• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    We had a large departmental meeting today. The department head mentioned with all of us WFH, cases of eyestrain, neck, back, etc. pain are expanding exponentially. Small monitors, poor chairs, desks too low/high and so on.

Be careful out there.

I would have expected this the first week or two, but surely there has been plenty of time to get decent chairs, desks, monitors, etc?

When I moved in 2011, I got a used computer desk on craigslist before I got a washer and dryer. I had the chair, computer, and two monitors from work.

I think sometimes people don't realize, until the damage is done. Thinking back to the early days of workstation ergonomics at my job, we'd been having quite a few problems (i.e., people injured, some worse than others; workers' comp reports; etc. - bad consequence for both people and organization). We sent a smart, conscientious employee off for detailed training, and put a remediation program in play, starting with the already-affected, moving to others who volunteered, and finishing up with recommendations for the resistant ( 😆 you can lead a horse to water . . . .). The ergonomics-checker person was pretty much empowered to order what was needful, from a long standard list of stuff, with other things possible after discussion. There was a huge positive impact, and problems went to near zero from then forward.

I think now, people don't realize their home set-up is a problem at first, then the cumulative stress injuries start turning up. Even then, I'm betting some blame generic "stress" or something else, and I'm guessing some don't have a good handle on what adjustments to make, or can't afford to make them at home.

It'll take a while, sadly, for this stuff to sort out.

Yep definitely cumulative. I've had several shoulder operations and both thumb joints rebuilt along with numerous issues of hip/back pain due to years in an office environment. It can take a while for issues to manifest.

Our location at least (don't know about the entire corporation) had told us it's fine to take extra computer monitors office chairs home during the WFH time (have to transport anything on your own though).

Same here, we are allowed to bring monitors etc home. Still, that’s just part of the solution. Many live in small apartments where they don’t have proper office spaces, enough room to put an adjustable desk in (even if they could figure out how to bring a desk home from the office), and the lighting isn’t planned for office work. For example, I only have a small desk at home and no room for a bigger one, it’s not adjustable and it’s at the wrong height for working long periods of time, and it’s in the darkest corner of my apartment because I can’t fit it anywhere else. Plus, it’s in the same room as my husband’s desk so if one of us is having meetings we have to either put on headphones and blast music to drown out the meeting noise or one has to go work on the bed or bedroom floor.

There’s also the issue of human laziness. If given the option to work from your own couch in pyjamas, many people are going to take it.

This is me, I don't have a space in my apartment where I could put a desk, so I'm working from my dining table (too high). I have floor to ceiling glass on 3 walls of 4, so although it seems lovely and bright, actually the glare gives me a lot of headaches. If I don't work in this room though, my only other option is in bed.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    We had a large departmental meeting today. The department head mentioned with all of us WFH, cases of eyestrain, neck, back, etc. pain are expanding exponentially. Small monitors, poor chairs, desks too low/high and so on.

Be careful out there.

I would have expected this the first week or two, but surely there has been plenty of time to get decent chairs, desks, monitors, etc?

When I moved in 2011, I got a used computer desk on craigslist before I got a washer and dryer. I had the chair, computer, and two monitors from work.

I think sometimes people don't realize, until the damage is done. Thinking back to the early days of workstation ergonomics at my job, we'd been having quite a few problems (i.e., people injured, some worse than others; workers' comp reports; etc. - bad consequence for both people and organization). We sent a smart, conscientious employee off for detailed training, and put a remediation program in play, starting with the already-affected, moving to others who volunteered, and finishing up with recommendations for the resistant ( 😆 you can lead a horse to water . . . .). The ergonomics-checker person was pretty much empowered to order what was needful, from a long standard list of stuff, with other things possible after discussion. There was a huge positive impact, and problems went to near zero from then forward.

I think now, people don't realize their home set-up is a problem at first, then the cumulative stress injuries start turning up. Even then, I'm betting some blame generic "stress" or something else, and I'm guessing some don't have a good handle on what adjustments to make, or can't afford to make them at home.

Yep definitely cumulative. I've had several shoulder operations and both thumb joints rebuilt along with numerous issues of hip/back pain due to years in an office environment. It can take a while for issues to manifest.

Our location at least (don't know about the entire corporation) had told us it's fine to take extra computer monitors office chairs home during the WFH time (have to transport anything on your own though).

