GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Removed due to broken link.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    A friend sent this to me for my brother. I'm not sure if my SIL will do it but I'm pushing her to. My brother can't be beyond 10 days symptomatic in order to qualify. He does qualify on all the rest of the criteria. This is the same antibody cocktail that Trump received. The only cost, assuming you qualify, is from the hospital -- but not for the drug. I had no idea this was available until a friend of mine told me that his high risk brother got it.

https://combatcovid.hhs.gov/i-have-covid-19-now/monoclonal-antibodies-high-risk-covid-19-positive-patients?fbclid=IwAR1KX492pGJxg2p07_bA_N_1oHtHQBxxTsX0eo4mj5cL_tlJFlOne5qjhEo

Local news reports here recently that the supply of monoclonal antibody doses is high (a stockpile), but the uptake very low.

There seem to be multiple problems: It apparently does the most good early (before many people seek health care, let alone hospitalization), people don't know about it or know it's available or know how to get it, and other such communications/logistics stuff.

SIL said his medicine he's on doesn't technically qualify him. His oxygen dropped dramatically and he's in the hospital now. I haven't heard if it's the ICU or not, but I assume so. It seems like they have a narrow band of people that can get it, which is a shame. His oxygen was in the mid 80s. Low 80s usually means permanent organ damage.

Oh my goodness that is terrible. Hopefully they can get him stable and his oxygen back up. Is he normally a healthy guy?
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    @MikePfirrman Hoping they can help your brother & get his O2 back up again.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    What happens when adequate precautions aren’t taken for in-person learning. 😞 https://apple.news/AyMIn9a3ARZ6AaQiWX-Y6_w
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    lokihen wrote: »
    Just a pessimistic note on the British variant. It was first identified in September in Kent and the surge came four months later in January. This is why there are cautionary watches on March for the US.

It’s in the US, including California. What worries me is the South African variant has been identified in three states in the last week and a half: Maryland, Virginia, and one of the Carolinas.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Personally, I found this rather appalling as the term “essential employee” has been left open to interpretation. That and the shifting directions on who to vaccinate.

https://apple.news/ApkRhyC0dRLKdXs-4jrDVog

Yeah but I also don't really agree with the consensus that teachers should be on the first priority list. I don't know why say a 32 year old teacher is a higher priority than a 62 year old factory worker, or postal sorter, or delivery person. I really think that they should be prioritizing by age and health, and not occupation (besides health care I guess where they are directly exposed to high doses.) Especially since people in those occupations are more likely to be members of low income vulnerable communities, which have been hit particularly hard.
    It must be hard though to have to make those calls, because no matter who is left to the end you know at least someone in that group is going to die. There is also a mask mandate here so any teacher and all of their students are masked the same as every other workplace where you can't distance.

I think it depends on the work/circumstances. A senior staying at home versus a teacher required to go back in the classroom?

Taking the only resource out of a rural community hurts everyone. Including the people the health dept. wants to prioritize.