What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    On the topic of chocolate, I don't like white chocolate and don't see the point in it.
    White chocolate is an oxymoron.
    It has no cocoa, only cocoa butter, and usually not even that! :D

I like peanut butter and potato chip sandwiches.

White “chocolate” is okay as an accent... good for what it is I guess. If it’s good quality
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,100 Member
    Options
    Speaking of moist bread....
    Bread pudding is the WORST dessert ever.

There is a huge range of goodness, when it comes to bread pudding. And it isn't always dessert. There's an artisan baker hereabouts that makes a savory bread pudding with heavy cream, eggs, mushrooms, herbs . . . so rich and delicious, but probably like 250 calories per square inch.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    A favorite lunch from childhood summer days= bologna and cheese sandwhich with doritos in the middle finished off with a nice cold can of big red 😄

Now I would either vomit from the carbonated drink or the bologna would have me in the hospital with my gallbladder falling out. 😲

Also I tried sugar cookie kisses.....it was an awful waste of calories and fat 😢
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

There is a huge range of goodness, when it comes to bread pudding. And it isn't always dessert. There's an artisan baker hereabouts that makes a savory bread pudding with heavy cream, eggs, mushrooms, herbs . . . so rich and delicious, but probably like 250 calories per square inch.

So so true. I remember having a very memorable savory roasted root vegetable one instead of 'dressing' at a Thanksgiving once. So delicious!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

That sounds good. I've had savory bread puddings that I enjoyed in the past.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    Oatmilk is good in theory, but in practice it is garbage. Dare you to read the ingredients3hqj6rlk3gws.png

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Oatmilk is good in theory, but in practice it is garbage. Dare you to read the ingredients3hqj6rlk3gws.png

I like oatmilk and have bought that brand but I find it weird they think the nutrition facts and ingredients are "boring". I find those very important part of any food I eat and interesting. Not boring.

That would never even cross my mind that looking at the labels would be "boring", so in my opinion that is very strange marketing. Maybe most people find it boring? It shouldn't be though and I don't like how it perpetrates the "who care how many calories and what is in your food" idea. Not what a majority of the population needs reinforced.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I think it's only so-so in theory -- in that milk is commonly added to oats, I'd prefer for it to be made out of something other than oats, and oats don't bring much or any protein or healthy fats o the table (and while oats have fiber, oatmilk would not be expected to have much).

Most commercial nutmilks pretty much are just flavored water, so the vitamins/minerals they contain are mostly added, and they also have little protein/healthy fats/fiber, but then they are super lowcal (some homemade ones and some of the commercial ones have more actual nut in them, however).

If the scary thing here is supposed to be the less than 2% of a variety of chemicals, plus a bit of salt and rapeseed oil, it in fact seems pretty obvious those are vitamin and mineral supplements to get to the higher amounts shown on the label than just oats would have (i.e., dairy usually has D and A supplements and has various B vitamins and calcium naturally -- I think they are trying to make this a better replacement). I hope anyone making a big thing about the added supplements (for consistency) eats a solely whole-food based diet and never takes vitamin or mineral supplements.
  • pancakerunner
    Options

I like oatmilk and have bought that brand but I find it weird they think the nutrition facts and ingredients are "boring". I find those very important part of any food I eat and interesting. Not boring.

That would never even cross my mind that looking at the labels would be "boring", so in my opinion that is very strange marketing. Maybe most people find it boring? It shouldn't be though and I don't like how it perpetrates the "who care how many calories and what is in your food" idea. Not what a majority of the population needs reinforced.

lol probably to distract people from actually reading the junk that is in their product
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    The oats used are likely covered with pesticides, gluten contaminated and the rapeseed (canola) oil used is ultra processed, highly inflammatory and CHEAP.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    The oats used are likely covered with pesticides, gluten contaminated and the rapeseed (canola) oil used is ultra processed, highly inflammatory and CHEAP.

with that said, I don't consider myself a clean eater, but with so many other options I choose to avoid oat milk.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I think this is unpopular...
    It grosses me out to dunk anything into a beverage. Doughnuts in coffee, cookies in milk, etc...even the thought of it turns my stomach. I don't like soggy things...I don't even put milk on my cereal because it makes it soggy. Why is a wet cookie appealing? Bleh.

I disagree with you on the cereal, but I also am grossed out by dunking. For me though it's because I don't like the idea of drinking a beverage that probably now has stuff floating in it lol. I mean, I don't like soggy stuff either, I eat my cereal while it's still crunchy. And I don't like soggy bread, it grosses me out when a dish that involves gravy or dressing or grease on bread sits for long enough that the bread gets soggy. Eww :lol:

Yes! Some of my family will dunk pieces of bread in soup and I don't even like to see them doing it.
    I rarely eat cereal, but I've always had it dry if I did.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Gotcha. Thanks!
  • backinthesaddleagain57
    Options
    I don't like hummus.
  • pancakerunner
    Options

Gotcha. Thanks!

For sure! And I really don’t have anything against any one particular ingredient. But I think when companies add oils and emulsifiers to their products its a shame... reason I prefer full fat sour cream over low fat, etc. No need for all the added gums and stabilizers... I’d rather take the extra X calories.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

Gotcha. Thanks!

For sure! And I really don’t have anything against any one particular ingredient. But I think when companies add oils and emulsifiers to their products its a shame... reason I prefer full fat sour cream over low fat, etc. No need for all the added gums and stabilizers... I’d rather take the extra X calories.

I'll be honest, I can get really grossed out by the mouth feel of food and am a big fan of emulsifiers and stabilizers to help me with lower cal options for some things :lol:

I agree with you on low fat dairy. There are some cheeses that do well low fat, I'd guess because the way they are made helps them keep their consistency with some of the fat removed. Others definitely don't (like you said sour cream. Also cream cheese. And ricotta) And I'm ok with 2% milk. But skim is an abomination period.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,100 Member
    Options

Gotcha. Thanks!

There are quite a range of formulations for lowfat and nonfat dairy products. Some have those additives, some not.

I prefer skim milk to full fat, personally. I don't like the mouth-feel of full fat. (I'm sure this is because I've drunk skim for pretty much my whole life.)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I don't like hummus.

I don’t like tahini, which is a main ingredient in hummus. But I’ve found a few kinds of hummus without it (Lilly’s roasted red pepper) that I like.
  • Butterpecan083
    Butterpecan083 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Frozen vegetables are not a good replacement for fresh. Sure it's convenient, and nutritionally sound. But I've never had a frozen veggie that wasn't soggy, mushy or otherwise off in some way. The only exceptions I have are for things going into a blended soup and even that is limited.

Frozen grapes are better than fresh though.