WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Beth - So sorry. Sounds like time to make a stink on the media, and get the lawyers in. If only for others. Definitely not trust them again!!!! Scandalous! Should be national news. Is there a charity you belong to who would be interested in disseminating the info.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

First marriage I did all the bill paying and was very careful about what was spent, then he left and I really was careful. My big splurge was a kids hamburger at Mc.Donalds and that was maybe once a month(that was 30 yrs ago so they were less than $1 back then, but, I knew i could make a burger myself for less than that)-
    I still watch what I spend- tend to still be a saver even though I don't HAVE to be now.
    My current husband took over the bill paying about 5 yrs after we got married. He does all of it. I have no real idea about how much money goes out every month. I know I would change things some if I was the one doing it. Things that I think we could cut back on are things he seems to spend even more money on now but, because of the virus and him working a lot more hours every week and bringing more money in, I have not said anything. My income has not changed at all and his hours are at least doubled for now.(since March with no change back in sight).
    We have very few real bills- no mortgage and small car loan that he is paying double on every month on my car. We have insurances and true up bill for the PGE/Solar are the main ones then regular monthly- cable/internet which is way more than I think we should pay and he will not consider changing it unless it is to get even better/faster service. Extra money going into savings every month(financially we are doing good, couple wise, we are about bankrupt)
    I do have an account that he doesn't know about that I started many years ago, "just in case" that my mom knows about and the statements go to her house. After first hubby leaving me without notice, I have to do what ever I can to cover my butt.

Debbie
    Thanks, i think i would be uneasy not seeing the accounts if my significant other was doing them. I'd want to check them out from time to time. That seems like a big deal about the secret account. Though i can understand needing to not share everything with other. (i think, if in a couple now, i would surely opt for separate accounts and one common one, but not secretly). My brother and his spouse are long and happily married, as far as i know, and he said his spouse, who is very responsible, and was and i also a good earner, had messy accounting, so they kept separate accounts, and he said, with humor, "and never the twain shall meet", though i'm guessing that may have evolved as they approach retirement. I can certainly understand wanting to cover for yourself. Do you think there is any hope going in getting out of the red and into the black couple-wise?

I can relate about the minimalist splurges. After my parents split, when i was a teen, my mom had scantest of alimony after 25 years (having married in the period where it was frowned upon for a woman to keep working when the kids came along), just enough to barely get by on, and we would stop by a muffin chain called "pewter pot" and each get a tea, and split a hot blueberry muffin with butter, as our splurge, probably about 2 or 3 dollars for the whole deal, but a moment to be out and sit down and be served. There is something truly nice about those rare frugal splurges.

Single in Paris i used to eat out about 1x a month for about 7 dollars.
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Today we took him back to his home. He's been vaccinated and I've been having a lot of back, hip and knee problems. The timing seemed right. He was there 6 hours. Just 6 hours when we got a phone call that once again ... I can hardly believe I'm typing this .. yet another untrained aide fed him dried out fish. And he choked. Taken by ambulance he is now in the ER and I am waiting for information.
    Beth, this makes me so angry. First i hope that he heals quickly in regard to the present situation.
    I agree with Machka and Heather, that you can't trust them.
    Are there not other homes or institutions options somewhere? What about if it's a bit farther than your home? Not ideal for visiting, but better to drive an hour or even two, or even more, each way, than to deal with the current situation.
    I don't know if it comes into play, but sometimes the ugly big institutional-looking places can be better than pretty "homes", because they have a great variety of staff, services, etc, possibly more people there out of vocation, and may in some cases have actual better over-all care. That's what i saw for my mom when she went from a pretty, but relatively understaffed home of 6 to a massive, ugly -looking institution that was clearly way better and more happy-making for her.
    Is there housing aid and help for him to have other options? One of my sisters is schizophrenic, with fairly good autonomy, and gets housing aid, and helper aid now, ever since a very serious bout of cancer wore her out 2 or 3 years ago. Since she's always been on disability, there is housing aid, and now also helpers that come by 2x a week, plus taxi service and so on. I know your son needs more help than that, but i think hybrid options are being developed, more and more. (Another sister, trained as a nurse, works on developing hybrid options for care in her county, which she says is a growing phenomon).
    I would look into it with topnotch lawyer before going to court and contacting the media. I have a friend who lost after a long, drawn out (years long) court case with lots of press coverage, mainly because the hospital has a lot of money for topnotch lawyers and didn't hesitate to use dark approaches. I'm not against court cases, and have a couple going on, but they consume time, and headspace majorly, often for years. That said, someone should be notified. (an inspection service?) Maybe they should be shut down.

