WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    cj3teach ... welcome!
    Allie ... you are in my daily prayers!
    Pip ... congratulations on the new home!
    Heather ... my sympathy on the loss of someone who meant so much at one time ...
    Fae ... glad you got the vaccine and nice to see you posting!
    Chris ... happy birthday!
    Mary ... I am thinking about you and hope all is well
    Kelly ... my younger son has talked to me about those gaming competitions. Times are changing.

Not much to add to the conversation today. Trying to get back on track with multiple areas of my life ... as much as Covid will allow. Older son got his first dose of the vaccine under the 1A grouping (he's usually a group home resident ... living with us during the pandemic ... with multiple disabilities). It will be a while for my husband and I. Husband has 9 more days left until retirement and that has been taking up a lot of mental energy as we plan. I will still be working part-time ... at least until we get everything sorted out. I have a few projects I would like to fund without touching savings. Football is big in my house and our team ... the Buffalo Bills ... won last night's playoff game!

Have a great day!
    Beth near Buffalo
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Leg much better today. I was lucky it seems to have been a muscle strain from my fall. I did put some extra rubber treads on steps I fell on.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💜❤️💙💚🤎🧡🖤🤍
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
    Uuu
  • csofled
    Options
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    Cheri

835df11c8jbw.png

Thank you!!

Cheri
    🌞😁🧡
  • csofled
    Options
    Thanks for all the birthday wishes!!!
    Having a wonderful birthday!!

You guys are the best!!

Cheri
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :)Betsy, Thank you for telling me about your adventure getting the vaccine. I have infinite patience so when I saw the porta potties on Blake Avenue ( we went and looked on our way home from grocery pick up at QFC) I figured that there would a restroom I could walk to. When I read your letter to Jake, he began to have doubts about the event. We'll revisit it on Monday afternoon and decide what to do.

<3 Barbie
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: yesterday: type hymns, Shadow to powerline, Post Office, BiMart & Freddie’s. So far today: Livestream church, BP,
    Bonus: yesterday: veg prep, made tuna salad, sat with Joe through two TV programs. So far today: 40 mins vacuuming, 33 mins cleaning,
    Get to do: take BP, zoom congregational meeting, dogs to powerline, call S, bottle return, print minutes, deliver minutes to Howard, mail minutes to attendees, grant info followup to Bill and ask for Ronda’s email address, research effective conflict resolution, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 20, submit grant pics and receipts, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, Sleeping with the Devil, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Monday: call Freddie’s to follow up rx, Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments, meet Susan and Ronda at fire hall and show which fields on the new form need info from call sheets, ask Howard and Hill about roster numbering system.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Happier January:
    16: Get outside and notice five things that are beautiful: Really needed this as spent all Friday in the office, lashed to the laptop. Then forgot to notice. 5 things that I know are beautiful between here and the powerline, Shadow, the sea, the sky, the redwood and the fir I’m trying to liberate from the salal,
    17: Contribute positively to a good cause or your community:
    Annual congregation meeting not zoomed. Perhaps fairest since not all (maybe even most) remote congregants are not zoom savvy. My feelings are a little bruised but I’ll get over it.
    SuziQ :love: hearing about your dollar store foam sheet puzzle table. The other was almost 20 lbs? Think you may have invented a little $$maker. Good luck! Your friend’s flexible approach to meeting plans would drive me right around the bend. I’d start proposing a time just because…
    Julie finding the old poetry book was a great reward for decluttering! Sounds like your sister and Rebecca’s middle sister were cast from the same mold.
    Kylia agree about being more productive when busy… up to a point. Sometimes when I am deeply in a project, I feel the quality is high, but the quantity low. That’s when it’s time to get up and take a walk.
    Rita March 1 is me. Would you like to zoom a birthday visit? How frustrating about the DDS.
    Margaret was going to ask about Drew and booties but you already answered. Of all my dogs, only Robbie every accepted booties, and he lost one the second week. I just hate icy sidewalks. Icy roads too.
    Allie how confusing! Second surgery, the nope transplant, then nope second surgery. Is there a patient advocate at the hospital that can help you sort out all this conflicting information? Prayers and ((hugs))
    Heather :cry: ((hugs)) and thankful for his wife’s kindness.
    Pip con VERY gratulations! How exciting, when do you close?
    Ginny “Medicine cannot factor in the power of the human spirit” You are so very very right. My BFF was in a terrible car accident, lost a lot of blood, fractured pelvis, left thigh, right arm and thumb, there were other inner injuriesbut they’re lost in the mists of time. ER staff thought she wouldn’t make it due to the loss of blood. She did. Doctors thought she’d be in ICU for a year and maybe never walk again. She was out of ICU in weeks, out of hospital and walking in months. It didn’t hurt that while she was in ICU one of us (her mother, her friend Ray, or I) were with her every moment. We divided the day into shifts. Some of the nights were really hard, she was in a lot of pain and one transfusion was especially agonizing. It really helped that we all believed we could share good energy with her by running our hands just above her injured parts. That belief allowed us to walk in with a positive attitude and I’m sure that was contagious.
    Penny I’d’ve been a little nervous to be that close to those antlers. Way too nervous to take such a great pic.
    Barbie that drone video really tells the tale. Are the federally promised vaccines coming in to Washington state? Believe that Oregon has been told there are no more for now. Sympathetic ear vs instant fix. Ah yes. If you find a way to encourage the latter instead of the former, please share it with me. I find my knee jerk reaction is to figure out how to fix instead of really listening :’(
    Thanks Terri! I’ll try to “let him vent” at least a little while… ;)
    Belated best birthday wishes to Cheri (and thanks to Karen!)
    Lisa would love to hear about how you connected with the various companies who’ve contracted for your writing services.
    @dandl1986 in OH, that’s an amazing drop in sugar levels. Well done!!!
    Welcome @cj3teach in OK! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called? Love the pics.
    Luci in WNC so good to see you post! You’ve been missed, but I can sure see why :love:
    Kate thanks for the Hairy Bikers website… I think. My mouth is watering ;}
    Betsy 30,000 steps? WOW!

