GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    stljam wrote: »
    I love this thread and hate it. I love it because you all rock. Such inspiration, joy, pushing yourselves to be the version of you that you desire, etc. I hate it because it reminds me that I still can't lift yet. Patience may not be my most abundant quality, lol. Keep up the phenomenal work.

Is there something you can do besides lifting? Something else we can celebrate along with you while you pause on the lifting? Running? Cycling? Yoga? Bodyweight exercises?

Hope you are able to return to lifting soon!

I appreciate it.

Not really. Ice Hockey, hiking, boxing, lifting, etc. are all out. I have tried to do light elliptical (virtually no incline and virtually no resistant with a casual pace for me - 160 strides per minutes vs the normal 195-205) and even that significantly increases the nerve pain for days. Best I can do is walk flat surfaces now. Getting closer to what should be a permanent fix though which is good.

Nerve pain is the worst. I still it in my feet and toes. Not sure how long ago you had surgery or even the type of surgery. Stick to your PT. It took me a while to recover from my back surgery. I wish I had stuck with the PT.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Nerve pain is the worst. I still it in my feet and toes. Not sure how long ago you had surgery or even the type of surgery. Stick to your PT. It took me a while to recover from my back surgery. I wish I had stuck with the PT.

Yep. Nerve pain is a whole different beast. Makes the groin tear and broken bones I have had seem like a paper cut.

Long time ago - successful microscopic discectomy (sp?).

Likely headed for another in the same area. Luckily, recovery and success is generally pretty good for those. For me, it's going to sound crazy, but the key to my back feeling well (before this specific injury trauma) was core strength which everyone expects and more importantly hamstring flexibility.

My current "exercises" are nerve glides. Can't even say those up my calorie burn 1 calorie, lol.

• GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options

Yep. Nerve pain is a whole different beast. Makes the groin tear and broken bones I have had seem like a paper cut.

Long time ago - successful microscopic discectomy (sp?).

Likely headed for another in the same area. Luckily, recovery and success is generally pretty good for those. For me, it's going to sound crazy, but the key to my back feeling well (before this specific injury trauma) was core strength which everyone expects and more importantly hamstring flexibility.

My current "exercises" are nerve glides. Can't even say those up my calorie burn 1 calorie, lol.

Microdiscectomy. I had that and Laminectomy on two disc, three vertebrae. The recovery is supposed to be super quick but honestly it took me nearly 3 times as long as they said it would. I agree, core strength was necessary for my recovery.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    just watched this, and its pretty awesome! I tried it (in jeans) and I now want to try that 245 again! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc

and subsequently...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYN3UGCYisk
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    just watched this, and its pretty awesome! I tried it (in jeans) and I now want to try that 245 again! lol

and subsequently...

I won't lie I'm slightly infatuated with Alan Thrall.... I watched these videos when I plateaued on my DL at about 225. The videos didn't make me perfect BUT it helped correct a lot and my numbers started to grow. Alan does such a great job of explaining lifts, and is great about noting errors in old videos or making adjustments based on what he has learned over time.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    dsc84 wrote: »

and subsequently...

I won't lie I'm slightly infatuated with Alan Thrall.... I watched these videos when I plateaued on my DL at about 225. The videos didn't make me perfect BUT it helped correct a lot and my numbers started to grow. Alan does such a great job of explaining lifts, and is great about noting errors in old videos or making adjustments based on what he has learned over time.

Agreed! I've seen a number of his vids! He's pretty fabulous!
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    So has anyone gifted there.... 😂 Nvm
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    I'm gonna break the rules, because I was too involved with lifting to video (sorry!). But today I did a "mock" powerlifting meet. (Bodyweight ~184 lbs., age 62) Squat attempts were: 225, 245, 275, Bench was: 210, 225, 235, Deadlift was: 275, 315 & 335. I went 9 for 9 and I'm very sure they were all legal according to the rules (USPA, USPL, etc.). I had some "left in the tank". This was at the end of my hypertrophy/accumulation phases (mesocycles). Next comes the strength/power phases at 5 and 3 reps per set. So I should be doing significantly more when meet comes around near the end of May. I'll include a .gif when next I post.

tenor.gif

That's awesome! Nothing feels better than...
    ⚪⚪⚪
    ⚪⚪⚪
    ⚪⚪⚪

Way to crush it! (and we'll get vids next time! 😁😉)
  • ___Soundwave___
    ___Soundwave___ Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Ok... This makes me even happier...

85lb bench used to scare me... Today... On set 5, I did 10 reps! 🕺 🕺

6tjdbv8m3ucp.gif

Great job! I'm doing a 5x5 variation, as well...and building back from a deload.