Same here, we are allowed to bring monitors etc home. Still, that’s just part of the solution. Many live in small apartments where they don’t have proper office spaces, enough room to put an adjustable desk in (even if they could figure out how to bring a desk home from the office), and the lighting isn’t planned for office work. For example, I only have a small desk at home and no room for a bigger one, it’s not adjustable and it’s at the wrong height for working long periods of time, and it’s in the darkest corner of my apartment because I can’t fit it anywhere else. Plus, it’s in the same room as my husband’s desk so if one of us is having meetings we have to either put on headphones and blast music to drown out the meeting noise or one has to go work on the bed or bedroom floor.

There’s also the issue of human laziness. If given the option to work from your own couch in pyjamas, many people are going to take it.

If I had to sit on the floor or the bed with a lap top I'd take my chances with the 'rona and go in the office as I would be walking. Actually our office is open as it is part of a manufacturing facility and people that directly support the manufacturing processes need to be there. I worked there for a couple weeks when we had some flooring installed. Probably about 10% of normal occupancy, thermometer at the entrance, no issues.

I'm fortunate to have a pretty nice set up at home. We have an "office" room that's about 15'x15', bought an adjustable height glass top desk, a "kneeling ergonomic chair" and a 32" monitor a couple years ago. Brought home a 22" monitor from work and the work laptop also sits on the desk. Also bought an AirEx pad to stand on. Have a headset from work for Microsoft Teams meetings/calls.

My wife is works in the schools so in the spring she worked at the kitchen table. She also got a monitor and chair from work
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options

Be careful out there.

Up until a few weeks ago, my job was still not telling us for sure what was going to happen. I wasn't about to put money into something that may not be used in the long run. Now though, we have been told it will be WFH pretty much permanently for my team unless we are actually NEEDED in the office. There will be work stations where we can set up in office, but there will be something like 18 for ALL of finance/accounting. There is 20 people on my team alone and we are only a portion of the whole so we won't be back. They are totally redoing the floor plans and we won't be able to go back to how it was because we are actually going from 3 floors to 2 due to needs of others.

I do need to find a desk though for cheap. I have monitors and a chair from work that I was allowed to bring home when I went in to clean things out. Before then I was using a dining room chair. I am still set up on the dining room table in fact until I clear out the spot I want to use and get the desk. That will have to wait until next month because of money.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Just related to working at home. I've worked from home over 10 years, when I started my own small consulting/recruiting firm.

Last year, I hurt a disc in the thoracic spine area. When I moved last year from Ohio to AZ and put together my office again, it was clear that the chair I was using was crooked. Literally around an inch higher on one side of the chair cushion than the other. I think it lead to my back being pretty messed up most of last year. And a decent (and we are talking just decent) chair costs 200, minimum. A really nice one around 500. The back injury ended up really showing when I used my indoor rowing machine, but I think that the chair had it ready to go out at any time and the rower was just the last straw. The back didn't start getting better till I bought a new office chair.

Glad you found a solution. Talking about chairs, the Steelcase ones we have at our office are in the $1000 range. There are outlets that sell used office equipment from when places go out of business/remodel, etc. You can get the premium office chairs from Steelcase, etc for 25% of new price or so depending on condition.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »

Be careful out there.

Up until a few weeks ago, my job was still not telling us for sure what was going to happen. I wasn't about to put money into something that may not be used in the long run. Now though, we have been told it will be WFH pretty much permanently for my team unless we are actually NEEDED in the office. There will be work stations where we can set up in office, but there will be something like 18 for ALL of finance/accounting. There is 20 people on my team alone and we are only a portion of the whole so we won't be back. They are totally redoing the floor plans and we won't be able to go back to how it was because we are actually going from 3 floors to 2 due to needs of others.

I do need to find a desk though for cheap. I have monitors and a chair from work that I was allowed to bring home when I went in to clean things out. Before then I was using a dining room chair. I am still set up on the dining room table in fact until I clear out the spot I want to use and get the desk. That will have to wait until next month because of money.

Desk, IMHO, is a lot less important than a good chair. More important is your mouse, the height of your monitor and the height of the keyboard and if it's ergonomic. I know a lot of young adults that have set up desks with nothing but plywood, concrete blocks and boards running between the blocks.

If you go to Pinterest and just type in Cinder Block, Plywood desk you will find a million of them. You could even dress it up a bit with some cheap wood finish with polyurethane in it to make it shine a bit.

