Not Hungry

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I don't know what you look like. But I have a feeling it's nowhere near what you think...

Me right this moment (in airport bar)

Yeah, your self perception is definitely way off and I think some counselling would be a really good idea to get that sorted. It's not about the weight or the height or the baldness, it's about your relationship with YOU.

Objectively, I see a good-looking guy. Eyes are particularly striking. Bald is actually quite flattering on you, I'm having difficulty picturing you with hair.

Those were my thoughts as well. Handsome, very nice eyes, and you wear the bald very well(but then I like that look). And whoever mentioned adding on a smile is on point! Add a smile onto that mug and I think it'd make a huge difference. <3 You may not like you and I hope you work on that with success, but looking at your picture, I'm not seeing what you're seeing. Wish you weren't so down on yourself. :( But you're not going to change your self image without some professional help.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    And the smile makes a tremendous difference in pic #2!
    Have a safe trip!
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    I can relate to having no clue when it comes to hunger. I eat because I am bored of just because something tastes so good. I struggle to eat 1200 calories unless I'm eating things loaded with sugar or other carbs. The best motivator should be health rather than the externals. Getting older (74) soon and seeing my health deteriorate has really been a same up call although late. So let's lift ourselves up towards health especially if you are younger and have so much future
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Bald is actually quite flattering on you, I'm having difficulty picturing you with hair.

I’m afraid to ask what you mean.

It's not something that detracts from your appearance and possibly even enhances it. Some men don't suit baldness very well (my dad is one!) but on you it looks quite good.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    If you are 6'3 you are always going to attract women that want to feel small next to a big guy. I know because I'm a tall woman 5'11.

I hate it, even more so because everyone expects me to LIKE being seen this way. "Oh, you're being ridiculous, every guy wishes he were bigger." I feel so angry that other people here can lose a lot of weight and look different AND shut down the rude remarks they might get from people....but I'm going to get them forever and be expected to take them with a smile on my face. In the past, I even considered listing my height as six feet even on dating sites so I didn't attract women who wanted some big oaf.

I do understand this as my SO is 6'9" and gets comments on his height from strangers constantly. I'm appalled at the number of people who think it is perfectly acceptable to ask him how tall he is who probably wouldn't dream of asking someone how much they weigh, or asking a woman her bra size, or any other personal question regarding a visible physical characteristic.

He doesn't shut down the remarks but I do. >:) As soon as someone opens with "I don't mean to be rude but..." I interrupt and say "Then don't be. It's within your control".

Okay, I could be wrong, but I would bet you asked him how tall he was when you first started hanging out. My point is, when something is seen as a positive or admired, people don’t know they can’t ask. Heck, I get people commenting on my long blonde hair all the time. Anyone with a unique trait will get comments about their appearance. Just like when I was pregnant, people would ask how far along I was. I think ones attitude about it says more about them than it does about the asker unless they are being purposely rude or disrespectful. Hope that makes sense.

I didn't ask. He volunteered that information.

Maybe I'm old or just old fashioned, but I was brought up that it was impolite to comment on or ask about a person's physical appearance, particularly immutable characteristics (which hair and pregnancy are not). A compliment is different.

there are few things that are ruder to comment on than a woman's (possible) pregnancy, which you basically shouldn't bring up until you see a human being emerging from her body, however "mutable" the characteristic might be.
  • 7rainbow
    7rainbow Posts: 161 Member
    It's a bit of both. I used to intuitively eat, but I was underweight. This can happen to people who overeat intuitively as well. Our bodies tend to get used to the amount they get fed, healthy or not. It's a mix of doing what is right for your body, but also what is needed to be healthy. I would say to try to eat when you become hungry, whatever that feels like for you. Then, see how it compares to what you "should" be eating in a day (usually somewhere between 1500-2000 calories, although this varies with gender, height, activity level, and if the person is trying to lose weight). Try to slowly work yourself to that margin, but make sure your body doesn't feel like it is starving or crazy full either. Eating the right foods is how this is usually done. If I eat 2000 calories of doughnuts a day, I will be starving and want to eat, but if I eat 2000 calories of chicken, I would be extreamly stuffed. Try out different foods and see what fills you up for the calories your body needs. Good luck!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    kerrym1980 wrote: »

Dating while I look my worst is not a good idea. I'm going to attract far fewer women and often more desperate ones who'd prefer a slimmer guy but can't afford to be picky.