Been sittin’ way way way too long. Time to get moving!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    January: leaner/stronger/kinder than December.
    daily: sit with Joe: 16, weigh/wii: 11/36 this am, steps>5592=6364 yay vits=15 log=16 CI<CO=14 CI<250<CO=13 Tumble 5=14 Shadow 5=14 mfp=16 outside=16 up hill=14
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3 =2 rx=2 dance=4 clean 60 mins=6.5 packwalk=2, wt=1/3:144.2, 1/10: 142. 1/17: 142.4
    mnthly: board mtg=1 , grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=9 play=12 sew=1 waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Interesting article ... a few of those are good choices, I think. Photography, languages, getting fit. Depends what kind of travel you're interested in doing if/when we can travel again!

Travel skills: 10 things you can learn while waiting for international travel to resume
    https://www.traveller.com.au/travel-skills-10-things-you-can-learn-while-waiting-for-international-travel-to-resume-h1tcry

"So, you're grounded right now. No international travel. Even crossing state borders seems dicey.

You could spend this enforced layover wallowing in your own wanderlust-driven misery, which would be reasonable. Or, you could take the opportunity to better yourself, to gain new skills and qualifications to ensure that the next time you leave Australia's shores you'll get far more out of the experience than you would have before.

This enforced break is the ideal time to "upskill", to learn to do things you previously couldn't, to open up new ways of seeing, new ways of doing, and new ways of appreciating."

Next "getting to know you" question ...

If you could travel, where would you like to go? You can name a few places if you want.

How would you like to travel?

Backpackers style - public transportation & hostels?
    Cycletouring - bicycles & campgrounds?
    Luxury - car rental & hotels?
    Some combination?
    Other?
    Machka in Oz

My husband and I did a lot of travelling up to early 2018 ... and then it all came to a screeching halt.

If we could travel again the first thing I'd do is to fly to the mainland and see how my husband did with that. There are several places I'd like to see again, and I'd love to do at least one of the rail journeys: https://journeybeyondrail.com.au/

Then perhaps New Zealand. I would love to spend a couple weeks there.

Then we would give Canada a go ... to see my family. I expect I'd have to create an itinerary there with the shortest times in the air as possible.

If he was OK with travelling, our list included travel by air, train and bicycle:

Japan - again but more
    South Korea
    UK - again but more
    France - again but more
    Switzerland - again but more
    Italy
    Serbia
    Greece
    Romania
    The train across Russia - Trans-Siberian Railway

And then perhaps without the bicycles various other spots around the world.

