Coronavirus prep

Replies

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder if I have already had covid. My husband and I were both sick for 10 days in early July with what for me was nasty headaches, total exhaustion and sinus congestion (he had a mild cough with it). We both tested negative at the time, but for me it went on for almost 6 months after with daily headaches, fatigue, brain fog, facial pain, random bizarre symptoms like waking up in the night with all my teeth aching, facial tics, vertigo. My whole summer was a write off - I didn't even start walking my dogs again until November. I was eventually "diagnosed" (remotely) with chronic rhino sinusitis and what one doctor called post-viral syndrome, and steroids helped. One doctor I saw suggested that the PCR testing had changed and a sample that tested negative in July could test positive now (I don't understand exactly how and didn't ask) and it's possible I did have it.
    At any rate I guess there is more than one virus out there that can knock you on your *kitten* for months - would be interesting for me to know which one it was.

If you are now healthy enough to donate blood, the American Red Cross is still testing for antibodies.

I'm in Canada - but I doubt that antibodies would show up at this late date anyway.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I sometimes wonder if I have already had covid. My husband and I were both sick for 10 days in early July with what for me was nasty headaches, total exhaustion and sinus congestion (he had a mild cough with it). We both tested negative at the time, but for me it went on for almost 6 months after with daily headaches, fatigue, brain fog, facial pain, random bizarre symptoms like waking up in the night with all my teeth aching, facial tics, vertigo. My whole summer was a write off - I didn't even start walking my dogs again until November. I was eventually "diagnosed" (remotely) with chronic rhino sinusitis and what one doctor called post-viral syndrome, and steroids helped. One doctor I saw suggested that the PCR testing had changed and a sample that tested negative in July could test positive now (I don't understand exactly how and didn't ask) and it's possible I did have it.
    At any rate I guess there is more than one virus out there that can knock you on your *kitten* for months - would be interesting for me to know which one it was.

If you are now healthy enough to donate blood, the American Red Cross is still testing for antibodies.

I'm in Canada - but I doubt that antibodies would show up at this late date anyway.

But you had it through Dec., right? Got it in July then lasted 6 months.... so if this is what you had, it was as recently as 2 months ago. Antibodies usually still show up 2 months later.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

But you had it through Dec., right? Got it in July then lasted 6 months.... so if this is what you had, it was as recently as 2 months ago. Antibodies usually still show up 2 months later.

The average 72 days is from symptom onset not end of symptoms.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner

The average 72 days is from symptom onset not end of symptoms.

For those with a case that lasts, do our bodies stop making antibodies? I mean... if that is the case, then how does anyone ever survive when an infection lasts that long? Of course, they could get antibodies from blood transfusions or monoclonal antibodies. If your body stops making the cells to fight the virus, doesn't the virus win, without medical intervention?
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited February 2021

I’m not sure actually - when they say post viral syndrome I thought that the virus would be cleared after the acute illness, but the inflammation was already triggered, like the immune system going haywire. I’m not even sure where I would get antibody testing here, or if they would even consider that a priority since I am better now.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner

I’m not sure actually - when they say post viral syndrome I thought that the virus would be cleared after the acute illness, but the inflammation was already triggered, like the immune system going haywire. I’m not even sure where I would get antibody testing here, or if they would even consider that a priority since I am better now.

Like I mentioned earlier, if you can give blood, they will test it for antibodies.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    The antibodies only last on average 72 days so she would be negative. I was tested 3 months later for antibodies and was negative. It is rare (although has been seen) for people to have positive antibody test over 3 months later.
    yea, there is a wide variation in anti-bodies. I was donating plasma for covid therapy regularly up to 7 months after I recovered. But they haven't called lately, so I expect my anti-bodies finally dropped. My sister who also recovered never had enough to qualify for donations.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Still no Covid here. Hope that doesn't upset the couple of people rude to me last time.