Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Well, of course.

Just like I leave watermelon out of any food plan I follow, it just tastes like wet straw to me.

But I don't claim it is unhealthy or everyone else should avoid it ( which I know you weren't either)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    What bad affects?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I like to have a packet (or less) in a 12 oz iced or hot tea. That's only 37mg of aspartame-- a very small amount.

The main criticism of aspartame is that it is broken down into some scary chemicals, including methanol and formaldehyde. But the levels are incredibly low, similar to what you get from many natural sources.

But the advantage (for me) is that it helps me to eat less sugar, which seems worth it. Each can make their own choice concerning aspartame, I hope.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    yep, that's the same for me. I use splenda in my coffee of a morning because I can't stand coffee black, but realized that using creamer and sugar, I was consuming an uncomfortably large amount of calories which cut into my allotment of healthy, sustaining foods. So I switched to using either 1/2 cup of lowfat milk or unsweetened almond milk and 3 packets of splenda with fiber, along with 3 packets of either regular splenda or 1 packet of truvia or something like that. This way, I'm reducing the calorie intake way, way down but still getting the sweetness satisfaction - and the splenda with fiber is helping with my fiber intake! lol

When it comes to aspartame, it really depends on the product as to whether or not I can stand it. I can drink diet Dr. Pepper or diet Pepsi and not have any issues, but there is something in classic diet Coke that doesn't agree with me. I'm not sure what it is. I used to blame it on the aspertame and refused all artificial sweeteners, but after realizing that I could tolerate some things like sugar free gum or diet Dr. Pepper, I've come around to being more rational in my approach to aspartame, and can admit that it's probably something else in the formulation that doesn't agree with me, or its completely psychosomatic in that I just don't like the taste and I've mentally trained myself to have a physical reaction to a taste that I don't like......
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Would you object to someone saying peanuts are safe?
    Any time anyone asks if it's safe to feed foods with peanuts to babies for the first time, they say it's probably fine, but to be very careful because there are some people who have dangerous reactions, so watch carefully for symptoms of a reaction until you know it's safe, especially if there's a family history of peanut allergies. Seems like the same thing I say about aspartame. It's fine for most people, but I have a strong reaction.

I know I'm not going to convince any of you that aspartame causes my symptoms, but it was more than just those two times and I wasn't Google diagnosing myself. (I didn't have a computer then.) After the bad episode, my friend told me she thought it was the diet soda and I thought she was just being a hippy and I kept drinking it in moderation and every single time I got a brain fog and excessive sleepiness. When I stopped, it didn't happen anymore. Since then there have been times where I didn't realize I had aspartame and I felt mentally foggy and tired. I back tracked and found that it was in something I wasn't expecting.

Science isn't perfect. Just because you don't understand how it could cause that, doesn't mean it doesn't cause it. If it's such a small percentage of people who react like I do, it's possible they didn't make it into the testing groups.

I'm not trying to cause fear. I'm stating my experience with the topic. I'm not disagreeing about it being safe for most people.

I think it’s amusing that you are arguing with a PhD biochemist who has studied this compound extensively that he just may not understand it... but your anecdotal testimonial about mental fogginess - which incidentally I often experience but I just attribute to being a busy adult who doesn’t get enough sleep - should trump the actual documented science of how this substance behaves in the body.

Eh I wouldn't say I have "studied this compound extensively", my job isn't related to aspartame at all. I've probably spent like 50 hours on it tops and just reading the literature pertaining to the DMPK studies because it is one of those things that really grabbed public attention. Most of my understanding of it just comes from my training as a biochemist and the fact that it is a methylated dipeptide and what that means mechanistically. My main point is that it breaks down immediately upon injestion into products that are found in all protein sources and all fruits. So if it causes medical issues then you would expect so would injesting protein and fruit. If injesting protein and fruit doesn't cause those issues then I think it is reasonable to ask how one explains that discrepency especially if ones evidence of the cause of symptoms is just correlative in nature.

But aren't some people allergic/sensitive to certain proteins and not others? So are you saying that the protein that aspartame breaks down into is present in EVERY protein source and fruit? And in the same quantities/concentrations?

I am not arguing with you I am genuinely curious. I am allergic to chick peas but not peanuts and I feel like common wisdom states that I should be allergic to both. So is it the concentration and/or combination of proteins that cause my allergy to one and not the other? I just wonder if it could be the same for aspartame.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Any time anyone asks if it's safe to feed foods with peanuts to babies for the first time, they say it's probably fine, but to be very careful because there are some people who have dangerous reactions, so watch carefully for symptoms of a reaction until you know it's safe, especially if there's a family history of peanut allergies. Seems like the same thing I say about aspartame. It's fine for most people, but I have a strong reaction.

I know I'm not going to convince any of you that aspartame causes my symptoms, but it was more than just those two times and I wasn't Google diagnosing myself. (I didn't have a computer then.) After the bad episode, my friend told me she thought it was the diet soda and I thought she was just being a hippy and I kept drinking it in moderation and every single time I got a brain fog and excessive sleepiness. When I stopped, it didn't happen anymore. Since then there have been times where I didn't realize I had aspartame and I felt mentally foggy and tired. I back tracked and found that it was in something I wasn't expecting.

Science isn't perfect. Just because you don't understand how it could cause that, doesn't mean it doesn't cause it. If it's such a small percentage of people who react like I do, it's possible they didn't make it into the testing groups.

I'm not trying to cause fear. I'm stating my experience with the topic. I'm not disagreeing about it being safe for most people.