I saw this and loved this idea. It wouldn't post the link (to Pinterest) but it was just using stacked plastic milk crates and plywood for a simple large desk idea.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/507780926728979190/

http://news.homehacks.co/plastic-crate-projects/

A desk doesn't have to be fancy, but it does have to be at the right height. Mine is too high at home and I can't really reach the floor properly if I'm set up so that my screen and keyboard are ergonomically. My back is also all kinds of messed up and I switch between sitting and standing frequently at the office. I have yet to see cinder blocks that have electric adjusting features.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Be careful out there.

This is me, I don't have a space in my apartment where I could put a desk, so I'm working from my dining table (too high). I have floor to ceiling glass on 3 walls of 4, so although it seems lovely and bright, actually the glare gives me a lot of headaches. If I don't work in this room though, my only other option is in bed.

Yep, my husband and I are both working out of an 800 sq-foot apartment. I have some co-workers who have set up some lovely basement offices during this time . . . I'm mostly camped out on the couch or working from our kitchen. I do the best I can ergonomically.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Something like this might be good for a couch or a standing desk from a table and it's super cheap relative to other solutions.

https://revolaptopstand.com/pages/revo-flex-stand-page-2?msclkid=c5e9ed716b32152d4ad5b243d045ad1c
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have been working from home since March and have only just (this weekend) sorted myself out with a desk and monitor rather than using my laptop on the kitchen table. Part of it was not knowing how long it was going to last, and part of it was not feeling too bad. But then I started racing time trials again which puts a bit more strain on my back/shoulders and I really started to feel it while working so decided to do something about it.

In theory I could have got a monitor from work, but on the basis that when we go back it may not be full time at first, and I cycle to work, I really can't transport it backwards and forwards every day so it made more sense to buy my own. Not to mention that it would have involved going in to the office, which I have no other real reason to do at the moment.

I was WFH for almost 3 months. And I used my laptop screen plus an extra monitor I had. At the office, I had 2 monitors same height and better quality next to each other. Similar sith desk setup... just used a folding table. I didn't knownhow long, so didn't want to buy new stuff. Plus, I keep thinking I am moving, but that gets delayed too.

I'm thinking I should work from home again. As a T1D, I won't likely do well if I get sick and it is blowing up here. My boss is ok with it, so are managers here... except the HR manager isbreally opposed to me (and others) going back to WFH. I don't understand why. She wants me to fill out a disability accommodation request that Ibknow is going to be denied. Any ideas on how to makenthat point even though it is about risk management and not specifically a disability thing?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner -- good advice above. There are also softwares that HR can get that allow monitoring of productivity remotely of work computers. That industry is thriving right now with Covid-19. Many companies, that are more traditional brick and mortar, have learned new things out of necessity. Now, likely they wouldn't want to pay for something like this but most of the time the concern is that if someone is home, they won't work as hard.

Panogard is like $5 a month per computer. If they want to see what you're working on any time of the day, they could see it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Be careful out there.

I worked in my pjs (at my desk) until lunch, at which point I changed into exercise clothes, which, depending on how sweaty I got, I might stay in for the rest of the day ;)

Perhaps it is some combination of years of ballet and yoga, a decades-long struggle with lower back pain, and ergonomics training at work in the 90's, but I'm aware of bad ergonomics within minutes and find it intolerable.

Conversely, my OH used to work on his laptop while lying in bed.

I hate laptop keyboards. My OH says I'd get used to it if I used it all the time, but I doubt it. If I had to use a laptop, I'd use it (and have used it) with a proper keyboard, mouse, and monitors. At a desk. A computer desk. :D
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    The house and garden have been kept. I am always washing dishes and surfaces, loading and unloading the dishwasher, cooking, disinfecting, and washing clothes. There are only two (old) adults living in the house so I have no idea where the extra work comes from, but I admit that I am a control freak and I like to clean and organize.

What I did notice is that extra things (organizing drawers and closets, cleaning, throwing away stuff, etc.) that I would and should do is not getting done. And I know that in few months I will be very upset with myself for procrastinating. I am retired and I have been home for 10 years already so I am used to be at home person like you. But I am taking it to the extreme right now.

I think that there is a sense of apathy for many of us because in many places the situation is worse and we don't see the light at the end of the tunnel. Many of us are using more time trying to keep up with family and friends by phone or e-mail too since we can't see anybody in person. I least it is for me.

MFP is also to blame... o:)