P90X... starting a new thread...

Options

Replies

• RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Can anyone suggest a heart monitor that shows the amount of calories burned that is accurate ? So many choices and i want to know which one i should be going with.

Polar's are probably your best bet. I have the F6 and absolutely love it!
  • TheBull50
    TheBull50 Posts: 220
    Options
    Can anyone suggest a heart monitor that shows the amount of calories burned that is accurate ? So many choices and i want to know which one i should be going with.

Polar's are probably your best bet. I have the F6 and absolutely love it!

Are they pretty accurate as far as calories go? I bought one the other day and it doesnt seem to be accurate. It was on the goes in your pocket so I am unsure of that being the problem or what.
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I recently bought the F6, and I love it, too. Jess and a whole bunch of other people from all different threads highly recomended it, and I also researched it online. It comes with a chest strap, which is supposed to be much more accurate than just having one that reads your heart rate from your wrist only.

I really recommend getting one-when I used the MFP website to guess how many calories I burned while playing 2 hours of volleyball, it was saying 1700+ calories. When I used my new HRM, it's more along the 900-1000 range. Last night I burned 847 calories while playing volleyball, and I used mine last night, during chest, shoulders, and triceps, ARX, and it said that I burned 418 calories...
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Jess, which do you have?

Yep, I also have the Polar F6. I LOVE it! I got it as a Valentine's Day gift. (but I ordered it for my hubby... :laugh: ) got it at http://www.polardiscount.com When I ordered it, there was a sale for $99 and free 2-day shipping. Not sure if that is still going on or not!
  • TheBull50
    Options
    Jess, which do you have?

Yep, I also have the Polar F6. I LOVE it! I got it as a Valentine's Day gift. (but I ordered it for my hubby... :laugh: ) got it at http://www.polardiscount.com When I ordered it, there was a sale for $99 and free 2-day shipping. Not sure if that is still going on or not!

I am probally going to get the Polar F4. Are they pretty good at monitoring calories burned? The one I bought the other day does not seem to do well at all. I think it was because it isnt designed for jumping around like P90X demands. Is the Polar one a solid pick?
  • purple120
    purple120 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    ANN - Congrats on your 3 pounds, I know what your mean about it just being water weight but giving you that boost of confidence. I lost 4.5 my first week.

MIMOSA - I take the EAS protien power, and the Pure Protien bars. They were less expensive at Sams, for me.

Thanks for the heart monitor advise, I think I'm going to get the F6. I heard a lot of good reviews about it from different sources.
  • purple120
    purple120 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    :blushing: posted by mistake
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Sandy...Thanks for posting Tony's comments and all the motivation. I

'm with you Purple, I too start yogaX tonight. After reading Sandy's comments, I think I have a better understanding of its purpose. I must admit, i got discouraged when I heard others on the program, say that the Yoga is hard and boring. Now I'm ready to bring it!:explode:

You're welcome! I know I'm in the minority in that I actually love and look forward to yoga, but I do believe in all the good it does. And, I figure if Tony does it and looks that good at 50, well it's good enough for me! :wink:
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Jess, which do you have?

I am probally going to get the Polar F4. Are they pretty good at monitoring calories burned? The one I bought the other day does not seem to do well at all. I think it was because it isnt designed for jumping around like P90X demands. Is the Polar one a solid pick?

I also have a Polar F6 and love it. As long as you input your personal information, it's about as accurate as you can get. It's really easy to set-up and use, as well. I thought that I would hate the chest strap, but I really don't even notice it during the workout.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I agree with the polar. If you are only using it at home/outside you should be fine with the F4, F6 has "ownzone" or something to block cross transmitting from other heart rate monitors in a gym (or any other HRM within 3 feet - I think that's the range anyway)

It's very solid. If the chest strap is tight enough, it shouldn't slide down. I just tuck it under my bra line.

