WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2021

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
    Julie: - i’m sorry that France seems to be having a problem with Vaccines. I think that for once we were just lucky with our governments planning. As Heather says, most of us can’t quite believe they got it right this time.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    edited March 2021
    Barbara - We had the Pfizer. One day of feeling a bit off, but fine the next day. It was about the same as the flu jab.

Our numbers locally are looking good. Hugely down. Just have to keep an eagle eye on the variants.

Chancellor's Budget tomorrow. Long road to economic recovery. :|

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,355 Member
    :p
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,904 Member
    :) Finished another blanket yesterday so tomorrow I will walk over to the Project Linus headquarters and deliver it. The local leader is a friendly cheerful woman and I enjoy seeing her. Masks are required in the office and only three people at a time so I feel safe going in.

:) I don't plan to do anything different after I get my vaccine until November when I have a jury duty summons.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited March 2021
    Just a little COVID update:

Recieved my first dose of the Moderna vaccine yesterday! So far just a sore arm at the injection site. Much like after the annual flu shot. The second dose will be later in March. The process they've set up at the local convention center was quite efficient and quick moving. I met this groups requirements because of my cancer. My daughter will sign up as she meets the BMI requirement (over 30). Hubs will be in final vaccine group.

I've basically been sheltering at home since last March. Visiting just my daughter. That will not change just because of being vaccinated. People around here do not particularly wear masks or follow protocol. My husband has done all the shopping during senior hours or very late at night. My bookclubs all moved virtual. I've been able to have a fellow Project Linus gal do a porch pick up of my blankets. We plan on wearing masks at least thru the end of this year. Both my hubs and daughter who work for Texas A&M and Blinn Uni are working from home still. Hubs and I have enough practice now for when he retires in a few years. The man needs a hobby or two! I keep busy in my day with reading, crafting, working on my health and fitness, watching tv and coaching my adult daughter thru life.

Cheri
    in chilly but ☀️ sunny College Station, TX

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,505 Member
    Tttttt
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2021
    Rebecca: Did I already tell you about liquid stevia? It is a natural sweetener with no calories. I buy small glass bottles with a dropper to choose how much sweetener that I prefer. It also comes in a plastic squeeze bottle. I use that when traveling by air. You can buy it in the grocery store or order it online. I buy the glass bottle version at Fred Meyer. The squeeze bottle may be easier to find at a grocery store. I am happy with it and it reduces my desire to add loads of sugar to my coffee cup. I have not tried it for baking or cooking. :noway: Regarding vaccination: Here in Oregon, first responders, medical personnel & public school teachers and staff were vaccinated first, followed by people with serious health issues. In the public sector, vaccine is distributed by age group. We’re past 70 and are now eligible. Younger people have to wait longer. Your DH’s health situation may make it possible for both of you to get vaccinated before younger and healthier groups. It may be worth your time to check into it. :smiley:

Heather: You are right about the vaccination process. I know that it will take time for the vaccine to work its magic. DH had his first vaccination yesterday and mine is today. There is another round of vaccine after this. We will continue to wear our masks in public for the foreseeable future. I don’t expect to enjoy the jab, but I will be happy to protect myself and those near me. Our county has done better than many at using masks and keeping appropriate social distances. :flowerforyou:

Barbara: After we moved here we discovered that we are very lucky with power. We are on the same circuit as the county courthouse and have not had any prolonged power shortages. The longest was about 3 hours. Keeping our fingers crossed that this continues. :bigsmile: Re vaccinations-- DH & I are both getting Pfizer vaccine. His first was yesterday and my first is today. There will be a second round of vaccinations for us at the end of the month. :heart:

