What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I dislike... no, hate is the right word... mustard: yellow mustard, spicy mustard, Dijon mustard, Grey Poupon (something did!), any kind of mustard...
    Even a dab of mustard the size of a mustard seed is too much for me!

I could eat it by the spoon!

We have deli brown mustard, yellow mustard, horseradish mustard, and two kinds of Dijon mustard.

We like mustard.

I hate honey mustard though.

Also dill mustard, for me. I really love dill mustard (have only found one brand, though). I should probably put dill mustard on the "Underrated Foods" thread. 😆

Oooh I need to look for that. Love me some Dill.

@nicsflyingcircus, this is the one I've been buying locally. It's not a fancy brand, but I think it's quite tasty:

https://www.silverspringfoods.com/products/dill-mustard/

dill_9_5oz_400x550.png
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    gigius72 wrote: »
    I think this may be unpopular....

Green salads are best eaten at the END of the meal instead of before or during the main course.

That is actually no scientific value.
    It's a dieting trick that came out a long time ago. The idea is that by filling up with fibers and water, you will reduce the hunger and thus eat less high caloric foods from other dishes.
    That depends on the salad though. If your salad is bathing in dressing you are much better eating the other dishes first 😂😂😂

But I see it!! I make the salads for my family very low calorie. When they have it last they don’t even finish their salads, when they have it first they don’t finish their other meal which is higher in calories. I am just talking about what I’ve seen in my experience I know it’s different for everyone but it drives me nuts. Then they complain they can’t lose weight when they could simply eat less calories by having the salad first instead. Of course if you plan to eat the whole meal it doesn’t matter but my family always leave food on their plates 🙄. Always the salad unless they eat it first.

I know it works, it's a great way to eat actually.
    If you are counting calories it makes no sense, because you prepare your whole meal at those preset calories. But if you are not counting calories, that is a great way to eat.
    I don't count calories, and that is how I eat everyday.

I've been calorie counting for nearly 6 years now, logged most days in that time.

It's vanishingly rare for me to "prepare my whole meal at preset calories". Normally, I prepare it (spur of the moment, not mostly a recipe-follower), eat it, then log it afterward.

Maybe, since you don't count calories, you have misunderstandings about the range of ways people do it, in practice? (I'm not denying that some people pre-log. Many do, I believe. Not all. Far from.)

Also, like @SuzySunshine99 wrote, people who calorie count can have food preferences and habits for reasons completely unrelated to calorie counts, too. It's not like calorie counting is some kind of obsession that universally takes over people's whole lives and 100% mindshare. (Financial budgeting doesn't do that: Why would calorie budgeting?)

I guess we are different. When I used to count calories I would weigh food to have the exact calories before cooking. I would do that every meal. My dietician gave me the quantities and I would cook them.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    I think pork chops and pork tenderloin are gross
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options

My favorite food and all time go-to.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Those chocolate cakes on the other thread just don't do anything for me.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Green salads are best eaten at the END of the meal instead of before or during the main course.

+1 .. we also eat our salad at the end

I think it is a European thing (I'm Cdn but my husband is European)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

They are a staple in my house. Nearly every week we have either grilled pork chops or roasted pork loin.
    So important to cook it correctly...overcooked pork is the worst.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options

I don't think they are gross, but they are on the bottom of my list. I'm just not a huge fan of them. Even when they are cooked correctly (aka not cooked until shoe leather). Yet for some reason on my last trip to Costco I bought a big pack of super thick center cut chops. Waste of money for me, though I am trying to get through them.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

Yeah...you know, I like cake, but not chocolate on top of chocolate on top of chocolate. It's too much of the same thing.
    I prefer chocolate as ONE element of the cake...such as vanilla cake with chocolate frosting and a caramel sauce.
    Or chocolate cake with vanilla frosting and a berry coulee.
    Some sort of contrast is good so it's not all one note.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

Yeah...you know, I like cake, but not chocolate on top of chocolate on top of chocolate. It's too much of the same thing.
    I prefer chocolate as ONE element of the cake...such as vanilla cake with chocolate frosting and a caramel sauce.