It's such a nice feeling to push through those barriers. It makes you feel like the program is working.
  • 5ofseven
    5ofseven Posts: 791 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options

6tjdbv8m3ucp.gif

This is great, butt I'm too busy looking at the pants. That pre-lift arch, ermahgerd. 🤤

Bar travel is really smooth, you've clearly gotten stronger.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Great job! I'm doing a 5x5 variation, as well...and building back from a deload.

It's such a nice feeling to push through those barriers. It makes you feel like the program is working.

Thank you!!

I think that in some ways, it almost feels better than some of the PRs. Sometimes I think I am never going to put up "impressive numbers"... But when I realized that the numbers I thought were hard are now easy... Then maybe I will get there if I keep pressing forward.

It was a really good revelation.
    5ofseven wrote: »
    This is great, butt I'm too busy looking at the pants. That pre-lift arch, ermahgerd. 🤤

Bar travel is really smooth, you've clearly gotten stronger.

Haha thank you. 😊 They're new pants. I like em too. 😁

And I really love that the strength gains are visible too. ❤️
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    5765ywxtoczi.gif

It’s been a rough couple of weeks for me. My step dad passed away (he really was my dad just not formally) and having to help the family and my mom has kept me out of the gym and also meant a lot of takeout, and little to no sleep, not to mention the emotional side of all of it.

I’ve been to the gym once for a real workout and I could definitely feel the accumulation of all of those stressors when I was there.

I’ve finally been able to sleep(more at least) and try to bring my life back to some form of normal (still a long road to go there) and a new mindset today and it all added up.

There is 455 on that bar. I about stalled out but I told myself I was going to hit that number or die trying before walking into that gym today. Happy to say I didn’t die. Also helped that I had planned for a later day session, and my daughters basketball team (I help Coach) won and showed a lot of improvement which resulted in some happy thoughts.

I followed this up with 2 sets of 405X3 and then the rest of my workout.

Also shout out to @KickassAmazon76 for her deadlift post yesterday. That post and Alan Thrall was really on my mind and gave me some solid motivation!

Big hugs. I am so sad to read of your loss and just want to extend some love in your direction. You're going through a lot so it's understandable that you haven't made it to the gym, but I also can imagine how hard that is... Because the gym is often our way of dealing with stuff!

As for that lift, that volume... Dude, you GOT IT. You are so amazing!!!

Wishing you rest, peace, comfort, and the knowledge that we're here. 🤗
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,132 Member
    Options

6tjdbv8m3ucp.gif

This is a great lift. Your strength has clearly improved over the last couple months. Impressive.
    5765ywxtoczi.gif

It’s been a rough couple of weeks for me. My step dad passed away (he really was my dad just not formally) and having to help the family and my mom has kept me out of the gym and also meant a lot of takeout, and little to no sleep, not to mention the emotional side of all of it.

I’ve been to the gym once for a real workout and I could definitely feel the accumulation of all of those stressors when I was there.

I’ve finally been able to sleep(more at least) and try to bring my life back to some form of normal (still a long road to go there) and a new mindset today and it all added up.

There is 455 on that bar. I about stalled out but I told myself I was going to hit that number or die trying before walking into that gym today. Happy to say I didn’t die. Also helped that I had planned for a later day session, and my daughters basketball team (I help Coach) won and showed a lot of improvement which resulted in some happy thoughts.

Also shout out to @KickassAmazon76 for her deadlift post yesterday. That post and Alan Thrall was really on my mind and gave me some solid motivation!

Heart goes out to brother. I’ve been through the same in last year and half. The gym can be a nice release for some of that emotion. Great strength man.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    I'm gonna break the rules, because I was too involved with lifting to video (sorry!). But today I did a "mock" powerlifting meet. (Bodyweight ~184 lbs., age 62) Squat attempts were: 225, 245, 275, Bench was: 210, 225, 235, Deadlift was: 275, 315 & 335. I went 9 for 9 and I'm very sure they were all legal according to the rules (USPA, USPL, etc.). I had some "left in the tank". This was at the end of my hypertrophy/accumulation phases (mesocycles). Next comes the strength/power phases at 5 and 3 reps per set. So I should be doing significantly more when meet comes around near the end of May. I'll include a .gif when next I post.

Amazing job! I have to get to have 9 white lights at a meet.... and having some left in the tank is sort of awesome because you know for your next your scores will be higher 😁👏🏻
  • jennacole12
    Options

6tjdbv8m3ucp.gif

Yay!!!! De loads are so crucial to strength that it’s really you doing yourself a favor physically and mentally ❤️Also, your bench numbers 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 So much progress 85 for 10 is awesome!!! You’re amazing girl 😘
  • jennacole12
    Options
    5765ywxtoczi.gif

I’m so sorry for your loss, sending 🙏🏻 to you and your family. The pause is awesome, I always think so anyway, to me it shows me how hard I’m grinding ❤️