being available to my husband. That has changed a lot of what I do. In years past, my priorities have been different. In order to stay safe, I stay home a lot and stay out of stores. In order to be available to my husband, I've stayed home, eaten foods that aren't my first choice and watched things on TV that don't interest me. I've had to let go of certain thrifty habits like shopping at different stores for the best bargain and my desire to reuse bags for grocery shopping. In years past, those would have been high priority for me.

:) When I have a disagreeable task to finish, I work on it first each day before I do the fun stuff.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I have so much respect for your, Barbie. I aspire to be as content as you are and as present for my own husband as you are for yours.

Flea
    Sleepless on the Olympic peninsula because of scary, scary winds. Pine cones and branches are being thrown onto my mother's roof! :scream:
  • OregonMother
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    About the vaccine: now my concern is that I’d be able to get it, only we’ll be in FL at the time. Wish I could get it earlier

I wonder what will happen to my job once enough people get vaccinated??? I guess that remains to be seen

Michele NC

How are you able to travel with the number of cases the US currently has?

If one of our states gets 20 cases, travel shuts down.

Even with the vaccine, we'll still have to wash our hands regularly, keep everything ultra-clean, and distance. That's just going to have to be the way of life for some time to come ..... I hope.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

M in Oz

There are no border patrols between states (except agricultural checks going in (and maybe out of?) California. Some states have tried to restrict travel, but it's not enforceable. I tried to obey the rules when coming up to be with my mother -- got a test, quarantined until negative, and I am limiting my travel while I'm here. I've been here nearly two weeks, and except for my walks around the lake, I've been out of her house twice -- once to take her to the doctor and the second time to go to the grocery store. (We have been ordering in, but the gluten free bread they delivered most recently was so moldy, I couldn't eat it. I needed to go and pick out my own, to be sure.)

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR (soon, I hope)
  • OregonMother
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    About the vaccine: now my concern is that I’d be able to get it, only we’ll be in FL at the time. Wish I could get it earlier

I wonder what will happen to my job once enough people get vaccinated??? I guess that remains to be seen

Michele NC

How are you able to travel with the number of cases the US currently has?

If one of our states gets 20 cases, travel shuts down.

Even with the vaccine, we'll still have to wash our hands regularly, keep everything ultra-clean, and distance. That's just going to have to be the way of life for some time to come ..... I hope.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

M in Oz

Some states don't have any restrictions. Others do, but it's really hard to enforce them. Since each state is sovereign, it's difficult to get them all to do the same thing, especially as divided as we are right now.

Tina

Ha! I should have read your response first.

Liberty and freedom are high values here. I wish we had pushed personal responsibility and the importance of community health, but it is what it is. I don't notice it so much until we have times like these.

• OregonMother
    edited January 2021
    Options

Tina"

Katla

So it's risky to travel.

M in Oz

Honest question -- how is it enforced? Do you have to go through a border check all of the time when going into another state? Do you have special checkpoints set up for this situation? Or do people just obey the rules and don't test them?

Allegedly, we can't even make sure people quarantine for the required/recommended amount of time. It used to be 14 days, then went to 10, and where I used to live, in Kansas, the county health officials reduced it to 7, in the hope that people will obey the recommendation if it isn't too draconian. They don't.
  • OregonMother
    Options
    So, I am really spooked by this weather.

It is so beautiful here, and I often think I would like to live here permanently after I retire. The walks are amazing. The lake, pretty decent sized, is across the street from my mom's house, so we can kayak easily. It's an older community, so pretty quiet.

And then we have nights like this, and I am just sure one of her trees is going to crash in on me. She's perfectly calm. (I went in and checked on her.) I do not want to see what it's going to look like out there in the morning. And don't forget! She already has a tree down, leaning up against another tree.

Oh, dear. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. :cold_sweat:
  • Machka9
    edited January 2021
    Options

Tina"

Katla

So it's risky to travel.

M in Oz

Honest question -- how is it enforced? Do you have to go through a border check all of the time when going into another state? Do you have special checkpoints set up for this situation? Or do people just obey the rules and don't test them?

Allegedly, we can't even make sure people quarantine for the required/recommended amount of time. It used to be 14 days, then went to 10, and where I used to live, in Kansas, the county health officials reduced it to 7, in the hope that people will obey the recommendation if it isn't too draconian. They don't.

When the state borders are closed, there are border checks with police, SES and sometimes military. People need to show their identification and papers. If they don't have the right information, they are turned back or fined.

One such bit of paperwork is the G2G Pass:
    https://www.g2gpass.com.au/initiative

If people have to be in quarantine, they either go to a quarantine hotel and are guarded by the military (if they are not a resident of the state) or they go to a private residence (if they are a resident of the state) and the police, military and SES will check that they are where they are supposed to be. There has been discussion about ankle tracking bands but so far that hasn't happened. If people aren't where they are supposed to be, they are found and fined.

Businesses (like hotels, restaurants, etc.) can turn people away if they don't have the right paperwork. A group of Queenslanders were "caught" that way last weekend. A local street food festival checked everyone's paperwork before letting them in and they discovered that these Queenslanders were from a "hot spot". They weren't allowed in and I suspect that the authorities were notified. I don't think anyone was fined because the rules had just changed that day and these people claimed not to know.

Here are a couple photos of state border crossings:

6azdpqxgd008.png

kclgyv7dbqxs.png

M in Oz