Same here !!!!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options

Same here !!!!

Agree...needs texture - that's why I love nuts/dried fruit and chocolate, etc., 'cause, I do absolutely love chocolate!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

That is actually no scientific value.
    It's a dieting trick that came out a long time ago. The idea is that by filling up with fibers and water, you will reduce the hunger and thus eat less high caloric foods from other dishes.
    That depends on the salad though. If your salad is bathing in dressing you are much better eating the other dishes first 😂😂😂

But I see it!! I make the salads for my family very low calorie. When they have it last they don’t even finish their salads, when they have it first they don’t finish their other meal which is higher in calories. I am just talking about what I’ve seen in my experience I know it’s different for everyone but it drives me nuts. Then they complain they can’t lose weight when they could simply eat less calories by having the salad first instead. Of course if you plan to eat the whole meal it doesn’t matter but my family always leave food on their plates 🙄. Always the salad unless they eat it first.

I know it works, it's a great way to eat actually.
    If you are counting calories it makes no sense, because you prepare your whole meal at those preset calories. But if you are not counting calories, that is a great way to eat.
    I don't count calories, and that is how I eat everyday.

I've been calorie counting for nearly 6 years now, logged most days in that time.

It's vanishingly rare for me to "prepare my whole meal at preset calories". Normally, I prepare it (spur of the moment, not mostly a recipe-follower), eat it, then log it afterward.

Maybe, since you don't count calories, you have misunderstandings about the range of ways people do it, in practice? (I'm not denying that some people pre-log. Many do, I believe. Not all. Far from.)

Also, like @SuzySunshine99 wrote, people who calorie count can have food preferences and habits for reasons completely unrelated to calorie counts, too. It's not like calorie counting is some kind of obsession that universally takes over people's whole lives and 100% mindshare. (Financial budgeting doesn't do that: Why would calorie budgeting?)

I guess we are different. When I used to count calories I would weigh food to have the exact calories before cooking. I would do that every meal. My dietician gave me the quantities and I would cook them.

Personally, when logging, I log as I'm cooking, but I don't adjust portions (I have a pretty good sense of what combinations will be in the ballpark for my day as a whole). If I accidentally eat more at an earlier meal than I expected, I will intentionally eat fewer cals at a later meal.

When I started logging I had already been losing weight and realized that I was actually eating less than I should be based on my own knowledge about how to cut cals (basically portion control and reducing added fat plus cutting out snacking which I tend to find an easy way to rack up cals but not satiating for me). Using MFP, I realized I could be less restrictive, and added back in reasonable portions of some higher cal foods (dressings with olive oil, cheese, more nuts and seeds, olives, so on). But I never worked from a pre set diet. That wouldn't work for me at all, as I would dislike it -- I like to be able to wing it when cooking.
  • lemurcat2
    edited January 2021
    Options
    more often than not, salads ARE the main meal for me.

That's how I eat most of my salads too, and during warmer weather I tend to have one for lunch daily. I still eat them during winter, but I tend to have a ton of soups or stews as a meal instead (which typically contain many of the same ingredients, just cooked instead). I remember you aren't a soup fan, but I love it, and am obsessed with soups and stews lately.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

They are a staple in my house. Nearly every week we have either grilled pork chops or roasted pork loin.

100% agree with both of these.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

100% agree with both of these.

I actually prefer the chocolate on chocolate combo!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options

Agreed. I still find it weird I can find something *too* chocolately. :)

Also the pics of pepperoni pizza. I get indigestion just looking at them.

(Straight up cheese or hawaiian pizza is ok by me tho.)
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Agreed. I still find it weird I can find something *too* chocolately. :)

(Straight up cheese or hawaiian pizza is ok by me tho.)

Cheese pizza is so bblah imo
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Same here. I don't care for pepperoni or sausage on pizza for the most part. That last pizza pictured was much better, and I like various vegetables on pizza for sure.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    ftapwdhr17ho.png