@Katla49 someone -Exermom, michele poste this from JRsmom, yesterday :
    I changed accounts left the old one restarted just had too many who died of Covid on it I couldn’t find the courage to unadd them. Plus young people I added we’re doing just fine now I wanted to have more adult conversation lol 😂. It is me JRLateInLifeMom. Daughter has had Covid twice now the variant y original one . She better now got a on base apartment
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    put alarm for 6:30, it took me til 6:50 and 2nd alarm to get up! went for walk, take away espresso from the bakery. breakfast tracked.
    doing decluttering 15 min and meditation 15 min and maybe 15 on recumbant and then writing
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

First marriage I did all the bill paying and was very careful about what was spent, then he left and I really was careful. My big splurge was a kids hamburger at Mc.Donalds and that was maybe once a month(that was 30 yrs ago so they were less than $1 back then, but, I knew i could make a burger myself for less than that)-
    I still watch what I spend- tend to still be a saver even though I don't HAVE to be now.
    My current husband took over the bill paying about 5 yrs after we got married. He does all of it. I have no real idea about how much money goes out every month. I know I would change things some if I was the one doing it. Things that I think we could cut back on are things he seems to spend even more money on now but, because of the virus and him working a lot more hours every week and bringing more money in, I have not said anything. My income has not changed at all and his hours are at least doubled for now.(since March with no change back in sight).
    We have very few real bills- no mortgage and small car loan that he is paying double on every month on my car. We have insurances and true up bill for the PGE/Solar are the main ones then regular monthly- cable/internet which is way more than I think we should pay and he will not consider changing it unless it is to get even better/faster service. Extra money going into savings every month(financially we are doing good, couple wise, we are about bankrupt)
    I do have an account that he doesn't know about that I started many years ago, "just in case" that my mom knows about and the statements go to her house. After first hubby leaving me without notice, I have to do what ever I can to cover my butt.

Debbie
    Thanks, i think i would be uneasy not seeing the accounts if my significant other was doing them. I'd want to check them out from time to time. That seems like a big deal about the secret account. Though i can understand needing to not share everything with other.

About 2-3 years before my first husband and I split up, I fixed up my husband's debts, opened my own account and started putting a portion of my salary in there, paid for education for him so that he could get a good job if he wanted ... he didn't, ensured that his dental and optical needs were up to date, and paid for a year-long gym membership at the most expensive place in the city because he said that would motivate him to exercise ... it didn't.

I figured that if things worked out, we'd be in a good place. But if things didn't I would have done all I could for him and I would be in a good place. Things didn't work out. And then I paid for the divorce because he told the lawyers that he gave me a whole pile of money (?!?!?) and he wasn't paying for the divorce too!!! Given he had no job ...

Oh well. At least I was in a good place. :)

M in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,392 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Beth
    Hope your son's surgery for the blockage is minimally invasive and maximally successful. Your anger radiates off the page--and if there was ever a more righteous reason, I haven't heard of it. Don't know what the statutes are in your state, but in most, if not all, endangering a patient is a felony. Hope your lawyer is helpful, and hope the authorities shut this group home down before they kill someone.

Tracey
    I use Splenda - two packets for one cup of plain yogurt, or three packets if I'm adding something that's not sweet, like frozen strawberries. For the mandarins, I use one of the small individual cups of mandarins, drained of juices. I'm sure you could use any sweetener that makes sense for you.

Rori

Thanks for the worry, my dear. The inability to smell or taste seems to be one of the first symptoms from most people I know who've had it, so now I put my perfume on every morning. If the worry flits across my brainpan, I just raise my wrist to breathe in the scent, and so far so good. In some studies, that symptom occurs in as many as 98 percent of cases. We deal with our stresses however we can, and I worry about you, too, my friend, for very different reasons. Much love winging its way to you.

Got my knee pain under control yesterday for the first time since the cold snap began. Removing the flex tape actually helped the situation. I had to because in this heated inside dry air, the skin surface on my legs is starting to bubble, so I have to keep lotion on them, and the tape simply won't stick. Turns out, my knees prefer it right now without any flex tape at all. Works for me!