I hadn't quite taken this in the first time round, but no, it's unacceptable and misogynistic to refer to a woman as 'desperate' because she'll 'settle' for a bigger guy. It's also offensive to the guy, who might be the perfect match regardless of what the scale says. That you place far too much significance on appearance does not mean that others do the same.

^^^^^^^^^
    I really wanted to respond to this, but think it might be better if I didn't.... AANNNYYWAAYYSS

I have been watching this train wreck of a thread most of the afternoon because I am laid up with an ankle sprain. Bro, take this from one big dude to another. You will not be happy when you reach a certain weight. In fact, you might find you are more critical. After I lost my weight, I hated how I looked smaller. Hell, hard to admit it, but I showered with the lights off for 2 years after my weight loss because I hated looking at myself. Its called body dysmorphia. You usually hear it in the media about women, but try listening to 5 gym bros talk and you quickly realize its unisex. There are always going to be things about yourself you don't like. Some you can change and others you can't. As long as you hate yourself, kind of sounds like you do, you will NEVER be happy. The negative energy you give off will definitely not attract a mate you will want. I know that it wasn't until the last year that I came to terms on my "body" and then, and only then , did I find a partner with the qualities I needed. Find your center..... Then let the rest work itself out.
    Best wishes.....

Great post! Says it all.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    And THIS is exactly your problem--you should feel wonderful, powerful, masculine,....... The question is --why not? You need to figure it out.

I want to be seen as average; I don't like people pointing out how "huge" I am. A lot of people here don't want to be seen as big and so they lose weight in part to try and kill those rude comments. (I'm reminded of an old gym ad showing a woman working out and the ad copy was "This is for my aunt who said I was 'just big boned.'") When they say they love feeling small next to me, I think they think they look better when standing next to me and since I'm just a big dumb guy, I'm supposed to be satisfied with that because guys aren't supposed to care how they look, at least not if (any) woman says they look good the way they are.

I know a lot of this is impossible and I'm struggling to reconcile the fact that I'm stuck this way no matter how hard I'm willing to work, and that even if I kill myself exercising and dieting, the rude remarks will likely still come. I'm hoping that maybe some meds will help lessen some of the anger. I'll never get to the point where I take pride in being a big guy, but I think I can get to the point where I'm not, at least in my darker moods, calling myself ugly and that nobody but the most desperate woman would want me. Neither one of those things is true. And while losing weight obviously is not going to change my height or build, perhaps when I lose enough, I can at least avoid some of the football player/bouncer remarks which are probably based on my weight at least as much as my height.

Oh--I know more than you think. I'm very tall for a woman and have been since 16. I've never been obese, mostly slim to average, but I have a large bone structure--think St. Bernard, not greyhound. I hated it. Overly tall, blonde, I felt like a lighthouse where ever I went. I felt people looking at me (real or imagined). I had a boyfriend that was a lot shorter than me in high school and felt huge. Then in college finally went with a guy taller than me. I loved it and him, but didn't work out. After about 10 years I met my Italian husband. He's my height (almost), so had to wear flats. He loves me so much to this day, but going to Italy and living in the midst of a shorter darker population was a challenge. I had so much trouble finding size 10 shoes, and flat besides.

So, I know very well how it is to feel out of place height wise. Thats why my advice is gold. Take it.

Yes, I have a large frame too and have had a thing for tall guys since I was a teenager and hated my big feet and calves. (I've been over that for decades.)

