Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    Not gonna lie, reading this thread is an eye-opener. It is scary how hard it is to keep getting lean after a certain point.

True, but I also think it’s a good case study of how warped our expectations can become from Hollywood, and fitness and fashion industries in terms of how lean is reasonable for a walking-around state.
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    How would people define “real lean”? 10%?
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Not gonna lie, reading this thread is an eye-opener. It is scary how hard it is to keep getting lean after a certain point.

Why scary?

Challenges test and shape you...I am between 19 and 20 % bf...I think this is where I want to stay, but going to add some more muscle so that % point might drop a little more over the next 12 months...this is why there are cutting/bulking and maintenance cycles cos LIFE....
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    I think I've finally hit my bf goal. Skulpt has me at 9.5% which might be a bit low but it's close. I'd appreciate more eyes to confirm. I'm 55 years old, 6'2" tall, sitting at 172lbs. I've been lifting about two years now but an overly aggressive bulk had me cutting for a good fraction of that time and the quarantine put a bit of a damper on that as well. Below is a link to a Google photos album of my "best" poses. Side note, selfie photography and physique posing obviously aren't my strong suit. Lighting is tricky and posing well is surprisingly difficult. Lol

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CMx4Yr8PSb8bknEc6

Note: MFP doesn't like the link, not sure how to correct that. Here's the most representative I suppose. 😬

0tvbobpsba4i.jpg

Awesome. Congrats!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Lean to me, for guys starts at 15% BF. For ladies it's trickier I would say at below 25% some ladies can look lean. 15 and below is ripped for a lady.

I like myself ripped at 10% and was super happy with my appearance sub 10 but was not able to maintain there at 48 years old.

Qualifier, My measurements were relative to myself and with calipers. No special scan was done nor desired. I don't care about the number for me it was how I looked and felt.
  • 1975greig
    1975greig Posts: 14 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    ending my cut in 7 days. :dizzy:

Gonna have the biggest damned bowl of spaghetti you ever did see. Decided to end it around 13% ... because it's been 4 and a half months on this cut and I'm sick and tired of it. I tossed around the idea of trying for 10% and super ripped - but nah, don't wanna. Ended up at 192# but will probably blow up to close to 200 once I start eating a normal amount of carbs. Start weight in December was 238. I don't think I lost too much muscle, but the only real metric I have is that my lifts didn't suffer. I did cut back volume - mostly just cut 1 set out of my routine for each compound lift and instead of 1 strength and two hypertrophy days per week I did 3 strength days until the last two weeks where I cut a complete day out of my routine. Joints are screaming and I hope getting back into a surplus helps.

If your profile pic is current, then I'm sending heart eye emojis to you in my mind. No need to cut further.

Thanks! It's a few weeks old. I've dropped another 7 or 8 pounds since then and only look a tiny bit leaner but feel exponentially more grouchy. ;)
    sardelsa wrote: »
    ending my cut in 7 days. :dizzy:

Gonna have the biggest damned bowl of spaghetti you ever did see. Decided to end it around 13% ... because it's been 4 and a half months on this cut and I'm sick and tired of it. I tossed around the idea of trying for 10% and super ripped - but nah, don't wanna. Ended up at 192# but will probably blow up to close to 200 once I start eating a normal amount of carbs. Start weight in December was 238. I don't think I lost too much muscle, but the only real metric I have is that my lifts didn't suffer. I did cut back volume - mostly just cut 1 set out of my routine for each compound lift and instead of 1 strength and two hypertrophy days per week I did 3 strength days until the last two weeks where I cut a complete day out of my routine. Joints are screaming and I hope getting back into a surplus helps.

Yea the feeling when the cals increase is fantastic.. you look pumped and the lifts feel so good.

Did you do any refeeds or diet breaks? I do a pasta refeed on the weekend, basically I have three bowls of pasta or so (which I work into my deficit) on one of my high cal days. It worked so well for me last cut, so hopefully this time it's the same

Good luck with the last days of your cut :)

No real diet breaks or traditional refeeds. I did eat a ton during Chinese New Year (wife is Chinese and I'd of taken a lot of heat from her family if I hadn't stuffed my face). What I was doing was having a very high fat day on Saturdays. I have this thing for spicy Korean fried chicken and we'd go out and I'd blow half my days calorie allowance on wings, rice and octopus balls. I did move from very low carb at first and moderate fat to low fat and higher carbs. The super low carb thing was a no-go in the gym. I kept my calorie goal about 2200-2400 during the entire cut, very high protein.

I had a LOT of flubber to lose and could afford a very aggressive cut at first.... I'm not kidding. Let me introduce you to King Panda... This was mid December at 238#

ssamvbg618fo.jpg

This was about 200# a few weeks ago.

g5d1fg35vfx3.jpg

Very good mate, props from the UK 🇬🇧💪
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    davew0000 wrote: »

That's something you have to determine for yourself, unless you're looking at entering into some type of physique competition. For myself, I could probably maintain at 10%, at which I consider myself "real lean", but I think at my age, 55, I look better at around 12%, particularly in the face. Age+'real lean' tends to make me look gaunt.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Picture didn’t attach on my original post, here are the four options in photo form. Cerakote all over with black sleeves across the board.

I ended up going with the grey, because I'm boring. The cerakote on the sleeves may not be as durable as advertised. I've only used it to bench, cleaned the inside of any plate I've used, and really gently slid plates on and off but there's still some signs of wear after a few workouts. The cerakote on the shaft/knurling feels amazingly good though; I'm thinking my expectations were a little askew for the sleeves.

