What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    45 minutes of rowing today (around 8300m) @ a pretty easy pace. Still sore after yesterday. Not from the workout, but from the 2 hours of yardwork.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Rowing 500m x 4 paired with decline sit ups
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    35' stationary bike.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,854 Member
    edited February 2021
    Just the usual loop on the bike. Dat max speed tho, nailing the descents liek a Madman

khlj8hegt455.jpg
  • JessAndreia
    Leg Press
    Step ups
    Dumbbell bench press
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Seated leg curls
    Seated rows
  • MikePfirrman
    edited February 2021
    Felt like I needed something a little easier today. After my first week of back to lifting (albeit for a real lifter, mine is extremely modest by most standards!), I was a bit drained. 6 days of cardio with 3 days of lifting on top is a lot, especially in your latter 50s!

Did sprints today (I have lifting this evening). Did 250m X 6 on the rower (around a 1:47 average pace) and then did 8 more 60 second sprints on the Assault Bike. 2 minutes rest on the rower and 90 seconds on the Assault Bike. Felt pretty hard but fun. Actually had the Drag Factor (what most term incorrectly "resistance") on the rower up to 113 or so. Which compared to what I've been rowing at is high, but it's really light (around what most high school female crew would use). Back feels good though, so I'm happy.

Many of my friends participated this week in the online "world indoor" rowing competition. Many of them my age from my club took home 1st places in my age group. Some of their ridiculous strength inspired me to give a go at some shorter sprints today. These guys would lap me on the rower!
  • anna_lowe
    anna_lowe Posts: 39 Member
    dumbbell bp 3x8
    dumbbell rows 3x8
    incline dumbbell press 3x10
    band lat pulldowns 3x10
    lat raises 2x15
    *dumbbell (hammer) curls 3x15
    skullcrushers 2x15

*omg thank you to whoever suggested hammer curls instead of regular...for the first time in months my elbows don't hurt!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    drmwc wrote: »
    Yesterday, I managed an hour's climb over lunch.

Today, I did an hour's climbing. This was a bit of a blunder, as I hadn't recovered from the previous day.

I then did a 12 mile walk. I am getting unfit - this left me feeling tired and hungry.

It also left me broken on Sunday! I had the day off exercise - it was the first day this year I got less than 10,000 steps. I did get an hour of yoga in, though.

On Monday, I got a 9 mile walk in.

Yesterday, I did hangboarding and upper body lifts. My normal hangboarding routine went well, getting 20 seconds on the 15mm rung. I then tested my weighted half-crimp on the 21mm rung, getting +15 kgs easily for 10 seconds, but only getting 3 seconds or so with +20kgs.

I then elected to test my weighted dips (on rings). I've never tried this before. I got +10 kgs and failed +15kgs. I may practice this a bit more.

The upper body lifts were:
    40 kgs, military press, 3 sets of 2. It's been a very long time since I pressed 40 kgs, and it turned out to be absolutely maximum effort.
    55 kgs, bench press, 3 sets of 5. This was also the most I've benched for a while, and it was slightly lower effort than the OHP.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited February 2021
    10K today on the rower. Got up close to 75% HR Max toward the end, but most of the row was under 70% HR Max and it felt like it should -- relatively easy.

World Indoor Rowing 2Ks were today. Many, many WR going down. Among the more impressive, a friend of mine "coxed" a female UK rower that broke won the 2K lightweight 40+ women's at around 7:12, which is just incredible. The most incredible to me was a 66 year old man rowing a World Record at 6:46! I'm Facebook friends with him, but he's French, so we don't talk a lot, but wow! He's also an incredible OTW (over the water, real boats!) racer.
  • JessAndreia
    1 hour leisure walk.
    Here's some Canada geese walking on the frozen lake.
    nkyoc16w0q33.jpg

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    I got an hour's climb in over lunch yesterday.

I made a slight blunder in the evening, and picked up a very hot saucepan with a metal handle. I now have blisters on my hand (and not just the expected climbing calluses). It's fine - it stopped hurting after about half an hour under the cold tap.

