January 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options
    Because it was dark and snowing I stayed in my neighborhood and looped around, but when I tried to pass my house to add a little bit more at like 1.94 miles Stella was not having it. She refused to go past the driveway so I put her in the house and did the rest on my own.
    Great job on doing option C. So funny that Stella refused to go past your house! They can be stubborn and so smart and, when they put the brakes on, there is no moving them.

I don't blame you @kgirlhart . Cold rain is not fun in my book either.

@Camaramandy648 I hope you find the right job for you quickly. You are doing great and have a great attitude. Prayers and hugs.

@marisap2010 That does sound like it would take a long time to get everyone out on the course, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do if you want to have an in person race. I hope they are allowed to go ahead with it. I'm sure if you decide to run it that you will do great - just finishing is great in my opinion. Which AF base is it?
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    It was snowing when I woke up this morning so I decided to wait until lunch to get a short run in. I'm working from home this week so that's doable. I ran a slow 5k. I wore my trail shoes because I wasn't sure if the road was clear. They don't have as much support as my road shoes and I could tell it. Turns out road shoes would have been fine as the road was mostly clear.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman Hahaha about the 3 branches moving. Cold combined with wind really aren't' my friend either. Sorry you got dizzy in the middle of the run. At least you know it was probably because you hadn't eaten.

@katharmonic Why doesn't anyone else want to use your treadmill? Is it "too fancy" for them. My display messes up sometimes. If I manually change the incline, it magically fixes it, for a while anyway. I unplug it every day I use it, so that is not my problem. You're doing great.

@Avidkeo Yeah for making it up that hill! Congratulations. Sounds like you have a great weekend planned also. Good luck with the run and Marshalling.

@Faebert Glad you able to run. Hope the coughing subsides soon. It's annoying, if nothing else.

@Teresa502 Just had a cold rain here this morning. Glad you could wait until later to get out for your run and that the roads weren't slick.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 has started a thought for me. I only have trail shoes (my current routes are 50% trails). Should I consider road shoes for organised road events?
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 has started a thought for me. I only have trail shoes (my current routes are 50% trails). Should I consider road shoes for organised road events?

Absolutely. Road shoes usually have more cushioning for the harder surface and a slicker sole which simply translates to more speed!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Depends... for road races you might be happier and faster with some lighter weight, less luggy shoes. Your new shoes look like the lugs are pretty big, doesn’t it feel a bit rough on roads?
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Why doesn't anyone else want to use your treadmill? Is it "too fancy" for them. My display messes up sometimes. If I manually change the incline, it magically fixes it, for a while anyway. I unplug it every day I use it, so that is not my problem. You're doing great.
    @quilteryoyo People don't use it because it's upstairs in this little lobby area of the gym off the reception desk rather than down on the floor with everything else. I think they think it's just for display/demonstration purposes (which I think it originally was) and it's not really available to use or they feel strange being up there basically alone. Whatever it is, I'm fine with having it mostly to myself - my trainer is the only one I sometimes have to compete with.

@theMrWobbly agreed that road shoes are going to be much more comfortable and perform better for hard surfaces. I hate wearing my trail shoes on the road. And it wears down their tread.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options

I think you should.
    I do all my running on roads, but I even have separate shoes for training (sturdy and a little heavy) and racing ( lighter with less drop).
    Wonder if racing will ever come back.