Barbie: I received a jury summons last December but opted to decline. I gave my age and DH’s health as reasons. There was no problem with the county regarding this. If I’m called in for jury duty in the future I may decline again. It will depend on our circumstances regarding DH’s health issues. :star:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Morning ladies
    Well my sleep patterns are all over the place...i fell asleep at 4:30 yesterday and slept until 9:30 pm.then was awake until after 4 am
    Fell back asleep and woke at 6:18
    Took a shower and got a load.of laundry done,and will do a walk in a few minutes
    I get my first shot this afternoon and am worried about the side effects..Flu.shot just had a sore arm.. but I got that before I had the surgeries ..
    Oh well it has to be done.. I can always come home and sleep it off..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Allie—DH had his first vaccination yesterday. He says the injection hurt less than a mosquito bite & it left him a bit lethargic. There were no lingering side effects this morning & he is his usual self today. He recommended that you check with your doctor first and follow their advice. My appointment is today at 10 am. I am looking forward to getting it done. The second dose is at the end of the month.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    edited March 2021
    I'm still playing catch up.... I had a few comments that I was going to post, but somehow *poof* my post is gone. Ugh. :angry:

I do want to be sure to say BETH that I'm so sorry for your loss. It broke my heart to read your post. {{{HUGS}}} my friend. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Okie : I'm sorry about your pump problems. What a mess! Hoping you can get a new one installed SOON and get some running water again! :neutral:

Katla : I also use the liquid stevia in place of sugar. I use it in coffee and tea. It doesn't take much. People often say that it has an "aftertaste" but after trying to go completely off of sugar for several months last year, I don't even notice it. This is now the only sweetener that I use. It doesn't take much either.

Kylia , I love the new washer and dryer. My next pair will go on the first floor.... not in the basement as they are now. :grimace: Also, good job on the steps for February.

Speaking of steps.
    My steps so far for 2021:
    Jan 536,000 steps 268.0 miles
    Feb 333,030 steps 166.5 miles
    for a total of 869,030 steps or 434.5 miles so far in 2021

:heart: Teresa in OH
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    B)
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,803 Member
    B)
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,028 Member
    I wonder how many steps I do marching for fifteen minutes. I don't go very fast. At sixty steps a minute it would be 900 steps which isn't very much. Hmm. I'm quite sedentary overall, mostly hanging out around the house. I guess I should try two sessions of marching on my non- dumbbell days.

Annie in Delaware
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    I've now found a German series to watch while I'm doing my bonus exercises. Three cheers! I have been learning German on and off since I was 7 years old and I had a German best friend, but it is still really hard. Duolingo is trying its best to get me to pay for it, by making it extremely frustrating for me to pursue the free version but I see it now as a war of attrition. :p I am nearly, nearly at the end of level 3 and I'm determined to finish. I will then join something else like Easy German as Duolingo have been p.....g me off big time. It's not so much that I mind paying, it's the way they have gone about it. Grrrrr!!!!

Chilli tonight with roasted butternut squash and green beans. Creme fraiche.
    DH has stewed some apples and blackcurrants.
    AF red wine.

My friend Gwendolen is working from home tomorrow, so we can still have our usual group Zoom. Hooray!

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited March 2021
    Oops, forgot to add the pics.
    Tracey it was over 50F here yesterday with nearly no wind. Could it be spring?
    6wobk09jvsbr.pngecolpzpp71pb.pngcfhuf04nvsdl.png
    unquote
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    March: leaner/stronger/kinder than January and February.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,028 Member
    Duolingo has been frustrating for me too. The hearts business takes a lot of the fun away.

Annie in Delaware
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,439 Member
    Michele - I hope you get to see the launch before you leave. Have you seen many?

Rebecca - I bet you’ll notice a difference quickly without the sugar from coffee. Here in Canada a coffee with 2 cream, 2 sugar is called a double double. I used to drink 4 large ones a day and gradually over a few months I got it down to 1 a day. Then I started working on the sugar, I dropped 1/2 a teaspoon at a time until it was none. I have to be honest though and say once in a while if someone “makes a mistake” and orders me a DD I’ll savour every last drop. My girls are really good at “forgetting” as they know I like the treat once in a while.

