Coronavirus prep

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    https://youtu.be/csBr5pO_Gfk

This seems to be one positive Covid-19 outcome.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited January 2021
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    CDC recommends schools reopen for in person learning.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/26/960885936/cdc-makes-case-for-school-reopening

Thought about this a bit more and I'm not a conspiracy thinking person but the idea that in person schools don't spread Covid may be a bit of wishful thinking than all out science. Talk to anyone in education, they will tell you they had colds, etc all during the school year for the first several years from being around all the little germ carriers until they built immunity. Don't see why Covid would work any differently.

Of course now you have the kids wearing masks, etc. Any pictures you see the kids are separated properly wearing masks, wonder if that's the normal situation? In normal times educators have to tell kids to keep their fingers out of their noses, wash their hands etc. And these are normally functioning kids, never mind the behaviorally challenged and/or special needs kids.

I have friends with kids (including little kids) in in-person school (Catholic schools here are open), and they say they've adjusted to mask-wearing all day really well and it doesn't seem to bother them. Social distancing seems harder to achieve with kids, of course. My friends are all happy with how things are going.

Here's a piece (with criticism) about the argument that the generally positive results in the Archdiocese schools is a good argument against continuing to keep CPS closed for in person learning: https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/01/07/in-backing-cps-reopening-plan-citys-health-department-studied-covid-in-catholic-schools-which-presents-problems-critics-say/

Here's the study referenced in the piece:
    https://journals.lww.com/jphmp/Abstract/9000/Data_Driven_Reopening_of_Urban_Public_Education.99206.aspx
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    https://neurosciencenews.com/melatonin-lungs-covid-17632/

This is good news as we learn more Covid-19 facts.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited January 2021
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    CDC recommends schools reopen for in person learning.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/26/960885936/cdc-makes-case-for-school-reopening

Thought about this a bit more and I'm not a conspiracy thinking person but the idea that in person schools don't spread Covid may be a bit of wishful thinking than all out science. Talk to anyone in education, they will tell you they had colds, etc all during the school year for the first several years from being around all the little germ carriers until they built immunity. Don't see why Covid would work any differently.

Of course now you have the kids wearing masks, etc. Any pictures you see the kids are separated properly wearing masks, wonder if that's the normal situation? In normal times educators have to tell kids to keep their fingers out of their noses, wash their hands etc. And these are normally functioning kids, never mind the behaviorally challenged and/or special needs kids.

I have friends with kids (including little kids) in in-person school (Catholic schools here are open), and they say they've adjusted to mask-wearing all day really well and it doesn't seem to bother them. Social distancing seems harder to achieve with kids, of course. My friends are all happy with how things are going.

Here's a piece (with criticism) about the argument that the generally positive results in the Archdiocese schools is a good argument against continuing to keep CPS closed for in person learning: https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/01/07/in-backing-cps-reopening-plan-citys-health-department-studied-covid-in-catholic-schools-which-presents-problems-critics-say/

Here's the study referenced in the piece:
    https://journals.lww.com/jphmp/Abstract/9000/Data_Driven_Reopening_of_Urban_Public_Education.99206.aspx

Our kids went to Catholic schools and the Catholic schools in my area have offered in person pretty much all year.

Private schools are very different from public schools. In the vast majority of cases there are no special needs kids in the typical private school. Also most private schools don't provide transportation for the students where it's not uncommon in some areas for kids to be on the school bus up to an hour in the morning and afternoon.

Finally, a private school can kick a kid out of there are behavioral/discipline issues, the public school can suspend, etc but unless really bad the kid will be back in a few days

I actually read the article after my above discussion. Agree with the point the CPS and the private schools in Chicago are completely different.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    NM Governor just announced yesterday that public schools can resume in person learning on a hybrid schedule starting Feb 8. It will be up to individual districts as to whether or not they will. I'm in the largest school district in the state, so it'll be interesting to see what they do...hoping the kids will be able to go back though...a couple days out of the week is better than nothing.

Not necessarily for the teachers and their families. Even if teachers are vaccinated (most aren’t right now) the best information says they can still take it home to their families. As can the kids.

Some districts (Oklahoma) say the kids don’t have to wear masks indoors if they’re sitting six feet apart.

I am so scared for my teacher friends and their families.

I have a couple of friends who are teachers and I know quite a few teachers at my kids' school, and every single one of them is and has been ready to get back. The one's that don't want to can opt out. Masks are required in NM indoors and will also be required in school. They are also required outdoors in crowded public areas and any outdoor land/property maintained by a government entity.

Group A will be Monday and Tuesday...Wednesday is a deep clean day...group B on Thursday and Friday. Smaller classes and more separation. All NM private schools have been doing this since the fall and it hasn't been an issue.

From the sounds of things, most districts won't go back until the very end of February as they need time to ramp up. It is thought that by then, most teachers who want to be vaccinated will be. NM is 2nd in the nation in regards to per capita vaccine distribution and getting needles into arms. We've vaccinated roughly 10% of our population currently

My wife works with a number of districts that are in person. Since she is in a group (special ed, speech therapists, and physical therapists) that work more directly with special needs kids that sometimes can't or won't follow the rules they are some of the first to get the vaccine after the healthcare workers and nursing homes. She's supposed to wait another couple weeks since she just got past the quarantine period after contracting Covid.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited January 2021

Not that it matters where I am - the vaccine situation here is a *kitten* show. The Canadian government totally screwed up vaccine procurement and we will be over here still in lockdown and dying while the rest of the world is getting back to normal.

Or as the Canadian government puts it: "Everything is perfectly fine. We're doing a great job."
    My favourite part is how they decided to require airline passengers to test and quarantine to prevent these new variants about 2 months after the variants were all over Canada.

I also like how he keeps telling us not to worry we will still have the 4 million promised vaccines by the end of March. Unless they are gonna ship us like 3.5 million doses the last week of March it ain't gonna happen. Seems unlikely - but what do I know.