What "trendy" foods do you have no interest in trying?

Options

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Are macarons still a trend? I'm not a fan
  • gigius72
    gigius72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Smoothie bowls. Too many funky textures.

4aIvS5a.jpg

I think that actually looks pretty good on a hot summer day sitting by the pool...though I think I would skip the extra almonds as there is already some in the granola mix...and I'm not sure what those seeds are, but I'd probably skip that too.

Also...and it could be because the picture is blown up...but, while nutritionally pretty healthy, that could be a calorie bomb...but yeah, I could see eating it after a nice long ride in 99* temps while I re-fuel and cool down by the pool.

The seeds are chia seeds and stick to teeth like crazy if you don't soak them first. Those are not soaked - they remind me of frog eggs after soaking.

They are ground. Chia seeds like flax seeds and sesame seeds have a hard shell. If it's not broken you simply poop it out without getting any nutrients.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    That new pasta trend with the tomatoes olive oil and feta lol.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

That just sounds like pasta salad, minus the black olives..lol. I guess I haven't seen this trend yet.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

That just sounds like pasta salad, minus the black olives..lol. I guess I haven't seen this trend yet.

Yeah, I have no idea about this as a trend, but when I make pasta I often make a sauce with olive oil and include tomatoes, and feta in the sauce and have for ages. One favorite is those with black olives or pine nuts, smoked salmon, zucchini, and cauliflower. I would usually include more veg and/or protein, so not just tomatoes, olive oil, and feta, but I'm sure it would taste good.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    There seems to have been a TikTok inspired viral moment about putting some cherry tomatoes, olive oil (and maybe seasonings) in baking dish with a block of feta, baking, then using it as a pasta topping.

To me, this seems less like "a trendy food" than "TikTok loses its mind again over something seriously non-radical".

Pasta with roasted tomatoes, cheese, and seasonings . . . such a radical concept. 🙄

Sounds easy, tasty. I'd eat it.
  • lemurcat2
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Ah. I've managed to avoid TikTok to date.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Me, too. Stuff spreads virally from there to social media where I do participate. My younger foodie friends tend to spread the TikTok foods (some horrifying, some look good) among other sources, and older friends are more likely to share those "share on your page so you can find this later" one-dish meals or so-called "dump cakes" (which rarely look good to me, but some of that's the vegetarian thing, and not being a simple-sweet desserts lover).
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options

I don't use it either but keep hearing about this "trend" all over the news and instagram and all my friends are raving about it.
    r7yu0glkbcxw.png

• Noreenmarie1234
    Options

Yeah, I have no idea about this as a trend, but when I make pasta I often make a sauce with olive oil and include tomatoes, and feta in the sauce and have for ages. One favorite is those with black olives or pine nuts, smoked salmon, zucchini, and cauliflower. I would usually include more veg and/or protein, so not just tomatoes, olive oil, and feta, but I'm sure it would taste good.
    That sounds delicious!!

I am sure this "trendy" recipe tastes great I just don't understand why it is so popular and "incredible" (according to my friends) when it is just pasta olive oil, feta, and tomatoes, lol. Not something I'd go out of my way to try.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

That sounds delicious!!

I am sure this "trendy" recipe tastes great I just don't understand why it is so popular and "incredible" (according to my friends) when it is just pasta olive oil, feta, and tomatoes, lol. Not something I'd go out of my way to try.

It's super easy/quick to make, and possibly seems exciting if people mostly think pasta sauce comes out of jars?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    That sounds and looks good. I wish I liked feta cheese! (And probably the calorie count :))
  • lemurcat2
    Options

That sounds delicious!!

Yeah, that does seem weird. I'm sure that would make me roll my eyes too. My social media circles other than here are a very limited friend group on FB (people I otherwise wouldn't easily stay in touch with), some interest-based FB groups that are focused on the topic, and an overly politically focused Twitter (which I really need to quit, it's a hellsite), so have been insulated from that trend!
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Halo top ice cream or similar
  • pancakerunner
    Options

same here!
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    Halo top ice cream or similar

good on you! so 2015 lol
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    With the exception of the "lite" crusts by Cauli'flour Foods, any of the marketed "cauliflower" crusts. Beyond the aformentioned kind, all of the varieties seem to add some type of grain, which I don't consume.
    Also the "veggie"-based steam fresh pasta (again, it appears that scant amount of vegetables are simply added to the ingredients list), as well as those "veggie"-tots. There's always something like potato starch or corn flour or bread crumbs, etc. added in.
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    A lot of those "keto" breads and other products. Those labels are a brilliant way to advertise and draw in consumers, I bet!!
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    A lot of those "keto" breads and other products. Those labels are a brilliant way to advertise and draw in consumers, I bet!!

Keto breads and so many "keto" products that us different fibers and base their calorie count off the net carbs are so criminal! Many of them spike blood sugar just like their counterparts
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower Rice. Don't really like cauliflower and seems like a lot of work. If I didn't want rice I would just skip it