Barbara - I would agree with you, even though the majority at the home are completely vaccinated for over 3 weeks and we still have to follow all precautions as, according to our Health Dept, it’s not 100% effective and they don’t know for sure if it will work on the variants.

My Granddaughter is 5. It was her birthday in January that we made the bunk beds for. Making the bedding sets for the beds is what messed up my back that I’m still working through.

Kelly - I never would have said that Michaela looked like me, I just told Rodger that and he said I never did until that picture. Take a look. I see it around the mouth.
    I too took note of the website noted on Machka’s calendar.
    I hope the next 10 days go fast for you. Thanks for the Gmen update. I don’t know how you come up with this stuff.

Barbie - those are excellent habits to have, you should be proud of yourself for the hard work it took to get there.

Okie - I hope you get your water going sooner rather than later.

Ginny - it is amazing and I think some have been sped up since last March. She actually got a tablet last April because my daughter was at her wits end trying to figure out how to keep them fighting over 1 in the house. I don’t think either would have one of their own yet if it wasn’t for Covid.
    I wouldn’t like getting reports early either.

Vicki - how disappointing for the brownie debacle, how nice you got to see your grandson though. I hope your niece takes one of you up on your offers.

Katla - so happy that you are getting your vaccination tomorrow.

It was -8 when I went to work this morning and +7 on the way home. You could smell a difference in the air.
    The Voice started tonight and I’m so excited. The musical shows have gotten me through this past year and I’ve been missing them. American Idol started last week. By the time the winner is announced Spring should be here and even if we can’t gather inside we’ll be able to gather outside!

Tracey in Edmonton

I already feel a bit better mood wise👍💖🙏
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,439 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: 12 mins T’ai Chi outside on deck, dogs to powerline, call C.
    Bonus: 66 mins picking up sticks/transplanting sprouted naked lady bulbs, beach stroll with Joe and the dogs
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, Freddie’s?, call S, start taxes, fire district: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, email Pres for agenda, then meeting notice to paper, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Mindful March:
    2: Notice 5 things that are beautiful in the world outside: 1=moon/=stars 2=white and purple crocus, little lavender flower, 3=bee near white crocus, 4=towering trees esp the redwoods and the one white fir, 5=blue sea and sky. Bonus: red topped mushrooms.

Happy birthday Vicki in GI NE! SMH at the restaurant’s brownie messup. Prayers for Katie, hope she gets the rest she needs to recover.

Barbie you inspire! Shifting goals into habits, well done!
    Kylia 6800 steps, yes, you’re on your way!
    KJ Tim isn’t going to TX with you and Colin?
    Okie I admire your positive attitude about the well situation.
    Rita congrats for taking off those 4 lbs!
    Ginny how long do you have to wait for your appointment?
    Margaret careful going up and down those icy stairs! "Chase the squirrel toy?"
    Katla “I appreciate you and our wonderful group of Women 50+. You all make my life better.” Amen, sister, AMEN!
    Annie, having vaccinations depend on online accounts and cell phones is, imho, taking a toll on seniors and those whose finances don’t allow such. There’s gotta be a better way (she who is setting her husband up with an icloud account for his new iphone. Likely he’ll never used the online account.) [sigh]
    Heather sounds like Johnny found a scenic way to keep the car charged and running ;)
    Rebecca :love: Athena Rose’s sweetness and smile. Her friend looks like a little dickens :devil:
    Pip so happy for your new digs, Yogi sure knows how to relax!
    Michele in our rural area satellite internet is spotty and unreliable. Trees and mountains block line of sight. Cable exists to our house but not to our Pastor’s. Our rural electric cooperative is planning to install fiber optic for internet access where none exists. Hope it means they’ll put it underground and move power lines underground at the same time. Windstorm knocked down trees make for so many power outages…
    Debbie Easter in church? What a lovely hope!
    Tracey it was over 50F here yesterday with nearly no wind. Could it be spring?
    Sue in WA looking forward to hearing your UMC virtual choir.
    Viv yes in addition to friend requests from a few guys, I got a friend request from an innocent looking gal with cute black pup. Then got a notification from her with a link to a website with Cyrillic letters. Blocked her.,
    Heather and Viv, which vaccine did you get? Oxford/Astrazenica, Moderna or Pfizer?
    Katla Which did your DH, and will you get?