I decided the blisters were likely to heal more quickly if I could avoid heavy use of the hands. I blundered on this, and absent mindedly campused up my climbing wall as I wandered past it. A couple of blister popped, so I reckon I can tape up then it's golden.

I did an hour of yoga before breakfast today, I'll squat after dinner.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    drmwc wrote: »
    I got an hour's climb in over lunch yesterday.

I made a slight blunder in the evening, and picked up a very hot saucepan with a metal handle. I now have blisters on my hand (and not just the expected climbing calluses). It's fine - it stopped hurting after about half an hour under the cold tap.

I decided the blisters were likely to heal more quickly if I could avoid heavy use of the hands. I blundered on this, and absent mindedly campused up my climbing wall as I wandered past it. A couple of blister popped, so I reckon I can tape up then it's golden.

I did an hour of yoga before breakfast today, I'll squat after dinner.

Not sure this will help, but hand blisters are common among on-water rowers. IME, once the blisters open (as they will, when rowing again!), it helps to put some liquid bandage on the raw area, before taping up. It helps avoid the raw skin adhering to the tape and ripping off when tape is removed, and limits friction-wear on the raw area.

(For rowing, I'd be doing liquid bandage, then making my hand into an oar-holding shape, and using duct tape as the tape. No bandaging tape I've ever tried will hold up to the rowing for more than mere minutes, if that long. The duct tape, if wrapped all the way around fingers/hand to stick to itself, generously and with foresight about where stress will happen, will hold up for quite a while. I doubt that this level of obsessive taping will be necessary in your case, but the liquid bandage might still help with healing, if friction on the tape or adherence of tape to skin are possible.)
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Spin class and some weights. ⚡️
  • MikePfirrman
    Just 40 minutes on the Assault Bike today. Had some workers outside and didn't feel like doing the workout on the deck while the dogs were inside their crates, so I worked out in the room with them.
  • JessAndreia
    Rowing 500m x 4. Decline sit ups.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited February 2021
    Today was my hard rowing and lifting day. I was going to try to get up at 4 AM and row at 5 AM. That didn't happen, so what I did instead was a 35 minute superset lift a bit early for lunch and then right into a hard 5K with no rest between. Loved it. I used to work out like this all the time, but really started reading how you're supposed to separate your workouts. I don't care. I prefer it this way. 1000 calories in around 65 minutes. Once I got on the rower for a few minutes, I stayed around 90% of HR Max, which was already elevated from the lift. Around a 2:18 pace on the 5K.

As for the lift, did a lot of Plyo box step ups, heavy rope, pushups, 50 lb KB swings, dips, pressups, slam balls and more.
  • deminimis
    deminimis Posts: 47 Member
    I am an afternoon or evening workout kind of guy. Always have been. However, I have plans this evening, so I actually got up at 5AM and cranked out 440 cals (indicated) on the elliptical. Glad I did it, but no plans to make this early AM nonsense a habit.
  • 30 minutes of intense stationary biking. 15 minute Emi Wong slim legs and thighs workout including stretching! Feel good!
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,080 Member
    I decided to go for a walk in my condo building. I walked briskly down the hallway, ran down the stairs, walked down that hallway and down and over on each floor until I got to the lobby. I wanted to walk up the stairs but my bum knee started hurting. I added a walk to the fruit market. Next time I will start at a higher floor and repeat. Trying to mix things up with what I have. Can’t wait for my pool to reopen! 😃
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    15 min's elliptical
    15 KBell Swing
    15 Pull-ups
    50 Banded Crunches

8/6/2
    Mil Press
    Seated Calf Raises 3 x 20
    Lateral Raises
    Skull Crushers
    Front Raises
    Hammer Curls
    Rear Delts
    Dbell Curls
    Iso Rear Delts
    Iso Neutral Grip Tricep Exts
    Rope to Face
    Rope Curls

Dirty Shirley Abs (30 reps)
    Situps/Hip Lifts/Crunches/Flutter Kicks/Wipers/Hanging Leg Raises/Knee Tucks/Rev Crunches/Rower/Cable Crunches