Also having to wear finger cots (little tiny finger condoms) on my thumb and a couple fingers as the tips are cracking due to the combination of handwashing and dry heat. The only thing that heals them up is Working Hands cream, basically just glycerin and water. Works, though, so I keep it around all the time. The finger cots are so much easier than Band-Aids, which restrict finger movement and never work for long, but it's like having tiny little sock puppets flying across the keyboard.
    :smiley:
    There are worse things. If you want to amuse yourself or just keep them around for finger cuts and cracks, they're available at Walmart, and quite cheap.
    :wink:

Got to get Corey's lunch put together, kept enough braised steak from last night's dinner to put together an easy sandwich or wrap for him this morning...time to get moving!

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to powerline, Post Office, prep breakfast for after blood tests tomorrow.
    Bonus: Stroll with C, T & Shadow, 30 mins vacuuming and light cleaning,
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, fast for blood tests, Dr’s office for annual ABI, balance, cognitive etc tests, Freddie’s for rx & bubble water, Farmers’ market, call S, call C, call R, start taxes, fire district: minutes, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Friendly February:
    16: Check in on someone who may be struggling: make those calls today!
    17: Respond kindly to everyone you talk to today, including yourself: especially!

Oh what a difference a break in the rain makes in my attitude and step count!

Lisa thanks again for the mandarin/yoghurt combo. Allowed me to cut back the honey I add to yoghurt to one third of normal. Yumm!
    Tracey glad to hear of mobility, what does the physio say about your pain? Could it be sacroiliac?
    Vicki 15 years! You should be so very very proud. Was it you who said something about DH warming up the car for you and wanting to remember to be grateful when annoyed? That’s Joe and me too.
    Rita brr!
    Heather “…each make our own side of the bed in the morning” ROTFLMAOWMP!
    Annie you’re not slow, the lactose free Fage hasn’t made it out to our stores yet ;)
    Tina I like everything better slathered in butter… :laugh:
    Rebecca “Creative math skills” ;)
    Allie Owww. ((hugs)) When do you go back?
    Machka Fingers X’d for a resolution to your back issues. Sorry it took being unable to put weight on your right leg to get investigative action.
    Ginny in OH yes, can definitely see you smiling under the mask!
    Rori thanks for popping in. Whooshing love and comfort to you.
    Michele thanks for the update on Amber.
    Barbie your big adventures sound like mine!
    Julie yes I input every expenditure in an Excel spreadsheet. Don’t stick to a tight budget but knowing that I’ll be registering what I spend helps to minimize those impulse purchases.
    Kate, Tracey and Debbie I’d love to get those headphones for Joe, but seriously doubt he’d wear them.
    Cathy in NC tornadoes and freezing rain? Keep warm and safe!
    Debbie I was really worried until I read about your “cover my butt” plan. Like Julie I’d be very very uneasy not seeing the accounts if my significant other was doing them. Do you have access to them?
    Beth words fail. Praying real hard that your son recovers quickly. Are there no other places nearby? They couldn’t be worse imho. Understand your reluctance to make a public stink, I’d be afraid other facilities might “blackball” your son.
    Katla Thanks for the Stevia Clear recommendation. Will try it! Would like to eliminate sugar from my morning tea but in the past didn’t like the taste of Stevia nor monkfruit sweeteners. All the “..tol” sweeteners give me an ill wind ;) Used to like Splenda but now it’s just too “chemical-ly”. So real organic sugar its been, much to my waistline’s distress.
    Lisa “…tiny little sock puppets flying across the keyboard…” I can see this so clearly :laugh:

Chiropractors and massage: monthly maintenance keeps my legs under me and moves shoulders away from ears. I too was afraid of chiropractors until the morning I yawned and stretched while turning my head and heard something rip. Tore a ligament in my neck. By the time I got to the chiropractor I looked like Quasimodo and was crying, “If you can’t fix me, shoot me!” One tremendous crack and I was able to hold my head up and move it tentatively, all without pain. Chiropractors mostly don’t manually adjust necks any more, too much risk, instead use the little thumpers. Safer if a little less effective.

Time to snooze a few hours before blood draw. Not my favorite thing, but lasts less time than the DDS.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: leaner/stronger/kinder than January.
    daily: sit with Joe: 17, weigh/wii: 16/12/35; steps>5627=7117 at last!, vits=16, log=16, CI<CO=13, CI<250<CO=8, Tumble=11 Shadow=12 mfp=16 outside=8 up hill=8
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx=2 dance=1 clean 60 mins=1.75 packwalk=3, wt=1/31:141.3 2/7:142 :confounded: 2/14: 141.5 2/21: 2/28
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=5 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=10 play=13 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Beth - PHEW! Sending you love and strength. <3

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options
    general question
    Do you note down all expenditures ?
    Do you stick to a very tight budget

When we were married, I looked after finances as DH was away a lot. I was quite meticulous as we had a mortgage and I didn’t work after my elder girl was born.

