What "trendy" foods do you have no interest in trying?

Replies

• Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Anything 'raw'... that wouldn't normally be such as raw fish poke bowls.

All these fake meat burger things icant belive its not meat type or grown in a lab meats

Franken-cakes such as cronuts
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Charcoal bread

Omg, I've never heard of this but googled it and I need to try it now LOL. I love charcoal flavor.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    I always see those Daily Harvest smoothies in stores, but they just seem really expensive for what you get.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    The only things listed that I think could be considered trendy are mushroom coffee (I've tried it, didn't think it was horrible tasting, but it's not replacing coffee or tea for me) and smoothie bowls (which just don't appeal since one of the things I like about smoothies is that I can drink them). Maybe the BeyondBeef or ImpossibleBurgers are still trendy, not sure where I come down on those (I would try them out of curiosity to see if they really do taste like beef).

Poke bowls are great, and of course sushi (I also prefer sashimi) is too, but neither are at all trendy, IMO (poke bowls maybe a few years ago, and sushi in the '80s, perhaps?). But you can all call me a grinch if you like, that's okay!

(If you like sushi, I don't see why you wouldn't try a poke bowl, though. There used to be a poke place in my office building and it was a pretty easy to make a nutritious, reasonable cal meal from there.)

Generally speaking, I don't like things in bowls. Poke bowls, grain bowls, smoothie bowls..

Do you eat salad in bowls? (I do recall you are skeptical about soup.) Stew? Chili?

I often use bowls even when a plate would work (for pasta or a pasta-like dish? sure).

Me too! I also use a bowl for entree-sized salads.
  • kshama2001
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The only things listed that I think could be considered trendy are mushroom coffee (I've tried it, didn't think it was horrible tasting, but it's not replacing coffee or tea for me) and smoothie bowls (which just don't appeal since one of the things I like about smoothies is that I can drink them).

That's pretty much my opinion on smoothie bowls as well. I don't really understand the point of putting something in a bowl if I can make it portable by putting it in a cup and drinking it through a straw. I mean it looks pretty, I guess, but I think I'd more likely be wearing it than eating/drinking it. (That's my other concern...how do you consume it? With a spoon? I guess I've never really asked.)

To me, it looks kind of like a stew, or chunky soup. Only cold. Only fruit/seed/nut.

I like fruit. Cold is OK, in season. Why not? 🤷‍♀️

Hmm, that's a good point. I guess it could be stew like. It kinda feels like it defeats the purpose of calling it a smoothie if there are a bunch of large fruit chunks in it, though..? Although, I like fruit, too, so nothing about it sounds unappetizing!

I think "deconstructed smoothie" would make more sense, or in this case, "pre-constructed," which probably isn't a thing yet, so doesn't help with the confusion.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    edited December 2020
    bulletproof coffee, zoodles...sorry, I'm still gonna eat pasta and don't feel the need to replace it with more vegetables. Besides, zucchini is not one of my favorites, anyway (unless I use it in baked goods)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The only things listed that I think could be considered trendy are mushroom coffee (I've tried it, didn't think it was horrible tasting, but it's not replacing coffee or tea for me) and smoothie bowls (which just don't appeal since one of the things I like about smoothies is that I can drink them). Maybe the BeyondBeef or ImpossibleBurgers are still trendy, not sure where I come down on those (I would try them out of curiosity to see if they really do taste like beef).

Poke bowls are great, and of course sushi (I also prefer sashimi) is too, but neither are at all trendy, IMO (poke bowls maybe a few years ago, and sushi in the '80s, perhaps?). But you can all call me a grinch if you like, that's okay!

(If you like sushi, I don't see why you wouldn't try a poke bowl, though. There used to be a poke place in my office building and it was a pretty easy to make a nutritious, reasonable cal meal from there.)

Generally speaking, I don't like things in bowls. Poke bowls, grain bowls, smoothie bowls..

Do you eat salad in bowls? (I do recall you are skeptical about soup.) Stew? Chili?

I often use bowls even when a plate would work (for pasta or a pasta-like dish? sure).

Me too! I also use a bowl for entree-sized salads.

Definitely!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited December 2020
    Smoothie bowls. Too many funky textures.

4aIvS5a.jpg

I think that actually looks pretty good on a hot summer day sitting by the pool...though I think I would skip the extra almonds as there is already some in the granola mix...and I'm not sure what those seeds are, but I'd probably skip that too.

Also...and it could be because the picture is blown up...but, while nutritionally pretty healthy, that could be a calorie bomb...but yeah, I could see eating it after a nice long ride in 99* temps while I re-fuel and cool down by the pool.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    I kinda feel like almond butter, although it tastes good, is over-rated for its actual health benefits and WAY too expensive. Especially since most of them are not organic and fills with pesticides.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The only things listed that I think could be considered trendy are mushroom coffee (I've tried it, didn't think it was horrible tasting, but it's not replacing coffee or tea for me) and smoothie bowls (which just don't appeal since one of the things I like about smoothies is that I can drink them).

That's pretty much my opinion on smoothie bowls as well. I don't really understand the point of putting something in a bowl if I can make it portable by putting it in a cup and drinking it through a straw. I mean it looks pretty, I guess, but I think I'd more likely be wearing it than eating/drinking it. (That's my other concern...how do you consume it? With a spoon? I guess I've never really asked.)

To me, it looks kind of like a stew, or chunky soup. Only cold. Only fruit/seed/nut.

I like fruit. Cold is OK, in season. Why not? 🤷‍♀️

Hmm, that's a good point. I guess it could be stew like. It kinda feels like it defeats the purpose of calling it a smoothie if there are a bunch of large fruit chunks in it, though..? Although, I like fruit, too, so nothing about it sounds unappetizing!

I think "deconstructed smoothie" would make more sense, or in this case, "pre-constructed," which probably isn't a thing yet, so doesn't help with the confusion.

Instead of 'smoothie', in my head the name I kept calling it was a "chunkie", but I'm probably weird. 😂 That sounds a lot less appealing too.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Those Japanese seaweed calorie-less faux pasta wonder noodles.

Once was enough. 🤢

Not noodles, but I am having nori rn
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    senalay788 wrote: »
    Charcoal bread

Omg, I've never heard of this but googled it and I need to try it now LOL. I love charcoal flavor.

So why not slightly burn toast?

I believe there's charcoal powder in it. (I looked it up. Yeah, that sure looks like a trendy thing, complete with health-woo. 🙄)
  • kshama2001
    Those Japanese seaweed calorie-less faux pasta wonder noodles.

Once was enough. 🤢

TOO LATE - you already tried them :p
  • kshama2001
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Smoothie bowls. Too many funky textures.

4aIvS5a.jpg

I think that actually looks pretty good on a hot summer day sitting by the pool...though I think I would skip the extra almonds as there is already some in the granola mix...and I'm not sure what those seeds are, but I'd probably skip that too.

Also...and it could be because the picture is blown up...but, while nutritionally pretty healthy, that could be a calorie bomb...but yeah, I could see eating it after a nice long ride in 99* temps while I re-fuel and cool down by the pool.

The seeds are chia seeds and stick to teeth like crazy if you don't soak them first. Those are not soaked - they remind me of frog eggs after soaking.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Also, I think the "extra almonds" might be shaved coconut.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Also, nut "milks".
    I'm glad they exist for people who can't or don't want to eat dairy.
    But since I'm not in either of those categories, I'll pass.