Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://news.yahoo.com/covid-19-cases-down-16-233021005.html

Maybe Covid-19 is taking a break or just fading away finally.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    I couldn't find any information on this question but I'm curious, maybe someone here knows. Concerning receiving the Moderna vaccine, are recipients under age 55 known to have a tougher time with side effects than other age categories?

Wondering this myself, too. I got my 1st dose of the Moderna vaccine this past Saturday, and I'm 44. I had pretty significant soreness at the injection site, and actually felt like how I feel when I'm fighting off a virus, but don't actually get sick. I've heard some pretty significant flu-like side effects from people my age and younger.

I did find an article about the vaccine on the AARP website that briefly mentions people age 55 and under seem to have a little bit more of a reaction.
    https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-2021/pain-relievers-covid-vaccine.html
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find any information on this question but I'm curious, maybe someone here knows. Concerning receiving the Moderna vaccine, are recipients under age 55 known to have a tougher time with side effects than other age categories?

Wondering this myself, too. I got my 1st dose of the Moderna vaccine this past Saturday, and I'm 44. I had pretty significant soreness at the injection site, and actually felt like how I feel when I'm fighting off a virus, but don't actually get sick. I've heard some pretty significant flu-like side effects from people my age and younger.

I did find an article about the vaccine on the AARP website that briefly mentions people age 55 and under seem to have a little bit more of a reaction.
    https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-2021/pain-relievers-covid-vaccine.html

Thank you! It was so interesting, because right after I got the shot I started feeling symptoms of costochondritis, which I often get when I'm starting to get sick or fighting something off. I also just felt kind of run down and achy, like I might get sick, but I think it was just my body building up the immunity to it.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

I read that younger people has more side effects after the second dose of Moderna, too. The theory is that they have a more robust immune system providing a stronger reaction after such second dose. The theory also speculates that, since older people immune system has been reduced by age, the response to the second jab may not be that bad.

I can't remember where I read that but if I find the article I will post it.

@RennieHJ
    I just read that you had a mild case of COVID in November. Hopefully you were vaccinated 3 months after that. I read, and had friends to prove it, that vaccination side effects specially the second one, is tougher for people that had been previous infected. The reason is a double kick in the immune system.

It is OK to take Tylenol for fevers and body aches. Doctors recommend to stay away from Advil or other NSAIDs, since they "may" interfere with the action of the vaccines.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Australia is only just about to start giving the vaccination next week. Crazy since we were told we'd be one of the first countries to get it. Can't trust politicians as usual.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Lab studies suggest Pfizer, Moderna vaccines can protect against coronavirus variant
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/17/health/pfizer-vaccine-south-africa-variant/index.html

..."A new report published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Wednesday suggests that Pfizer-BioNTech's Covid-19 vaccine can protect people against concerning new coronavirus variants, including one first seen in South Africa called B.1.351...."

..."Separately, a team at the National Institutes of Health and Moderna published a letter in the same journal outlining findings from an experiment they reported last month. They also reported a reduction in the antibody response to viruses genetically engineered to look like the B.1.351 variant -- but not enough of a reduction to make the vaccine work any less effectively...."
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear, I'm not worried about the reaction to the vaccine, as I'm pretty much expecting to feel at least a little ill. I'm just someone who likes to be prepared. I generally handle illness pretty well, anyway...except for vomiting/feeling like I'm going to vomit: THAT, I don't handle well. It's definitely dissuading me from getting the 2nd dose, and hopefully it won't for others, either.

I am a bit worried for my 74-year old mother's reaction, as she is scheduled to have hers next week. So, it's good to hear that the older people aren't having as much of a reaction.

Oops--meant to say, NOT dissuading me from getting a 2nd dose.