If/when we move to Canada, I'd like to move to the lower mainland BC/Vancouver Island area, but I would like to spend some time exploring Quebec and the Maritimes.
    M in Oz
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- I am curious about your DH's not wanting to travel. Is there a health reason behind it? Or is it a new fear/anxiety since his brain injury? I wonder, as COVID restraints lift, if you are able to take little jaunts and gradually widen the adventure territory; if he might grow more comfortable with it. I wonder if reminiscing about some of your old adventures might ease the anxiety? Sorry if I pry or assume; just my brain thinking about you. <3

KJ (Kelly)

He wants to travel!

But because of Worker's Compensation law, we have not been able to leave Tasmania without penalty since 2018 and for the foreseeable future, so here we stay.

We do travel around Tasmania a few times a year and that's mostly OK.

However, because of his brain injury, he suffers debilitating fatigue so we have to plan everything around giving him time for a nap in the afternoons. Even long drives wear him out ... if it were me, I'd fall asleep but he feels like he needs to be on the alert.

He also likes routine much more now whereas I like to just go with the flow while on holiday, so we're trying to work out a compromise on that.

In the past, we would plan a trip around Tassie that would have maybe 2 days in each spot. Get to a spot, do one thing, go on to the next, etc. Now we stay in a spot for several days so that we can establish a bit of routine.

We have been warned about air travel, that he will likely struggle with it. Being cooped up, the changes in air pressure, information overload in the airports, dealing with people, etc.

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I am amazed that your daffodils are about to bloom. They are one of my favorite flowers. They seem happy and make people happy. :flowerforyou:

Cjt3each: Welcome! :bigsmile:

LuciBThinner: Welcome back! :star:

Betsy: For what it is worth, I think you made the right choice when you decided to be vaccinated. I’m a bit envious. We aren’t going to be able to get vaccinated for a while, yet. :star:

Cheri: Happy Birthday, you sweet young thing! :wink:

(((Allie))): I’m sure the hospital is doing its best, but its best has not been good enough for your comfort. I hope your newest room is more pleasant. :heart:

*The day is pretty outside and I’m enjoying quiet time with DH. I am also having a bit of pity party for myself.

Here are my three wishes:

*The ability to go to yoga.

*The freedom to go out to the stable to seem my friend and Arrow

*I want to have our vaccinations sooner rather than later. According to the governor’s site, that may not happen until sometime in February for people older than 70.

Katla
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Other- vacuum and dust, 1hr 12min 11sec, = 327c
    Walk 2 meet Kirby n son- 30.38min, 81ahr, 3.10ap, 1.57mi= 169c
    Strava app = 191c
    Zwift bike trainer = 41.18min, slow easy ride, 17.5amph, 515elev, 116ahr, 143mhr, 12.05mi= 295c
    Strava app = 321c