I'm off to do ARX:tongue:
  • TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Here's a site for you to look at when you're really sick of Yoga-X :)

Or if you need some new move ideas to add on to it.

http://youwillnotbelieve.typepad.com/ywnb_the_blog/star-wars-yoga/
  • tracy24
    tracy24 Posts: 188
    Options
    i didnt get to post last nite but day 5 legs and back done will have to do abx tonite, i also checked out polardiscout.com and i like the f6 hrm also 109.00 so hopefully will get that next week:smile:
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Along the same lines of "Kenpo is too easy", I was supposed to have X Stretch last night. Nowhere near enough tempo for me so I just hit my elliptical for some HIIT for 30 minutes.

Core syn tonight, which I'm looking forward to and yoga tomorrow. After that I'm on to week 9 which I'm really pumped for.

I will check my weight and bodyfat measurements tomorrow before heading into the home stretch. I dropped another pant size (which makes 4 pant sizes in almost 8 weeks) this week.

Keep on bringing it, folks !!!
  • annhjk
    Options
    Along the same lines of "Kenpo is too easy", I was supposed to have X Stretch last night. Nowhere near enough tempo for me so I just hit my elliptical for some HIIT for 30 minutes.

Core syn tonight, which I'm looking forward to and yoga tomorrow. After that I'm on to week 9 which I'm really pumped for.

I will check my weight and bodyfat measurements tomorrow before heading into the home stretch. I dropped another pant size (which makes 4 pant sizes in almost 8 weeks) this week.

Keep on bringing it, folks !!!

Way to go! I can't wait to see results like that. It makes sticking to the diet a lot easier when I see the results on the scale (and in my clothes).

I'm only in week 1 so I'm trying to figure out what my body can handle and figure out the moves. Since we got ours midweek, I'm going to do yoga tonight too (did kenpo this am), then legs/back tomorrow. Next week I might see how I can add some running in. I have a 10K I want to do mother's day weekend.
  • TheBull50
    Options
    as tony as " Ab Ripper X ... I HATE IT, but I LOVE IT"

I think that is really how I feel. Maybe it is just my personality but I hate that I can't do the full 25 reps each time. I am doing anywhere from 15-20. I guess looking at the glass half full would say at least I am doing 15-20 :ohwell:
  • tracy24
    tracy24 Posts: 188
    Options
    bull50 good job!
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    I am happy to report that on the second round of legs I am no where near as sore. It sure is an incredible booty workout. I'm just so greatful I can move today especially knowing I have a long run tomorrow=)

Rest day for me- probably will do stretch later
  • annhjk
    Options
    I am happy to report that on the second round of legs I am no where near as sore. It sure is an incredible booty workout. I'm just so greatful I can move today especially knowing I have a long run tomorrow=)

Rest day for me- probably will do stretch later

how often are you running? Distance? Are you doubling up with p90x or replacing some cardio with a running? Just curious. I'm thinking about doing legs and an easy run tomorrow (maybe work the muscles a little bit so they aren't so sore). I have a 10K mother's day and would like to keep running (but there goes muscle confusion if I do - I can get a lower heart rate running at 6.2, then walking (for a cool down anyway).
  • TheBull50
    Options
    hey guys.. . .

Is a kcal the same thing as a calorie? I see all these heart rate monitors and they use kcals. I brought back the crappy one and am going to get a Polar one today.
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    how often are you running? Distance? Are you doubling up with p90x or replacing some cardio with a running? Just curious. I'm thinking about doing legs and an easy run tomorrow (maybe work the muscles a little bit so they aren't so sore). I have a 10K mother's day and would like to keep running (but there goes muscle confusion if I do - I can get a lower heart rate running at 6.2, then walking (for a cool down anyway).

I have a crazy schedule. I am training for a marathon and then a century. This is how my schedule looked last week. Its not the best way to train but its what I can do right now:

sat-9 mile run (was going to skip kenpo but still had more in me and did it and loved it)
    sun- 30 mile bike ride+chest back & abs
    mon-substitute pylo and got in 12 mile run
    tues-shoulder arms/ab ripper + 3.25 mile run
    wed-4 mile run + 45 min of yoga (that was tough)
    thurs- legs/back; I was due for a 4 mile run but my legs were done. I opted for an easy 4 mile walk
    fri-rest....ahhh.

I totaly think if you sub in 3 run days one of those being a long run day and skipped pylo and kenpo it would still be a very rounded program. But what do I know=)
    Best wishes on your 10k!