Keto and Fasting has been amazing thus far.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    Poobah1972 wrote: »

Good Morning Sarah,

[...]

But so far... We truly have been feeling like a million bucks.

Well, OK, I will not contradict your own experience. I definitely experience reduced activity on fasted days. (Definitely not a day to do a 25 mile bike ride, for example.)

But, who's Sarah?
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited February 2021
    Well, OK, I will not contradict your own experience. I definitely experience reduced activity on fasted days. (Definitely not a day to do a 25 mile bike ride, for example.)

But, who's Sarah?

Oopsie... That was the person that posted above you. I must have made a quoting Woopsie. Pardon moi. :)

And Yes I bet anyone like you who is up to biking 25 miles or going for a run etc and so forth would indeed experience fatigue in comparison to a regular day. However I'm not that guy... Lol. I want to be that guy, and hope to be that guy. But right now neither I or my Fiance are up to those fitness levels where it plays a factor in our day. I'm sure it will come though, sooner or later.
  • Poobah1972
    Just an fyi, I made my Food Diary public in case anyone was interested in what I was eating. :smile:
  • Poobah1972
    Nobody here was against Low carbing - if that is a WOE that suits you

and of course if you are very overweight anything that reduces that is a good thing

Extrapolating from that to fasting for 48 to 60 hours is the issue.

But you have made up your mind - so be it.

I hear yeah... Generally, fasts will only be 36 hours. I did the 48 hours once.... And I'm not so sure I'll be doing a 60 hour, That I haven't made my mind up on yet and you never know what might happen between now and when I actually have an opportunity to try it. Maybe the idea, won't seem so exciting by then? Hmmmm, we shall see.
  • Poobah1972
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what is it that seems exciting about a 60 hour fast? Are you reading stuff that suggests it will be some mindblowing experience or is it because it seems like a feat or what? I'm just curious. (I don't think fasting for essentially two full days will hurt you, although I would be really careful and read about how you should refeed, since I think that can be the most risky part. It just seems pointless and unpleasant to me.)

Good Morning Lemurcar2... Hope your Tuesday is going well.

I've read a bunch of stuff from all sorts of people... I will say I'm a Gemini, and true to my Sign, I am a Devil's advocate at heart, always seeing both sides of the story, and to a great extent understanding both sides (i was often the judge and mediator of other peoples problems growing up, not by choice but because people tended to trust me advice). Truth always lies on spectrum, Like Light and Dark, Hate and love and good and evil (if either truly exist). Ego often prevents us from recognizing our own truths or lack there of, or being able to see clearly the point of view of others.

Yes, you do see many people out there that report fasting for 30 days or even more, however I do have to wonder what is the actual point? Why subject oneself to multiple long fasts per year? One particular gentlemen, talks of fasting for an extended time lines, and preparing for a marathon... Then upon completion of his fast he would eat all you can eat at Taco Bell? (apparently he claims he doesn't need to heed the refeeding guidelines as apparently for him he's so use to long term fasts, his body has adjusted). This all seems pointless in multiple respects? how is it that he's gaining 30-50 pounds that he would be able to fast for 30 or more days so many times a year? And gorging at Taco Bell in calibration of a successful fast? I'm sure he had his reasons, but I'm not sure they have anything to do with healthy approach to life in general? While he seems to have will power to command, perhaps it's the challenge and the ability to say he did it that motivates him more then the weight loss in the first place? Wouldn't will power be better put to use by first losing the weight then maintaining so such drastic measures aren't needed again in the future? I do not aspire to partake in a prolonged fast, I enjoy eating and cooking not only for me, but for my family.

I will admit I have read the entire paper in its entirety on the Gentlemen that did fast for over a year, and i will add that the document itself is valuable from the point of view of general safety and overall proof that our bodies to great extent are designed to be able to do this. While the particulars are getting a little foggy, (it's been a few years since I read it) the gentlemen at first was under pretty constant Dr. Supervision, but as time went on he actually walked to the clinic whether it was once a week or longer I don't remember. They constantly monitored his blood work, and there wasn't really problems that required response until the fast amount of his weight was already consumed. His muscle mass certainly declined, but as I had mentioned above, going from 400-500 pounds to normal weight you really should lose muscle mass as you just don't need the same amount. And his heart health improved. So none of this to say, this is what I aspire too, I only take it antidotal evidence that fasts such as the ones I'm partaking in are far from dangerous as some would think.

The stories I enjoyed the most and offered the most encouragement was found on a few different sites, but It had a wide range of people and many couples... Both of these sites featured people that were performing some form of IF, whether it was OMAD, windowed or fasting 1 or even 2 days a week. I didn't dive into the weeds, but just enjoyed what they had to say about their particular journeys. Many of these people were also low carbing. Coming from a history of successful weight loss (granted I gained it all back when I made some poor life decisions), I already know how successful I can be doing low carb and how easy it is for me to still enjoy what I eat, lose weight, and not feel like I'm constantly starving while I'm doing it. Also being so large and putting a fairly extensive amount of research into what I've done over the years, I tend to think I understand my body and what is safe compared to some good intentioned people that really don't have a clue what it is to be this large, nor likely didn't have the personal stake in anything they may have read involving such large people, that they probably couldn't understand or retain said information as a person might who does have a personal stake in doing so. Not to say I don't appreciate everyone's comments, because to comment is to at least care at some level.

So why did i state I was excited for my first opportunity to fast for 60 hours? (Putting my Ego aside), when i wrote that I just undertook my first few fasts and finally got up the courage to write about it.... It was early days (still is), I had slayed my nemesis, and I did so handily. Never in all my life, did I realize that it would be so easy to do such a thing as "Not Eat" for day. And all the time, doing it without any discomfort, or hardly any real hunger. I was like a child with his brand new bicycle. I felt that needed to let people know, as before that moment, I really didn't understand what it was actually going to feel like, and neither did my fiancé who equally slayed her nemesis. It was and still is an exciting time for us. But I will be honest, I'm not as excited as I initially was about the potential of a 60 hour fast on our horizon. Such is life, you start something new, you approach it with a fresh face and lots of hope and energy, as time goes on emotions balance with reality and you come into balance. I'm really on the fence at this point. A 36 hour fast is really a piece of cake for us, and I kind of like having my Sundays so open Time wise to do whatever else we want.... But 60 hours will likely grow old really, so yeah not so sure about that one.

Cheers!
  • Poobah1972
    edited February 2021
    I mean't to include a bit about refeeding after a fast in my above post...

I will say this, while my fasts have been of a shorter variety... It is worth noting, that within 1.5-3 hours of eating I do experience a very short bout of a liquid diarrhea. Like short as in, sit down and done (not hold onto your seat, wide eyed terror or anything extreme like that). At that point the rest of the week progresses as normal with typical movements occurring every day or every other day. It's like food hit's my stomach and my entire system gets a bit of a flush, probably has something to do with a little excess stomach/bowel fluids being produced and little to slow it down between my stomach and ejection point as my digestive system comes fully online? But that is pure speculation. I don't believe any special refeeding guidelines during my particular fast periods are needed, specially since I'm only eating 350-500 calories max at my initial re-feeding.

I would say the longer you go the more important food selection would become.