Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why Is Food "Addiction" So Controversial?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    ^^^ this

And to add to it - I can happily eat my daily calories in cheese (and have done so)... I have also thrown out cheese because it has turned into a science experiment in the cheese drawer (green growing cheese, blech!). If it was truly addictive, the second part of that sentence should NEVER happen.

Curious. Do you like blue cheese? I’ve thrown out blue cheese because it got too blue. Lol
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited January 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    gigius72 wrote: »
    Lots of people rob grocery stores to get their cheese fix.

That can be easily proven (it was also proven through MRI). Take a person who eats a lot of cheese and keep them 1 month without dairy, yet living cheese in their refrigerator.

Yeah, pleasure centers in the brain light up on fMRI when contemplating tasty food, in receptive individuals. Also for things like petting cute kittens. Definitive: Petting kittens is addictive.

I eat cheese daily. Pretty sure I could go a month with some in the fridge, but not eat it. Maybe not if it was a fully ripe well-made brie, or Cypress Grove Humboldt Fog, but y'know, just general cheese, sure, no problem. No dairy at all for a month? Hard for me to get enough protein given current habits, but as long as I get to eat anything else I want, probably could. Cheese in the fridge wouldn't make it harder, except the ones I mentioned. (<= this paragraph is just joking around.)

What's being ignored here is that when people have sufficient motivation, they quit cheese ALL the time. Vegans exist and we managed to do it without checking ourselves into rehab centers. I also know some people who have stopped eating cheese due to various allergy/intolerance issues, they also all managed to do it by deciding "No more cheese for me."

That most people eat cheese is not evidence that it's the equivalent of Oxycontin, it's just an indicator that for most people it's a tasty, easily obtained, affordable, and satisfying food that they have no real reason to give up.

When I was teenager I used to be drunk every Friday Saturday and Sunday quit cold turkey, no rehab. I smoked 30 years almost two packs a day... No rehab. Joints? No rehab. So they are not addictive either.
    Being addicted to something it doesn't mean all your D2 receptors are gone. There are levels of dependence and they are different for everyone.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    ^^^ this

And to add to it - I can happily eat my daily calories in cheese (and have done so)... I have also thrown out cheese because it has turned into a science experiment in the cheese drawer (green growing cheese, blech!). If it was truly addictive, the second part of that sentence should NEVER happen.

Curious. Do you like blue cheese? I’ve thrown out blue cheese because it got too blue. Lol

Yes, I do like blue cheese... never bought enough for it to go bad, tho.
  • qhob_89
    qhob_89 Posts: 105 Member
    ^^^ this

Yes, I do like blue cheese... never bought enough for it to go bad, tho.

Never heard of anyone buying enough heroin for it to go had either. 🤔 good enough science for me!
  • gigius72

That can be easily proven (it was also proven through MRI). Take a person who eats a lot of cheese and keep them 1 month without dairy, yet living cheese in their refrigerator.

Yeah, pleasure centers in the brain light up on fMRI when contemplating tasty food, in receptive individuals. Also for things like petting cute kittens. Definitive: Petting kittens is addictive.

I eat cheese daily. Pretty sure I could go a month with some in the fridge, but not eat it. Maybe not if it was a fully ripe well-made brie, or Cypress Grove Humboldt Fog, but y'know, just general cheese, sure, no problem. No dairy at all for a month? Hard for me to get enough protein given current habits, but as long as I get to eat anything else I want, probably could. Cheese in the fridge wouldn't make it harder, except the ones I mentioned. (<= this paragraph is just joking around.)

What's being ignored here is that when people have sufficient motivation, they quit cheese ALL the time. Vegans exist and we managed to do it without checking ourselves into rehab centers. I also know some people who have stopped eating cheese due to various allergy/intolerance issues, they also all managed to do it by deciding "No more cheese for me."

That most people eat cheese is not evidence that it's the equivalent of Oxycontin, it's just an indicator that for most people it's a tasty, easily obtained, affordable, and satisfying food that they have no real reason to give up.

When I was teenager I used to be drunk every Friday Saturday and Sunday quit cold turkey, no rehab. I smoked 30 years almost two packs a day... No rehab. Joints? No rehab. So they are not addictive either.
    Being addicted to something it doesn't mean all your D2 receptors are gone. There are levels of dependence and they are different for everyone.

That a substance is addictive doesn't mean that every user will necessarily become addicted (there are a lot of people who casually drink, yet alcoholism is real). That someone is addicted doesn't necessarily mean that rehab is required to quit in all instances (I think we all know people who managed to quit using a substance they were addicted to without formal rehab). The point is that NOBODY goes to rehab for cheese ever, yet many people manage to eliminate it from their diet or moderate their consumption.

You're making a really bold claim about cheese and there just isn't evidence to support that cheese addiction is an actual thing.

You mean evidence that you or me are addicted? No. Like I was never addicted on joints. Evidence that it can be addictive? Yes. (I'll keep trying to find the study lol there are so many on nutrition). But this sums up chemically how it works.
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/is-cheese-addictive#your-brain-on-cheese
  • gigius72

That a substance is addictive doesn't mean that every user will necessarily become addicted (there are a lot of people who casually drink, yet alcoholism is real). That someone is addicted doesn't necessarily mean that rehab is required to quit in all instances (I think we all know people who managed to quit using a substance they were addicted to without formal rehab). The point is that NOBODY goes to rehab for cheese ever, yet many people manage to eliminate it from their diet or moderate their consumption.

You're making a really bold claim about cheese and there just isn't evidence to support that cheese addiction is an actual thing.

Lol I only find articles describing it. I really can't find the study anymore. I think this is more complete (yes I didn't read it all lol)
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/casomorphin
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

You mean evidence that you or me are addicted? No. Like I was never addicted on joints. Evidence that it can be addictive? Yes. (I'll keep trying to find the study lol there are so many on nutrition). But this sums up chemically how it works.

so given this logical fallacy every single substance and thing on the planet is addictive...glad we cleared that up...
  • gigius72
    ndj1979 wrote: »

so given this logical fallacy every single substance and thing on the planet is addictive...glad we cleared that up...

Yes when they act as opioids.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/casomorphin
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

that link has about 20 different studies in it. Is there one in particular that you are pointing to, or are you just trying to post links to make the absurdity of your claims more relevant?
  • gigius72

that link has about 20 different studies in it. Is there one in particular that you are pointing to, or are you just trying to post links to make the absurdity of your claims more relevant?

Lol I found it. They removed the result. But it explains in details why they did the study.
    Wonder why they removed the result... Someone paid for it? 😂😂😂😂😂
    https://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/study/NCT00360919
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

Dependence is not addiction. Habit is not dependence.

Not necessarily.

That's kind of the point of quite a few posts in this thread, actually.

Yup.