When I qualified and started teaching, I had my own bank account, but still looked after the finances. After DH was made redundant, I added him to my account, as he took over domestic responsibilities. We kept our separate accounts after I retired, but both are joint accounts and we share expenses pro rata.

We are fortunate that we don’t have to worry too much about writing down every little outlay, but we do check our monthly statements, and keeping track of staying within our budget. We are currently spending our kids inheritance. After all, we earned it! 😂
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options
    Allie: Oh no! Hope they get it sorted soon. (((Hugs)))
    Rori: (((Hugs))) I have no words! Keeping you in my prayers.
    Beth: That beggars belief. That place should be shut down.
    Lisa: 🤣 ... tiny little sock puppets

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    From my walk today ...

vnvocc8kokyb.png

The photo on the right is this one ...

errchthilm8b.png

And now ... the house is clean, my dressing room is done except for a couple little projects in there, and I am tired.

My GP put me on medication for my back and one of the side effects is drowsiness and fatigue. Just what I need! But when my head hits the pillow, I get a really good night's sleep.

M in Oz
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    (((Beth))) that sounds horrid! Prayers for you and your son.

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Beth so sorry for the stress to all of your family. Prayers for your son. It is so hard to watch your child suffer at the hands of people who should know better.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤️🔵🟠💜
  • bananasandoranges
    edited February 2021
    Options
    @Machka9 you were really well organised for your divorce. good for you! it stinks that you had to pay for it, but if you say you were in a good place, that's great.

(((Beth))) Very glad to hear he's ok.

Barbara, I agree about tracking expenditures, just like for calories. I go to osteopath. here there are virtually no if any chiropractors but masses of osteopaths.

@Terri, tracking all, yeah it seems its maybe a must especially in younger days when saving, wanting to buy a house, etc. sharing pro rata is how I have done things in the past.

Barbie, Wow about your mom holding onto the decades of accounts! Have you kept those accounts, or, if not, what did you do with them? I agree tracking expenditures is like tracking food.

tracking time on inherited paper spreadsheet today
    Coincidentally, my Dad died in 2006 and since he had a 2nd wife we didn't get any "stuff" (or not that I know of anyway), until long after she passed in 2011. There was not much "stuff", but I was the only of his kids to be interested in inheriting an old paper spreadsheet pad, one of the many he had had way back when, since he worked in numbers. I received it 3 or 4 years ago around summer 2017 I think.
    Rather than tracking my time on writing on a computer spreadsheet, today I finally used the paper spread sheet for the first time. I made an X for every "pomidoro" (25-minute period) I spend on my writing project, as per one common writing timing strategy.

tracking money
    I used to and that is how I was able to buy first house on a very modest income a couple of decades ago. it was on my budget for about 5 years and I never was able to save due to modest income but when I got some extra income one year it went right into closing fees budget, and that was that. I have been less careful over the past decade whereas my income is not any higher. I think about the 1 euro espresso per day, most days. That's about 350 per year. And it might be a fair trade off, seeing as how confined we are and how it's rough to be so alone, but things like that one can think of, or even get an espresso 3x a week instead of 5 x a week, etc. Or that, could get me to trying to make my own kombucha, one of my rare splurges at present. Things like that can add up, and make for great savings.
    This year since I have time allotted to writing I have 15% reduction in income, so giving extra attention would not be excessive at present! it's more time to note down all but probably "worth" it.

I tend to feel better when I'm a bit on top of things like that. (food, time, expenditure), without being excessively obsessive, or controlling about them (that's not my issue).
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Beth:))) Sending good wishes. :flowerforyou:

(((Rori:))) You are always in my thoughts & prayers. :heart:

Machka: Thank you for photos of summer! I look forward to it. Now we have snow on the ground, a rare thing where we live. We haven’t had snow on the ground for the past several years. Luckily, we are warm and safe, and have access to shopping if we feel motivated to get out in slushy snow. :star:

Be safe and well.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I did 5 or 5.5 hours on writing today. going for a short walk before curfew and i think i can get in another couple of hours. yay! i sent 2 pages to my corrector. she wants things in little doses at present, and that works for me at present. it's in french so i always need to have it corrected.