Lifts are going well too. As I sit as my desk now I'm really feeling my workout from earlier this morning. Worked my way up to two working sets at 275 lbs for 2 reps each, followed by three sets of 235 lbs for 4-5. I was also down to 175lbs this morning with some better adherence this last week. Maybe the new bar was the trick :wink:
  • dharbolt
    dharbolt Posts: 15 Member
    Picture didn’t attach on my original post, here are the four options in photo form. Cerakote all over with black sleeves across the board.

I ended up going with the grey, because I'm boring. The cerakote on the sleeves may not be as durable as advertised. I've only used it to bench, cleaned the inside of any plate I've used, and really gently slid plates on and off but there's still some signs of wear after a few workouts. The cerakote on the shaft/knurling feels amazingly good though; I'm thinking my expectations were a little askew for the sleeves.

Lifts are going well too. As I sit as my desk now I'm really feeling my workout from earlier this morning. Worked my way up to two working sets at 275 lbs for 2 reps each, followed by three sets of 235 lbs for 4-5. I was also down to 175lbs this morning with some better adherence this last week. Maybe the new bar was the trick :wink:

New bar always does the trick. just picked up a rogue deadlift bar in e-coat and set a new pr on the first session!
  • steveko89
    dharbolt wrote: »

New bar always does the trick. just picked up a rogue deadlift bar in e-coat and set a new pr on the first session!

I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider throwing 290 on the bar for a PR attempt for the second set.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider throwing 290 on the bar for a PR attempt for the second set.

I haven't really done it since I switched from endurance to resistance training, but I always ran faster when I got new running shoes. That's kinda subjective since my Garmin running watch said otherwise, but I'm pretty sure the humidity and temperature on those days was throwing off the GPS accuracy. :p

Admittedly, it's a bit more difficult to be "subjective" with lifting PRs, although maybe the coating on the new bar that hasn't worn off yet is adding a little extra weight. :smile:
  • steveko89

I haven't really done it since I switched from endurance to resistance training, but I always ran faster when I got new running shoes. That's kinda subjective since my Garmin running watch said otherwise, but I'm pretty sure the humidity and temperature on those days was throwing off the GPS accuracy. :p

Admittedly, it's a bit more difficult to be "subjective" with lifting PRs, although maybe the coating on the new bar that hasn't worn off yet is adding a little extra weight. :smile:

I haven't weighed it but allegedly the cerakote isn't thick enough to provide any appreciable difference in weight or knurling texture. I also just realized my bars are all 20kg but my plates are all in lbs... that will now forever bother me but there's no way I'm going to try to replace 800+ lbs of plates or four barbells in this market.
  • dharbolt
    dharbolt Posts: 15 Member

I haven't weighed it but allegedly the cerakote isn't thick enough to provide any appreciable difference in weight or knurling texture. I also just realized my bars are all 20kg but my plates are all in lbs... that will now forever bother me but there's no way I'm going to try to replace 800+ lbs of plates or four barbells in this market.

I feel your pain, wanted the deadlift bar but it only comes in 20 kilos. everything else I own is in lb as well...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,481 Member
    Lol, I've been bulking the last 5 years! At a highest weight of 218lbs last March, I'm currently down to 180lbs and shooting for 165lbs by year's end.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • nexangelus
    We do kg in the UK, which is weird cos I thought it would be Imperial measurements here *shrug*

Am at goal weight, weighed in at 140.2 lbs this morning. Now to build :smile:
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    davew0000 wrote: »

Sub 10% would be the popular consensus....some of us would call that the "shredded" territory.

• fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    KHMcG wrote: »
    I think I've finally hit my bf goal. Skulpt has me at 9.5% which might be a bit low but it's close. I'd appreciate more eyes to confirm. I'm 55 years old, 6'2" tall, sitting at 172lbs. I've been lifting about two years now but an overly aggressive bulk had me cutting for a good fraction of that time and the quarantine put a bit of a damper on that as well. Below is a link to a Google photos album of my "best" poses. Side note, selfie photography and physique posing obviously aren't my strong suit. Lighting is tricky and posing well is surprisingly difficult. Lol

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CMx4Yr8PSb8bknEc6

Note: MFP doesn't like the link, not sure how to correct that. Here's the most representative I suppose. 😬

0tvbobpsba4i.jpg

Awesome. Congrats!

Much respect, you look fantastic! I personally know how arduous the journey is to achieve that condition....keep up the good work!

• alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    alexmose2 wrote: »
    And, I am back!

Spent 8 weeks not tracking calories just hitting steps best as I could and keeping up strength training workouts. Guess what, no weight gain! In fact, perhaps 1-2 lbs lost?? Not sure if this rolled into any physique changes (pics tomorrow), but turns out I CAN intuitively eat! However, I will go back to tracking, just to ensure I am hitting my macros. What did I do for 8 weeks? See below:

Workouts: 4 days week, 2/upper, 2/lower. The odd core session, but mostly just did about 3 sets at the end of each workout. Steps: 10-14K per day! Easy enough, as I was pretty active.

Food: Each meal/snack I thought: ok, what is my protein/carb/fat going to be this meal? Keeping a loose tally of protein count was the goal. Eating a leaner meat at lunch allowed for a fattier meet (beef, steak, etc.) at dinner. Occasional pizza!

Back to our regularly scheduled program. Going to finish PHUL and hit steps. Thanks all!

Left is Jan 16. Right is Mar 14. My logic tells me to bulk but with summer coming....ugh! Be honest, can you tell a difference?

e02ggm0t0m4z.jpg
    mi68pbdtg1lq.jpg
    p60b00r345i0.jpg
  • nexangelus
    edited March 2021
    @alexmose2 are you cutting? I have to be frank and say it looks like you are losing lean mass girl....you look leaner and more full in January, the pics on the left....I think you need to up cals and gain some weight/muscle....