I think it’s amusing that you are arguing with a PhD biochemist who has studied this compound extensively that he just may not understand it... but your anecdotal testimonial about mental fogginess - which incidentally I often experience but I just attribute to being a busy adult who doesn’t get enough sleep - should trump the actual documented science of how this substance behaves in the body.

Eh I wouldn't say I have "studied this compound extensively", my job isn't related to aspartame at all. I've probably spent like 50 hours on it tops and just reading the literature pertaining to the DMPK studies because it is one of those things that really grabbed public attention. Most of my understanding of it just comes from my training as a biochemist and the fact that it is a methylated dipeptide and what that means mechanistically. My main point is that it breaks down immediately upon injestion into products that are found in all protein sources and all fruits. So if it causes medical issues then you would expect so would injesting protein and fruit. If injesting protein and fruit doesn't cause those issues then I think it is reasonable to ask how one explains that discrepency especially if ones evidence of the cause of symptoms is just correlative in nature.

But aren't some people allergic/sensitive to certain proteins and not others? So are you saying that the protein that aspartame breaks down into is present in EVERY protein source and fruit? And in the same quantities/concentrations?

I am not arguing with you I am genuinely curious. I am allergic to chick peas but not peanuts and I feel like common wisdom states that I should be allergic to both. So is it the concentration and/or combination of proteins that cause my allergy to one and not the other? I just wonder if it could be the same for aspartame.

What makes you think that what you are allergic to in chickpeas is the protein? That's an honest question. I'm not a doctor so I don't know.

From the OP, I get the impression that the two substances aspartame breaks down into are in all proteins:
    <snip>...

What is aspartame?

For my fellow biochemists just simply saying its a methylester of phenylalanine and aspartate is enough to answer that question but figure I should take the time to explain what that means. Phenylalanine and aspartate are 2 of the 20 naturally occuring amino acids found in all protein. <snip>...

How much of those metabolites are in other foods?

As mentioned phenylalanine and aspartate are naturally occuring amino acids found in all proteins. Protein is about 5.46% aspartate and about 3.6% phenylalanine on average. So let us say you have a 4oz piece of chicken breast. A small 4oz chicken breast has about 24g of protein. That means that in that chicken breast there is .036*24*1000 = 864mg of phenylalanine and .055*24*1000 = 1320mg aspartate. That means to get the same amount of aspartate and phenylalanine from diet coke as you do from one 4oz chicken breast you would have to drink 18 diet cokes. <snip>...

I'm sure Aaron will be back to weigh in at some point, but figured I'd get you started :smile:
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

What makes you think that what you are allergic to in chickpeas is the protein? That's an honest question. I'm not a doctor so I don't know.

From the OP, I get the impression that the two substances aspartame breaks down into are in all proteins:
    <snip>...

What is aspartame?

For my fellow biochemists just simply saying its a methylester of phenylalanine and aspartate is enough to answer that question but figure I should take the time to explain what that means. Phenylalanine and aspartate are 2 of the 20 naturally occuring amino acids found in all protein. <snip>...

As mentioned phenylalanine and aspartate are naturally occuring amino acids found in all proteins. Protein is about 5.46% aspartate and about 3.6% phenylalanine on average. So let us say you have a 4oz piece of chicken breast. A small 4oz chicken breast has about 24g of protein. That means that in that chicken breast there is .036*24*1000 = 864mg of phenylalanine and .055*24*1000 = 1320mg aspartate. That means to get the same amount of aspartate and phenylalanine from diet coke as you do from one 4oz chicken breast you would have to drink 18 diet cokes. <snip>...

I'm sure Aaron will be back to weigh in at some point, but figured I'd get you started :smile:

To the best of my knowledge all food allergies are to proteins.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

<snip>...

What is aspartame?

To the best of my knowledge all food allergies are to proteins.

Ok, thanks!
  • shelsrevenge
    shelsrevenge Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Read the whole thread, very thankful for the scientific explanations.
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I love aspartame, it keeps my sugar cravings at bay and let's me get on with losing weight without those energy peaks and troughs that lead me to binging.

I was brought up to think it was scary and to be avoided but then I was also taught to feel that way about vaccines and conventional medicene so.......

Good thing adults can form their own opinions huh?
  • useyourthorns
    useyourthorns Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The early MSDS for it were not convincing, however. (The exact warning I believe was, "Safe if no more than a mouthful is consumed".) However, for some of us, it tastes like pure bitterness.
  • Hamiltonfamily2018
    Hamiltonfamily2018 Posts: 81 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options

...and there you have it. Conclusive proof.

I can possibly get cancer by going on a long run if I forget to put on sunscreen or accidentally inhale too many diesel fumes. Guess it's best to just sit on my couch all day.

What I'd like to know is what about it/how it is possibly carcinogenic. You know...scientifically speaking.

Right! This is my problem with the “clean eater” “food snobs” I mean I think we all know we shouldn’t down 20 diet Coke’s a day and eat more unprocessed foods. That’s a given- however Hard core vegans get cancer too, should we be somewhat responsible eaters. Sure. I’ll enjoy my diet soda on occasion and even eat my lower calorie tortilla that YES is processed and full of crap, who cares.
    I can’t stand food snobs. Huge pet peeve.
  • Analog_Kid
    Analog_Kid Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    For those of us who suffer from migraine, it is well known that aspartame (and other artificial sweetners such as saccharin, acesulfame potassium, sucralose, and neotame) can trigger skull-splitting headaches.