Totally relished my indulgent bday, starting with a little T’ai Chi on the deck. Joe presented me with two bottles of birthday merlot and granted my request to take the dogs and me to Lone Ranch beach for a stroll, We had the beach mostly to ourselves so the dogs enjoyed some good running. Planned to indulge food and beverage wise so started the day with bacon and bagel with cream cheese. After picking up a load of windfall sticks, noticed strappy leaves sprouting forth from the plastic pot full of forgotten naked lady bulbs. Transplanted at least two dozen into the mint, maybe the mint will clothe the blossoms’ nether regions when they bloom. Was wiped out so napped for a half hour, then soaked in the hot tub for an hour. Chatted with C, opened a bottle of birthday wine, chowed down on arugula, romaine, garbanzo beans and artikaas. Polished off half a dozen pieces of See’s dark chocolates for a massive CI over CO, but thoroughly enjoyed every taste. Now they’re gone and I can return to rational eating.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: leaner/stronger/kinder than January.
    daily: sit with Joe: 1, weigh: 1; steps>5627 6447 vits=1, log=1, CI<CO=0, CI<250<CO=0, Tumble=2 Shadow=2 mfp=1 outside=2 up hill=2
    wkly: BB&B, T’ai Chi=1 or SWSY or wii x5= rx= dance= clean 60 mins= packwalk=1, wt=2/28:142.4, 3/7 3/14 3/21 3/28 3/31
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant= , 21 plan= bonus: AF= play= sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Rebecca: Did I already tell you about liquid stevia? It is a natural sweetener with no calories. I buy small glass bottles with a dropper to choose how much sweetener that I prefer. It also comes in a plastic squeeze bottle. I use that when traveling by air. You can buy it in the grocery store or order it online. I buy the glass bottle version at Fred Meyer. The squeeze bottle may be easier to find at a grocery store. I am happy with it and it reduces my desire to add loads of sugar to my coffee cup. I have not tried it for baking or cooking. :noway: Regarding vaccination: Here in Oregon, first responders, medical personnel & public school teachers and staff were vaccinated first, followed by people with serious health issues. In the public sector, vaccine is distributed by age group. We’re past 70 and are now eligible. Younger people have to wait longer. Your DH’s health situation may make it possible for both of you to get vaccinated before younger and healthier groups. It may be worth your time to check into it. :smiley:

Heather: You are right about the vaccination process. I know that it will take time for the vaccine to work its magic. DH had his first vaccination yesterday and mine is today. There is another round of vaccine after this. We will continue to wear our masks in public for the foreseeable future. I don’t expect to enjoy the jab, but I will be happy to protect myself and those near me. Our county has done better than many at using masks and keeping appropriate social distances. :flowerforyou:

Barbara: After we moved here we discovered that we are very lucky with power. We are on the same circuit as the county courthouse and have not had any prolonged power shortages. The longest was about 3 hours. Keeping our fingers crossed that this continues. :bigsmile: Re vaccinations-- DH & I are both getting Pfizer vaccine. His first was yesterday and my first is today. There will be a second round of vaccinations for us at the end of the month. :heart:

Barbie: I received a jury summons last December but opted to decline. I gave my age and DH’s health as reasons. There was no problem with the county regarding this. If I’m called in for jury duty in the future I may decline again. It will depend on our circumstances regarding DH’s health issues. :star:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Husband looked into it, but even with the liver transplant, he does not meet the guidelines for early vaccination. I was surprised when he told me that!
    Rebecca
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Happy Birthday Barbara!!

Okie