Total cal 791
  • pipcd34
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: yesterday: type hymns, Shadow to powerline, Post Office, BiMart & Freddie’s. So far today: Livestream church, BP,
    Bonus: yesterday: veg prep, made tuna salad, sat with Joe through two TV programs. So far today: 40 mins vacuuming, 33 mins cleaning,
    Get to do: take BP, zoom congregational meeting, dogs to powerline, call S, bottle return, print minutes, deliver minutes to Howard, mail minutes to attendees, grant info followup to Bill and ask for Ronda’s email address, research effective conflict resolution, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 20, submit grant pics and receipts, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, Sleeping with the Devil, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Monday: call Freddie’s to follow up rx, Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments, meet Susan and Ronda at fire hall and show which fields on the new form need info from call sheets, ask Howard and Hill about roster numbering system.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Happier January:
    16: Get outside and notice five things that are beautiful: Really needed this as spent all Friday in the office, lashed to the laptop. Then forgot to notice. 5 things that I know are beautiful between here and the powerline, Shadow, the sea, the sky, the redwood and the fir I’m trying to liberate from the salal,
    17: Contribute positively to a good cause or your community:
    Annual congregation meeting not zoomed. Perhaps fairest since not all (maybe even most) remote congregants are not zoom savvy. My feelings are a little bruised but I’ll get over it.
    SuziQ :love: hearing about your dollar store foam sheet puzzle table. The other was almost 20 lbs? Think you may have invented a little $$maker. Good luck! Your friend’s flexible approach to meeting plans would drive me right around the bend. I’d start proposing a time just because…
    Julie finding the old poetry book was a great reward for decluttering! Sounds like your sister and Rebecca’s middle sister were cast from the same mold.
    Kylia agree about being more productive when busy… up to a point. Sometimes when I am deeply in a project, I feel the quality is high, but the quantity low. That’s when it’s time to get up and take a walk.
    Rita March 1 is me. Would you like to zoom a birthday visit? How frustrating about the DDS.
    Margaret was going to ask about Drew and booties but you already answered. Of all my dogs, only Robbie every accepted booties, and he lost one the second week. I just hate icy sidewalks. Icy roads too.
    Allie how confusing! Second surgery, the nope transplant, then nope second surgery. Is there a patient advocate at the hospital that can help you sort out all this conflicting information? Prayers and ((hugs))
    Heather :cry: ((hugs)) and thankful for his wife’s kindness.
    Pip con VERY gratulations! How exciting, when do you close?
    Ginny “Medicine cannot factor in the power of the human spirit” You are so very very right. My BFF was in a terrible car accident, lost a lot of blood, fractured pelvis, left thigh, right arm and thumb, there were other inner injuriesbut they’re lost in the mists of time. ER staff thought she wouldn’t make it due to the loss of blood. She did. Doctors thought she’d be in ICU for a year and maybe never walk again. She was out of ICU in weeks, out of hospital and walking in months. It didn’t hurt that while she was in ICU one of us (her mother, her friend Ray, or I) were with her every moment. We divided the day into shifts. Some of the nights were really hard, she was in a lot of pain and one transfusion was especially agonizing. It really helped that we all believed we could share good energy with her by running our hands just above her injured parts. That belief allowed us to walk in with a positive attitude and I’m sure that was contagious.
    Penny I’d’ve been a little nervous to be that close to those antlers. Way too nervous to take such a great pic.
    Barbie that drone video really tells the tale. Are the federally promised vaccines coming in to Washington state? Believe that Oregon has been told there are no more for now. Sympathetic ear vs instant fix. Ah yes. If you find a way to encourage the latter instead of the former, please share it with me. I find my knee jerk reaction is to figure out how to fix instead of really listening :’(
    Thanks Terri! I’ll try to “let him vent” at least a little while… ;)
    Belated best birthday wishes to Cheri (and thanks to Karen!)
    Lisa would love to hear about how you connected with the various companies who’ve contracted for your writing services.
    @dandl1986 in OH, that’s an amazing drop in sugar levels. Well done!!!
    Welcome @cj3teach in OK! Would you let us know what you’d like to be called? Love the pics.
    Luci in WNC so good to see you post! You’ve been missed, but I can sure see why :love:
    Kate thanks for the Hairy Bikers website… I think. My mouth is watering ;}
    Betsy 30,000 steps? WOW!

Been sittin’ way way way too long. Time to get moving!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    January: leaner/stronger/kinder than December.
    daily: sit with Joe: 16, weigh/wii: 11/36 this am, steps>5592=6364 yay vits=15 log=16 CI<CO=14 CI<250<CO=13 Tumble 5=14 Shadow 5=14 mfp=16 outside=16 up hill=14
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3 =2 rx=2 dance=4 clean 60 mins=6.5 packwalk=2, wt=1/3:144.2, 1/10: 142. 1/17: 142.4
    mnthly: board mtg=1 , grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF=9 play=12 sew=1 waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW

I dunno, won’t take as long cuz we’re paying cash
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :)Flea, one of my neighbors in her 90's had food delivered by Schwan's and she loved it.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did Kathy Smith’s Ultimate Sculpt DVD. Work tomorrow so no formal exercise, just steps

Happy Birthday to Cheri

SuziQ – I like to know in advance about plans, too. The main reason is so that I can plan what time I have to leave to meet someone etc.

Denise called early this morning. When I asked her when she was coming down she said “I don’t know” which to me translates into “never”. I’m just sad now. I miss so much about PJ, but there is no way I want to move back up there.

Barbie – I, too, love getting things done early in the morning. However, I’ve noticed that more and more stores are opening later in the morning.

KJ – when do kids typically start drinking from a cup and not a sippy-cup?

WooHoo…according to MFP I have an 8 day streak!!!!!

Cj3teach – welcome! Congrats on the cancer-free. That’s awesome Come back often, you have a lot in common with the ladies on this thread. What a lovely family you have!

Lucy NC – thanks for popping in. Iris is adorable. I’m so sorry about the other members of your family and friends

Kylia – good for you having that egg burrito instead of the candy

Betsy WA – so wonderful that you got the shot. Could you have asked for any better anniversary present?

Michele NC