@HerNameIsMischief - in all the years I did online dating, only two men didn't lie about their height to make themselves TALLER. I've been with the last one for 8 years now. He's 6'6". It's not too tall ;)

And when I think that someone looks like a football player, it's COMPLIMENTARY. (I'm not thinking offensive linemen though.)

I'm watching Imposters now. Patrick (Stephen Bishop) is 6'3", bald, and super hot.

I've enclosed the picture in the spoiler tag in case someone reading is in the beginning of Season 1.
    He's a foot taller than Maddie.

is-patrick-in-love-with-maddie-poll-image.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    edited February 2021
    Read this for various perspectives on male height and dating:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10812148/height-ism/p1
  • HerNameIsMischief
    HerNameIsMischief Posts: 158 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yes, I have a large frame too and have had a thing for tall guys since I was a teenager and hated my big feet and calves. (I've been over that for decades.)

And when I think that someone looks like a football player, it's COMPLIMENTARY. (I'm not thinking offensive linemen though.)

I hate that every woman who feels bad about how tall/big she is feels better compared to me. Like finally they won't see her as the big awkward oaf, and since I'm a guy, I'm obligated to revel in comments about how huge I am.

When someone says, "You look like a football player," nine times out of ten it means you look big and bulky. To them, it's complimentary because they either like football (I don't) and/or wish they were big enough to inspire such remarks. It doesn't matter a bit to me that some guys wish they were bigger. People have different opinions on what is attractive. When someone makes a football remark, it confirms to me that how I look is not my imagination or exaggeration, but no, I really look this way, and so much that even random strangers feel compelled to mention it.

• HerNameIsMischief
    edited February 2021

I hate that every tall or big girl likes that I offset her size and make her feel small. I hate that I'm supposed to enjoy being seen as the big oaf who dwarfs his girlfriend (try dating someone under five feet...you get all sorts of remarks about how cute it is about how tiny she is and how HUGE you are). What I really hate about the tall/big girls is not that I don't find them attractive, but because they've always felt awful about their size....but then they meet some guy, and since he's bigger than them, they're no longer The Big One and the guy takes all the brunt of the rude comments.

And when people other than a scout says "you look like a football player," it means you look like a big beefy guy. Sure, some guys like and wish they had that look, but to me, it just confirms that my feelings about myself aren't just my imagination....no, everyone else sees me the same way I do. And it's almost worse that it comes from strangers, trying to be nice. If someone hates you, or is angry with you, they'll exaggerate your characteristics to ridicule you. If you're 30 lbs overweight, they'll say you're a barely mobile lardass who needs an IV of Twinkies every night. Whereas if a friendly stranger points out how big you are, it's because you ARE big enough to make them comment.
  • HerNameIsMischief
    Those were my thoughts as well. Handsome, very nice eyes, and you wear the bald very well(but then I like that look).

Please don't call it "the bald."

Why would you like that look?
  • HerNameIsMischief
    Bald is actually quite flattering on you, I'm having difficulty picturing you with hair.

It's not something that detracts from your appearance and possibly even enhances it. Some men don't suit baldness very well (my dad is one!) but on you it looks quite good.

I really want to take that as a compliment, but I don't see how anyone's appearance could be enhanced by baldness unless their hair was either already thinning or so unruly that you'd figure they'd be better off just getting rid of all of it and letting it grow back.

What makes a guy suit baldness better than others?

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member

I really want to take that as a compliment, but I don't see how anyone's appearance could be enhanced by baldness unless their hair was either already thinning or so unruly that you'd figure they'd be better off just getting rid of all of it and letting it grow back.

What makes a guy suit baldness better than others?

It IS a compliment!

Face shape and head size/shape can affect how good baldness looks. My poor dad has a small thin (okay gaunt) face and rather a large bulbous head. Proportion is everything.

I've seen plenty of guys running around with wild unruly mops of hair that do more to hide their features than enhance their appearance. (And I grew up in the 70s when wild unruly mops were pretty much mandatory for men! You'd think I'd appreciate them more)